Biggest Disappointments of this Console Generation

[quote name='BigPopov']Make one of the best, if not the best JRPG this gen - sells like shit, shut the studio down (Nier)[/QUOTE]

To be fair, the reviews were pretty lackluster. It is only later when fans said it was underrated that it got my attention. And yes, it is probably one of the best of this generation. Certainly the best soundtrack. I just wish I could find my copy...

The FF games suffer from a similar problem of a lot of games this generation: too much focus on the pretty, not enough on the gameplay.

Anyways I got a bad feeling in my stomach the minute I started playing Wii and realized it wasn't true motion gaming even though it was fun. The software lineup didn't compare personally the same way that the Gamecube's library did. It was heartrending watching all that potential waste away.

I guess it might be because I came in late, but I didn't find the Wii to be a disappointment at all. It could have used more games, but I was quite happy with it.

[quote name='buffdrew84']Agreed on the multiplayer focus of the current gen games.

Also, game length is a issue in and of its own right. I don't mind a fantastic 6-7 hour campaign. If a game pads it out to seem longer (or cuts too much to make it short) it all feels unnecessary, or alternatively a jip. A game like tales of graces should and usually is 40 hours long. Whereas the average FPS is like 6. My disappointment stems from the FPS games try to be 10-12 hours long and the RPGs try to be 100 hours long.

Uncharted, which is undoubtedly my favorite series of this gen especially uncharted 2 is the perfect length that it doesn't feel cheap or overstay its welcome[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I think all games should be in the range of 10-15 hours (and cost $40 max). There are too many games and you can't play them all when it takes 50+ to get through something like Borderlands or Skyrim. A lot of them are just long for the sake of being long - Skyward Sword I'm looking at you.

I can't say that I'm really disappointed with this generation. There's really only two things that I didn't like.

The first being the push for motion control when I'd really just rather use a controller.

The second being Grand Theft Auto IV. I beat it and enjoyed it but I had hoped R* was going to capture the magic of an atmosphere similar to Vice City instead of the gritty direction they went. It wasn't bad, just not what I had hoped for.

[quote name='Javery']Agreed. I think all games should be in the range of 10-15 hours (and cost $40 max). There are too many games and you can't play them all when it takes 50+ to get through something like Borderlands or Skyrim. A lot of them are just long for the sake of being long - Skyward Sword I'm looking at you.[/QUOTE]

OMG! Somebody actually agrees with me without calling me names. First time ever on CAG!

[quote name='BigPopov']
Make one of the best, if not the best JRPG this gen - sells like shit, shut the studio down (Nier).[/QUOTE]

The game looks and plays like a PS2 game. So yeah it might be a great JRPG by today's standards but that's like saying you are the tallest midget. This generation has been an absolute disappointment when it comes to JRPGs.

I don't mind long games, even with not having a lot of time to play.

I don't really care about keeping up with games, or playing every good game that interests me.

Makes no difference to me if I'm just playing one game pretty much for a few months (like I have been with Borderlands 2 since mid september, and Skyrim over the summer) or playing a handful of shorter games over that time. As long as I'm having fun, it's all good.

DLC I'm also fine with. I'm not much of a cheapass and I love extending a game I love. I don't like the nickel and dime crap either, but that's easy enough to skip. But I love good DLC that really adds to a game like Borderlands 2 or the Shadow Broker DLC for Mass Effect 3, Oblivion and Skyrim expansions etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest disappointment this generation has been the developers bullying consumers. Period. Look guys we are not the problem for you getting in over your heads. Just because Call of Duty set the benchmark for "big business" in video games; doesn't mean every video game out there has to be a bank roller or shut down the company.

It isn't my fault your online games don't differentiate themselves enough for each other where I need to buy online passes to make up for medicore or lackluster games. How come I don't to buy online passes for halo 4 and call of duty? Because those games are good enough where developers don't need to shoehorn every dollar out of the consumer for medicore games that will undersell.

Also why is it my fault for underperforming sales of single player games I used to love; when this entire industry in the west groomed guns and online kill simulators as the reason for the decline of single player gaming in general? My friends I grew up with still buy TONS of single player games...So what's the beef? The beef is these kill simulators sell so damn much nowdays that every thing pales in comparison, and big whig CEOS view the fact that their single player games can't keep up as an embarrassment.

No new Star Fox, Wave Race, F-Zero.

