Bigger, Badder and Better: Resistance 2 Reviewed

DesertEagleXIX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Res21.jpg

Developer Insomniac is a beautiful anomaly. Over the past eleven years, they have released twelve games without a single dud in the bunch. Their titles are admirably designed, offering compelling play built around game engines that typically take full advantage of their hardware. From the early Spyro games, to the Ratchet and Clank series, and now with the Resistance franchise, Insomniac creates action games that seize a player’s attention throughout their duration, and invite replay.

When Resistance: Fall of Man was released alongside the Playstation 3, it became the system’s flagship title. Whereas many of the launch games were wither rushed ports or half-hearted efforts like Genji: Days of the Blade, Resistance showed off the capabilities of the PS3. As such, it has been one of the most popular titles for the system, selling in excess of three million copies. Now, nearly two years later, its follow-up has been released.

Resistance 2 is the prototypical sequel; the game retains the atmosphere and visceral impact of the first title, while improving upon nearly every play mechanic. No longer does the player have to scavenge through the environment for health packs; players can regenerate health by taking cover, reminiscent of Halo. Players are now limited to a two weapon loadout at all times; absent is the weapon selection that would pause the game. Significant changes have also been made to the realm outside of the player’s direct control. The previous game presented intellectually-limited enemy AI: chimera would take cover, then pop out at regular intervals to shoot at the player. Now, enemies’ attacks are enjoyably complex; adversaries will rush or even flask the player. The Chimera lineage has also been expanded, from the water-based ‘furies’ to the cloaked ‘chameleon’ that can kill the inattentive player.

The player’s arsenal has also been expanded and tweaked. New additions include the Magnum, a powerful pistol that discharges explosive rounds to the splicer, a weapon that shoots superheated, spinning blades. The bullseye, the weapon of choice for the chimeraian hybrids, has been mercifully upgraded, and is now a threat to player and enemy alike. Occasionally, the powerful weaponry is ineffective for the inexperienced player- even during the game’s tutorial one-hit deaths were not uncommon. Luckily, the checkpoint system has been revamped and is much less punishing. Altogether, players will probably put about a dozen hours into the single player experience.

Continued: http://tech-gaming.com/2008/11/05/bigger-badder-and-better-resistance-2-reviewed.aspx

I just picked up the game tonight and frankly, I love the game so far, the only caveat is the 2 weapon limit, I think that it would have been more enjoyable if there was at least 3, a handgun and 2 other weapons, I kinda' like having handgun, bullseye/rifle and shotgun. it would be a little more fun for me. not a big deal, does not really take to much away from the game.

[quote name='realmadpuppy'] I kinda' like having handgun, bullseye/rifle and shotgun. it would be a little more fun for me.[/QUOTE]

I usually go with the bullseye/sniper rifle combo. Once, the rifles ammo is depleated I pick up a carbine.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back