Best way to test used Xbox360 game for disc errors?

gamermonkey

CAGiversary!
Is there a way to run a test on an entire Xbox 360 game disc to verify if it has any read errors? I just traded a game and it has some average scratches (nothing deep) but it also has what looks like tiny chips on the edge of the disc. The place I traded it at guarantees a the games to work, but I dont plan on playing this for a couple of weeks.

Is there a way I can test the disc out?

[quote name='MrDubbs']just an fyi before you get flamed, you posted this in the wrong forum[/quote]

Sorry. Which forum should I have posted it to? This is related to trading, thought it could be discussed here.

[quote name='gamermonkey']Sorry. Which forum should I have posted it to? This is related to trading, thought it could be discussed here.[/quote]

This is for trade lists of things that people are trading, I would post it in the deal discussion, or perhaps in the Xbox 360 Forum

and I'm not aware of anyway to test the full game, other then just playing it. sorry i couldn't help more

I don't want to sound like a complete asshole, however, obviously, you should try a different game. If that game doesn't work, it's most likely your 360. Don't try a disc that's beaten up, meaning, chunks are missing, etc.. try a game that has minimal scratches or better. My 360 has played some pretty bad discs, so it's probably your 360.

If you find out that your 360 indeed has the unplayable disc error, try this method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo2c2x8idjc

[quote name='Chronotrigga']I don't want to sound like a complete asshole, however, obviously, you should try a different game. If that game doesn't work, it's most likely your 360.
[/quote]

I didnt say that the disc does not work, it loads just fine. I have a backlog of games that I want to play and I wont be playing this game until a couple of week or a month. It would suck if I have 1/2 way thru the game and I get a disc error. I wish there were a way to scan a disc for errors before playing. Ive done this in the pass when ripping audio CDs on a PC, but Ive never seen an app that does this for Xbox 360 games.

I must have misread. If the game runs, you won't get a disc error any time soon. Seriously, the only time the game won't run is if you treat the game like shit and kick it around and everything. As long as you take care of it, the game won't break. Unless, it's seriously gashed, etc.. then it probably won't work.

I don't see why you would be worried about this, as mostly everyone treats their games with some decency, especially if its a newly released game. Unless it's a rental, then most people don't take care of it very well.

Audio CDs and Games are very different. Whenever you take bad care of your audio CD, the music on there will become scratchy, staticy, and unplayable -- most likely, you pirated the music, and treat the CD like shit because you didn't pay anything for it. As for Xbox360 games, the chances are you didn't pirate the game, and will probably care for it better.

As for testing the Xbox360 game, I guess you can test it at a friends' house or something? This question practically answers itself because its mainly common sense. As for the game company you traded it to or whatever, it's their trading policy/warranty thing. If the game doesn't work, then go complain -- that's what its there for. There's no need to be paranoid about this shit if they have it covered, no?

If you aren't going to play it for a couple weeks, at least run it first whenever you get it and see if it runs or not. If it doesn't go return it and ask for a new one. Don't wait until a couple weeks later when you're going to run it, find out it's broken, be like OMGWTF!!! try and return it and they're like, well, you got it like 3 weeks ago, how do we know you didn't damage it? If you return it the day after since it didn't work, they'll believe you.

[quote name='Access_Denied']You could try installing it to the HDD.[/quote]

Thats a good idea, but I only have a 20GB drive which has 3GB left :(

[quote name='Access_Denied']You could try installing it to the HDD.[/quote]

This is definitely the best way, outside of playing through the game entirely. When I was looking for a good, used copy of Halo 3, which is notorious for DREs, I acquired three discs and attempted to play through each of them. Two of them ended up being bad copies while one played all the way through. Once the NXE came out, I tried installing each disc to the HDD: the two bad copies revealed the same DRE errors while the good copy was able to install correctly.

[quote name='KingBroly']Installing to the HDD won't help DRE's, as you won't be able to install them successfully.[/quote]

That's the point, to have to quick way to see if the disc unreadable at any point in the game without having to play through it.

If worst comes to worst bring in to a game store that does disk resurfacing.

[quote name='KingBroly']Installing to the HDD won't help DRE's, as you won't be able to install them successfully.[/quote]

That's pretty much the point I made in my post: a disc that has DRE issues will reveal them during an attempted HDD install, thus making this new NXE feature the best method of testing a disc.

I understand your worries. I bought Ico from EB a few years back in October to play on XMas and it played fine the entire game except... on the end boss and I could not complete the game. That was the last time I ever bought a used game- at least they let me exchange for a "brand new" game (you know, their opened new games).

bread's done
Back