Best way to...get stuff from GS/EB?

georox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
130 (100%)
Anyone have a particular trick to getting GS/EB people to pass ya the cases they pitch/cardboard displays/etc.? Special stuff to do?

If you're a fairly regular customer or if they know your face, they'll usually give you that stuff if they're going to throw it out anyway. You just have to ask them and usually they'll just take down your name and phone #.

But usually, managers or employees keep the good stuff.

Save yourself the humiliation of interacting with a GS/EB employee, and raid their dumpster after hours instead.

~HotShotX

Well I've been a regular at the one since it opened and I think I'm kinda-known enough by the manager, they've work there for years.. may have to go in and bug em more. Last time I missed out, some old lady came in an hour before me and looted em dry >_>

[quote name='HotShotX']Save yourself the humiliation of interacting with a GS/EB employee, and raid their dumpster after hours instead.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

Dumpster diving is less humiliating?

I guess the key is to make sure noone sees you talking to the GS/EB employee or diving in the dumpster.

Honestly, all of my sources here have dried up, since they switch the employees around from store to store so much anymore here. It's ridiculous, if you ask me, as the one manager who was cool with me grabbing stuff they were just gonna toss anyway has now taken his DMs hardline approach AND been switched to manage the store where they put all the guides and other crap I usually grabbed in the back.

Only time I get lucky anymore is when the one pair of guys who loathe their DM are working at night and well....with gas being OVER $3 a gallon, I'm not about to 'scope out' the store night by night to know when they're working JUST for a guide or three or some PC game I'll never play.

Make sure you're well-known before attempting this, and in a good way. I never had success asking at Gamestop, but that's because I leave empty-handed about 4/5 of the time I go in there. =P If you're perceived negatively, they'll just say no; if you're not known at all, you'll just hear the company line ("Sorry, we're supposed to return them to the company"-often spoken by the same person who intends to take it home after close)

You might try other places for these displays. Big-box stores will usually say the same company line (I get denied at Toys R Us every time, for example) but some of your smaller/non-franchise video stores can be a hit. My family scored some movie displays from one such store when we needed some for a school event. Maybe if you say you're on the prom committee and you want to run a video game theme? *shrugs*

If all else fails, remember: these are just big pieces of cardboard. There's nothing inherently special to them except some value as conversation piece and as a limited, somewhat impractical, means of storage. If it sounds like I'm disillusioned, I am: I tried to get the New Super Mario Bros. display last year and got denied at every single place I tried. After that experience, it's no longer worth it to me.

Yeah they're far too possessive of their cardboard. At my store we usually just give it to people that want it or throw it away. None of us want it and it usually makes customers happier when they get something like that. Making people happy wasn't ever their agenda though :lol:

You do realize that the more elaborate standees can be pretty pricey...right?

I think it was a Disney/Lucas Arts rep that told me that some of their fanciest standees cost $100+ each, I don't know how much truth is in that statement, but I can see how producing something as large as that in relatively small (probably less than 1000 units) could be expensive. I don't know how they go about printing those things and cutting out the pieces, but you sure has hell don't do it with an inket and scissors.

It might cost $100 to make one but with mass manufacturing between businesses the cost per each is probably around $19 if not less. They also have no value after the promotion they're there for is done either.

One of the Gamestops around here, the first time I went in there they gave me a bunch of crap. I didn't even ask them. Gears swag, some Test Drive Unlimited display, and a couple of other things.

From my experience, all you need to do is walk in the door.

I have gotten bad ass stuff from work.

KH II standee
NSMB standee
GoW I & II standee
countless gaming shirts
countless pre-order bonuses
3 copies of Metal Gear 3 LE version
Halo xbox
xbox and nintendo neon lights

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']I have gotten bad ass stuff from work.

KH II standee
NSMB standee
GoW I & II standee
countless gaming shirts
countless pre-order bonuses
3 copies of Metal Gear 3 LE version
Halo xbox
xbox and nintendo neon lights[/quote]

If they just made preorder shorts, I would never need KMart.

i've always wanted the xbox and nintendo neon lights, especially the xbox live neon light. My store never gets rid of 'em.

[quote name='red flare graf']One of the Gamestops around here, the first time I went in there they gave me a bunch of crap. I didn't even ask them. Gears swag, some Test Drive Unlimited display, and a couple of other things.

From my experience, all you need to do is walk in the door.[/quote]

My inner Test Drive Unlimited fan wants that display. XD

[quote name='monkeydeew']pre order lots of stuff and get game informer for your whole family[/QUOTE]

when i got the game informer card, i told the dude i didnt want the magazine just the card, so he asked if he could get the mag subscription, i figured he got it anyways as an employee of thie store, but he said he didnt. So he remembered me every time i went in after that, i dont ever really want anything extra, but be cool to them, they will be cool to you.

Not at my local stores, that whole 'they'll reciprocate' thing don't work out EVER for me. Then again, I think I'm known as 'the guide and pennied item guy' at them all. LOL

Now, had EB not been absorbed into the corporate slime known as GS I might still consider giving them SOME of my business other than times when it truly favors ME. Otherwise, I sit back n wait for the GOOD trade deals(this last one sucked, imo) and watch my backlog grow thanks to CAG.

If not for me joining this site, I would never have been able to say 'I have a backlog', since I usually only bought 1-2 games at a time before.

Anyway, it IS highly YMMV if your local GS/EB drones will give you any 'free shit' without pre ordering alot of crap you would never want on a bad day and buying the aforementioned GI/Edge card for your entire family.

bread's done
Back