Best way to take your Wii through an airport?

Hush

CAGiversary!
Sometime in March my sister and I are going out of town to visit some family and I plan on taking my Wii with me to play while we are there. We are flying down, so I was wondering what the best way to pack my Wii and get it through airport security would be. I definitely don't want to pack it in my checked luggage, so I plan on carrying it on the plane with me. Will security want to take it out like a laptop and put it through the scanner? Because I don't like the idea of my naked Wii system just sitting on the conveyor getting bumped by bins and tumbling down those roller things, haha.

I'm sure someone on here has taken their Wii on a plane, what was your experience like?

Thanks in advance.

If they make you take it out like a laptop then you'd put it in one of the plastic tubs (just like you do laptops) not just right on the belt.

Hehe, lucky you, I have Wii Airport experience. I bought mine one week after launch in the town of Reston, VA. I was there visiting family, and when the trip was over, I had to figure out a way to take it through airport security. I personally think the best way to take it is in the original box. The reason for this is because if you take it in a carrying case, they won't know what it is and will HAVE to open it. If the original box is there, they can see the box, know what its supposed to look like, then verify that through the x-ray.

I have the box wrapped with two big best buy plastic bags and stuffed tightly into a Nordstrom bag (which was just the right size I might add). I had a lot of other crap to bring to so I will say it was a tiring day (and Dulles had some wicked long lines for security.

But I had no trouble. I put it in a grey tray, sent it through the x-ray, and had it come easily out the other side. No questions about it, no wanting to open it, nothing.

And then in the plane I just put it between a couple of soft duffels standing upright in the overhead compartment and it was easy from there.

It was not as hard as I thought, but I will suggest that you use the original box and then use a bag roughly the exact same size but with strong handles and then you should have an easy time of it. One of those cheap canvas bags some grocery stores have for you to use/buy would work really well, I would imagine.

Anyways, good luck!

tape a big clock to it and run some wires into the box...

EDIT: maybe just stick with what the above poster suggested ^^^^^^

Airport security is horrible espically with luggage.They are too cheap to fork up a buck for inferred scan tag, the best route is to carry with you or shipped the package.

I have airport experience with my Wii as well. I bought the Wii in North Carolina, where I go to school, and was heading home for Thanksgiving and some awesome Wii action in NJ.

I had only had the Wii for about three days at that point so I was still in the "OMG, can't scratch the white plastics!!11!?" phase, but I took a chance and put the Wii in one of those gray containers and sent it on the belt. It came out unscathed! I suppose if you were really worried about it, you could wrap it in a shirt or something like that to prevent any scratches. I did get pulled aside to have my bags checked in Greensboro, but I'm fairly sure that was because of my HUGE power brick for my Dell Xps.

So anyway, don't worry too much about it. It may be a, dare I say, cute machine, but it's tough.

I too have taken my Wii through an airport on two occassions now. I put it back in the original box and put it into a suitcase that I then brought on as my carry-on item. Whatever you do, make sure it is your carry-on item.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably go with the original box method, and just stash the games in my backpack or something.

I just put mine in my backpack along with my other Christmas valuables so that itd be close to me just incase I ran into a group of azn kids at the airport. I carried it on and put it through their scanner belt thing and they didnt say anything, just let it through. This happened flying both ways, they dont care or see it as a threat i guess.

grab it with both hands, put it over your head, and start running. As you near security, start screaming "OMFG LOOK OUT THIS THING'S ABOUT TO BLOW!!!"

I bought my Wii in Sacramento but had to fly to SoCal to during uni break, I packed it in my check in luggage. Nintendo transports the Wii with that box, why can't I? I had no trouble, everything works fine, but I made sure it fit tightly so it wouldn't move around during flight. On the way back, the airline happened to lose my luggage for a day, but thats the risk I ran, I got it back just fine and everything.

Have a nice day.

i have the wii sling back so i put my set up in there adn then put that in side my carry on which is a side bag looking similar to a laptob case. went through the xray machines, no questions.

At this point, most people should know what the Wii is, either by looks or by name, so you shouldn't have much problems with just taking the unit with you. On the off-chance that they want to know what it is, just tell them. Same thing with a bunch of games. Personally, I stuffed over 50 games for various systems into a bag (along with my slim PS2) and used that as my carry-on a few years ago. The X-ray technician scrutinized it for a while, but it went through with no problems.

When I flew home for the holidays, I just took my Wii and PStwo and stuck them in my bookbag and took that on board with me. Everything was fine and I didn't need to take them out of the bag. I don't believe any console will cause any disturbance at the airport if you don't make a fuss out of it.

I took it with me in my carry on bag when I moved from Detroit to Orlando and didn't have any problems. I didn't keep it in its box because it was too bulky, I just wrapped it in a scarf and tossed it in with my blanket and pillow (late flight)

[quote name='CouRageouS']I'd carry it in a bullet proof briefcase, just like I do my Power Glove. I love the Power Glove.[/QUOTE]

It's so bad.

bread's done
Back