Bestbuy.com / Dealtree EZtrade-in programs (trade games for BB gift cards or PayPal)

nakanenui

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
So I happened to find a list of their games that they are giving some good money on, I guess to compete with Gamestop. Here is a copy of the list. I dont know if you have to trade in more than 1 game to get the deal, but thought others would be able to chime in with their experience. Of note is the hot shots golf trade in for PS3 (if you were able to get it from the sears clearance).

link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-Games-Gadgets/null/pcmcat203500050000.c?id=pcmcat203500050000

Added by Io: Note that you can also trade games in using this site:
http://ebay.eztradein.com/ebay/
which is handled by the same processor (Dealtree) used for the Best Buy program. In this case, though, you can get PayPal payments instead of Best Buy gift cards. The trade-in values and processing methods seem to be exactly the same.

-----
I tried looking for the $20 and $30 trade in value games but came up empty, if you want to provide the link so I can add it here, let me know via PM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED: since it keeps getting asked

1. Can I take them to a physical store?
Games need to be mailed in. If you try to do an instore trade from the website it will redirect you to mailing it in.

2. How many days do I have to mail it in?
30 days from initiating the trade. Mail it in ASAP as the processing time until you get your money differs and could be a wait.

3. Are trade in quotes locked in or do they get valued at time of processing?
Get your games in fast enough and you will not have to worry about this. But the majority believe that you are locked in as long as it gets there before the 30 days are up.

4. Do games have to be complete?
Case, Manual, and working game are your only options. So yes, full credit if you have everything. But we are not too sure on how they determine scratches affecting playability (if they physically test the game during processing). Just clean all smudges and fingerprints prior to mailing, and if you have deep scratches it is up to you to chance them saying the game does not work.

5. What happens if they say the game is worth less than trade in quote?
You can either accept their valuation or PAY to have your game shipped back to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='the_punisher']Just as a heads up, not trying to insult you- 99% odds you're not getting anything out of this

Anyway, how long does it take for gift cards to usually arrive?[/QUOTE]
Actually, what I'm looking for isn't really the value of the gift card anymore. My only purpose is to show a company that their policies suck (although a company may no longer bear the risk of loss after mailing an item most do insure and most do provide tracking for the sake of and protection of the customer - its just about good policy). To have a policy like they currently have is, in my mind, pretty anti-consumer and it screws people like me (seriously sending out gift cards worth hundreds of dollars with no protection whatsoever? I at least got tracking information on the games I sent them). So what am I getting out of this? I get my voice heard on CAG, reseller ratings, and the BBB. Its going to cost them more than the value of the gift card to deal with me - and for some reason I get some satisfaction from that because I'm out 7 video games that I should have just gave to Gamestop. Best case scenario they man up and do what's right for the customer - worst case, I get my voice heard.

I did get a bit defensive earlier but that's because some guy called me an idiot for voicing a legitimate concern I have with their practices and calling my methods illogical and unreasonable when doing nothing is simply not an option in my mind. I can fight back - I may not get my gift card but I can still do something.

I was told the gift cards arrive in 1-2 weeks. Someone else posted asking if they could track purchases. I did ask Dealtree about this and all they said was the gift card was redeemed in my home town.

Can anyone comment on the type of packaging the gift card comes in? Is it a plain envelope or have any indication of its contents on the outside?

Im not sure if this has been commented on but has anyone received payment without it updating on the site? I tried looking through the thread but haven't found anyone with this "problem". My paypal shows the money deposited but the eztradein site says its still pending payment. Weird.......... I kinda wish that I had gotten an email to my email I use for my eztradein account (different from my paypal email) because than I would have been able to spend this money 4 days ago XD.

Im not sure if this has been commented on but has anyone received payment without it updating on the site?
yes.

Can anyone comment on the type of packaging the gift card comes in? Is it a plain envelope or have any indication of its contents on the outside?
just a regular envelope but you can feel the card inside just like when you get a new credit card. i dont remember what the envelope said but i didnt even know it was
the best buy gift card when opening it up.

Anyway, how long does it take for gift cards to usually arrive?

once they're sent it only took 2 days to get to me. its just getting them to send the damn thing that takes forever.

Interesting, just got an email asking why I haven't shipped my game yet and I noticed they lowered the tiv on the site. Wonder if they are doing this why or what.

[quote name='Velo214']Interesting, just got an email asking why I haven't shipped my game yet and I noticed they lowered the tiv on the site. Wonder if they are doing this why or what.[/QUOTE]

It's automatic, Gazelle does the same. I get them even though I shipped stuff, because it parcel post is like making my mail carrier walk to MD.

