Big DVD Sale: DVDs as low as $5.99

Take a look at the "Bestsellers in The Big DVD Sale" (lower right hand side) for a laugh:

1/2 Blu
3/8 shows on DVD
one DVD movie (The Hangover) for $9.49

When Amazon throws out a convoluted sale like this, the first thing that says it's BS is the bestseller list ignoring their pitch.

[quote name='madara']Oooh elitist snobbery, always go with a thread.[/QUOTE]Elitist snob? Either you're bad at math or a moron to buy a dying format. You decide.

EDIT: Actually, both of those things make you a moron. My fault.

No really dying since I'm pretty sure Blu-Rays play DVDs. Plus I barely know anyone with a Blu-Ray player outside of a PS3, and even then it is a very small minority.

[quote name='momouchi']No really dying since I'm pretty sure Blu-Rays play DVDs. Plus I barely know anyone with a Blu-Ray player outside of a PS3, and even then it is a very small minority.[/QUOTE]

Just because they only have a PS3 as a blu ray player doesn't discount them for having a blu ray player. PS3s have been and always will be the best blu ray players there are (except for old people who hate technology). If there are 20 million PS3 owners, that's 20 million people who have blu ray players. Then there's probably a large sum from the older demographic who have actual blu-ray players. Definitely not what I'd call a "minority."

DVDs are a dying technology. You saw DVD/VHS combos back when VHS was being phased out, so your argument has no grounds. It's only backwards compatible because they don't want to completely alienate DVD owners. Eventually DVDs will stop being made in favor of blus.

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']Who still buys DVDs? lol[/QUOTE]

Old people, poor people, and jerks. ;)

Regardless, thanks for the deal OP. Once in a blue moon I'll buy a DVD of something I'm 99.999999999999% sure will never ever have a blu-ray release.

[quote name='Darknuke']Just because they only have a PS3 as a blu ray player doesn't discount them for having a blu ray player. PS3s have been and always will be the best blu ray players there are (except for old people who hate technology). If there are 20 million PS3 owners, that's 20 million people who have blu ray players. Then there's probably a large sum from the older demographic who have actual blu-ray players. Definitely not what I'd call a "minority."

DVDs are a dying technology. You saw DVD/VHS combos back when VHS was being phased out, so your argument has no grounds. It's only backwards compatible because they don't want to completely alienate DVD owners. Eventually DVDs will stop being made in favor of blus.[/QUOTE]Not only that, but the new release DVDs are overpriced. When the BD/DVD/DC is around 19.99, the DVD only version is typically $2-$5 less. That makes no sense whatsoever.

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']Not only that, but the new release DVDs are overpriced. When the BD/DVD/DC is around 19.99, the DVD only version is typically $2-$5 less. That makes no sense whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

That's what got me into Blu. I was sick of seeing all of the Disney deals pass by. Most recently the Back To The Future Trilogy for $15. DVD price? $35.

I still have to defend DVD though: VHS was an awful media: magnetically vulnerable, manual rewind/fast forward, heat sensitive, and general overall loss of quality over time.

DVD to Blu is mostly a storage issue: 50GB vs 8.5GB. I'm still waiting for my entire seasons of TV in standard definition on one BD disc. I could have sworn that was a promised feature back in the original pitches.

Sonic: Re: your 99.9% issue: I still have an old VHS copy (copied copy) of Meet The Feebles. That one was definitely in that category. It would have never gotten a release on DVD if Peter Jackson didn't do LOTR.

Probably people who live in the 80% of US households that don't have a blu ray player.

I still buy buy DVDs when the price is right ($6 and below) or if it something I think I might pass on to friends or relatives, most of whom do not have blu ray players. Black Dynamite is not going to be less funny on DVD than on Blu ray

[quote name='K_G']Probably people who live in the 80% of US households that don't have a blu ray player.

I still buy buy DVDs when the price is right ($6 and below) or if it something I think I might pass on to friends or relatives, most of whom do not have blu ray players. Black Dynamite is not going to be less funny on DVD than on Blu ray[/QUOTE]Do you always make up fake statistics to help your argument? Or is this a special occasion?

good job op, thanks for the link.

who cares about statistics, you dont like a deal, dont mind it.

also, i get the joke from mr olympic from post 2

[quote name='Animal7390']good job op, thanks for the link.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I just post them when I see them because sometimes others may not know about the deals (which has happened to me before).

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']Do you always make up fake statistics to help your argument? Or is this a special occasion?[/QUOTE]

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/10/03/blu-ray-household-penetration-hits-17-percent/

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu-ray-disc/blu-ray-household-penetration-tops-17-20731

No, I actually spent about 4 seconds typing "us blu ray household penetration" into a search engine to figure it out....maybe you should try it some time.

Given this survey is 8 months old, I upped the percentage to 20 from 17....I wouldn't be surprised if got up to 25% sometime this year, although the fact that entry level hardware seems to have plateaued at approx $100 mark since 2009 may mean that household penetration growth may slow down a bit until cheaper hardware comes along.

Who still buys disc media for content? Blu-rays will die out much quicker than DVDs did.

[quote name='K_G']http://hd.engadget.com/2010/10/03/blu-ray-household-penetration-hits-17-percent/

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu-ray-disc/blu-ray-household-penetration-tops-17-20731

No, I actually spent about 4 seconds typing "us blu ray household penetration" into a search engine to figure it out....maybe you should try it some time.

Given this survey is 8 months old, I upped the percentage to 20 from 17....I wouldn't be surprised if got up to 25% sometime this year, although the fact that entry level hardware seems to have plateaued at approx $100 mark since 2009 may mean that household penetration growth may slow down a bit until cheaper hardware comes along.[/QUOTE]Did you fail your GED exam? Sources from Engadget won't get you a D from Professor Sarah Palin.

[quote name='dg7md']Who still buys disc media for content? Blu-rays will die out much quicker than DVDs did.[/QUOTE]
I'm inclined to agree with that, the argument here is moot.

[quote name='Darknuke']Eventually DVDs will stop being made in favor of blus.[/QUOTE]

Won't happen as there's too much content that doesn't benefit from being released on Blu-Ray. Plus there's way too many people out there who are now just getting into DVD so why kill a cash cow.

bread's done
Back