Biggest CAG Shopping News of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Polls are now open for Biggest CAG Shopping News of the Year.
What was the biggest news that affected (or will effect) your game shopping habbits?

Nominees:

Best Buy's "Devil Customer" Admission
BlockBuster's "End of Late Fees" Announcement
ESPN's $20 Sports Games
EA's NFL Exclusivity Deal
Online Retailers Eliminate Free Shipping (EB, CC, BB)

I assume you mean just general shopping news?

My vote goes to BB's "Demon Customer" mentality shift. After all, who are we to take advantage of their sales? I'm so ashamed. :roll:

[quote name='jimbodan']EA Games NFL exclusivity[/quote]

I was going to say this one too. Can we add this to the running? Most ikely this is what will really be remembered years from now.

[quote name='lionheart4life']Rumors of $5 games becoming a reality at Cirtcuit City this summer.[/quote]

I think he's shooting for more of a general shopping event, rather than a specific sale...

What about FYE's massive store closings? I know a shit-ton of CAGs have been exploiting their absurd trade-in prices for quite a while now.

retards.

[quote name='CheapyD']What was the biggest news that affected (or will effect) your game shopping habbits. [/quote]

No one is asking you what your "best haul" was, or what the best deal was! Cheapy is talking about things that affect your buying/shopping habits. For example, if EB announced that they were no longer going to carry PS2 games, THAT would be something for this category.

i don't know if this would count as this year or next, but how about the price of the PSP? I mean, a few months ago people were saying it would be $300 or more...

Not that I'm really affected by this or anything, but I know a lot of people have been pretty excited by the Blockbuster late fee waive policy - to the point where some people just purchase hard to find titles merely by renting them to keep them.

A lot of free shipping ending (no minimum), including Best Buy, EB, Circuit City etc. Also EB started charging sales tax online. I miss the days of free shipping, Best Buy online sales aren't worth it sometimes now.

I think just a general "EA becoming the devil" is a good one.
20% of Ubisoft, NFl exclusiviety, rude comments about $20 ESPN games, horrible employee treatment, etc.

[quote name='Daz9402']How about the new trend of the Special Edition for $5-$10 more?

Ex.
Mechassult 2[/quote]

The MA2 Special Edition was the same price as the normal version.

[quote name='Daz9402']How about the new trend of the Special Edition for $5-$10 more?

Ex.
Mechassult 2
Halo 2
Splinter Cell 3
MK: Deception[/quote]
Ditto

I don't know how major these would be considered, but they came to mind when I read this thread topic:

- all Gamecube PC titles now $20 each
- bogus Rez re-release rumor
- confirmation of game discs shooting out of PSP
- Capcom's Gamecube exclusives finding their way onto PS2 (i.e. Viewtiful Joe 1/2, Resident Evil 4)
- EA purchasing nearly 20% of Ubisoft's stock
- Blockbuster establishing GameRush (I think that was 2004)
- GameRush freezing accounts and banning people

GameRush freezing accounts started in 05..

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Daz9402']How about the new trend of the Special Edition for $5-$10 more?

Ex.
Mechassult 2[/quote]

The MA2 Special Edition was the same price as the normal version.[/quote]

A normal version is finally out?

Ex.
Mechassult 2
Halo 2
Splinter Cell 3

I second that.

I nominate the Toys'R'Us 2 for 30 & 5$ off any game $20 or less combination- so many free games with no hassle.

Or the release of the DS and soon to come release of the PSP- two great 3D portables. (let me just stress 3D PORTABLE)

The whole EA sucking shpiel is good too.

Oh ya, the NO MORE LATE FEES AT BLOCKBUSTER! (jk) :roll:

[quote name='strayfoxx']Can someone explain to me BB's Devil Customer Admission??[/quote]

Basically, they said that anybody that buys stuff only when it's on sale are devil customers and that they're trying to get rid of them.

Actually, the one that affected me most was all of the Buy 2 GH/PC/Plat Titles for $30 that nearly every retailer under the sun had at one point or another between Turkey Day and Xmas.

[quote name='video_gamer324']I don't know how major these would be considered, but they came to mind when I read this thread topic:

- all Gamecube PC titles now $20 each
- bogus Rez re-release rumor
- confirmation of game discs shooting out of PSP
- Capcom's Gamecube exclusives finding their way onto PS2 (i.e. Viewtiful Joe 1/2, Resident Evil 4)
- EA purchasing nearly 20% of Ubisoft's stock
- Blockbuster establishing GameRush (I think that was 2004)
- GameRush freezing accounts and banning people[/quote]

oooh, good call about the price drop on the players choice games.

And yeah, blockbuster introducing gamerush and trying to complete with gamestop and eb is decent news as well.

I really believe "EA Is the Devil" really is a valid choice here, because before this year I never really though much about getting EA games, besides their PS2 bias, I thought they had good games. But the combination of the poor work conditions coming out and their blatant stranglehold on NFL game rights (which I don't even PLAY - I just think it's a dirty, if legal, trick) has made seriously consider buying any more EA games. At least it's guaranteed I'll never pay full price for 'em.

[quote name='lordopus99']$5 dollar sales at CC
Trade 3 Get PO for 10 at Gamerush[/quote]

Again, this is not for a specific deal. There is a whole other thread regarding that.

This is for news that affected your shopping habits/lifestyle. Like, for instance, if CC up and decided to no longer take competitor's coupons.

Ex.
Mechassult 2
Halo 2
Splinter Cell 3

That has definitely become more and more prevalent, but I'd say the ESPN sports games for $20.

i remember the old madden games got around having the rights to the players names by just using their jersey number, they can just do that again.

Gamestop announcing they are getting rid of classic games(NES, Genesis, SNES, DC games). I used to go there at least twice a week until they decided to remove them from the store and not take them on trade ins anymore.

I miss the joy of buying a bag full of NES/Genesis games with $20 and experiencing great games I've missed out on.

I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned this, but for me the one news event that affected my game shopping the most was the Anarchy Online free offer. It didn't stop other people from buying games like WoW, but it did bring an MMORPG to people who wanted to try one but were too cheap to pay for the subscription fees.

The EA crap is significant, though, and it'll probably be even more significant this coming year when it starts going into effect. I didn't plan on buying Madden 2006 (though I did get Madden 2005 the day it came out), but I, too, think that this monopoly of sorts sucks.

The scarcity of the 2005-expiring $19.99 and under Best Buy Gamer's Gift cards. If I don't find some soon I'll be buying a lot less $20 games this year. A mediocre game at $15 is a lot easier to justify than a mediocre game at $20.

How about DECENT games whose MSRP is $20 bucks (in general)? Katamari Damacy, the ESPN Titles, NARC... etc.

EA gets my vote. From the "ea_spouse" Livejournal, to getting the NFL/AFL rights till... 2010? And buying the Ubisoft stock, etc. Not cool. Not that EA has a monopoly, they could sell Madden 2006 at $70 and people would still buy it.

Best Buy's "Devil Customer" Admission

Definitely changed the way I shop. Prior to this, I was a fan of Best Buy. They had really great deals. I don't like to feel unwanted though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back