BF Shopping - How early is too early

lordxixor101

CAGiversary!
I am not a BF shopper, and I really plan to happily sleep in this Friday, wake up, and play video games most of the day.

That being said, I saw an ad for Kohl's, which is opening at 4am for BF. Now, come on, I know people get out early, but where does the line need to be drawn? Are most shoppers itching to get out earlier and earlier? Heck, why not just start it at midnight, everyone can be done by 4am.

To each their own if you enjoy this, but in reality, wouldn't everyone be happier if they just started the shopping at noon? Honestly, you could stay up drinking on Thanksgiving night, sleep in, have a great breakfast, and then casually start your shopping day?

Maybe I'm way off here.

You're already too late. /obligatory joke

I'm with ya on not going out in the BF madness. I'm usually the only one left at home relaxing.

There's a big factory outlet strip mall in/near Hagerstown MD. They opened last year at Midnight on Black Friday. They ended up having so many people show up that roads were clogged and the parking lot was completely full. Insanity.

I too have no interest in fighting the crowds for saving 20 bones but I think that some people enjoy the rush of shopping with crowds and if they will come in at 4 AM go ahead and open up and sell them some crap.

[quote name='wubb']You're already too late. /obligatory joke

I'm with ya on not going out in the BF madness. I'm usually the only one left at home relaxing.

There's a big factory outlet strip mall in/near Hagerstown MD. They opened last year at Midnight on Black Friday. They ended up having so many people show up that roads were clogged and the parking lot was completely full. Insanity.[/quote]Just heard an ad on the radio this morning for the outlet mall south of Akron, OH... they're open at 11pm tomorrow. Screw Friday, right?

Here is a picture of some Black Friday Consumers:
cattle1.jpg

BF is stupid. Those doorbusters aren't worth it if you have to spend the night camping out. Last year I worked at Target and it was fun to see how crazy people rush in and try to sneak out thinking the checkout line was short.

I have never done the whole doorbuster thing, I may go shopping later in the day to see what's still left but that's it. ONe of my co-workers this year is going shopping on BF fpr the first time and just plan on getting there when the store opens, I just had to chuckle to myself since she doesn't realise how long the line will be to get in and than the line to to check out will be.

The Kohl's near me had a cashier said that last year they lined up and one guy fell and no one cared, they just ran over him. He was taken to the hospital. The cashier said that the sales weren't even that good. It's never worth it.

Every place should do it like the Best Buy in my area. I went there last year. They gave every one numbered cards and let 50 in at a time. Let 50 in, waited like 5 minutes, let the next 50 in, waited 5 minutes, etc., etc. Its a good system, unlike the "lets open the doors and let everyone rush in at once" idea. Plus about an hour before they came through the line with tickets, so if they got to your spot in line and there wasnt anymore tickets for the items that you wanted, you could just leave and go somewhere else.

Everyone should just do it like that.

[quote name='life.exe']Every place should do it like the Best Buy in my area. I went there last year. They gave every one numbered cards and let 50 in at a time. Let 50 in, waited like 5 minutes, let the next 50 in, waited 5 minutes, etc., etc. Its a good system, unlike the "lets open the doors and let everyone rush in at once" idea. Plus about an hour before they came through the line with "vouchers" so if they got to your spot in line and there wasnt anymore vouchers for the items that you wanted, you could just leave and go somewhere else.

Everyone should just do it that way.[/quote]

That sounds fair. Last year was fun for me since I got to see how crazy people really acted. All of them rushing in, after standing out in the cold for who knows how long. At least my job was easy, just directing traffic and maintaining some sort of crowd control. Though as the day went on, around noonish the crowds weren't so bad anymore. It's just those damn crazy morning people who camp out that make BF so horrible.

Drove by BB on my way home from dinner last Thanksgiving and there were fools lined up around the building at 6pm. It was freezing out too.

[quote name='life.exe']Every place should do it like the Best Buy in my area. I went there last year. They gave every one numbered cards and let 50 in at a time. Let 50 in, waited like 5 minutes, let the next 50 in, waited 5 minutes, etc., etc. Its a good system, unlike the "lets open the doors and let everyone rush in at once" idea. Plus about an hour before they came through the line with tickets, so if they got to your spot in line and there wasnt anymore tickets for the items that you wanted, you could just leave and go somewhere else.

Everyone should just do it like that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but that would be perfectly reasonable and sane.. the idea would never catch on. It's the chaos of it all that draws so many people out, apparently.

What am I gonna be doing at 4am on Friday? Sleeping.

I'll be going out for the first time this year for BF. I'm looking for the 22" widescreen LCD monitor from BB for 200, need 2 of them.

I'll leave the house like...4:30 or so. If it's superbad, I'll just go back home and sleep.

[quote name='Logain8955']I'll be going out for the first time this year for BF. I'm looking for the 22" widescreen LCD monitor from BB for 200, need 2 of them.

I'll leave the house like...4:30 or so. If it's superbad, I'll just go back home and sleep.[/quote]
Just to give you an idea, I was #200 last year when I got there at 2 am and by opening there was over 1k in line, and I dont live in a very populated area. So depending on how good of a deal that is and where you live, you might want to leave a little bit earlier.

[quote name='shieryda']I can't wait to see the news footage later in the day of people getting trampled when the stores open.[/quote]

That's always fun to watch :lol:

On my way to dinner at 3:30 they were around 100 deep at BB. It was 33 outside and dropping. Crazy.

I don't see the point of waiting in line when a lot of the deals were online anyway and you can find similar or better deals by going to CAG or SD (for non gaming deals) all year.

[quote name='DiscoDuck8k']Yeah, but that would be perfectly reasonable and sane.. the idea would never catch on. It's the chaos of it all that draws so many people out, apparently.

What am I gonna be doing at 4am on Friday? Sleeping.[/quote]

Actually a Bestbuy my brother works at uses the same system at the store and it ran smooth, I went to the same store at about 9:30am last BF and it looked like a Monday morning and it actually had some good parking.

Meh, looks like I'm gonna have to buy my parents a GPS system this year. I guess I should head to BB at 6 if I want to get the Garmin nuvi 200. Do you need to purchase subcriptions for service with those things, or is it just a buy it and you're set for life kinda deal?

I have a friend who works at Kohl's, and he needs to be there by 3:30 am. He told me he was going to go in at 3 am, because last year he nearly got mauled by little old ladies who camped out and thought he was cutting in line. :roll: Insanity, I tell you.

I'll be sleeping in, catching some online deals in my pajamas, and going no where near a store until mid-week.

I'm going out in a few hours, but to stores less traveled. I'm hoping to score a GPS, a Laptop and a DVD/VCR Recorder from stores that hopefully will NOT have super long lines. My plan is simple: go to store one at 330 to get a spot/get in line, go to store two and wait for it to open at 6, then go to store 3 and get in when they open at 7. The goal is the laptop - the rest I can do without, so if I have to blow off store one entirely to get in line at the 2nd place, then so be it.

bread's done
Back