Best way to get rid of old games?

aktick

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I have a lot of old PS2 games (as well as PS1 games), and I've finally realized that I'm never going to play any of them again. What is the best (most economically savvy
wink.gif
) way to get rid of them?

Trade in at a game store?

Sell on ebay?

Trade here or at other boards?

I'm sure it's game dependent, but generally speaking...what would you recommend?

Also, how about the systems themselves...obviously the PS1 has very little value, but how would you recommend getting rid of it and a PS2?

Thanks.

List those games here, I'm sure some of us would be very interested as long they are in good shape.

As for the ps2 are you looking to upgrade, or just get rid of it?

Someone here would probably be interested in that as well.

Just don't go to GS/EB...

The best ways to get rid of old games is to trade them here for games that you will play and then if no one wants them sell them on ebay. Don't take them to EB/Gamestop because they will just rip you off.

I would recommend selling the PS1 on ebay during christmas time (the christmas buying season for ebay is almost here), someone will buy it for sure, and you will get a decent amount of money for it, considering its value. There are people here who are looking for all sorts of gaming things, don't thow it away just because its "old".

Thanks...I've got a 360, and will get a PS3 at some point, just never play the PS2 at all anymore since I got GH2 for 360.

[quote name='aktick']I have a lot of old PS2 games (as well as PS1 games), and I've finally realized that I'm never going to play any of them again. What is the best (most economically savvy
wink.gif
) way to get rid of them?

Trade in at a game store?

Sell on ebay?

Trade here or at other boards?

I'm sure it's game dependent, but generally speaking...what would you recommend?

Also, how about the systems themselves...obviously the PS1 has very little value, but how would you recommend getting rid of it and a PS2?

Thanks.[/quote]

Most stores don't take PS1 stuff anymore, not even Gamecrazy, PLUS, if you have anything worth ANYTHING(Suikodens, Silent Hill, Intelligent Qube), you'll want to sell someplace where you'll get the MOST you can for those games.

That's why I'd suggest EBAY for the rarer games. Do multiple searches on completed auctions for each game you have, to assure that you can get a reasonable idea of what the games are worth.

And, if you're planning on selling ANY of them here, DON'T GO WITH THE FIRST OFFER SOMEONE MAKES YOU FOR THEM!!! People are here to get the best deal they can and will seriously, seriously LOWBALL you to try and get your games off you for nothing.

Then, THEY will turn around and Ebay them and come here to gloat about it.

If you wish, you can PM me a list of the games for PS1/PS2 you have and I'll even do some of the searching FOR you. I don't want to see a newbie get screwed by the lowballers online.

As for the systems, if you have a model SCPH-39001 or higher model PS2, it's worth better money than the early models, since those were Disc Read Error prone. I'd definitely ask for about $50-70 for it, though many online would want you to do it for that price SHIPPED.

As long as the system works great(no DREs or other problems, comes with an original dual shock 2 controller and maybe includes a memory card with it), you should have no problems selling it online.

As for the PS1, like someone else said, wait till Christmas shopping season to put it on Ebay, as someone will always want a PS1 or other system for their kids or whoever for Christmas, specially if it's kinda cheap.

Any accessories you have(spare controllers, memory cards) should go for $10 or so each, as long as they work alright.

But again, I MUST WARN YOU!!! DO NOT ACCEPT THE FIRST OFFER YOU GET FROM ANYONE ONLINE!!! And, if you have the Suikodens or Silent Hills or Intelligent Qube for PS1/PS2, don't be lowballed into selling them.

While Silent Hill(the original) only shows up as a 1 on Digital Press' rarity guide, it is still sought after and goes for $30-40 or more.

Here's a link to the DP rarity guide, simply type in the game name in the title heading and look for your verions(US/foreign release):

http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/search.cmf

Hope this helps you to not get screwed over in cyberland while trying to sell your older games.

If you want more advice, feel free to PM me with a list of any games you have for each system.

If you don't need the money or you aren't going to get what you thought you might try donating to a kid's hospital or military charity.