The retreat of JRPGs from mainstream force to weird niche. The fact that Final Fantasy XII turned out to be a dead end for the series instead of a foundation to build on (and I say this as a huge fan of Final Fantasy XIII).

Some great comments here. I'll echo the person who mentioned DLC or just downloadable stuff being overpriced in general usually.

Hearing about "Wipeout HD" its cost and corresponding track length it sounds like a ripoff to me when you consider the amount of tracks from on disc releases and their comparative costs.
That's one of my biggest issues. These fucking companies argue it's cheaper, what with not having to print a manual, disc, etc. However in the process they don't give you a corresponding value in terms of the content of a game on disc. That wouldn't even be so bad if the price fit the cost in the aforementioned factors, see: $10 or possibly $5 or less(if they're going to nickel and dime you on tracks or other things). The latter cost especially takes into account the lack of cost of the other things.
On another note, as much as there is bitching with MP3 single player conclusion, and rightfully so, Bioware has given us our value worth in terms of MP. Whether this is out of guilt or not who knows but it makes me feel like I got more of a value buying the disc.
As for Virtual Console here, my suggestion is to just buy a Japanese Wii and download the games from it there. You won't be disappointed looking at the amount there. I mean "Cybersled" and even "Starblade"(I think for this one) are on VC arcade on the Japanese Wii. :D

- Screwing consumers to screw gamestop (DLC, online passes, digital)
- Game breaking bugs that don't get fixed
- Lack of niche games
- Gimmicks (Wii mostly)
- Poor pricing. Angry Birds retail being $30? Some low-budget titles releasing at $60? (Velvet Assassin e.g.)

Capcom giving up on Mega Man, don't get me wrong, I am glad for 9 and 10 but there hasn't been a original not compiliation console release of a Mega Man game in almost 10 years. There are other classic games that haven't seen releases this generation although as much as I hate download games in theory, I do enjoy that avenue for smaller games to get made.

Wii as well. I tried to buy games for all 3 but percent wise of time played would go like this. Xbox 360 50%, PS3 40%, Wii 10%. There is just such a crazy amount of shovelware on the DS and Wii that Nintendo seems to have given up on any kind of quality control, most of the games on the disc use only a fraction of what a disc can hold. They sell for retail prices but they aren't even full games compared to some live arcade games that can last 10+ hours.

I agree with the person who mentioned gamers. There are a lot of overly critical reviewers these days that just bash everything, I just finished Mindhack which got universally negative press and while i only played single player, it was an average game to a gamer that has played literally hundreds and thousands of games. A lot of gamers just rip into anything and don't enjoy the games. I do wish games would try to cut back of all the excess story and voice acting when neccessary, gameplay takes a backseat a lot of times to the story and while that is fine, I bought the game to play it, not to watch it.

Companies taking the concept of DLC and exploiting it to make it one of the worst, if not the absolute worst thing to ever happen to gaming.

[quote name='BigPopov']
Lost Odyssey also didn't sell well, which really broke the cliché of Japanese characters. Another fantastic game (which wasn't SE)
[/QUOTE]

LO was indeed a good game but it was a pretty dusty gem percisely because it was cliche. I loved the dream stories and what they did to Kaim and the early feel of the game, but am I the only one who remembers all the shit this game pulled? Gongora says hello:

uhra10.jpg

LO doesn't even deserve mention amongst Sakaguchi's best. And look at Mistwalker's other titles, Blue Dragon and Last Story also being ridden with uninspired character and design choices. This company was a big letdown when you consider the names behind it, or as someone else mentioned, maybe everyone's standards for Japanese games have simply hit rock bottom. Throw in a world map and some potion throwing, and that's enough nostalgia to get us through a generation, apparently.

[quote name='kill3r7']The game looks and plays like a PS2 game.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'd take that as a compliment, given a lot of the mostly style/little substance that seems to be pervasive this generation.

I've only had my PS3 for a year and my biggest hassle is needing internet (which I can't afford) for somethings. Oh look here is a complete version with bonus material that is only available via download such as Arkham Asylum to play as the Joker or the Arkham City GOTY or Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition.

[quote name='BigPopov']Make a decent (not fantastic) FF - sell millions

Make one of the best, if not the best JRPG this gen - sells like shit, shut the studio down (Nier)[/QUOTE]
To be fair, NieR's developers made a lot of crap. Bullet Witch, Drakengard 1 and 2, Dead Aim, a bunch of shitty licensed games...

NieR was awesome, but it was a bizarre outlier.

