Bestbuy Hellgate London Price Drop

me_schnitzel

CAGiversary!
I was in Bestbuy in SLC, UT yesterday and there regular edition Hellgate London had dropped to 19.99. Don't know if this YMMV or across the board. Just thought I'd drop a line here. :D

Apparently Flagship is not accepting any more online paid account, and if you are already signed up the service is free until the inevitable crash, but for a single player game if you havent played it before it could be entertaining for a run through or two. and 19.99 bucks isnt horrible for a game that is at least faily fun. IMO

personaly ill be playing Diablo II LOD until Diablo 3 releases. US West: meSchnitzel

Yeah, I remember being so hyped up for this game but was utterly dissapointed at the demo.

Surprisingly, Flagship is still up and running, although without the majority of its members (Roper is still there).

[quote name='SoulReaver']Yeah, I remember being so hyped up for this game but was utterly dissapointed at the demo.

Surprisingly, Flagship is still up and running, although without the majority of its members (Roper is still there).[/QUOTE]

Flagship is in real financial trouble right now. The studio almost closed a few weeks ago and then found funding to keep their doors open for while longer. If you are interested in the Flagship saga you can read it here:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/3...ired-All-I-P-Lost-But-Now-The-Studio-Is-Saved

I think this drop may be universal. I have seen Hellgate at a bunch of stores for $19.99 over the last few weeks. I thought about picking it up but I have just read so much bad stuff about the game I just couldn't bring myself to give the game a shot.

[quote name='rant']Flagship is in real financial trouble right now. The studio almost closed a few weeks ago and then found funding to keep their doors open for while longer. If you are interested in the Flagship saga you can read it here:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/3...ired-All-I-P-Lost-But-Now-The-Studio-Is-Saved

I think this drop may be universal. I have seen Hellgate at a bunch of stores for $19.99 over the last few weeks. I thought about picking it up but I have just read so much bad stuff about the game I just couldn't bring myself to give the game a shot.[/quote]

I think the game is worth 19.99. I've been playing it since beta, and I think a lot of the bad press was there because people expected D3. Sure there were some issues, but most of them were patched since release and to be a great game Hellgate needs continuous updates which it probably won't get now (although it still may be an ongoing concern, so you're gambling in that area). But it is a good, solid and, I would say, fun $19.99 game.

Wow, I had no idea Flagship was in trouble. I picked up a couple copies of Hellgate (the $19.99 is a universal drop, btw) a month ago and while the levels get repetitive, it's pretty fun. I never expected a Diablo-killer and I was aware of its faults when I bought it and was not disappointed. $20 is a good price - I just hope the server survives.

[quote name='CheapBastardToo']I think the game is worth 19.99. I've been playing it since beta, and I think a lot of the bad press was there because people expected D3. Sure there were some issues, but most of them were patched since release and to be a great game Hellgate needs continuous updates which it probably won't get now (although it still may be an ongoing concern, so you're gambling in that area). But it is a good, solid and, I would say, fun $19.99 game.[/quote]

People expected D3 since it was hyped that way. Problem with hyping up your game that way is you can't launch with all the issues they had and expect people to give the game a chance. Assassin's Creed comes to mind as far as games that don't live up to the hype but still find success. From what I read, Hellgate was just broken... not exactly what PC gaming needs, more tray and pray.

[quote name='Shimrra']Do you need to be online to play this game or can you play offline?[/QUOTE]

SP Patch 1.2
There is a SP portion to the game -- which only requires you have the CD in the drive to boot the game up and play all by your lonesome self. The SP version IS NOT as patched-up as the MP portion of the game and is lacking some of the extra content the MP has. The SP is patched-up to SP Version 1.2 currently.

SP Patch 1.2 does NOT contain any of the additional Stonehedge content. Also, it does not contain any of the additional Abyss Chronicles content, either.

Official MP Patch 1.3
Meanwhile The MP is up to MP Version 1.3, officially.

Also, if you are an active "Monthly Subscriber" or a "Founder Subscriber" (Lifetime Subscription), you will have additional MP-only Stonehedge content.

Beta MP Patch 2.0
Meanwhile, "Monthly Subscribers" and "Founders" right now can test out a Beta Version of MP Version 2.0 -- which is not complete and has not been released as a final version yet. Yet, many have praised this Beta version b/c of its improvements in many regards; in-game performance, new graphics features, new boss battles; new items; etc.

Beta MP Patch 2.0 offers the new MP-Only Abyss Chronicles content, for "Subscribers" and "Founders."

About The MP Situation
Given the current situation w/ Flagship firing most of its employees and Hanbit trying to buy-out HGL and Mythos IP's from Flagship, who the hell knows how much longer the MP might actually be around up and all. You'd have to hope that regardless of who has the HGL IP, they want to keep the MP servers going in the USA.

If worst comes to worst and the USA MP support is pulled, we might be left w/ only SP Version 1.2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played from alpha and considered a Founder Subscription, but it was rushed out of beta with bugs.. so I stuck to WOW. That said, it's a decent MMOFPS, and wish it caught on. Shame really, because I wanted the ex-Blizzard North / Condor team to succeed.

Meanwhile, D3 looks awesome. Too bad that the team didn't stick around.

bread's done
Back