best way to remove those horrible GS stickers?

If the sticker is fairly new here is a good way:

1) peel the sticker as much as you can
2) use a wet cloth to rub the remaining paper sticker off until only the sticky film is left
3) dry off all the water
4) use scotch tape to remove the remaining sticker residue. The residue will stick to the scotch tape

If the sticker is very old, you may have to use goo gone. It may take a few tries with the scotch tape to get all the residue off

If your out of scotch tape or lazy, I just reuse the sticker. Just put it over the sticky, press, peel. Slowly it'll all come off.

Also, goo b gone does work, used it a few times myself.

if it's a ps3, wii or xbox 360 game i would probably replace the case with another newer one if the sticker leaves residue

uhm... maybe try slapping some Mayonnaise on it, leave ithere for like 5-10 minutes. and gently wipe clean. Works on tons of other things. worth a last-ditch effort.

I use a blowdryer to heat it up, and the stickers usually just peel right off. *doesn't work with ancient ones though

I use Goo Gone religiously on some of those cases. Be sure to take the inserts out if you do though as the stuff leaves stains in paper materials. Sometimes its just better to get a new case if the residue is bad enough.

A blow drier to heat the glue under the sticker so it peals right off, and Goo Gone to clean up any residue, though there usually isn't any. Works every time.

[quote name='enemyofusall']uhm... maybe try slapping some Mayonnaise on it, leave ithere for like 5-10 minutes. and gently wipe clean. Works on tons of other things. worth a last-ditch effort.[/QUOTE]

I shoot a different white substance on my cases. It hasn't worked yet, but I like to try.

Call me another vote for Goo Gone. It works.

Water? Hair dryer? Mayonnaise? Are you people trying to f*ck with this guy or are you just stupid?

Just use a rusty switchblade and some chewing gum. Apply the chewing gum in a circular motion, rubbing from the middle outwards. Then apply the switchblade and use a gentle stroking motion. Always face the blade of the knife towards yourself and cut towards yourself. That is the safest way... Make sure there is lots of rust on the blade. ;)

[quote name='forteblast']Call me another vote for Goo Gone. It works.

Water? Hair dryer? Mayonnaise? Are you people trying to f*ck with this guy or are you just stupid?[/QUOTE]

If you doubt my technique try it for yourself. It removes the sticker and all residue without leaving that oily feel on the case (like with goo gone).

Before you call people stupid, maybe you should see if the technique works or not. All those techniques do work to some degree... maybe not the mayonnaise.

[quote name='forteblast']
Water? Hair dryer? Mayonnaise? Are you people trying to f*ck with this guy or are you just stupid?[/QUOTE]

You're stupid. Blowdryer works perfectly unless it's a really old sticker where the paper has already separated from the adhesive. Goo gone for any remaining residue though there should be none if you heated it up enough.

I've found the disinfectant wipes with the scrubber side work well. Rubbing alcohol works well too.

And ditto to removing the inserts before cleaning.

[quote name='forteblast']Call me another vote for Goo Gone. It works.

I use olive oil. It works. Call me stupid all you want.

I use Shaq-Funaki's method as well as sometimes reusing the sticker like AionTelos suggested. :) Goo B Gone in extreme cases for some of those clear nasty stickers but only after removing everything from the case (insert/game/manual). Blow dryer for the shitty stickers they put on the inserts themselves. :(

(I'd love to hear a better method for taking stickers of the inserts without risking ripping the insert)

I pull it off slowly and reuse the sticker to remove the bits that are left. The new stickers remove fine like that. But if the game has an old sticker on it, then I take the inserts out of the case and use goo gone.

Also if you need to buy goo gone the craft stores have it, you can get 40% and sometimes 50% off coupons for the craft stores that apply to any regular priced item easily.

Everyones knocking on the mayo, sheesh. Haha I know for a fact it works on, hardcover books, cars, and also is good at removing sap and such. I will give it a try sometime and tell you guys for sure if it works on game cases

[quote name='salty tbone']I use olive oil. It works. Call me stupid all you want.[/QUOTE]
It's the oils in the mayo (and olive oil) that work. Peanut butter works for sticker residue as well, on the same premise.

Goof off is another good general "gunk" remover, although I haven't used it personally on sticker residue.

The problem with Goo Be Gone is that is leaves a oily residue behind. Takes a good 2-3 hours to completely dry/rub off in my experience.

Using a hair drier is the best one to try first since it leaves nothing behind like using a cleaning liquid or oil does.

If that doesn't work just take everything out of the case, including the cover art, and let it soak in water. After a good soak, you can just use your thumb to rub off what's left of the sticker.

Goo Gone leaves a awful smell and residue IMO.

Since everyone else is throwing out the most ridiculous, unorthodox methods ever, I will throw out mine.
Put a little bit of toilet bowl cleaner on the sticker. It will not only remove the sticker, but the case too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sasukekun']The problem with Goo Be Gone is that is leaves a oily residue behind. Takes a good 2-3 hours to completely dry/rub off in my experience.[/QUOTE]

I have never had that problem, it either dries in 5 min or I wipe off the goo gone with windex.