[quote name='The Crotch']To be fair, NieR's developers made a lot of crap. Bullet Witch, Drakengard 1 and 2, Dead Aim, a bunch of shitty licensed games...

NieR was awesome, but it was a bizarre outlier.[/QUOTE]

You shut your mouth! Drakengard was a great game!

1) Rare and Silicon Knights. Rare started sucking at the end of last gen but I was hoping they'd turn it around and start being great again. BK: Nuts and bolts was promising but no. In a lot of ways, Retro and Platinum are now the studios I hoped Rare and SI would become.

2) No proper Pokemon console RPG.

3) Motion controls.

4) COD team death match. It's too good. I need to kick this 5 year crack habit so I can play some other stuff in my ridiculous back log. I haven't even finnished Mass Effect 1 or Mario Galaxy 2 yet.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']You shut your mouth! Drakengard was a great game![/QUOTE]

It had some really cool aesthetics (grey, empty, foggy environments aside) and its apocalyptic feel was pretty neat and the basic concept is cool. It was also ugly, pointless, and incredibly repetitive. The unique awfulness of its sequel actually made it look pretty good in comparison. But it wasn't. It was bad. It was always bad.

[quote name='The Crotch']It had some really cool aesthetics (grey, empty, foggy environments aside) and its apocalyptic feel was pretty neat and the basic concept is cool. It was also ugly, pointless, and incredibly repetitive. The unique awfulness of its sequel actually made it look pretty good in comparison. But it wasn't. It was bad. It was always bad.[/QUOTE]

I'll give you that it was repetitive (I'd know, I unlocked every weapon in the game to see all the endings), but the story was great, and it had 5 pretty cool and very different endings, that I think made the grind worthwhile. Also, I'm one of the few people that really, really loved it's experimental music style.

I'd understand people not liking it, but it wasn't a BAD game. Just average.

EDIT: I'm aware I said it was great in my previous post. That's my subjective opinion, my feelings on the game reflected in a word. I feel calling it bad is being harsh, when I feel it's clearly not "bad".

[quote name='TheLongshot']Personally, I'd take that as a compliment, given a lot of the mostly style/little substance that seems to be pervasive this generation.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to disparage the game but IMO Neir would be considered a middle of the pack PS2 JRPG. However, I do agree that by today's standards it stands out as being superior to the rest of the crap out there, as I stated in my original post.

The single largest disappointment - the net increase in time between "I put a disc into my console" and "I actually start playing the game". Consider this a combination of Day-Zero patches, mandatory installs, any kind of free-for-new-games DLC that isn't on the disc. I don't hate any one of these things in particular, just the entire waiting ten minutes to play a game thing.

smaller things: The fact that Duke Nukem Forever was actually released, while Starcraft:Ghost wasn't.

Valkyria Chronicles 3 never getting localized.

Nintendo's Store setup. Why can't I play SNES games I buy on my Wii on my 3DS? I can't be the only person who wants this.

Half-Life 2: Episode 3

[quote name='Salamando3000']Nintendo's Store setup. Why can't I play SNES games I buy on my Wii on my 3DS? I can't be the only person who wants this.[/QUOTE]

At least the 3DS plays DS games. And uses SD cards instead of bullshit proprietary memory cards.

Man, the Vita is such garbage. That's another disappointment for the list.

Huh? I play PSP games on my Vita all the time.

The memory card prices are too high though.

I would put the 3DS on the list though due to this being the first time (at least for me) experiencing a poorly built Nintendo product. The screen is wobbly (no, it's not normal since the newer made ones don't have that issue) and the top screen touches the bottom when closed and leaves marks. Sent it back to Nintendo and the one they replaced it with has the same issues.

You're onto something. It would have been an amazingly great idea for the Vita to have a UMD drive.

Silly Sony for not designing it to have one.

The genocide by publishers of creative, relevant game studios.

This list is about a year out of date, but it's still pretty striking: http://kotaku.com/5876693/every-game-studio-thats-closed-down-since-2006

Sony's studio closures have probably gotten the most publicity, but I highly doubt that other publishers haven't done the same thing. Many times, the studio has been reorganized or renamed so many times, their fans don't even realize the pedigree.

Last week, NCSoft dissolved Paragon Studios - the developers of City of Heroes - because, while the game was profitable, it wasn't profitable enough. I understand how opportunity cost works, but it's not like Paragon was reassigned to another one of the publisher's products. They were just fired.

