BestBuy Enforcing Removal of GCU If You Go Past 3 Game Limit

Sure are a lot of pharmacists here.

At best I’d say there’s one pharmacists assistant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here comes Uncle Anwar out of the crowd! He’s hits a “pharmacist”with the Bullshit Cutter’! And again on the “attorney’”!! There goes the “therapist”!!! He’s cleaning house!!

Well I'm glad Best Buy banned all those people....maybe now they would understand the meaning of "Terms and Conditions"

Because no them it's the reason why we can't have nice things.

Funny, I'm a professional (not in any field related to Best Buy lol) but even though I make good money in my field I still look for deals and post on boards like these because it's one of my hobbies. Not everyone here is a teenager or locked in someone's basement. Lol...

I asked a my local best but what’s going on. The manager did a hush hush gesture with his finger over his lips and winked at me eluding to a nefarious secret. Circa GameStop employee all over again

It's been a 3-game limit since the beginning.  Buying more than that per account is asking for trouble.  Probably why they cancelled this shit in the first place.

Nothing to see here.  Follow the rules and you'll be ok.  Bestbuy has been amazing with their game sales.  I am sad to see the program go but it obviously didn't make sense in a business standpoint.  They still offer the 10$ rewards which is a nice bonus for day one purchases.  Plus their credit card offers 5% back in rewards as well.  Lucky for me I will have this attached to my account for another 21 months.

Looks like they're going after repeat offenders. I'd like to hear from someone who can explain why buying 4 or more copies of a game multiple times a year is normal.

Best Buy should have enforced this earlier by not applying GCU discounts after the first 3 copies and limiting accounts to 1 per household. For the cheap price of the subscription I'm not even sure why the limit wasn't 1 per SKU.
Bingo. Once a customer hits the 3 cap, they are no longer able to get discounts on that sku. THAT is what they should have done as far as the limit goes. They ALSO should have have kept the $120 for two years membership fee like they did in the beginning. Even at the $120 price point, it was worth it. fuck all knows why they dropped it to a measly $30 for TWO YEARS. I didn't complain because hell, I bought 4 years at that time. But it made no financial sense from a business standpoint.

Still, Best Buy is going too far, like gamestop too far at this point
I hope this move is wroth it for them, because they are alienating more than people who abused the system at this point

I was always on the fence about them, and the GCU really made me give them more business than i wanted to give them, but after seeing this, (mind you i still have GCU and I’m in good standing) i still would rather shop at target or whatever

I dont see the point, they are nitpicking with a monopoly and they already won...they are being gamestop petty , and i think they deserve whatever business they lose resultantnly, greedy

I honestly feel bad for those who didn’t abuse the system too much and got this crazy auditing, losing warranties and what not , thats ridiculous

Bingo. Once a customer hits the 3 cap, they are no longer able to get discounts on that sku. THAT is what they should have done as far as the limit goes. They ALSO should have have kept the $120 for two years membership fee like they did in the beginning. Even at the $120 price point, it was worth it. fuck all knows why they dropped it to a measly $30 for TWO YEARS. I didn't complain because hell, I bought 4 years at that time. But it made no financial sense from a business standpoint.
I agree that they should have had something in place to enforce the limits. Not necessarily because I feel like they've done something wrong, more that if they're losing that much money, banning someone after a year of abusing the system seems like too little, too late and sending an email and basically inviting those people to rejoin and abuse the system for another year just seems stupid.

Bunch of dumb shits.

You knowingly broke their ToS. You got what you deserved.
I believe the ToS is you have only discount for 3 copies, not you can only buy 3 copies since there is no limit on your bestbuy account. GCU is just an add-on to a regular account, not a special account.

What they should have done is for 4th copies or more, they system uses the regular price.

I have never tried that so I don't know. If their system can't do that, they should fire their programmers and hire some more competent.

Do they expect people to create another regular account just for 4th or more copies?

I do believe sometimes people will lose tracking of that when there are multiple sales over months and buying the same games for kids and friends.

