Big Problem with Vista Sharing Media to 360

greyzieoriental

CAGiversary!
Feedback
68 (100%)
Allright I just got Vista couple of weeks ago and everything was working fine. I was able to play my divx files on the 360 through file sharing with Windows Media Player 11.

It wasn't til yesterday this problem started happening. I was in the middle of watching one of my shows from my computer and I forgot that the file was streaming off the computer to my xbox 360, so i decided to shut it down. The show kept playing for a lil bit then it stopped, so I turned on my PC again and turned my 360 off and back on. The files showed back up again on my 360.

Now when I select the source on my 360, I get a Message on my PC right after saying this word for word:

"Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service stopped working and was closed.

A problem caused the application to stop working correctly.
Windows will notify you if there is a solution available. "

This happens everytime I try to select the source or when it does seem to work right after i play the file.
I tried a system restore with no luck, tried removing and adding the 360 back to the Media Sharing on WMP11, no luck. Tried looking all over the internet which i might not be able to do as well as some of you guys, but i had no luck.

So now i finally decided to turn to CAG after trying to fix this for 1/2 a day. If anyone can help me please, I would really really appreciate it.

Yo homie, one of the other CAG guys showed me Tversity (google it). I use that to stream, works VERY well. It's free, all you gotta do is add your file locations onto there, and then you can set it to automatically open up when u open your computer. Quick fix for your trouble.

Does take a while (few seconds) to get movies started, after that it runs smooth. Usually watch Naruto & movies.

Thanks shaveice(I also use it to watch Shippuuden and Movies), are you also running vista? if so, were you having the same problems as well?

The program works great but I would still like to have my Vista and WMP11 running the way it should be, i'm really disappointed in Vista because of this problem.

Also it seems that Tversity runs on startup as well, I would eventually like to get rid of the program and revert back to the normal way I had it. But for now that was a great quick fix, I was getting really irritated with all my attempts to fix it and failures.

So if any other CAGs having the same problems I am, please enlighten me if you found a cure to the problem. [Warning to anyone looking to switch from XP to Vista and want to share files on 360.](This Thread Might Be helpful someday)

Naw I have Windows XP, not the media center edition though. Computer is pretty outdated. I can't believe you upgraded to Vista though. I heard of guys downgrading from Vista to XP because of how buggy it was, but not the other way around.

If I had Vista maybe I could help you out. Your best bet would be to search the web & wait for someone here to help you. No need to put hours of time trying to fix it when you have TVersity working.

Maybe you can just delete WMP11 (including the folder and all the settings) and then just reinstall. If you do that, you can set it up again right?

dont use tversity or any other 3rd party program...everything is set up now so you dont have to do that stuff...just go to wmp11 and under library go to media sharing then re-enable the xbox 360

[quote name='Malik112099']dont use tversity or any other 3rd party program...everything is set up now so you dont have to do that stuff...just go to wmp11 and under library go to media sharing then re-enable the xbox 360[/QUOTE]

are you saying that after i installed tversity everything would be set back up to normal if i uninstall it? because before i installed tversity my file sharing was working great with wmp11, then all of a sudden i would get that message and thats every time i would try to access it, i would deny the 360 connection, remove it, add it back again and i still get that message, thought it might be my router or firewall, took that off, tried opening some ports, restore router to defualts and installed it again, no help, Tversity is doing the job for now though

and i didnt upgrade to vista i kinda bought a computer with vista installed on it, i useto use XP on my old PC, but yea i kind of miss XP and all my programs that aren't xp compatible

oh yea and i cant find anyway to uninstall WMP11 on XP

Make sure the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" is running on your PC... to check, follow these directions:

1. START
2. Right Click "computer", choose "manage"
3. Expand "Services and Applications"
4. Click on "Services"
5. Scroll down to the Service I listed above (alphabetic)
6. Check the status column to make sure it is started
7. Right click service listed above and choose properties
8. Choose "recovery" tab and set all failures to "Restart the Service"

This could fix your problem... I've had a similar issue when I migrated to Vista with this particular service crashing and not restarting. PM me if it doesn't fix your problem I will try and help you out.