Earlier this year, Sony dissolved Studio Liverpool - once known as Psygnosis - because they weren't generating enough revenue after being shoe-horned into developing only two of the publisher's second-tier franchises. The games sold well, but not extraordinarily well, so the studio got the ax.

Don't forget Sony forcing Zipper to implement the Move with Socom 4. Then shutting down Zipper for the terrible sales that was Socom 4 and thus ruining the SoCrack series.

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']The genocide by publishers of creative, relevant game studios.

This list is about a year out of date, but it's still pretty striking: http://kotaku.com/5876693/every-game-studio-thats-closed-down-since-2006

Sony's studio closures have probably gotten the most publicity, but I highly doubt that other publishers haven't done the same thing. Many times, the studio has been reorganized or renamed so many times, their fans don't even realize the pedigree.

Last week, NCSoft dissolved Paragon Studios - the developers of City of Heroes - because, while the game was profitable, it wasn't profitable enough. I understand how opportunity cost works, but it's not like Paragon was reassigned to another one of the publisher's products. They were just fired.

Earlier this year, Sony dissolved Studio Liverpool - once known as Psygnosis - because they weren't generating enough revenue after being shoe-horned into developing only two of the publisher's second-tier franchises. The games sold well, but not extraordinarily well, so the studio got the ax.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. IMO this is what will ultimately bring the industry down. It will not be the used game market or us (CAGS) never paying full price for games. Today, every publisher is obsessed with reaching COD sales numbers (to appease the investors/stockholders), which is unrealistic. The amount of money needed to produce a AAA title today is at an all-time high, significantly more then at any other point in videogame history. These publishers are investing a ton of money to produce a game and the only way to recoup their initial investment is by having "incredible" sales numbers. As it stands today, the majority of publishers are failing to meet their market projections and those that are fortunate enough to do so are doing so on the backs of a handful of AAA franchises. There is something alarmingly wrong with this business model. Look at THQ as an example of a publisher that couldn't keep up with "Joneses". I understand that a lot of us, gamers, believe that innovation and new IPs are the answer but new IPs require time. They must be brought along slowly, given long development times and a chance grow a solid fanbase. Time is something most of these publishers do not have. They are looking for panacea today.

Big Things:

1. Lack of AAA titles that do something different.
2. Too much hand holding
3. How close review websites are to companies.

Smaller things that don't effect gaming itself as much:

1. Proprietary Hardware ($80 32GB card, $120 250GB hard drive)
2. Region Locking (Stupid Wii/3DS/Xbox)
3. Lack of localization on JRPGs or JPN games.
4. Square pushing FFXIII games down our throat instead of KHIII or Versus.
5. The rising popularity of "set piece" games like Uncharted.

1. Nintendo - I was happy to see Nintendo reach the top after 2 generations in last place but the quality of their releases this generation was laughably bad. For all the talk of innovation and new gaming capabilities, the Wii was full of casual garbage and regular garbage. Plus, their online play was awful. Although the DS is my 2nd favorite console this generation, I would still rank Nintendo the biggest disappoint of this gneeration because of how bad the Wii has been.

2. Xbox 360 hardware - The 360 has great games and is a great system. But it's the most unreliable console I've ever had (yes, including the NES). I had to get my original system repaired three times before MS broke the drive tray which wasn't covered under the warranty. Plus, the cost of their HDDs and wi-fi adapters was ludicrous. I'm glad they finally fixed everything with the S model, but damn, they took their sweet time.

3. Mass Effect 3's original ending - Spending over 90 hours over 3 games, I was expecting something more climactic than "door 1, door 2 or door 3?". And I was expecting to see an ending that was longer than 2 minutes. ME3 was a great game until the final part and the ending. The revised ending was "better" but the memories have already been ruined.

4. Sony's constant blunders - Sony what had mattered this generation: the games. The PS3 had the best exclusives this generation. The PS3 itself, is an awesome machine. But Sony just couldn't stop doing stupid shit: their initial arrogance, high hardware price, poor updating system, removing features and poor security.

5. DLC - It was a great concept, to be able to play new stories within games you love. Too bad it mostly turned into a money grab.

[quote name='Nico8912']My Xbox 360 breaking 6 times in the course of the first 5 years of it's life cycle.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I love my PS3. Not sure why anyone would buy a 360 given that it is total crap hardware.

[quote name='camoor']Yeah I love my PS3. Not sure why anyone would buy a 360 given that it is total crap hardware.[/QUOTE]

The original, sure, but at least they fixed them for free. I had a YLOD PS3 for the better part of a year until I decided to bite the $130 Sony bullet to fix their junk system.

