BestBuy.com, thanks for reminding me why you'll never be like Amazon

blindinglights

CAGiversary!
I ordered a game during the sales around Christmas time, which they eventually cancelled and sent me a coupon for $12 off. Since it was about to expire, I used it last week to order Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition.

My package arrived yesterday with my name and address on the shipping label and I open it up to find UFC Undisputed 3 and a packing slip for a guy in Indiana (I live in Virginia). I called 1-888-BESTBUY and got the operator who transferred me to the internet orders department and as soon as I was put on hold, an automated voice said "we're experiencing high call volume, we can't connect you, sorry." and hangs up. Same thing happens for 4 more times over the next two hours.

Finally I get through to someone. I explain what happened and she goes on take about 15 minutes mumbling, to the point it was difficult to understand her, about the process on how I can return the game that they accidentally sent me. Then she asks me if she can help with anything else or is that it? So I told her "Well, since getting the actual item I ordered was the reason I called, how about that?"

She tells me to wait while she puts the replacement order into the computer. Again, she continues to mumble and talk to herself during this process which made it hard to tell if she was trying to say something to me or not. Finally she tells me that she put the order in and it should arrive sometime in the middle of next week. I immediately stop her and say, "Wait a minute, let me get this straight. Best Buy screws up and order and sends me gift card to apologize during Christmas. I make another order with that gift card, which is also screwed up. I call in and customer service spends the entire time telling me how I can return the item that Best Buy incorrectly sent to me. Then my replacement order is finally made and I get to wait another 5+ days to receive my item? Is expedited shipping too much to ask for?"

She asks if I want to pick it up at a store. I tell her I live an hour away from the closest Best Buy. Then she finally says that she will "make a notation on the order to let them know that I want it faster". That sounds suspect to me, so I said "I'm not interested in notations, I just want to know if the shipping is going to be upgraded." She claims that she upgraded the shipping and it would go out soon, so I get off the phone.

I check my order status this morning and it says "1 item(s) shipped via STANDARD on 02/22/12".

Awesome.

I didn't really care for the article because he basically says that Best Buy is going downhill because he didn't get exactly what he wanted.

Retailers are going downhill because Amazon and Wal-Mart will let you get away with murder. Almost out of vindictiveness, other retailers would rather you not come into the store than have to process a return or ask someone for detailed help.

[quote name='davo1224']I didn't really care for the article because he basically says that Best Buy is going downhill because he didn't get exactly what he wanted.

Retailers are going downhill because Amazon and Wal-Mart will let you get away with murder. Almost out of vindictiveness, other retailers would rather you not come into the store than have to process a return or ask someone for detailed help.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. It's like all of the whiney assholes on the Consumerist site who complain about not being helped a half nanosecond after getting into the store. Even better are the ones who expect the employees to lead them by the hand to EVERY damn item they want and practically bow and curtsey because to those people they consider themselves kings/queens and the lowly retail employees should show the proper respect to them.:roll:

As for Best Buy, I've had a lot of good interactions with the employees in recent months. But that's because I already know what I want before I go into the store or search their website and I treat the employees like human beings.

The OP talks about how the CSR was 'mumbling' quite a bit while trying to work out a solution for them, yet I'm sure it probably was because the OP was distracted and trying to do 2-3 things at once and not really paying attention to the rep. I've done it before myself, where I had to ask a CSR to repeat themselves.

Either way, if the rep didn't give the OP all of the information to make a return of the UFC game AND they did indeed process the shipment of a copy of the game they DID order, then so long as they don't see a charge for the UFC game on their cc statement I'd consider that shit a bonus and just keep the damn game.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The OP talks about how the CSR was 'mumbling' quite a bit while trying to work out a solution for them, yet I'm sure it probably was because the OP was distracted and trying to do 2-3 things at once and not really paying attention to the rep. I've done it before myself, where I had to ask a CSR to repeat themselves.[/QUOTE]

You couldn't be more wrong. I was sitting at my kitchen table with the phone, the UFC game, the incorrect packing slip, and my printed receipt in front of me. I was hardly distracted.

When I say she was mumbling, it's not because I'm an irritated customer, it's because she was. She spoke under her breath the entire time, saying things like "I click this menu, then go here, then do that" and when she would actually try to say something that I was supposed to hear, she would barely speak up to the point it was difficult to hear her.

You would think that someone who is supposed to communicate on the phone all day would have the ability to speak clearly.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Either way, if the rep didn't give the OP all of the information to make a return of the UFC game AND they did indeed process the shipment of a copy of the game they DID order, then so long as they don't see a charge for the UFC game on their cc statement I'd consider that shit a bonus and just keep the damn game.[/QUOTE]

The representative was only concerned about getting me to return the UFC game. If I had not spoke up, she would have got off the phone after sending me a return label for the wrong game but before setting up a new shipment of the item I did order.

Amazon goes above and beyond, I don't expect that from Best Buy. However, Amazon also does the basics of customer service correctly and Best Buy can't seem to even get that straight

I don't think it's too much to ask to get the item I ordered and for them not to use the slowest possible method in correcting their screw up.

this seems to be quite a strange case, I really have never had any kind of bad experience with Bestbuy nor have i read a story quite like this at all, it appears you got the wrong game, on top of having to return it and now waiting another 5 days for the correct game; idk it seems like you just have crappy luck

Something similar happened with amazon to me. I forgot what I ordered, but I received some kids books and a packing slip for the books (outside was the correct info). I called amazon, and since the order wasn't mine they had no way for me to actually return the order to them they just told me to either throw the books away or just keep them. Then they 1 day shipped what I actually was supposed to get.

Why couldn't I have accidentally got something I'd actually want? :lol:

[quote name='blindinglights']You couldn't be more wrong. I was sitting at my kitchen table with the phone, the UFC game, the incorrect packing slip, and my printed receipt in front of me. I was hardly distracted.

When I say she was mumbling, it's not because I'm an irritated customer, it's because she was. She spoke under her breath the entire time, saying things like "I click this menu, then go here, then do that" and when she would actually try to say something that I was supposed to hear, she would barely speak up to the point it was difficult to hear her.

You would think that someone who is supposed to communicate on the phone all day would have the ability to speak clearly.[/quote]
Just going by the things you heard her saying I imagine either she was being trained or trying to train or help someone else on another computer next to hers. It happens. Companies tend to want to get their new employees actually working for their paychecks as quickly as possible, so it could be that she was really new and asking for help from someone else on where to go in the system to find the appropriate information to give you.

As for not being able to hear her, I too am very softspoken and have been told to speak up because the customers couldn't hear me on the phone.
The representative was only concerned about getting me to return the UFC game. If I had not spoke up, she would have got off the phone after sending me a return label for the wrong game but before setting up a new shipment of the item I did order.

Amazon goes above and beyond, I don't expect that from Best Buy. However, Amazon also does the basics of customer service correctly and Best Buy can't seem to even get that straight

I don't think it's too much to ask to get the item I ordered and for them not to use the slowest possible method in correcting their screw up.
Amazon also bans you if you do too many returns or ask for too many adjustments for damaged or SNAD items. As for their slow shipping speed, I wouldn't worry about it myself since I still have a 4-5 game backlog, so I'm in no hurry to get another game.

Although I do agree that they should have at least offered to send it priority. But they didn't. Not much you really can do except call back and ask for a gc for the inconvenience.

bread's done
Back