Bionic Commando announced for 360/PS3/PC

evilmax17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6181070.html

Released in 1988, the original Bionic Commando introduced a novel grappling hook mechanic into a stagnating side-scrolling 2D platformer genre. While the Capcom-developed game was highly regarded (and even named as one of GameSpot's Greatest Games of All Time), the franchise has been dormant outside of a 1992 Game Boy version and a 1999 Game Boy Color pseudo-sequel.

That's about to change, as Capcom has revealed to GameSpot that it is developing a new Bionic Commando game for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC. Simply called Bionic Commando, the new game will bring back the original game's hook (pun intended), with players able to use the main character's bionic grappling arm not only to navigate levels but to take out enemies at close range, rappel down sheer surfaces, or toss objects (like cars) at enemies.

Where the original Bionic Commando followed players on a mission to rescue a fellow agent named Super Joe, the new game's storyline appears to carry a more cynical edge. After serving his country honorably in conflict with the Imperials, technologically enhanced agent Nathan Spencer is framed for a number of crimes by his superiors and sentenced for execution. Fate intervenes, as an experimental terrorist weapon is detonated in Ascension City on the day Spencer is to be executed. With the city in ruins and Spencer uniquely equipped to handle the many skyscrapers, monorails, and suspended roadways in ruins, the government reluctantly turns to Spencer for help.
To help the game live up to its pedigree, Capcom has made development of the game an international affair. An American producer, a Japanese creative advisor, and Stockholm, Sweden-based studio GRIN will be collaborating on the project. GRIN's most recent projects have included the PC conversions of Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and its sequel.

Developer Video Interview

It seems like it was a real uphill battle to get the green-light on this one. Great news, here's hoping it gets the justice it deserves.

b005693_screen.jpg

b004388_screen.jpg

This is one of my favorite NES games of ALL time!

In this new version you damn well better fight
HILTER!!!
at the end.

I've seriously been waiting for this since the original game! I was really psyched when I heard the rumors but I didn't get my hopes up. I just watched the video on gamespot and it seems they have the fans of the game in mind as well as being fans themselves. I really hope this is something special. I can't wait.

Ho ho shit. If it plays anything like the NES game, I will LOVE IT!!!

All that is left is a kick-ass remake of the KICK-ASS NES game "The Guardian Legend" and then my retro-gaming soul can rest.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Was this their "announcement?"

Either way, I never played the first one, so I have no sentamental feelings toward it.[/QUOTE]
I don't think this was there "announcement." I just got an email from them saying that this game was announced but they still said something "huge" is coming and they still have the countdown on there site for it.

Did anyone here even play the GBC Bionic Commando Bionic Commando: Elite Forces? It came out in 1999, so the series has not been dead since the original game.

[quote name='ananag112']Did anyone here even play the GBC Bionic Commando Bionic Commando: Elite Forces? It came out in 1999, so the series has not been dead since the original game.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely...it was a good game as well but not really a sequel.

[quote name='jkam']Absolutely...it was a good game as well but not really a sequel.[/QUOTE]

True. I loved it as well, though it was a tad short.

Also, my hype for this game is now zero seeing as how the developers behind Final Fight Streetwise are working on this.

[quote name='ananag112']
Also, my hype for this game is now zero seeing as how the developers behind Final Fight Streetwise are working on this.[/QUOTE]

Doh! I really hope they don't screw this up. :Crosses Fingers: Well time will tell.

[quote name='ananag112']True. I loved it as well, though it was a tad short.

Also, my hype for this game is now zero seeing as how the developers behind Final Fight Streetwise are working on this.[/QUOTE]

Why would Capcom even bother to keep those guys?

Well, I have zero interest in this game as well. I'll wait until reviews are out.

I was excited to see this last night on Gamespot. But after watching the interview and screenshots I have to say I am not liking the look of the game and have a bad feeling about how it will turn out. I hope I'm wrong...

[quote name='GizmoGC']I thought I played this last year it was just renamed "Lost Planet"? ;)[/QUOTE]
I just began playing it a couple weeks ago and those were my thoughts exactly. Minus the snow/monsters/robots, it very much has the feel of what a next gen Bionic Commando engine should be. Add more emphasis on the grappling and a helicopter drop between missions, you got yourself a stew going.

More screens here
http://kotaku.com/gaming/gallery/bionic-commando-artscreens-311236.php

Arm is a bit much but I will remain optimistic.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Either way, I never played the first one, so I have no sentamental feelings toward it.[/quote]Seriously one of the greatest games ever...

If Capcom can only do half of what Team Ninja did with Ninja Gaiden remake... this could be an off the chain game!

Words cannot properly describe how I feel now. Now all we need is some remake/update to Strider (hopefully better than any of it's sequels) and a couple of other older Capcom franchises.

A "Strider May Cry" should be easy enough to make! Just make all the bad guys into robots :lol:

The music from Bionic Commando is awesome! Youtube some videos or listen to remake of the POW Camp song from the Advantage.

[quote name='ananag112']Did anyone here even play the GBC Bionic Commando Bionic Commando: Elite Forces? It came out in 1999, so the series has not been dead since the original game.[/quote]

Best $5 I spent on a game, even though I got the standard glitch near the end. Trying to beat the last stage on only a single life? Always a blast! That and the stage was magnificent as well, forcing you to grapple like the good ol' NES days.

I also recall hearing good things about the original GB Bionic Commando, but I've never seen that around here for a cheap pick-up.

Am I the only one that thinks the game look uninspired and generic. Im just getting flash backs of final fight streetwise.

Please let me be wrong.

[quote name='Puffa469']This is one of my favorite NES games of ALL time!

In this new version you damn well better fight
HILTER!!!
at the end.[/QUOTE]

Hilter? :)

about fucking time. that game was the shit sad it took me a few years after its release to figure that out but man that was a hard game to figure out if you didnt have the instructions the whole chosing levels and why some levels didnt have anything happening in them but damn man once i got it in check man i love that game. they need to put it on the ds.

Trailer is available now. It was great seeing in action and even more amazing hearing the theme song redone. The arm is a bit much still and he needs a large gun of some sort (unless the arm is the gun) but it looks to be shaping up nicely. The best part was the end when he goes.. "..finally".

Right now its the top story of kotaku at the moment.

Direct link to trailer page

Damn could that trailer voice-over be any cheesier? The game looks cool, though. Loved hearing the new rendition of the theme song - it made me want to play the original again.

On the other hand, watching it reminded me of the trailers for the Spiderman games (disclosure: I've never played any of them). Hopefully this isn't just Spiderman with guns and machines. Maybe the concept isn't as unique as it was in the 80s...

bread's done
Back