BestBuy.com 3DS, Star Fox, Icarus, Zelda. 20$ each.

[quote name='opportunity777']I did not do anything special. I just made sure to choose the standard shipping option.

Product Total: $59.97
Shipping: FREE
Sales Tax: $4.20
Order Total (charged to credit card): $64.17[/QUOTE]

Interesting...No matter how I slice it, i have to pay for it -- unless I do store pickup which I might end up doing.

Totally in for Kid Icarus and Starfox. Been looking for a deal since I missed the $15 KI deal earlier in the year. Thanks!

[quote name='zeldaking']I want the answer to this too. Good question![/QUOTE]
The 3DS version of both Star Fox and Zelda are far superior to the VC options, it's like the video game equivalent of the Alien Quadrilogy that was remastered for Blu Ray. Graphics have been improved (the difference in OoT especially is night and day, Star Fox also looks better but it's not nearly as obvious), the 3D effect is well done, and gyroscope controls are interesting (but optional, if you don't want to use them you'll never know they are there). Another thing to note is that in OoT 3D you can carry more items without having to mess with your start menu, and the iron boots now count as an item instead of clothing, making the water temple far, far less tedious. And of course you get the added bonus of all the titles being portable. While StarFox 64's lack of online multiplayer is a criminal oversight, you can play with bots if I recall correctly and there's some fun to be had there too, the multiplayer in the 3DS version is totally new IIRC.

As for Kid Icarus, well that's the best 3DS game I've played yet. I admit it took me nearly half the game to get used to the land controls but I never experienced any discomfort holding the system and never even touched the stand after the 1st level (then again I have a regular 3DS, not a 3DS XL). Once you get used to the land controls the game is absolutely brilliant, everything from the level design to the story to the voicework, even most of the jokes were funny. Truly a phenominal game that was a steal at $40, really makes me sad to see it's been on sale as much as it has. Like Sin and Punishment SS, it seems to be a criminally unappreciated classic.

I just purchased a 3ds xl on Friday - I'm interested in kid Icarus but very skeptical of the controls. .. Is it worth trying it out for $20, or investing in super Mario 3d land instead?

What's the cheapest both these have been? I know Zelda has gone down before, but Star Fox I can't remember...btw I have no 3DS and I'm considering....

[quote name='Teqonix']I just purchased a 3ds xl on Friday - I'm interested in kid Icarus but very skeptical of the controls. .. Is it worth trying it out for $20, or investing in super Mario 3d land instead?[/QUOTE]

I got Kid Icarus for $15 back when they had the DOTD. I've played through a couple of levels and it's not a bad game. It does have strange controls (moving with the analog stick and then using the stylus to aim) but it's a decent game.

My advice would be to go for 3D land though. I started it and finished it recently and now I'm on the harder worlds. I think that it's my favorite on 3DS so far, as it demonstrates excellent use of 3D and really fun level design.

[quote name='Teqonix']I just purchased a 3ds xl on Friday - I'm interested in kid Icarus but very skeptical of the controls. .. Is it worth trying it out for $20, or investing in super Mario 3d land instead?[/QUOTE]

Get 3D Land, it's a great game. The problem with Kid Icarus is that the flight levels are very fun and the landscapes and backgrounds are gorgeous but all the on ground parts are awful. The controls are very wonky. The fact that it comes with a stand kind of says something about the controls.

[quote name='Glomerate']Interesting...No matter how I slice it, i have to pay for it -- unless I do store pickup which I might end up doing.[/QUOTE]

It is a mistake. If you chat or call customer support they can refund you the shipping.

Just picked up my in-store orders. Sale prices are marked in-store and they appear to be moving fast.

Just got off the phone with BB customer service, they said the 2.99 shipping charge was a mistake, and to call with your order number and they will take the shipping charge off. Just a heads up for those who don't want to pick up in store.

EDIT: FWIW, had to call back 3 times before I got someone competent enough to take the charge off.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PS2gamerGCN']Damn, that OoT 3D price is so good that I think I may purchase it despite the reality that I probably won't own an actual 3DS console for quite some time. Never know when we'll see it for $20 again..[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, $20 is hard for me to pass up and i probably won't ever get a 3ds, but for this price i have to get it.

got Star Fox 3d since i had the other two, been waiting for a deal on this since i rarely see this game drop to $20. also had a $5 reward certificate so made it $15 for store pickup ;D

Just to offer a counterpoint on Kid Icarus, I remember hating the game at first due to the controls. However, eventually I learned how to play the game without the stand (I generally play laying down, so I use my right hand to cradle the system while still having enough flexibility with the stylus) and now it's my favorite 3DS game easily. It really is a shame about the controls having such a sharp learning curve, because the game is so jam packed with quality otherwise. I have 40 hours logged and still have plenty to do.

So yeah, even though I paid 15 dollars for it, it's still definitely a good deal at 20.