Even at the $120 price point, it was worth it. fuck all knows why they dropped it to a measly $30 for TWO YEARS. I didn't complain because hell, I bought 4 years at that time. But it made no financial sense from a business standpoint.
If it was at $120, I'm certain I wouldn't have joined it as I don't buy new released games, my buying price is about $20. So, at $30, they have my business.

The profit margin of video games is very high (or how Sony and EA can offer their employee for $10 a game), but it diminishes fast. So, it's hard to know capturing only hardcore gamers or more average gamers make more business sense.

Even Amazon has changed the purchase limit for free shipping a few times. Too high they lose sales, too low fewer people join Prime.

If it was at $120, I'm certain I wouldn't have joined it as I don't buy new released games, my buying price is about $20. So, at $30, they have my business.

The profit margin of video games is very high (or how Sony and EA can offer their employee for $10 a game), but it diminishes fast. So, it's hard to know capturing only hardcore gamers or more average gamers make more business sense.

Even Amazon has changed the purchase limit for free shipping a few times. Too high they lose sales, too low fewer people join Prime.
I wouldn't call the margin for retailers "high" at all - EA and Sony can offer extremely low prices to employees because they cut out a lot of the cost that retailers absorb (for titles they publish themselves). The actual margin on a $60 game is generally between 20 and 25% (Basically 12 to 15 dollars). So with GCU Best Buy was essentially giving up the profits on each game sold in an attempt to get people browsing and buying more to make up the difference.

I believe the ToS is you have only discount for 3 copies, not you can only buy 3 copies since there is no limit on your bestbuy account. GCU is just an add-on to a regular account, not a special account.

What they should have done is for 4th copies or more, they system uses the regular price.

I have never tried that so I don't know. If their system can't do that, they should fire their programmers and hire some more competent.

Do they expect people to create another regular account just for 4th or more copies?

I do believe sometimes people will lose tracking of that when there are multiple sales over months and buying the same games for kids and friends.
It's much easier to just have a system scrub for the fourth purchase and terminate the membership after the fact. That can be easily applied to work for both in store and online purchases, and you don't have to worry about some customer getting irate when their game rings up full price at the register because it's the fourth copy.

I'm sure a lot of people would have liked it if the system just didn't apply the benefit on the fourth copy, but that's not necessarily the easiest to implement or most cost effective for their accounting.

It's much easier to just have a system scrub for the fourth purchase and terminate the membership after the fact. That can be easily applied to work for both in store and online purchases, and you don't have to worry about some customer getting irate when their game rings up full price at the register because it's the fourth copy.

I'm sure a lot of people would have liked it if the system just didn't apply the benefit on the fourth copy, but that's not necessarily the easiest to implement or most cost effective for their accounting.
I'm certain most customers, including me, when signing up, thought the 4th copy is going to be regular price.

That's the most logical way to think about an add-on membership, rather than you can only buy 3 copies of a game and after that you're doomed, when other customers without GCU can buy unlimited copies.

So, when a game is on sale at a very price even without GCU, we with GCU membership need to create a new account to buy additional copies, which totally doesn't make sense.

I'm certain most customers, including me, when signing up, thought the 4th copy is going to be regular price.
That's the most logical way to think about an add-on membership, rather than you can only buy 3 copies of a game and after that you're doomed, when other customers without GCU can buy unlimited copies.

So, when a game is on sale at a very price even without GCU, we with GCU membership need to create a new account to buy additional copies, which totally doesn't make sense.
See, and here I took it as "these are the terms, if you violate them we'll cancel your membership". Which is easy to validate as they've done that for years

Funny how no one complains about these programmers whenever a Best Buy glitch is discovered early Sunday AM :lol:

I've never bought more than 3 copies of the same game, but I still can't understand why people are defending Best Buy on this. It would be simple to take away the discount on your fourth copy. It's also messed up that they would delete your whole account so that you lose your warranties and purchase history. Why not just end the GCU benefits?