[quote name='rohitman']Yes, they are trying to prevent fraud but aren't there better ways to do that then blame the customer? For example: tracking numbers or simply insuring the packages. I feel like my gift card was small but imagine expecting a $500 gift card with zero assurances it will be delivered. I do not know of any other company that doesn't provide some sort of assurances. In fact, we had a package stolen outside our door and the company (Bed Bath and Beyond) immediately mailed a second package no questions asked.[/QUOTE]
So you had a package stolen prior from your doorstep and yet weren't vigilant enough to keep a look out for a $100+ gift card being sent the same way? Whenever I know I'm expecting a package or payment for a deal or anything other than the usual junk mail I make sure I'm going to be home or have someone home to keep checking for the item(s) I'm waiting for.

Any TIV promo's?
Is there a link to there advertised promo's, I swear they hide shyte like buried treasure. I would not know they had any promo had not for CAG.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So you had a package stolen prior from your doorstep and yet weren't vigilant enough to keep a look out for a $100+ gift card being sent the same way? Whenever I know I'm expecting a package or payment for a deal or anything other than the usual junk mail I make sure I'm going to be home or have someone home to keep checking for the item(s) I'm waiting for.[/QUOTE]
Its sent in the mail with the regular mail and does not get sent to you doorstep. Had that been the case I may have gotten it - especially if it required a signature which is an option USPS gives but Dealtree doesn't do this. My point is that they sent 100+ gift card via crapmail that is often mixed up and I had no way of tracking or making sure I get it (like having it delivered to my door). Anyway, I got an email yesterday saying they re-issued the card. They said they would investigate further and perhaps were able to confirm I was telling the truth.

[quote name='rohitman']Its sent in the mail with the regular mail and does not get sent to you doorstep. Had that been the case I may have gotten it - especially if it required a signature which is an option USPS gives but Dealtree doesn't do this. My point is that they sent 100+ gift card via crapmail that is often mixed up and I had no way of tracking or making sure I get it (like having it delivered to my door). Anyway, I got an email yesterday saying they re-issued the card. They said they would investigate further and perhaps were able to confirm I was telling the truth.[/QUOTE]

No way of having it delivered to your door? You don't have a mailbox right next to your door? That's not close enough for you?

As far as tracking goes, I received my piddily $79 card I got from my next to last batch of trade-ins just fine, but that's cuz I was vigilant and kept an eye on my mail to make sure that I received it.

But as to them requiring signatures or even putting delivery confirmation on the envelope, they probably figured that most folks would have no issues with getting the cards so why do that for the small amount of people who would have the issues?

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']On-topic:

Has anyone found any good flips as of late?[/QUOTE]
Madden. Every year, regardless of platform. Go to Gamestop and buy up every Madden you can find.

They're worth alot....seriously.

What? You don't believe me?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Madden. Every year, regardless of platform. Go to Gamestop and buy up every Madden you can find.

They're worth alot....seriously.

What? You don't believe me?[/QUOTE]

Awwww, come on man. You're creating flip competition for me. I already locked in 50 copies of Madden 10 and have to find them all now.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']No way of having it delivered to your door? You don't have a mailbox right next to your door? That's not close enough for you?

As far as tracking goes, I received my piddily $79 card I got from my next to last batch of trade-ins just fine, but that's cuz I was vigilant and kept an eye on my mail to make sure that I received it.

But as to them requiring signatures or even putting delivery confirmation on the envelope, they probably figured that most folks would have no issues with getting the cards so why do that for the small amount of people who would have the issues?[/QUOTE]
Correct they probably thought it wouldn't be an issue so didn't want to deal with the expense. But when you don't insure and don't provide confirmation that doesn't change the fact that the packages become more susceptible to theft, which can lead to angry customers, a poorer reputation, etc - that's why companies will insure and track on their own and avoid these circumstances.

I don't understand why you keep trying to nail me on not watching my mail. I live in an apartment complex where, like most apartment complexes, have a group of mailboxes with keys that are given to the tenants. I don't know how it was stolen prior to getting in my mailbox where it would have been secure - either it was stolen in the hands of USPS or simply put in the wrong box and I'm not sure if the other tenants here would return a missent envelope (although I have gone to other apartments redelivering mail on a couple of occasions).

As for the person saying requiring them to get a signature or delivery confirmation is unreasonable. Electronic delivery confirmation through USPS is only 19 cents and return receipt is $1.10 (source: http://www.usps.com/prices/extra-services-prices.htm). Yes, this can add up to quite a bit and it may not be worth it to Dealtree - nevertheless, there are consequences to not using these additional services.

Again though, you had a stolen package once before, so why not keep a closer eye on the mail?