3d land is a far better game than kid icarus, but $20 is not bad. Best Buy had it for $15 a couple months ago, so I would just wait on it.

For Star Fox and Zelda, the 3DS ports are definitive versions, IMO, and $20 is a good price for each. Star Fox feels like a rip-off at $40 because it's pretty short and doesn't have any new content, but $20 makes it a solid purchase.

Zelda is Zelda, you know what you're getting and it looks way better.

Also - this is why I have my doubts in digital distribution. If Nintendo would have a flash sale on the eShop like this, they'd have way more people embracing it.

[quote name='johnnypark']Also - this is why I have my doubts in digital distribution. If Nintendo would have a flash sale on the eShop like this, they'd have way more people embracing it.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't help that nintendo's online service is still terrible. If you have to replace your console or you upgrade its a big pain to get your downloadable content transferred (or worse you loose it all together). Why can't we just log into our account and redownload stuff on any console ugh.

I've bought plenty on xbox/ps3/steam (more so during sales /cry) but I've only ever bought a couple of games on my Wii and none on my DS/3DS. Rarely if ever do they do sales and the service is just blah.

[quote name='johnnypark']For Star Fox and Zelda, the 3DS ports are definitive versions, IMO, and $20 is a good price for each. Star Fox feels like a rip-off at $40 because it's pretty short and doesn't have any new content, but $20 makes it a solid purchase.

Zelda is Zelda, you know what you're getting and it looks way better.

Also - this is why I have my doubts in digital distribution. If Nintendo would have a flash sale on the eShop like this, they'd have way more people embracing it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Star Fox looks way better and Zelda seems almost like an entirely different game.

If you have a 3DS and are on the fence about picking these up because you've played them in the past, I whole-heartedly recommend picking them up at this price. These "ports" are actually more like remakes, and they've been remade in the best possible ways. Nintendo has breathed new life into both of these games.

[quote name='powersurge']It doesn't help that nintendo's online service is still terrible. If you have to replace your console or you upgrade its a big pain to get your downloadable content transferred (or worse you loose it all together). Why can't we just log into our account and redownload stuff on any console ugh.

I've bought plenty on xbox/ps3/steam (more so during sales /cry) but I've only ever bought a couple of games on my Wii and none on my DS/3DS. Rarely if ever do they do sales and the service is just blah.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, even the new Nintendo Network on Wii U is linked to your console. If you buy a new one, replace a busted one, etc. you can't just log in and re-download all your content, you have to send it in to them. Totally unbelievable. For $5 VC or eShop games, I'm fine, because I'll likely get my money's worth and if you can't retrieve it from a broken system, oh well. But for $40-60 retail titles, it's inexcusable to be using such an outdated system. But Nintendo likely won't learn from it because they have such a popular brand that it will still be profitable and they'll have no reason to improve the end user experience.

Looks like Amazon matched Zelda. I'm mobile or I'd post a link. Its under the more buying options. Just fyi for those that may have credit there.

Picked up Zelda in-store! The price wasn't listed as on sale, but it rang up for $20. I think it was the last copy out there though.

[quote name='MechaGojira']Picked up Zelda in-store! The price wasn't listed as on sale, but it rang up for $20. I think it was the last copy out there though.[/QUOTE]

Got me tempted on heading out to Best Buy to pick up Kid Icarus if it also will ring up at the sale price. Would order it online but mail has been getting stolen a lot recently at my house but probably will just do the instore pickup order in abit.

[quote name='roguejedi5']i probably won't ever get a 3ds, but for this price i have to get it.[/QUOTE]

Bro just read that over to yourself and see if it makes any sense. You need help. :D

[quote name='WuGgaRoO']Im on mobile so maybe i missed something.... where does it say free shipping?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately it's not free shipping. In fact I just talked to a best buy rep and they told me they aren't doing free shipping because it's a 3rd party vendor.

[quote name='Glomerate']Unfortunately it's not free shipping. In fact I just talked to a best buy rep and they told me they aren't doing free shipping because it's a 3rd party vendor.[/QUOTE]

They're full of shit. The banner on top of Best Buy site says "free shipping on everything at BestBuy.com," it was a mistake on the site to charge shipping for these, don't know why you think it's a 3rd party vendor. Contact CS and they will refund the shipping charge (If you get an incompetent CS rep, just hang up and call back).

I don't even think third parties sell on bestbuy.com.

[quote name='lassiterb']They're full of shit. The banner on top of Best Buy site says free shipping site-wide, it was a mistake on the site to charge shipping for these, don't know why you think it's a 3rd party vendor. Contact CS and they will refund the shipping charge.

I don't even think third parties sell on bestbuy.com.[/QUOTE]

It also says exclusions apply next to that. Which is what i was told. I don't think that, that is what they told me.

BTW I am going to call back now, I'll let you know what happens.

