Big STEAM Update in July

[quote name='cgarb84']I have to say this sounds pretty sweet. I have come to really like Steam over the years.[/QUOTE]
o_O You cannot be thinking of the same Steam as I am.

[quote name='crystalklear64']o_O You cannot be thinking of the same Steam as I am.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm with you. Steam has improved over the years but it's still pretty buggy. I've had it since HL2's launch and I remember back then it used to crash every time I closed HL2.

I like Steam because I have literally never had a single problem with it in years. It always works great for me and the game store has gotten really large and varied in the last few years.

Personally, I think their scraping out of vital features from the HL1 engine and taking decades to patch them in (Well, in CS it took them not long at all. TFC is what I'm talking about.) were downright criminal and gutted the TFC community.

Still, I've always enjoyed Steam and never had any serious problems with it. I guess I can see them kinda whiffing the HL1 engine spec a bit, and I'll give it to them.

Seriously though, OP? Couldn't you copy-paste the Steam update details?

I don't think I've ever had an issue with STEAM... I don't like that it's required to run games, tries to run whenever you turn on the machine or constantly throws advertising at you... but it does make looking for HL2 mods a bit easier...

I'd prefer to not have to use it, but I do think it's not as bad as people seem to think it is.

[quote name='cgarb84']I like Steam because I have literally never had a single problem with it in years. It always works great for me and the game store has gotten really large and varied in the last few years.[/QUOTE]

Too bad almost everything on there is extremely overpriced. The Hitman games are a prime example - can get that shit for a few dollars on Ebay, if that.

[quote name='smellhasreturned']yea friends works now

but whats supposed to be updated ?[/QUOTE]

[quote name=' Valve']

Free Update Offers New Community Features for Connecting Gamers

June 20, 2007 -- This summer Valve will ship a major update to its online gaming platform Steam, introducing an advanced set of community features to more than 13 million gamers around the world.

Beginning in July, Steam users can set up their own personal Steam pages and profiles, create and join groups, schedule games with friends, review who they've played with, see how well everyone played, chat with groups, chat via voice, and more. These new community services and features can be used with all Steam games, which include new releases and classic titles from leading publishers and independent developers.

Free of charge, the new community features will be accessible via the Steam desktop client and via the web.

"Our community has given us great direction on the ways they want to see Steam evolve," said Gabe Newell, co-founder and president of Valve. "Adding these new community features to make it easier to connect with other gamers is something we've wanted to see on Steam for a long time and this latest update is just the start. We've got a long list of items that we're working on to make it easier for gamers to connect and play games on Steam."

This upgrade marks the largest extension to the Steam platform since its first commercial release in March 2004. In its three year history, Steam has defined the next generation online gaming platform delivering hundreds of games to millions of users with services such as Guest Passes, Automatic Updates, Free Weekends, and allowing gamers to access their games from any PC.[/QUOTE]

I really like how they are trying to stick it to MS with this update.

Thanks for posting the info. I guess I should've done that from the beginning.

About the games being overpriced, I agree that some of them are, but there are some great deals on there sometimes too. For instance, when Flatout was released on Steam I bought it for $5 and was playing it in like 10 minutes without having to do jack shit. Plus it also gives some games that get sent to die at retail a chance to succeed online.

I don't know what's with all the bitching in this thread. Whoever said they hate it when it starts up when they boot their pc....... um yeah you can change that if you want.

I never had a problem with Steam over the years. Considering I played TFC and CS competitively, and rarely, if ever, encountering problems is something to applaud Valve for. I look forward to the update

I don't have a problem with Steam. It's a memory hog, but easy enough to turn off without leaving crap resident in memory. I'd like to see them expand to be similar to Xfire and support non-Steam games. It would be far more useful, IMO.

bread's done
Back