But misdirected and misdelivered mail happens. We've received mail from the same address but one street up or down from ours, as well as mail from our old neighborhood(10 blocks or so away).

When we first moved here someone even cashed a check that was misdelivered to them. Apparently they were waiting for a support check from an ex as well and the people at the bank who cashed it must've been totally fuckin' oblivious as to not notice the name difference.:roll:

I have to say that I'm really pretty happy with Dealtree's service. I know that it took a few weeks to get some things paid out but I noticed they were missing a game I had submitted and included with a different package. I contacted customer service expecting there to be a problem and it was verified within the hour. I suspect they too my word that it was included (which it had been) but it's nice to see such responsive customer service. I'll miss this service since I don't really want BB gift cards (I prefer paypal)

yeah, i have been very happy with deal tree. i only sent in one order over 3, and that deal sux, but really 3 per system still means you could have potentially sent in 6 blurs or 6 monkey balls or whatnots. and that is per address/account, i mean, there are easy ways around that but i barely send any more than 6 other than that lbp lot i did when it first started and that was nothing compared to what some did. but whatev. it takes upwards of a month but you really can't beat free money. i just got $112 giftcard in the mail today and it cost me $25 total of another bestbuy gift card to buy it(2 blurs+$25downcash =64cred +2 25cred free monkey balls.) You can't beat the bestbuy->bestbuy flips that really picked up this year. it sucks i havnt got any penny guides, and sears clearance is drying up and bbv isnt having their b1g1f and they might be gone soon, but this is a great site to work with. I dont have any packages in process now but hoping some deals pop up as they always do. sorry for the wall of text. ;) peace cags!

So all my efforts to get Dealtree to man up actually worked after over a month of being blown off (and discouragement from this forum). UPS just came by with a package sent by next-day air with adult signature required. Wow. I figured they'd send it the same way and I'd have to wait forever and perhaps go through the whole ordeal again. Next time I deal with Dealtree I'll make sure to use Paypal.

What's the deal with the new shipping labels? They don't even fit the whole address on the shipping label. also the emails keep telling me to send games to ohio, but then the prepaid slip says hunt valley, md...strange... has it always been 2 different addresses? i always just print up the prepaid slip, but strange that they have two different addresses to ship your stuff to...

edit- just read io's post 2085, interesting how they changed it. they also changed the design of the new shipping labels. seems alot more crowded.

Yeah, this is still ridiculously slow ... I think it took 11 days from reception to be verified ... and now I'm sitting here waiting for them to be shipped .. that's been 3 days so far ... I'm guessing it will take about a month to receive the gift cards ... by that time, what I wanted I'll get from amazon and I'll just sell these stupid things, probably on here.

There's another thread somewhere .... it was started when best buy gave the impression you would get a $25 gift card bonus on top of their tiv when they were launching instore trade-ins.

[quote name='Velo214']bestbuy and gazelle both suck for tivs lately[/QUOTE]

Gazelle doesn't even exist anymore, as far as tradein's go. The values are ridiculous ... most games are $9 or $12 .... new release, if they exist, are all $20-$25. Why bother when amazon gives $39.

it was cool --free money for flips

it was sort like a money tree but some people werent happy with just plucking some leaves they had to go n rip out the fucking roots-

abuse of the system lead to the death of great flips on these sites.

R.I.P it was good while it lasted

I did a trade with Dealtree (via PayPal) for Mario & Sonic At The Olympics fairly recently (in Sept, got paid Oct 4th). That was one of the titles on Best Buy's store trade-in promo list and Dealtree also offered $20 for it which beat anyone else at the time. It was fairly slow, as usual, but worked. They may still have their use in the future ;).

What sucks about it, though, is I'd just go with Amazon but NorAm has their ridiculous rejection paradigm. For example, I'd love to send in the copy of Enslaved that I just beat, but it is the "special" version with the Comic Book included. Even though this ought to be worth more (or at least not worth any less) than the regular version, I know they will reject it because the UPC isn't the same as the regular version. So I can't get that $39 at Amazon. When Gazelle matched Amazon I could send it there. So now I'm trying to sell it myself but I doubt I'll get $39 after eBay fees and I have to deal with the hassle of eBay/PayPal/shipping/etc...

that's what you get for buying it at kmart and stacking coupons! :p

But kidding aside, it's a huge pain in the ass. And while can't decide if it's kmart or amazon's fault, it makes me wary about these items. I bought Kane and Lynch 2 and it has some stupid BB crap in it. I'm hoping it doesn't get rejected because it's a different UPC. (havent checked to see if it is.)