Goo Gone is the best method... though it's pretty messy. WD-40 doesn't work as good and/or requires more time. The hairdryer trick also works well if you know how to do it properly... it seems like most people fuck it up and end up warping the case or the window.

[quote name='blindinglights']Using a hair drier is the best one to try first since it leaves nothing behind like using a cleaning liquid or oil does.

If that doesn't work just take everything out of the case, including the cover art, and let it soak in water. After a good soak, you can just use your thumb to rub off what's left of the sticker.

Goo Gone leaves a awful smell and residue IMO.[/QUOTE]
That it does. It smells like a cross between oranges and grease. Very nasty smell at times. I've personally used lighter fluid to remove the portions of stickers that're left after trying to slowly peel them and failing.

I don't know if it's a new thing or not, but when I went in to pick up both Killzone 2 and 3 the other night at a nearby GS they only had a sticker over the UPC on the back of the case(and NOT the coverart) and one on the front in the usual spot. They have stopped using the third sticker on the spine in most cases from what I saw in that store. But even though they stopped using that third sticker, the other two they still use are half a size BIGGER than they used to be, since they list the regular used price and the price with PowerUpPro on them.
[quote name='VANDALHEART']The best way to do this is never to shop at Gamestop.[/QUOTE]
:applause:
[quote name='Dark Rider']Since everyone else is throwing out the most ridiculous, unorthodox methods every, I will throw out mine.
Put a little bit of toilet bowl cleaner on the sticker. It will not only remove the sticker, but the case too. :)[/QUOTE]
With the condition of some of the cases and coverart of some of the games from GS, I think that would actually be the best option.:puke:

They have a new kind of goo gone out now that is green, I have a bottle that I got for Christmas but I haven't tried it yet. It has a spray top on the bottle. The old bottles of orange goo gone are pretty hard to find now as Walmart and Target in my are don't have them anymore, the only have the green spray bottle. But I noticed you can still get the old style at dollar tree and at craft stores like JoAnn Fabrics (remember the 40% off coupons though).

Goof Off is what I use. Take all the paper out of the case and put a few drops of it on the stickers and let it soak in, then it should peel off. Clean up the residue with some more goof off and you're good to go.

I swear by the hair dryer method. I used to have some Goof Off, not Goo Gone, which I also swore by until I ran out and I'm too cheap and/or lazy to buy more. In fact, I'd just rub the whole case down with some on a cotton ball which made it shine like new.

The new stickers they have come off with with no hassle whatsoever, mainly because they're new. Slow and steady wins the race.

For my cases that end up with stickers i find it easier to just leave it on. Mind you I consider my self a collector. It just doesn't bother me like it used to when i did remove the stickers.

When you use a chemical it either leaves grease or a smell and overall is a pain in the ass stuff do deal with. If the sticker is already messed up with residue or the case is doubled stickered then I can see remvoing it.

Another problem i have when I use to take off my stickers is putting indentations into the case and even the artwork if you don't take it out.

Here is a video of the last batch of b2g1 games i got from gamestop. Ordered online and rolled the dice on getting complete games. Not only were they complete they were new converted to used. Anyway back on topic the stickers were on nice and clean so i just left them. I kind of point out the stickers but you can see my thumb on the stickers in the start up. When its clean like that i just leave them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMCgMa2lOlE

I hate those things. Every time I fill out those feedback things I always complain that they need to use a different kind of adhesive for their price stickers... and I never win the $500 giftcard. :cry:

I use lemon furniture polish- peel off as much sticker as you can, spray on, rub off with a cloth. It can take more than one run, but it always works- if there's a lot of paper left on, you can let it soak in to get more off faster... plus, it shines up shelfworn cases a bit. (it's also good for de-stickering cartridge labels, and can help with stickers stuck to inserts and manuals if you're careful.)

Compared to the old EB Games stickers(those lil square type ones) the current GS stickers are an absolute breeze to get off the cases if you have enough patience.

I swear they must've used super glue on those old EB Games stickers since they would NEVER come off regardless of how much Goo Gone you used.

For almost ALL stickers except for the *most* ancient of ancient ones... I just use my finger nail and VERY slowly, patiently, and methodically peel it off. My girlfriend and brother both like to have me take off their stickers because they know I have a 99% success rate.

I think the key is taking it slow and figuring out which corner/side is best to tackle the sticker. I just recently was able to get off a double sticker... when Gamestop puts a new sticker on top of an ancient one. It was tough but once you have one side/half clear off, you're all set from there.

I use cat sperm. Works perfect.

Serious = Peel sticker as much as possible then put Goop and leave it for an hour. Comes off like butter.
NON TOXIC and available at dollar tree.
Goo Gone is petroleum based.

bread's done
Back