I remember reading this thread on ResetEra a few days ago and a mod closed that thread, and now it's here - in the deal section no less.

Is OP same person coming here to complain about not following BB GCU ToS? :shame:
I've never heard of ResetEra. So not the same OP.

Go wag that finger at someone else. I posted it on the deals section because I assume its more high traffic than the other sections and is important info none the less. Gotta warn people to not abuse that GCU any more.

Hey CAGs with GCU did you go into BB and Buy other FULL price items with your GCU discount on games or did you just get the discount on the game? Rest my case "Hope dont work"
Guess they finally figured that out and cancelled GCU.

And look at how long it's been since that happened.
Last BB glitch I partook in was that S8 / S8+ glitch. Think I snagged around 15? phones of S8 / S8+ variety. If only I had seen the deal 10 minutes earlier.

One time a BB packer put someones Macbook Pro in my box instead of the Wolfenstein CE I ordered. I had their invoice but the box had my shipping address etc. obviously. I should thank BB for their fuck-ups and can understand how a packer in the warehouse messed up. The Wolfenstein CE / Macbook Pro had similar box shapes.

I see many of you got shit canned by Best Buy.....good for them

Excuse me as I use some of my BestBuy Rewards points with My GCU on some games right now.

Still, Best Buy is going too far, like gamestop too far at this point
I hope this move is wroth it for them, because they are alienating more than people who abused the system at this point

I was always on the fence about them, and the GCU really made me give them more business than i wanted to give them, but after seeing this, (mind you i still have GCU and I’m in good standing) i still would rather shop at target or whatever

I dont see the point, they are nitpicking with a monopoly and they already won...they are being gamestop petty , and i think they deserve whatever business they lose resultantnly, greedy

I honestly feel bad for those who didn’t abuse the system too much and got this crazy auditing, losing warranties and what not , thats ridiculous
lol what monopoly do you think they had?

Hey CAGs with GCU did you go into BB and Buy other FULL price items with your GCU discount on games or did you just get the discount on the game? Rest my case "Hope dont work"
I mean I actually purchased plenty of things that weren't discounted through GCU, as well as some items that weren't on sale.

Not that its relevant, because this argument is flawed from the start. A discount provided by GCU is not the same as an item being on sale - Especially since there are sales (like the upcoming Days of Play) that are driven by the distributor, and it would be borderline illegal for them to require a retailer to sell an item at a cost that yielded a loss instead of a profit. Retailers often get credits or reimbursements when items are placed on sale by coming to an arrangement with the distributor of said item. This is why you may see a game that was out for 2 months suddenly on sale for 20% off, but the price then remains at $60 for the next year (cough, Overwatch) - The distributor agreed to said sale, provided some form of credit (because TBH the sale is beneficial for them as well - greater install base, opening the opportunity to sell DLC or other games they publish).

But hey, if you really want to know - I've bought three TVs at Best Buy, only one of which was on sale at the time of purchase. I'm sure I could have saved a bit buying it through Amazon, but not enough to outweigh the convenience. I've also bought release day movies at full price for things I either really like and want to support, or things that I want to then share with friends. Oh, we can throw in CDs, too, if we go back far enough... Cables, surge protectors, currency cards for XBL/PSN/eShop/Google/iTunes... I've bought a fair number of Minecraft items, too, because I would take a 5-6-7 year old there every two weeks after we went out to eat and let him choose an item below a certain price point if he had been doing well in school.

what's everyone's thoughts on Game 2 so far

Sure are a lot of pharmacists here.

At best I’d say there’s one pharmacists assistant.

I see many of you got shit canned by Best Buy.....good for them

Excuse me as I use some of my BestBuy Rewards points with My GCU on some games right now.

Oh yeah, you definitely had this coming.
52887b90f063c9174be30de8fef40786.jpg

What if you bought the GCU membership more than 3 times in a year?  Is it like a ban inside a ban inside a ban inside a ban....

I think most customers, upon reading the TOS and seeing "You can only buy 3 copies of the same game" looked and it and were like "Why would I ever want 3 copies of the same game"? and moved on.

