bill hicks anyone?

darkmere

CAGiversary!
just curious if anyone here enjoys bill hicks. a couple of friends first introduced me a few years back to the rant in e minor cd. i hadn't listened to him in a while until i recently downloaded some of his taped performances. he's become one of my new heroes. sad that he's been gone for nearly 12 years now. makes me wonder what he'd think of the ways the world has changed if he were alive today.

Hicks is a hero of mine.

"Then, after the show, these three rednecks came up to me. 'Hey buddy, we're Christians and we didn't like what you said.' I said, 'Then forgive me.' "

“You know we armed Iraq. I wondered about that too, you know during the Persian Gulf war those intelligence reports would come out: "Iraq: incredible weapons - incredible weapons." How do you know that? "Uh, well...we looked at the receipts."”

"I was in Nashville, Tennesee last year. After the show, I went to a waffle house. I'm not proud of it, I was hungry. And I'm eating, I'm alone and I'm reading a book, right? Waitress walks over to me: 'Hey, what you readin' for?' Is that like the weirdest fucking question you've ever heard? Not what am I reading, but what am I reading ... for. 'Well, God damn it, you stumped me. Why do I read? Hm ... I guess I read for a lot of reasons, and the main one is ... so I don't end up being a fucking waffle waitress.' But then, this trucker in the next booth gets up, stands over me and goes: 'Well, looks like we got ourselves a reader.' What the fuck's going on here? It's not like I walked into a clan rally in a Boy George outfit, God damn it. It's a book!"

Two of his finest.

I like Hicks but I dont understood the huge underground following he has. I think he's just OK.

I hear a lot of Bill Hicks on the Raw Dog station on Sirius... from what i've heard hes really funny. I'd actually like to see some of his stand-up.

[quote name='onetrackmind']I hear a lot of Bill Hicks on the Raw Dog station on Sirius... from what i've heard hes really funny. I'd actually like to see some of his stand-up.[/QUOTE]

Check out the documentary It's Just a Ride. It’s got a good blend of concert footage, behind the scenes Bill, and reminisces from his friends and others in the business.

[quote name='1modernboy']Check out the documentary It's Just a Ride. It’s got a good blend of concert footage, behind the scenes Bill, and reminisces from his friends and others in the business.[/QUOTE]

awesome, i'll check it out... thanks bro!

[quote name='Graystone']A friend got me hooked on his stuff I listen to it every now and then. Didn't he die in like 94 or 95.[/QUOTE]

Died in '94. I remember 'cause I was a high school senior at the time.

Yeah, I love him. He's great.

For people just trying to get into Hicks, I'd recommend getting the "Bill Hicks Live" DVD. From there, move on to his two best albums, "Rant in E-Minor" and "Relentless". If you're still clammoring for more Hicks after that, I'd recommend his other DVD, "Bill Hicks - Sane Man" and his last album, "Arizona Bay". If after all that you still need more, PM me and I'll throw out some suggestions.

As you can probably tell, I'm a big fan.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Yeah, I love him. He's great.

For people just trying to get into Hicks, I'd recommend getting the "Bill Hicks Live" DVD. From there, move on to his two best albums, "Rant in E-Minor" and "Relentless". If you're still clammoring for more Hicks after that, I'd recommend his other DVD, "Bill Hicks - Sane Man" and his last album, "Arizona Bay". If after all that you still need more, PM me and I'll throw out some suggestions.

As you can probably tell, I'm a big fan.[/QUOTE]

Bill Hicks hated Bill Macy I heard.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Bill Hicks hated Bill Macy I heard.[/QUOTE]
Oh really?

That's interesting, because during the peak and even the end of his career, I was still struggling to even get small parts in Hollywood. I'm surprised he even knew who I was, given that he was fairly opposed to the type of mainstream films and TV shows I was in. I guess, I guess everything he said was just part of the act, huh? He was just kidding around! He didn't mean any of it! Just jokin' with ya!

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Oh really?

That's interesting, because during the peak and even the end of his career, I was still struggling to even get small parts in Hollywood. I'm surprised he even knew who I was, given that he was fairly opposed to the type of mainstream films and TV shows I was in. I guess, I guess everything he said was just part of the act, huh? He was just kidding around! He didn't mean any of it! Just jokin' with ya![/QUOTE]

J.J. You're the greatest!

Bill Hicks can be funny, but comes off as a terrible, terrible person.

The type of person i don't feel bad about when they die.

[quote name='kakomu']Bill Hicks can be funny, but comes off as a terrible, terrible person.

The type of person i don't feel bad about when they die.[/QUOTE]

Well, go on...

i'd recommend the video of sane man...i love how he asks the audience what they do for a living and the only one he respects is the garbage man. everyone else tries to give there job a fancy title, so he calls himself an amusement technician.

the chicago loses it show (i believe someone posted a link above) is great to check out for how angry he gets at the heckler.

I once noticed in Best Buy that "Rant in E-Minor" was shelved in the classical music section. I think Hicks would have appreciated that, if only for its stupidity/absurdity.

These are some of my favorite quotes from him.

A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fucking cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.

The worst kind of non-smokers are the ones that come up to you and cough. That's pretty fucking cruel isn't it? Do you go up to cripples and dance too?

"By the way if anyone here is in advertising or marketing... kill yourself. No, no, no it's just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day, they'll take root - I don't know. You try, you do what you can. Kill yourself. Seriously though, if you are, do. Aaah, no really, there's no rationalisation for what you do and you are Satan's little helpers, Okay - kill yourself - seriously. You are the ruiner of all things good, seriously. No this is not a joke, you're going, "there's going to be a joke coming," there's no fucking joke coming. You are Satan's spawn filling the world with bile and garbage. You are fucked and you are fucking us. Kill yourself. It's the only way to save your fucking soul, kill yourself. Planting seeds. I know all the marketing people are going, "he's doing a joke... there's no joke here whatsoever. Suck a tail-pipe, fucking hang yourself, borrow a gun from a Yank friend - I don't care how you do it. Rid the world of your evil fucking machinations. I know what all the marketing people are thinking right now too, "Oh, you know what Bill's doing, he's going for that anti-marketing dollar. That's a good market, he's very smart." Oh man, I am not doing that. You fucking evil scumbags! "Ooh, you know what Bill's doing now, he's going for the righteous indignation dollar. That's a big dollar. A lot of people are feeling that indignation. We've done research - huge market. He's doing a good thing." Godammit, I'm not doing that, you scum-bags! Quit putting a godamm dollar sign on every fucking thing on this planet!

"Ooh, the anger dollar. Huge. Huge in times of recession. Giant market, Bill's very bright to do that." God, I'm just caught in a fucking web! "Ooh the trapped dollar, big dollar, huge dollar. Good market - look at our research. We see that many people feel trapped. If we play to that and then separate them into the trapped dollar..." How do you live like that? And I bet you sleep like fucking babies at night, don't you?"

if you take a look at the tool cd aenima there is a painting on the insert dedicated to bill hicks, apparently him and maynard james keenan (lead singer) were good friends.

my hicks is hilarious i love his bit on smoking

[quote name='kakomu']??[/QUOTE]

You think he's a "bad person," or something to that effect. I want to hear you explain why you think so.

bread's done
Back