Bestbuy.com / Dealtree EZtrade-in programs (trade games for BB gift cards or PayPal)

nakanenui

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
So I happened to find a list of their games that they are giving some good money on, I guess to compete with Gamestop. Here is a copy of the list. I dont know if you have to trade in more than 1 game to get the deal, but thought others would be able to chime in with their experience. Of note is the hot shots golf trade in for PS3 (if you were able to get it from the sears clearance).

link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-Games-Gadgets/null/pcmcat203500050000.c?id=pcmcat203500050000

Added by Io: Note that you can also trade games in using this site:
http://ebay.eztradein.com/ebay/
which is handled by the same processor (Dealtree) used for the Best Buy program. In this case, though, you can get PayPal payments instead of Best Buy gift cards. The trade-in values and processing methods seem to be exactly the same.

-----
I tried looking for the $20 and $30 trade in value games but came up empty, if you want to provide the link so I can add it here, let me know via PM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED: since it keeps getting asked

1. Can I take them to a physical store?
Games need to be mailed in. If you try to do an instore trade from the website it will redirect you to mailing it in.

2. How many days do I have to mail it in?
30 days from initiating the trade. Mail it in ASAP as the processing time until you get your money differs and could be a wait.

3. Are trade in quotes locked in or do they get valued at time of processing?
Get your games in fast enough and you will not have to worry about this. But the majority believe that you are locked in as long as it gets there before the 30 days are up.

4. Do games have to be complete?
Case, Manual, and working game are your only options. So yes, full credit if you have everything. But we are not too sure on how they determine scratches affecting playability (if they physically test the game during processing). Just clean all smudges and fingerprints prior to mailing, and if you have deep scratches it is up to you to chance them saying the game does not work.

5. What happens if they say the game is worth less than trade in quote?
You can either accept their valuation or PAY to have your game shipped back to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
So am I missing something here? I'm not seeing them offer any prices that seem any good, if I were to ebay the games myself (to get x3 the money). I'm not here to debate trades/gamestop/etc, but unless theres some +% promo or some sears-clearance-flip, I'm not seeing any advantage to this (beyond the simplicity). What's the hubbub?

Shit. The value on Rise Of The Argonauts for PS3 went down to $4 now on the search thing. They better gimme the quoted value of $9 though whenever they get around to evaluating my shit though.

Thanks for all these posts guys. I traded some stuff to Best Buy the other day and submitted some more for the PayPal Cash today. If all goes well, I'll be really happy. I'm a little nervous because I got pretty screwed trading with Spun.com over the fall but we will see how this all plays out.

[quote name='craig.courtney']The reviews for the people that run this (dealtree.com) are terrible. I think ill pass. Terms and agreements talks about the estimate doesnt mean anything, what they value it when they receive it is what you get. Seems shady, ill take the 7 dollar loss on Bioshock 2 from Amazon or sell/trade it here.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2409-p2-s1-d1.html[/QUOTE]

Damn that is horrible. I'll eat the $7 and send it to Amazon since I am sending games there anyways and have Amazon credit I'm accumulating.

[quote name='craig.courtney']The reviews for the people that run this (dealtree.com) are terrible. I think ill pass. Terms and agreements talks about the estimate doesnt mean anything, what they value it when they receive it is what you get. Seems shady, ill take the 7 dollar loss on Bioshock 2 from Amazon or sell/trade it here.

Does this mean they can change the value at ANY time just because they want to, or that they can change the value based on the condition of the item? Cause if it's the latter then it's not a HUGE deal to me since most of what I'd want to trade in is still brand new and sealed. If not, well...I'd hate to send in a game that's supposed to be worth $30 according to them, but then they change their mind and say they only want to pay $15.

Has anyone else dealt with Dealtree and had an okay experience (i.e. not being ripped off)? I don't mind if I have to wait a week or so longer than Amazon since a few of my games are worth almost twice as much through Dealtree. Thanks.

Dammit. I hope everyone gets their correct amounts back. I just shipped off AC2 on Friday. I just bought it when it was $29.99 a few weeks ago, so there should not be a single issue regarding quality of the item. I bought it, the game pretty much sat in my Xbox for 3 weeks, then it went back in the case. If I get any less than the $30 quote, that's bullshit.

Has anyone sent in basically new and sealed games? I'd send my games like that but I don't want to give them the opportunity to claim that "these are stolen".

