Best way to ship a console?

Fanboy

CAG Newbie
I'm going to be auctioning off an Xbox console in the next week or so. It is brand new and still has the plastic wrapping on it (these one's came with a sealed wrap -- I know they usually don't).

My question is; how do I go about prepping it for shipping? Should I

a) just wrap the box with Kraft paper and send it on it's way?
b) put the box into another, bigger box, using packing peanuts/paper for padding?
c) wrap the box with bubble wrap, wrap the bubble wrap with kraft paper? (This one was my wife's suggestion).

The last time I shipped systems, I went with b), but the size of the box I needed to put the Xbox in increased the cost of shipping well beyond what I had charged the customer (cost almost $50 when I charged $25). So I'm not eager to do that again.

But, then again, maybe someone with knowledge can suggest a source for (preferably free/cheap) boxes that will suit my purposes.

Thanks!

I would put it into a bigger box with padding. If you just wrap the original box with paper it WILL get messed up, and I know that personally if I'm buying a boxed system, I want the box in good shape as well.

How the hell did something cost 50 bucks to ship? Did you ship overnight or something? UPS/Fedex ground shouldn't be more than 15 bucks at the most. I ship consoles frequently and using Fedex/UPS works out much better than using the USPS. Usually put the box inside a box with packing peanuts/air pouches and send it on it's way.

[quote name='mtxbass1']How the hell did something cost 50 bucks to ship? Did you ship overnight or something? UPS/Fedex ground shouldn't be more than 15 bucks at the most. I ship consoles frequently and using Fedex/UPS works out much better than using the USPS. Usually put the box inside a box with packing peanuts/air pouches and send it on it's way.[/quote]

Well, I got the box at the last minute and it was about 2x the size of the Xbox box (that's a lotta box). It was going from Rochester, NY to California and... well, after that with insurance... $48.xx.

The one I shipped to Cleveland was only $18 with insurance, so there seemed to be a big jump for the distance.

But, okay, advice taken! Thanks, guys!

You may have wanted to get a box that was only slightly bigger than the console box, if you got one twice the size they may call it oversized and charge you that ridiculous amount. I sent a PS2 from Roch., NY before to PA and it only cost about $12, with $5 of that being the cost of the box and packing materials. This was by UPS too if I remember right. If they tried to charge you anywhere near $50 and it wasn't for overnight shipping, then that is insane.

This reminds me of the time I sold a Saturn bundle to a guy in Spain for $100. He wanted FedEx shipping since the postal service there is unreliable, and it was $125!!! He paid up and I sent, got there in like 2 days. :)

bread's done
Back