Not a single issue with the Slim 360.

[quote name='buffdrew84']Not enough original IP's. Probably like this with every generation but I feel like everything that comes out is like the 7373726 iteration of call of duty[/QUOTE]

Little Big Planet
Uncharted
Heavy Rain
Dead Space
Heavenly Sword
WiiSports
Boom Blox
Zack & Wiki
De Blob
Epic Mickey
Mad World
Lost Winds
Little Kings Story
No More Heroes
Dead Rising
Gears of War
Left 4 Dead
Alan Wake
Condemned
Bioshock
Borderlands
Rock Band
Assassin's Creed
Mirror's Edge
Batman: Arkham series
Portal
Red Dead Redemption
Split/Second
Mass Effect
WiiWare: Cave Story, Bit Trip, World of Goo, etc.
PSN: Flower, Eden, Echochrome, Journey, the Last Guy, etc.
XBLA: Splosion Man, Shadow Complex, Walking Dead, Braid, Castle Crashers, Limbo, etc.

That's a lot of original IP to get through in one generation along with the sequels and rehashes.

[quote name='camoor']Yeah I love my PS3. Not sure why anyone would buy a 360 given that it is total crap hardware.[/QUOTE]

Just comes down to games. I have both, but use the 360 more as I like Halo and Gears of War etc. more than the PS3 exclusives (though there are some good ones, and I'm glad I eventually got a PS3). I also like the 360 controller a lot more, and have friends/family that game on 360 and none with PS3s, so anything I want to play online I get on 360 as I won't game with randoms.

I've had decent luck with hardware too compared to most. My original 360 died (RROD) just outside the 3 year warranty. But I've had my slim model for over 2 years with no problems at all. Only big gripe I had with MS was how they treated me when my Live account was hacked last fall. That pissed me off and, I actually traded in my 360 to get the PS3 last winter. But they eventually made it right and sent me a new console and some games for free. I still played the PS3 mainly for a few months out of spite, but have shifted back to 360 lately with Skyrim over the summer (PS3 version doesn't run as well) and Borderlands 2 since September (friends/family play on that platform).

[quote name='Corvin']The original, sure, but at least they fixed them for free. I had a YLOD PS3 for the better part of a year until I decided to bite the $130 Sony bullet to fix their junk system.

Not a single issue with the Slim 360.[/QUOTE]
Should be enough of a disappointment for all that we can actually have debates over whose hardware was shoddier. Between yellow lights, red rings, and cracked hinges, it wasn't a good generation for early adopters.

I don't know if I can say these are my biggest disappointments for this console generation, but they do come to mind as disappointments. I'm also including portables as a console.

Nintendo:
-3DS XL + DS Lite + Gameboy Advance SP = Stronger hinge/louder speakers for the 3DS XL and a GBA port to play all DS / Gameboy games and accessories.
I would probably pay $200 for a 3DS XL if it had a GBA port built-in.
-I am kind of surprised that Nintendo didn't release an official adapter that lets you use your NES/SNES/N64/Sega Genesis controllers to connect to your wiimote for the Virtual Console. The classic controller was great and all, but didn't have the old school feel.

Sony:
-External UMD drive for the Vita or the PSP Go. It wouldn't be portable, but it would be nice to have the option.
-External PS2 component to let you play PS2 games again on current models of the PS3.
-PSP 1000/2000/3000 no official bluetooth support so you could use your PS3 controller with A/V out. I know it would probably be bulky. I'm enjoying my PSP Go and a pair of bluetooth headphones.

Microsoft:
-Accessory prices for hard drives, steering wheels, and wireless network adapters. (I have an Elite 360 and refuse to pay so much for a wireless N adapter. I run a 100 ft ethernet cable just to make up for it.)
-Hardware problems (I have never experienced this, but have heard enough from so many. Hoping my system makes it to the next generation, if not I'm out. May just get a 4GB S model just for the exclusives and slap in my 120 GB drive in it.)
--System failures and unreliable rechargeable battery packs. I hope to find a lithium ion battery pack or continue to use rechargeable AA batteries.

Corvin....

I didn't say there weren't ANY original IP's but..... a lot of those you listed are just ok, lets be honest here.

but, agreed on Uncharted (which has sequels now, along with many of those you mentioned), walking dead and limbo!

