Best way to PC game in my living room with my PC in another room?

ZForce915

CAGiversary!
Feedback
112 (100%)
My PC is in my bedroom and must stay there. I do have a wired setup through my basement for my cat5 cables so I could easily get a 50ft HDMI cable from my PC to my TV.

So assuming I do that, how would I go about getting mouse/keyboard or 360 controller to work on my TV with my PC being so far away? Am I asking for too much here or is there a solution I'm just not seeing?

Be safe and use a condom though.

And on a serious note, if you are going to be running that much HDMI cord or any cord you might as well do what crystalklear suggested below and just run a USB cable along with it and connect a hub to it. Then just run any keyboards/controllers from the hub.

Maybe people with wireless controllers/keyboards can input but I don't know how well anything wireless would work that far away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wireless works well for about 20 feet. Through levels in your house is very spotty. BT has a better rate of staying connected, but those batteries are on constant death watch.

I can't think of an acceptable way to do this which will output with gaming quality aside from using long cords.

I've used KVM over IP equipment, but that was on servers: loss of video quality isn't a big deal, and response time being slightly laggy isn't all that big a deal either. Not acceptable for gaming, obviously.

I've been thinking of putting my gaming PC in my front room anyway, and hooking it up to my projector for occassional game playing (it would connect as a second monitor). What I want to do is get rid of my computer desk and get a coffee table where I can stash a keyboard and monitor inside it. Then I just sit on the couch when I need to use the computer.

I think you should build a mini-fragbox PC in the living room and make it looks like any other device out there.

[quote name='WindyCityGamer']I built a gaming rig with a Shuttle XPS a few years back. Those things are great.[/QUOTE]

From 2013 forward those are the types of cases I will be using for the home. I had a lot of fun making my last frag box and since I'm not really chasing games with my tech...that would make the home look extra high tech + allow me to be the PC gamer that I am.

[quote name='WindyCityGamer']Another thing, my tolerance for noise is completely gone. If my PC isn't completely silent, something is wrong with it.[/QUOTE]

That's why I dust my machines weekly :)

I still remember when a gaming rig would sound like a jet taking off :shock:

I got tired of that a looooooong time ago. It was really satisfying to see other people start embracing the "quiet pc" trend, if for not other reason than it became cheaper to have a silent pc.

[quote name='WindyCityGamer']I still remember when a gaming rig would sound like a jet taking off :shock:

I got tired of that a looooooong time ago. It was really satisfying to see other people start embracing the "quiet pc" trend, if for not other reason than it became cheaper to have a silent pc.[/QUOTE]

That last PC I had that sounded like that was my 500 Mhz Windows 98 SE rig. After that they were all silent rigs...unless something seriously wrong was about to happen.

bread's done
Back