Yeah, if they say you can't get free shipping, they're not giving you the right answer. I also talked to some service reps before and after getting Star Fox, and after going through the customer service ring I was eventually told that I'll have my shipping costs refunded once the item ships. The guy I talked to before making the order told me about how some items are excluded from having free shipping, but after he checked on it he said that the games should qualify.

You probably got a new person who gave you an easy/incorrect answer, but the free shipping definitely is supposed to apply to the games. Unless, of course, something has changed in the past few hours. Either way, it's lame that you have to jump through hoops to get it sorted out.

Just called them again and got a guy who said the same thing the first guy said. After I pressed (and 20 minutes later on hold...) and told him this only applies to marketplace items and ship to store only, he finally said yes you were supposed to get fre shipping but I can't reimburse you until you receive the item. So I have to call back once I finally get it, give them the case # they gave me and then finally get my money back. Good God, it was like the guy didn't even know they have free shipping going on.

I should've just did, store pick up...

[quote name='Glomerate']Just called them again and got a guy who said the same thing the first guy said. After I pressed (and 20 minutes later on hold...) and told him this only applies to marketplace items and ship to store only, he finally said yes you were supposed to get fre shipping but I can't reimburse you until you receive the item. So I have to call back once I finally get it, give them the case # they gave me and then finally get my money back. Good God, it was like the guy didn't even know they have free shipping going on.

I should've just did, store pick up...[/QUOTE]

I don't know how well you guys have been paying attention but there is definitely a marketplace on Best Buy and has been for quite some time (maybe a year now?).

[quote name='GBAstar']I don't know how well you guys have been paying attention but there is definitely a marketplace on Best Buy and has been for quite some time (maybe a year now?).[/QUOTE]

While true, these 3ds games are not marketplace items. Those are marked on the pages when they're marketplace.

not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread but all of the online prices are the same instore.

I bought a 3DS and one of each game

I'd advise people to look at their local sears for any of the 3ds clearance games, if any are left, I got Star Fox 3d for 5 dollars recently at least. Just a reminder, not hot news (obviously to most).

I've been waiting for Star Fox to drop for so long! Already grabbed Zelda once when it went on sale (Amazon I believe) and same for Icarus (Best Buy previous sale).

Thanks OP! And thanks HyperG, I'll take a look at Sears while I wait for the ship-to-store.

[quote name='Mixer236']If you have a 3DS and are on the fence about picking these up because you've played them in the past, I whole-heartedly recommend picking them up at this price. These "ports" are actually more like remakes, and they've been remade in the best possible ways. Nintendo has breathed new life into both of these games.[/QUOTE]

Thanks to all for the recommendations. I ended up getting Zelda and Starfox in-store pickup this morning. Did a playthrough of Starfox, super fun actually and I intend to try the other paths soon (Slippy, you suck! :))

Kinda surprised no one mentioned this yet, but you can also PM this at Target and it will apply to the Buy One Get One 50% (saves about $10)+ if you have the Red Card.

[quote name='JediDeath']Kinda surprised no one mentioned this yet, but you can also PM this at Target and it will apply to the Buy One Get One 50% (saves about $10)+ if you have the Red Card.[/QUOTE]

Can you confirm this works? Wouldn't mind two 3DS games for $30+change.

edit - It won't work:

Holiday Price Matching: select online competitors

We’ll match the price if you buy a qualifying item at a Target store between Nov. 1 and Dec. 16 and find the identical item for less at Amazon.com, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, ToysRUs.com or BabiesRUs.com. Simply show us the current online price using your mobile device, or bring in a printed page showing the current online price by Dec. 16. The online price and availability will be validated by a Target team member at the Guest Service desk.
  • Excludes “Marketplace” prices: Price matched items must be sold by Walmart.com, Amazon.com, BestBuy.com, ToysRUs.com, or BabiesRUs.com; prices from 3rd party sellers on these websites will not be honored.
  • Excludes Target stores in Alaska and Hawaii.
  • Limit quantity of 1 online price match per identical item, per guest.
  • Must bring in original Target receipt when requesting the price match by Dec. 16.
  • The retail price must be shown on the competitor’s website and must be valid at the time the price match is requested.
  • The item must be the identical item, brand name, size, weight, color, quantity and model number.
  • Online prices from Nov. 22–26 are excluded.
  • Excludes online prices from competitors not listed above.

Was able to pick up Kid Icarus in store today was lucky got the last one on the shelf.

[quote name='litepink']Can you confirm this works? Wouldn't mind two 3DS games for $30+change.

edit - It won't work:[/QUOTE]

Maybe I just got the lazy Guest Service tm. We've also had several guests do it today. I mean you can try it if you want, worst they can say is no. Lastly, I think this sale goes on all week.

[quote name='Sion']Was able to pick up Kid Icarus in store today was lucky got the last one on the shelf.[/QUOTE]
Woah, same here! I thought they were sold out by the time I got there, but I lucked out.

Now if only you could price match on the eShop. I'd kill to have Star Fox on the go, no matter what.

bread's done
Back