Who the hell is actually still shipping in their games to DealTree/BestBuy when it seems like there's a good portion of Best Buy stores taking the trades in at store level. There's no waiting for them to receive them and decide if they wanna accept or reject them and you're paid(in credit) on the spot. Now if you want cash/Paypal you may have to still do the mail-in route.

If Kmart ever gets their act together and gets their trade program going as well and it's on par with everyone else's(TRU/Amazon/GS/BB/Gazelle/FYE/etc), then I'll have yet another place to dump shit on to get credit for stuff I might actually want.

But for those saying there's no exploitable values still, here's a hint, there are some minor ones if you look close enough.;)

^^^ You answered it in your first paragraph (PayPal vs useless Best Buy gift cards). Plus, it is way easier for me to drop stuff off at the UPS store than drive 30 miles round trip to Best Buy. Granted, I had probably gone by there several times in the time it took to get my game shipped to and processed by Dealtree but, unlike with Amazon, you don't really have to worry about rejection with Dealtree. They've accepted everything I've sent so far.

I only went with Best Buy's in-store program for converting some GS credit and making $10 per game over what I paid at GS to boot. I couldn't say no to a $10 profit per game after buying them with credit that probably cost me pennies on the dollar in the first place.

I'll surely find something to buy that I can use at BB with the credit.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I only went with Best Buy's in-store program for converting some GS credit and making $10 per game over what I paid at GS to boot. I couldn't say no to a $10 profit per game after buying them with credit that probably cost me pennies on the dollar in the first place.

I'll surely find something to buy that I can use at BB with the credit.[/QUOTE]

That's fine - but the point is that cash in the same amount is better, and that's why some of us use Dealtree despite the non-instant gratification ;).

I remember when I did cash trades to DealTree a while ago(just after the limit of 3 per title was instituted:bomb:). It took forever and since I didn't feel like giving them my newly opened Paypal account information to send the payment electronically they sent me SEVEN fucking checks for $20 each for each of the games I traded in.:roll:

The checks were drawn on Bank Of America, which wanted to charge a $4-5 fee PER CHECK since I didn't have an account with them just to cash them.:roll::bomb:

So I opened a free business account with them, deposited the checks and then I waited till the next Monday and took out all but $5-6 from the account via an ATM withdrawl, which I used at a HWV closing sale right to the last cent.;):razz: fuck BOA.

f_stacksofgamesgiftcard3_100926.jpg

best buy just updated with all thier 30 dollar games theres some good ones

BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2 ULTIMATE EDITION
$30.00
BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY 2 ULTIMATE EDITION
$30.00
FIFA 11
$30.00

BORDERLANDS GOTY
$30.00
BORDERLANDS GOTY
$30.00
KIRBY'S EPIC YARN
$30.00

CASTLEVANIA LORDS OF SHADOW
$30.00
CASTLEVANIA LORDS OF SHADOW
$30.00
LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS
$30.00

CASTLEVANIA LORDS OF SHADOW LE
$30.00
CASTLEVANIA LORDS OF SHADOW LE
$30.00
MARIO KART
$30.00

COD: MODERN WARFARE 2
$30.00
COD: MODERN WARFARE 2
$30.00
MARIO PARTY 8
$30.00

COD: MODERN WARFARE 2 HARDENED EDITION
$30.00
COD: MODERN WARFARE 2 PRESTIGE EDITION
$30.00
METROID: OTHER M
$30.00

COD: MODERN WARFARE 2 PRESTIGE EDITION
$30.00
COD: MODERN WARRFARE 2 HARDENED EDITION
$30.00
NBA JAM
$30.00

DEAD RISING 2 CE
$30.00
DEAD RISING 2 CE
$30.00
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII
$30.00

DEAD RISING 2 W/CODE
$30.00
DEAD RISING 2 W/CODE
$30.00
SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2
$30.00

EA SPORTS MMA
$30.00
EA SPORTS MMA
$30.00
SUPER SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL
$30.00