^I donated some pokemon cards in accident and I went to see if they had them and they said they threw them away since they are considered to be demonic.

Could you help me cheapestgamer?
I have a Fat PS2 w/ network adapter and all the cables.How much would I get?I also have a broken PSP that doesn't work so I thought I would get more for trading it to EbGames.

[quote name='snakelda']^I donated some pokemon cards in accident and I went to see if they had them and they said they threw them away since they are considered to be demonic.

Could you help me cheapestgamer?
I have a Fat PS2 w/ network adapter and all the cables.How much would I get?I also have a broken PSP that doesn't work so I thought I would get more for trading it to EbGames.[/quote]

A fat PS2, as long as it's not one of the first models(30001,30001R), should go for about $60-75 if you have at least ONE controller(original Dual Shock 2) to go with it.

At least, that's what I would sell it for, since I don't like to let my stuff go cheap. If you were thinking of trading it into Gamestop though, it won't get you much of anything there. Better off using Craigslist and putting up $65 as your price. If you're a little negotiable with it, people will bite, but just don't take next to nothing for it.

As for the broken PSP, I don't have any clue as to what GS would give for it, but I'm sure you could sell it on CL for $50-60 easily. Or if you still wanna try and get some use out of it, call up Sony and see what they'd end up wanting in order to repair it. Their # is 1-800-345-SONY.

As long as you haven't opened the system and done any major modifications to it, you should be OK to send it into them. I really wish FYE took in used systems, since their trade values are exemplary on games, but as far as I know they don't.

Best of luck either way....

You bitch and whine about how much you hate ebayers and then you suggest someone to sell on ebay.

God you get on my nerves.

Hello?

Goozex? Its not the typical peer to peer trading system... I have used it for a bit now and would never trade to a strore and most likely rarely seel on ebay for games... unless they dont offer the trades on goozex due to it being an older system (Snes, PS1, etc).

Check Goozex out. I have a link below you dont have to use it, but its there.

[quote name='kube00']List those games here, I'm sure some of us would be very interested as long they are in good shape.

As for the ps2 are you looking to upgrade, or just get rid of it?

Someone here would probably be interested in that as well.

Just don't go to GS/EB...[/quote]

I don't want to become the GS/EB cheerleader, but I just racked up over $500 in credit using them. It's possible to do well by them, but you have to know what you're doing, use the CAG wiki, and exploit their trade in deals to your benefit.

Absolutely do not just take a huge pile of games into GS/EB, since there are way too many games where they'll give you next to nothing.

[quote name='Cmosfm']You bitch and whine about how much you hate ebayers and then you suggest someone to sell on ebay.

God you get on my nerves.[/quote]
Damn right I did, because I know there are some here who would only look to screw the OP down to next to nothing on their games, then turn around and flip them on Ebay themselves. I'd rather see the OP make the money and not some greedy, self centered Ebay whore on here who si out to make the most profit at others expense.

I recommend selling the broken PSP on ebay, people will pay crazy money on there for parts for their systems and for broken systems that you think may be worthless, be sure to do some research into what motherboard it has and stuff, because people are looking for those parts to repair their systems. If you are specific enough you will get something for it.

Also, if you still want to play the system you could call sony and see what they charge to repair it, it might be cheaper than purchasing a new unit.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']have you checked out www.estarland.com ? They have great trade in prices[/quote]

I wanted to get back to this, since after you mentioned them, I checked them out.

On 9/6, I mailed them 17 games that fetched crap prices at EB/GS. Like $1 or $2 each, if that much. There were some games that I held on to -- in general, they pay more but there were some games that fetched only a little.

They received them within a week, and then it went to "Processing", where it stayed until yesterday or today.

I could have used my credit immediately -- if you give them your credit card info, you can use your pending credit even before they receive your games. But I wanted to see how long it would take, and if I would get the all the credit they promised.

I did. For my games, I got $99.99, which includes credit for shipping.

This is getting put into Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I have just enough to afford both.

I would recommend them as a place to trade games, although they say that the games need to be immaculate and have both manual and box.

bread's done
Back