BioShock for PS3: PS3 Exclusive DLC Relased $9.99

DD83

'nives 'n 'nades
Feedback
56 (100%)
So I guess it's confirmed now.
Link to CVG/PSM3 confirmation article.
Link (thanks KingBroly) to 1UP/EGM confirmation article. Since I seem to get EGM before many here, I'll be sure to post scans.

Reveal spoiler to see cover of PSM3.
screenshot_198076.jpg

05/29/08 - SCAN OF EGM ARTICLE
These are pretty high res images.
Basically all it says is that the PS3 version will "ship with the bonus Plasmid powers and gameplay options addressed in an update for the Xbox 360 version."
Though it does say "some PS3-specific additions are in the works", they don't say what, but hint that it will "extend and augment the game."
They also hint (at least I took it as such) that Bioshock 2 won't be a "delayed" release for the PS3 by saying "2K Marin is tasked with developing both the PS3 version of the original and the sequel" at least that tells us it won't be as outsourced of a port like Orange Box was.

06/04/08 - Thanks FriskyTanuki
Playstation.com blog post by 2K Marin executive producer, Alyssa Finley. New screenshots in link.

[quote name='"2K Marin executive producer, Alyssa Finley"']
But first things first - before we get into too many details, let me tell you about the fantastic team that’s working on the PS3 version of BioShock.

The project is based in the 2K Marin studio, which is located in Novato, CA. The 2K Marin team has been collaborating with the 2K teams in Australia and Boston to build the game with team members in each of the studios building, coding, optimizing, bugfixing, and polishing away. On top of that, because this is the first PS3 title from 2K Marin, 2K Australia and 2K Boston, we’ve also got another development partner with some outstanding PS3-specific coding chops helping out with the project - we can’t talk about what studio that is yet, but we look forward to revealing that in the future.

For today, we’ll give a brief “who’s who” for the three 2K studios that are working together on BioShock for the PS3.

2K Marin: We started the 2K Marin studio in November of 2007 with a group of eight people who migrated across the country (and in some cases, the world) in order to continue working on BioShock. The core 2K Marin group includes the Executive Producer (me!), our Creative Director, Jordan Thomas (designer of the Fort Frolic level), Lead Programmer Carlos Cuello, and Lead Artist Hogarth de la Plante. All the aforementioned folks worked on the original version of BioShock. We’ve also got some extremely talented programmers including Ray Graham (previous titles include Godfather, The Simpsons, NBA 2K, and NBA Street) Johnnemann Nordhagen (formerly from Sony’s R&D group), David Pittman (previously of Stormfront Studios), and Jake Etgeton (also from the original BioShock crew), who are currently hard at work making builds and squashing bugs.

2K Australia: During BioShock development, Australia was the home of the tech team - the guys who worked on the core engine and rendering features that brought to life the gorgeous visuals of Rapture. Five members of that team, Mathi Nagarajan, Ben Driehuis, Daniel Lamb, Weicheng Fang, and Tim Cooper are now working on the PS3 version, focused on rendering, graphics and optimization. Their goal is to make the game run amazingly well on the PS3, and they’ve been making tremendous progress so far on that front.

2K Boston: The Boston team is the largest chunk of the BioShock team at the moment; many of them hard at work on some of the as-yet-unannounced components of the PS3 version. I can mention the work of one Boston team member, Ian Bond, who has been optimizing and refactoring the physics simulation for the game to take the maximum advantage of the PS3 hardware.[/quote]

06/17/08 - New Rumors of PS3 additions - Thanks TMK
Here are rumors of additions:
Today we bring you exclusive inside info on Bioshock, one of the most anticipated PS3 games of 2008 and due to be released at the end of the year. As always with all our inside info, we remind you it’s still a rumor until its official. So without further or do, here are the the exclusive details we have for you…

* New opening video around 6 minutes long on how life was like before Rapture went bad. Original video starts after this one ends.
* Trophies of course will be in the game
* Exclusive new level, with 2 new enemies, thought to be the ‘zoo’ level that was excluded from the original 360 edition due to running out of time
* Some levels may have been tweaked from the 360 version
* All downloadable content after the release will be free
* The game will take advantage of the SIXAXIS motion sensing technology
* Slightly better Graphics, less pop-up and loading times decreased thanks to hard drive install