ENSLAVED: ODYSSEY TO THE WEST
$30.00
ENSLAVED: ODYSSEY TO THE WEST
$30.00
WII PARTY
$30.00

F1 - 2010
$30.00
F1 - 2010
$30.00

FABLE 3
$30.00
FALLOUT NEW VEGAS
$30.00

FABLE 3 LE
$30.00
FALLOUT NEW VEGAS CE
$30.00

FALLOUT NEW VEGAS
$30.00
FIFA 11
$30.00

FALLOUT NEW VEGAS CE
$30.00
LORD OF THE RINGS: ARAGORN'S QUEST
$30.00

FIFA 11
$30.00
MADDEN NFL 11
$30.00

HALO REACH
$30.00
MADDEN NFL 11
$30.00

HALO REACH LEGENDARY EDITION
$30.00
MAFIA II
$30.00

HALO REACH LIMITED EDITION
$30.00
MAFIA II CE
$30.00

MADDEN NFL 11
$30.00
MEDAL OF HONOR
$30.00

MADDEN NFL 11
$30.00
MEDAL OF HONOR LE
$30.00

MAFIA II
$30.00
NBA 2K11
$30.00

MAFIA II CE
$30.00
NHL 11
$30.00

MEDAL OF HONOR
$30.00
R.U.S.E.
$30.00

MEDAL OF HONOR LE
$30.00
RED DEAD REDEMPTION
$30.00

NBA 2K11
$30.00
SHAUN WHITE SKATEBOARDING
$30.00

NHL 11
$30.00
SPIDER-MAN SHATTERED DIMENSIONS
$30.00

R.U.S.E.
$30.00
STAR WARS THE FORCE UNLEASHED II CE
$30.00

RED DEAD REDEMPTION
$30.00
STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED II
$30.00

SHAUN WHITE SKATEBOARDING
$30.00
THE SIMS 3
$30.00

SPIDER-MAN SHATTERED DIMENSIONS
$30.00
VANQUISH
$30.00

STAR WARS THE FORCE UNLEASHED II CE
$30.00
WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2011
$30.00

STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED II
$30.00

THE SIMS 3
$30.00

VANQUISH
$30.00

WWE SMACKDOWN VS RAW 2011
$30.00

[quote name='ploppsdman']30 for modern warefare 2? Lock that in now.[/QUOTE]

Hmm I brought codmw2 for 59.99 but got a 20.00 dollar walmart gc last year. Now i have black ops pre-ordered for 39.99 with another 20.00 gc so this might be a really smart move being as since i got mw2 i never played cod4 again.

I did it now i just have to print my label and ship my game

So can you still trade games in and get PayPal payments? Obviously the link in the OP doesn't get me there, but I seem to recall some other link floating around... thanks.

[quote name='bredbu']
RED DEAD REDEMPTION
$30.00[/QUOTE]
Damn you Best Buy for tempting me to get rid of my copy of Red Dead Redemption.:bomb:

Since Gamestop is only giving $16 for it already and I'm sure that number is only going to go DOWN, this is the best amount anyone is offering right now.

EDIT: Yep. I was right. TRU is offering $16-17 for it and Amazon is offering $20-ish.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']So can you still trade games in and get PayPal payments? Obviously the link in the OP doesn't get me there, but I seem to recall some other link floating around... thanks.[/QUOTE]

If i remember correctly, the one link in the OP worked for paypal but they removed the Video Games section of their tradeins.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I remember when I did cash trades to DealTree a while ago(just after the limit of 3 per title was instituted:bomb:). It took forever and since I didn't feel like giving them my newly opened Paypal account information to send the payment electronically they sent me SEVEN fucking checks for $20 each for each of the games I traded in.:roll:

The checks were drawn on Bank Of America, which wanted to charge a $4-5 fee PER CHECK since I didn't have an account with them just to cash them.:roll::bomb:

So I opened a free business account with them, deposited the checks and then I waited till the next Monday and took out all but $5-6 from the account via an ATM withdrawl, which I used at a HWV closing sale right to the last cent.;):razz: fuck BOA.[/QUOTE]

Seems like just typing in your paypal account email would have been a little easier, eh? :lol:
And i'm pretty sure check cashing anywhere you don't have an account is going to cost you money. If you had a bank account anywhere else, you could have just brought them there.

[quote name='Pookymeister']
Seems like just typing in your paypal account email would have been a little easier, eh? :lol:
And i'm pretty sure check cashing anywhere you don't have an account is going to cost you money. If you had a bank account anywhere else, you could have just brought them there.[/QUOTE]
It would've been, but I got the money out and BOA didn't get a red cent from me.:razz:

I've always been able to cash checks drawn on other banks without having to have an account there. It was just a nice little thing most banks did, but I guess BOA are following the nickel and diming trend we're starting to see at a lot of places nowadays.

As for taking them to my bank where I have my primary account, I'd rather not deposit payments I don't trust and risk them come bouncing back. I learned my lesson with what turned out to be bad checks that a company I worked for paid me with. I ended up out all of that money plus a $20 fee PER check.

[quote name='Pookymeister']If i remember correctly, the one link in the OP worked for paypal but they removed the Video Games section of their tradeins.
[/QUOTE]

Right, except that I remember there was a specific link you could use even after that change that allowed you to trade in games for Paypal funds... maybe I'm just crazy :)

bread's done
Back