[quote name='yruluis']Has anyone sent in basically new and sealed games? I'd send my games like that but I don't want to give them the opportunity to claim that "these are stolen".[/QUOTE]

I thought about it, but then figured they would say they're stolen and tell me I need to pay to ship them back. Either that or some doof at their processing center would open them like a klutz, mangle the discs and then blame me for the shitty discs and lower the TIV's on them.:roll:

Man I'm a little worry for one of my shipments, I dropped it off on thurs and the tracking with DC says USPS hasn't received the package yet. I hate USPS they refused to do a location scan for me. Does it mean it is in transit just that DC hasn't been scanned.

[quote name='hqn101']Man I'm a little worry for one of my shipments, I dropped it off on thurs and the tracking with DC says USPS hasn't received the package yet. I hate USPS they refused to do a location scan for me. Does it mean it is in transit just that DC hasn't been scanned.[/QUOTE]

yes most likely, i wouldn't be too worried.

I bought assassin's creed 2 for $30 brand new... I see now reason not to sell it back for the same price!

[quote name='backseatdog']yes most likely, i wouldn't be too worried.[/QUOTE]

what bothers me most is that the other package I've sent to them at the same time shows delivered.

I'll admit it..mine were sealed. If they decide to send them back no biggie..I'd rather they stay sealed. Only thing is if they open them and still decide to send them back..that will blow

[quote name='MrRosales']I'll admit it..mine were sealed. If they decide to send them back no biggie..I'd rather they stay sealed. Only thing is if they open them and still decide to send them back..that will blow[/QUOTE]

That's why I opened mine to be on the safe side.

i sent 10 copies of brutal legends and they were all sealed but i opened them up cuz i didnt want them to say they were stolen. they better not give me a quality excuse cuz i dont think they have ever even been opened.

[quote name='MrRosales']I'll admit it..mine were sealed. If they decide to send them back no biggie..I'd rather they stay sealed. Only thing is if they open them and still decide to send them back..that will blow[/QUOTE]

If you've been following, if they decide to send them back, you'll have to pay for the shipping costs both ways.

I can't wait to see what happens once the trades are accepted. I'm giddy with anticipation.

[quote name='hqn101']the boxes look like they actually fell off a truck[/QUOTE]
Buy four used PS3 games at Gamestop that have cases in good condition, swap cases, and then return them.

So what's the catch to all of this? I can buy Little Big Planet - GOTY Edition for ~$21ish each brand new. Can I just unwrap them, send them in, and get back $30 each? I currently own Little Big Planet, Assassin's Creed 2, and Left 4 Dead 2, but I can actually make more money by trading them all in, selling the gift card(s) to a friend for a minor discount, and then buying them again from Gamestop with their coupon stacking deal.

[quote name='Japakneez']They don't. I've done a trade through them before but hated it. Took way too long. Probably 3 weeks from the time i mailed until the time i received money. Its exactly the same as bestbuy.

Sorry guys, i didnt realize this bestbuy trade-in program was done by dealtree. I would've mentioned it a long time ago. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Based on reviewer "ebayjunkie11", he received a 3% fee on his paypal transaction with DealTree because "the transaction qualified as a 'sale' by me". Just something to keep in mind.

the shipping on this should be less than $10, that's messed up if they charge you $26+ if you want them to ship it back if they don't live up to their estimated tiv. damn i hope this is legit...

Those reviews are pretty scary. I'm second guessing using this site now.

I "tested the waters" with a copy of Tekken 6 I never play. I'm not sending my next shipment until I find out how they'll handle that one.

Ok, now I'm worried. I've got a copy of ACII and 6 copies of Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood (4 360 + 2 PS3) on the way to me that I was going to trade in. They haven't arrived yet. I'll keep my eye on this thread and see what results people have gotten. If it's looking grim I'll just return all of them to gamestop for a refund. I'll still have gotten 25%+10%(+10%), or thereabout, off on what I was really buying at the time via the coupons, so it's a win either way, just a pain and a disappointment.

EDIT: actually it looks like I'll still make a profit, albeit smaller, by trading into amazon, at least in the case of CoJ;BiB, so I'll do that. Locking in the trades in 5, 4, 3, 2...

[quote name='GuardianE']Those reviews are pretty scary. I'm second guessing using this site now.

I "tested the waters" with a copy of Tekken 6 I never play. I'm not sending my next shipment until I find out how they'll handle that one.[/QUOTE]
Any ideas as to how one would go about canceling a trade-in? Since I picked up L4D2 for $21 (EA), I think I just may keep it even if I play it mostly on PC.