[quote name='Playstation4LyFE']SOCOM 4 was a huge dissapointment.[/QUOTE]

Yes it was, so bad it killed off Zipper Interactive.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Just comes down to games. I have both, but use the 360 more as I like Halo and Gears of War etc. more than the PS3 exclusives (though there are some good ones, and I'm glad I eventually got a PS3). I also like the 360 controller a lot more, and have friends/family that game on 360 and none with PS3s, so anything I want to play online I get on 360 as I won't game with randoms.

I've had decent luck with hardware too compared to most. My original 360 died (RROD) just outside the 3 year warranty. But I've had my slim model for over 2 years with no problems at all. Only big gripe I had with MS was how they treated me when my Live account was hacked last fall. That pissed me off and, I actually traded in my 360 to get the PS3 last winter. But they eventually made it right and sent me a new console and some games for free. I still played the PS3 mainly for a few months out of spite, but have shifted back to 360 lately with Skyrim over the summer (PS3 version doesn't run as well) and Borderlands 2 since September (friends/family play on that platform).[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I always wanted to play Halo, Alan Wake, and the new Culdcept. But that's all I missed, and those titles alone are not enough for me to get an Xbox.

LOL @ the guy who called the PS3 a "junk system" in comparison to Xbox. Really dude, are you that divorced from reality?

My original Xbox 360 Pro worked for the 3 years that I had it with no problems (2008-2011). Maybe I was just one of the lucky ones. I sold it for a slim and the slim works just fine too.

As for the OP, my biggest disappointments for this console generation are:

1. GTA 4 - It was the reason I bought a Xbox 360 in 2008 and It wasn't as fun as the previous GTA's. The game mechanics felt off. It's still a good game, just not as great as I thought it'd be.

2. DLC - Way too much of it and most of it is overpriced.

3. Online Passes - I like buying used games from time to time, but forcing you to buy new just for a pass code is stupid.

4. Multiplayer - Not all multiplayer, just the multiplayer that's in games that shouldn't have it. (Assassin's Creed series, Dead Space 2, BioShock 2, etc.)

For what it's worth my first PS3 (2009 black friday bundle) YLOD on me after the first 30 minutes.

Exchanged it for a replacement PS3 which has been going strong for 3 years now.

In comparison, my winter 4 year old (2008) 360 and my newer slim 360 have never RROD on me once. No problems whatsoever with my 5+ year old Wii.

I can empathize with most posters here, especially with regard to the hardware reliability issues. In retrospect, I would have benefitted the most from purchasing a good PC and Wii, which would have saved me from the sub 30 and unstable fps, pay to play online and dismal exclusives that came with the HD twins.

I expect the next generation of consoles to be even more anti-consumer, unless consumers finally push back in a significant way.

This should come as no surprise but I think the PS3 is awesome. I have nitpicks like everyone else, and I would like more DLC specials, but I really think it is an awesome console.

We'll be lucky if the next gen of consoles is half as good as the PS3 was.

360 hardware failures has to be #1, with hardware failures in general coming up pretty close behind it.

In the XBox's case, it's unacceptable that it took as long as it did for them to get it under control - and the main reason I won't be buying their next thing until other people are the guinea pigs. On an overall games + user experience level, it was the best console of the generation. That said, they've gotten arrogant and sloppy in the past 2 years so I hope Sony or Nintendo knocks them on their ass and makes them work a little harder next time around. They definitely need to be humbled, just like MS & Nintendo did to Sony when they got arrogant and sloppy at the beginning of this generation.

Other stuff that bugged me, both major and minor - Season passes & DLC in general getting fucking stupid in the last few years, the Wii losing any and all appeal to me after having one for less than a year, XBL increasing in price by 10 bucks and then shitcanning 1 vs 100, Blu-Ray winning the format war, the 360 taking years to put an HDMI port on their consoles, advertisements on paid services like XBL, Activision accelerating the demise of rhythm games by pumping out a dozen music games a year, the 360 abandoning the Vision camera in favor of Kinect, and then Kinect sucking ass, Metallica doing a GH game instead of a Rock Band game, the XBox's custom soundtrack integration not being nearly as good as the XBox 1's, mediocre d-pad on the 360 controller when the rest of the thing was awesome, Burnout Paradise & Rock Band 3 not being incredibly huge successes when both were more than deserving, no MGS4 on the 360, Def Jam Rapstar shutting down their video upload/community servers and stopping DLC releases after like 6 months, Crackdown 2 being garbage compared to the excellent first game, & the free Burger King games being kind of crappy.

bread's done
Back