Good luck!

nope, nillym that didnt help, i actually tried that before as well, but i guess i'll be using Tversity for now, works really good, just like the other guy said takes lil longer to load up but afterwards it works fine

oh well, screw vista lol

Doesn't Vista have MCE installed by default? I haven't taken the plunge yet although I used the Beta version for 5 months or so.

[quote name='daphatty']Doesn't Vista have MCE installed by default? I haven't taken the plunge yet although I used the Beta version for 5 months or so.[/quote]

Yeah, my laptop came with Vista Home Premium and it's pretty much set up by default. Once the 360 joins the network, the vista recognizes it immediately as a Media Center Extender.

Open WMP11 and add files to the shared library and you're all set.

I dunno why it would stop working like in the OP. Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling WMP11 and not just a system restore?

In Windows Media Player 11
1. You have to go to tools
2. Then click options
3. Then click the Library tab
4. Then click sharing
5. Then a message should pop-up saying WMP11 sharing has been disabled
6. Then click ok and Make sure Share my Media is checked
7. then click ok again and it'll take you to a window where you can see all the devices your library is being shared to.
8. One more click on OK should do it.

I’ve got the same problem as the original poster. I was using WMP11 to stream for a couple weeks. Suddenly around Xmas, it quit working. I checked my sharing settings on my Vista PC. When I’d start WMP11, it would say that sharing had stopped. I’d go back in and turn it on. When I’d click the final OK, about 5 seconds later I would get a crash message from Windows that sharing had been stopped. I’ve tried it about 20 times and get the same crash everytime.

I also have the Zune software installed on my PC. It also crashes when I try to turn sharing on. Something is just F’d with my PC and it’s annoying.

It might have to deal with the way your devices are connected to your router. Both my 360 and my laptop are wireless and It streams weird until I plug one into the router with a cat-5 cable. Then it streams without a hitch.

[quote name='massermind19']It might have to deal with the way your devices are connected to your router. Both my 360 and my laptop are wireless and It streams weird until I plug one into the router with a cat-5 cable. Then it streams without a hitch.[/quote]

everything in my house is wireless through a linksys wrt54g and i stream without any hitches through media player 11. If you dont see the xbox in the sharing list then you need to turm on the xbox and then re-install wmp11

[quote name='NWgamer666']At least you all with problems got this far. My 360 can't even see my XP machine on the network.[/quote]

did you go to the media blae hit video then pressed x to choose the pc?

The things is everything worked fine for weeks for me. I don't know what I did, but WMP11 just doesn't work. I also noticed yesterday that I can't even use it to watch a WMV video on my Vista PC. The video will play for about 3 seconds and then crash.

I just tried again and WMP still crashes when trying to watch a movie.

[quote name='Hoffer']The things is everything worked fine for weeks for me. I don't know what I did, but WMP11 just doesn't work. I also noticed yesterday that I can't even use it to watch a WMV video on my Vista PC. The video will play for about 3 seconds and then crash.

I just tried again and WMP still crashes when trying to watch a movie.[/quote]

you need to re-install WMP11 and then install the divx codec

and how do you reinstall wmp11 on vista? i cant find anyway to uninstall it

are you using vista malik?

also my network is wired between my 360 and pc, so i dont have to worry about the wireless problems

i had no problems with xp but i used windows media connect

Man ive just put my system through its paces, tried all of the above but no joy. The funny thing is that audio file playback is unaffected its just movies. it was working fine 2 nights ago. Im using a brand new system as well. gonna have to burn files to dvd to playback on the 360, how annoying is that especially when ive just forked out for this new rig mainly so i could playback video files on the 360. i really dont want to reinstall the operating system only for this to happen again. any further suggestions on this topic would be appreciated....peace:cool:

bread's done
Back