Finally got an email confirmation that I'm getting 3 $30 gift cards in the mail in the next week. I had sent in LBP, FF 13 and Demons Souls. All opened but in greta condition. I would never sue the service again because you're not necessarly guaranteed the values they quote you. I got lucky but don;t want to press my luck again.

[quote name='Jeff Stephen']Any ideas as to how one would go about canceling a trade-in? Since I picked up L4D2 for $21 (EA), I think I just may keep it even if I play it mostly on PC.[/QUOTE]
If you haven't sent it yet, simply do not send it.

[quote name='dyne']Finally got an email confirmation that I'm getting 3 $30 gift cards in the mail in the next week. I had sent in LBP, FF 13 and Demons Souls. All opened but in greta condition. I would never sue the service again because you're not necessarly guaranteed the values they quote you. I got lucky but don;t want to press my luck again.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear that.

If we really look at all of these reviews though, there have barely been any posted in 2010. Even still, most of them involved buying something from them, or trading in a Wii over 6 months ago. I feel like everyone who uses this for trade-in should leave feedback on that site, positive or negative.

If you guys are trying to flip used Gamestop games to Dealtree, then understand you are basically committing to this deal. Gamestop only offers a 7 days return period for used games

[quote name='Japakneez']If you guys are trying to flip used Gamestop games to Dealtree, then understand you are basically committing to this deal. Gamestop only offers a 7 days return period for used games[/QUOTE]

The return window is extended for online purchases.

[quote name='dyne']Finally got an email confirmation that I'm getting 3 $30 gift cards in the mail in the next week. I had sent in LBP, FF 13 and Demons Souls. All opened but in greta condition. I would never sue the service again because you're not necessarly guaranteed the values they quote you. I got lucky but don;t want to press my luck again.[/QUOTE]

What was the total turn around time on yours (date you dropped them in the mail to date they gave you email confirmation)?

[quote name='Japakneez']If you guys are trying to flip used Gamestop games to Dealtree, then understand you are basically committing to this deal. Gamestop only offers a 7 days return period for used games[/QUOTE]

I've been considering flipping some of my GS credit to BB or into some PayPal.

Did you do the Paypal trade before; Japakneez? What was your experience with dealtree? Other than how long you mentioned it took to receive your credit, did they give you the quoted value? Did you have to jump through hoops to get it? Would you/are you trading in to them again?

[quote name='KansasFF']What was the total turn around time on yours (date you dropped them in the mail to date they gave you email confirmation)?[/QUOTE]

I believe I got my games in the mail 2 days after the thread was put up, so around the 9th. They received the games on Tuesday (the 13th). I got the confirmation this last Friday (the 16th). They say 7-10 days for the gift cards to be mailed.

[quote name='dyne']I believe I got my games in the mail 2 days after the thread was put up, so around the 9th. They received the games on Tuesday (the 13th). I got the confirmation this last Friday (the 16th). They say 7-10 days for the gift cards to be mailed.[/QUOTE]

Cool thanks. I sent in 3 (Rockband 2 Disc $20, LBP $30, Saints Row $5) on Friday so hopefully they give me full value too. I'll post back here on my outcome.

[quote name='GuardianE']The return window is extended for online purchases.[/QUOTE]

ah yes i believe you are right on that. 7 days for in store purchase of used games....and 30 days for online purchase of used games

[quote name='major morgan']I've been considering flipping some of my GS credit to BB or into some PayPal.

Did you do the Paypal trade before; Japakneez? What was your experience with dealtree? Other than how long you mentioned it took to receive your credit, did they give you the quoted value? Did you have to jump through hoops to get it? Would you/are you trading in to them again?[/QUOTE]

I've done two and it averaged 3 weeks from date of ship to paypal received. But this was several months ago. IO recently mentioned in the Gazelle thread that dealtree is now managing gazelle trades. I don't know if they are faster now but they seem to be (Refer to the gazelle thread for more info). Then again they are probably getting a spike in trades now :lol:

[quote name='Japakneez']I've done two and it averaged 3 weeks from date of ship to paypal received. But this was several months ago. IO recently mentioned in the Gazelle thread that dealtree is now managing gazelle trades. I don't know if they are faster now but they seem to be (Refer to the gazelle thread for more info). Then again they are probably getting a spike in trades now :lol:[/QUOTE]