I love how everyone laughing at the people who got their accounts eradicated continuously talk about and screenshot TOS like they read every signup contract they come in contact with... HAHAHAHA right...

For those people like me who purchased many things other than games at best buy and still got their accounts purchase history wiped out, I found a way to locate any existing preorders and cancel them if you want. Every order is tied to sending an email to your bb email you signed up with. This may work for finding warranty info for appliance purchases as well if that shows up in the order information page (I haven't purchased any from them so I cant test it).

And no any existing preorder you had before the account wipe is still active and will most likely be charged on the release day but theres no telling if best buy will keep gcu pricing on existing orders or not (since its discontinued per member id). So to be safe I cancelled whatever I had left. Will also be sure to cancel my card I used for more than 5k in purchases at their store every year once I pay off my promo balance.

1) Find the email for each preorder and copy and paste the order id starting with "BBY01" in the guest order lookup page (you have to sign out in order to use this feature).

1a) Easy way i found all my preorder emails from best buy was by searching the quoted phrase earlier and evey email will come up.

2) It will find the order with your last name and phone number along with the previously mentioned order number.

3) Go ahead and cancel the order :)

Im mentioning this because who knows what this shit hole of a company will do next. Haha XD. They're never getting any of my business again at least. Also didnt see anyone else post anything about existing orders or just previous orders in general. So hope this helps!

I love how everyone laughing at the people who got their accounts eradicated continuously talk about and screenshot TOS like they read every signup contract they come in contact with... HAHAHAHA right...

For those people like me who purchased many things other than games at best buy and still got their accounts purchase history wiped out, I found a way to locate any existing preorders and cancel them if you want. Every order is tied to sending an email to your bb email you signed up with. This may work for finding warranty info for appliance purchases as well if that shows up in the order information page (I haven't purchased any from them so I cant test it).

And no any existing preorder you had before the account wipe is still active and will most likely be charged on the release day but theres no telling if best buy will keep gcu pricing on existing orders or not (since its discontinued per member id). So to be safe I cancelled whatever I had left. Will also be sure to cancel my card I used for more than 5k in purchases at their store every year once I pay off my promo balance.

1) Find the email for each preorder and copy and paste the order id starting with "BBY01" in the guest order lookup page (you have to sign out in order to use this feature).

1a) Easy way i found all my preorder emails from best buy was by searching the quoted phrase earlier and evey email will come up.

2) It will find the order with your last name and phone number along with the previously mentioned order number.

3) Go ahead and cancel the order :)

Im mentioning this because who knows what this shit hole of a company will do next. Haha XD. They're never getting any of my business again at least. Also didnt see anyone else post anything about existing orders or just previous orders in general. So hope this helps!
So basically you're nuking your own account?

This is kinda like the equivalent of getting fired and telling everyone you quit. 😂😂

Has Best Buy added this to their "Terms and Conditions" yet?

Price firm, no bargain, can't be bothered to reply

It would save on alot of headaches

Last BB glitch I partook in was that S8 / S8+ glitch. Think I snagged around 15? phones of S8 / S8+ variety. If only I had seen the deal 10 minutes earlier.

One time a BB packer put someones Macbook Pro in my box instead of the Wolfenstein CE I ordered. I had their invoice but the box had my shipping address etc. obviously. I should thank BB for their fuck-ups and can understand how a packer in the warehouse messed up. The Wolfenstein CE / Macbook Pro had similar box shapes.
You’re the type that finds a 100 bucks on the ground and doesn’t take a moment to see if anyone dropped it.

Doesn’t bother me other than Best Buy SHOULD have been doing this the entire time, don’t have rules that you don’t enforce. OP sounds typically entitled, the fact that he has multiple accounts says it all there. If B.B. has enforced this rule, maybe we would still have this program, but they didn’t and a small group have taken advantage of this and are being dropped.

Hell they probably got rid of GCU partly because of exploitative asshats. They should've enforced the rule long ago.

bread's done
Back