Best video game video capture device?

Taren Fox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Is the Hauppauge HD PVR still considered the best? It doesn't have HDMI, and the HD PVR 2 only has HDMI and no composite for older systems. I'm really interested in recording game video. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them. (-: Thanks!

I own the original Hauppauge HD PVR (actually am selling it + Xbox / Wii / Wii U com cables and S-Video for PS3), had a Diamond HD PVR (sold to another cag), had a Black Magic Shuttle Lightning and currently use a Elgato Game Capture HD and can say they're all pretty similar.

I would start by saying you SHOULDN'T consider any brand you never heard of. I got one to review and everything about it was low quality (even picture play back) and just wasn't worth the money to even consider. Additionally, I would suggest avoiding Black Magic. While Black Magic is a professional brand, it's a LOT less user friendly than other devices. Every other device worked with minimal effort, where as the Black Magic took 2 hours to get picture on my TV and another hour to actually get gameplay footage.

Now between the Elgato and Hauppauge, I don't really notice a difference. I mostly upgraded so I could easily swap between systems, which is something you might want to consider. The Elgato has a better program / easy to stream, where as Haup has lower spec requirements / uses less PC resources (since it does more of the heavy lifting). Not a whole lot to say, since I think they're both fantastic devices. However, keep in mind that the PS3 doesn't work via HDMI, so HDMI support doesn't matter with the PS3, nor does it really make enough of a difference (in my opinion) to matter.

Hauppauge HD PVR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlNs7Mm4aCA&feature=youtu.be

Elgato

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT-vwu6XGmI

With all of this being said, I would suggest avoiding the HD PVR 2 (it has a LOT of complaints, can't say personally though) and go with the original HD PVR if you have a weaker computer. If you have a stronger computer, don't mind a possible slowdown while recording and want to switch between several systems quite often, then I would suggest going Elgato. Doesn't make a huge difference though, since I really notice no difference between either device.

If you have any other questions / comments, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back