Based on the one confirmed trade in this thread, it might be the other way around. Gazelle's outsourced center could be the inspection company for Dealtree now. We don't know who the inspection center is managed by, but I get the feeling it's a third party that handles trade ins for both companies.

so... im committed to this now. I sent in 10 lbp's, 10 bl's, and a box full of used games I rebought back cheaper NEW versions with the 40% off gs.com deal(ac2, disgaea3, sacred2,some sabotuers, etc. The only game I didn't buy back that I traded in was Darksiders but thq should drop that to $20 new soon enough and I already platted it. I got lbp goty also, so not bad there. All of the bl's were perfectly sealed new but I took the seals off, and the LBP's were all pristine condition, most still had plastic seal still on the case as if they just ripped it off and put a used sticker on it. i guess i got lucky. let's hope my luck continues and they don't bs me over my trade-ins. i even replaced one case with one of my (EA) replacement ps3 cases, cuz it had a lil sticker residue from me not taking the used sticker off enough. crosses fingers. I will post a pic of me holding lbp's later, lol. oh n the usps lady gave me heat over wanting a delivery confirmation receipt cuz she said I printed these online and that i was cutting them out of the deal by not purchasing delivery confirmation through them, i was like, ok... i can just copy the number but she went ahead and gave me receipt. uppity usps people. lol

[quote name='Velo214']so... im committed to this now. I sent in 10 lbp's, 10 bl's, and a box full of used games I rebought back cheaper NEW versions with the 40% off gs.com deal(ac2, disgaea3, sacred2,some sabotuers, etc. The only game I didn't buy back that I traded in was Darksiders but thq should drop that to $20 new soon enough and I already platted it. I got lbp goty also, so not bad there. All of the bl's were perfectly sealed new but I took the seals off, and the LBP's were all pristine condition, most still had plastic seal still on the case as if they just ripped it off and put a used sticker on it. i guess i got lucky. let's hope my luck continues and they don't bs me over my trade-ins. i even replaced one case with one of my (EA) replacement ps3 cases, cuz it had a lil sticker residue from me not taking the used sticker off enough. crosses fingers. I will post a pic of me holding lbp's later, lol. oh n the usps lady gave me heat over wanting a delivery confirmation receipt cuz she said I printed these online and that i was cutting them out of the deal by not purchasing delivery confirmation through them, i was like, ok... i can just copy the number but she went ahead and gave me receipt. uppity usps people. lol[/QUOTE]

My USPS was like F you no DC receipt for you, next time put our postage zip code if you want us to ship it.

Still 'waiting to receive', even though the package was marked delivered the other day on the USPS site.

Hopefully its just due to the flood of LBP and other games people sent en masse that is holding up my measly FOUR game trade package from being processed.

I've gotten quotes for a bunch of games but I'm only going to send in LBP:GOTY since it should get the 30 I was told. I bought 3 LFD2 from gamefly which hopefully are in good condition.

code already given. peace. also where are you goes finding your order info? thru usps tracking?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Still 'waiting to receive', even though the package was marked delivered the other day on the USPS site.

Hopefully its just due to the flood of LBP and other games people sent en masse that is holding up my measly FOUR game trade package from being processed.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Sent on 13th and received on 17th. Expecting my status to change tomarrow...hopefully.

[quote name='Velo214']code already given. peace. also where are you goes finding your order info? thru usps tracking?[/QUOTE]

You have to go to the Best Buy site, into the game trade page and sign in using the e-mail and password you set up when setting up the account.

Then click on 'account' to see status of your items.

[quote name='muelly']how did you guys box your items up?[/QUOTE]

I used newspaper to pad my games in the box so they didn't shift around in transit and just mummified the box with packing tape to make sure it didn't come open.

Then again, I always go overboard with the packing tape when I ship stuff out, as anyone who has received a package from me can attest to.:lol:

this place looks a bit shady-i really want to trust it but i dont know-

what happens if they screw us over

it says in their rules that the quote and the money they will actually give us can vary substantially-

they can reduce the items that they can/will accept-

that we are responsible for paying for returns-

rule 4. You are responsible to pay for the cost of shipping the Item to Dealtree's facilities

is money deducted from our trade in to pay for the shipping label??

anywAY HERE ARE THERE TRADE IN CONDITIONS

http://ebay.eztradein.com/TradeIn/Clients/ebay/tandcs.htm

All I can tell you so far is that what I marked my games as before submission and what was verified as the value matched up perfectly - when my gift card shows up with the full amount, I'll let you know.

bread's done
Back