07/15/08 - PS3 Gameplay Video - Thanks FriskyTanuki

07/28/08
- PS3 Bioshock Pre-order available at Amazon.com - Thanks rick3000gto

08/06/08 - BioShock Survivor Mode Hands-On - Thanks FriskyTanuki
Immediately accessible from the main menu without having to be unlocked, Survivor mode is the fourth difficulty mode that is exclusive to the PS3 version of the game. Whereas the other difficulty modes have somewhat basic explanations, such as "newcomer " or "experienced with shooters," Survivor has a simple three word description: "Every bullet counts." That isn't because the designers threw in more splicers that you're going to have to fight or increased the Big Daddies or Little Sisters that you're facing -- instead, the designers cranked down the number of resources that will be available to you. We spoke to JP Lebreton, a level designer for the game, and he mentioned that Survivor mode is designed to be much more of a sink or swim experience for players that want to be challenged. For example, in previous difficulty levels, you could pick up a pistol and you received a large number of rounds. In Survivor mode, you'll find the fewest rounds possible. This means you'll frequently only receive one bullet in a gun you scavenge from one fallen splicer, which forces you to conserve your ammunition.

09/13/08 - Demo coming 10/02/08 - Thanks FriskyTanuki and rick3000gto

10/16/08 - The PS3 version of Bioshock contains a Teaser Trailer for Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams - Thanks eswat

10/17/08 - PS3 Bioshock DLC Coming 11/20 - Thanks FriskyTanuki
Even as the PS3 version of Bioshock lumbers center stage. 2K games has announced a release date for the first exclusive PS3 DLC. This comes in the form of Challenge Rooms - areas designed to test specific skills that the player will have learned as they explorer Rapture. The self-contained areas feature puzzles and difficult obstacles that can only be overcome in a set time limit by applying your hard-won skills.
The DLC will be available via PSN on November 20th, although no pricing has yet been released.

10/22/08 - Trophies for Bioshock DLC Revealed - Thanks FriskyTanuki
  • "The 'I' in Team" - Rescuer
    Rescued the Little Sister in "The 'I' in Team"
  • "The 'I' in Team" – Expert
    Rescued the Little Sister in "The 'I' in Team" in under 3:00
  • "The 'I' in Team" – Collector
    Found all collectible Roses in "The 'I' in Team"
  • "The 'I' in Team" – Pacifist
    Rescued the Little Sister in "The 'I' in Team" without destroying any Machine Gun Turrets
  • "A Shocking Turn of Events" - Rescuer
    Rescued the Little Sister in "A Shocking Turn of Events"
  • "A Shocking Turn of Events" – Expert
    The player has rescued the Little Sister in "A Shocking Turn of Events" in under 4:00
  • "A Shocking Turn of Events" – Collector
    Found all collectable Roses in "A Shocking Turn of Events"
  • "A Shocking Turn of Events" – Master Electrician
    Charged up the Ferris Wheel 9 different times in "A Shocking Turn of Events"
  • "Worlds of Hurt" - Rescuer
    Rescued the Little Sister in "Worlds of Hurt"
  • "Worlds of Hurt" – Expert
    Rescued the Little Sister in "Worlds of Hurt" in under 15:00, on Medium or higher difficulty
  • "Worlds of Hurt" – Collector
    Found all collectible Roses in "Worlds of Hurt"
  • Silver: "World of Hurt" - Tough Guy
    Rescued the Little Sister in "World of Hurt" using only plasmids, tonics, the wrench, and the research camera, on Medium or higher difficulty.

12/07/08 - PS3 Exclusive DLC Released for $9.99
Late than Never?
Yeah, I know it's been out for half a month now... but here are the details.
New Game Plus allows you to start a new supercharged playthrough of BioShock. Ready for this? You begin the game with any weapons, abilities, and inventory that you collected during a previous playthrough. Always wish you could obliterate Dr. Steinman with your uber grenade launcher? Now you can!

Challenge Rooms are another beast altogether. These are puzzle rooms where the objective is to rescue a Little Sister. Sounds easy enough, right? Dead wrong! Whether it’s fighting a Big Daddy without any weapons or surviving room after room of Splicers, Challenge Rooms require equal amounts brain and brawn in order to succeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's surprising considering they were constantly saying it wouldn't appear on the PS3. It's a good game, I'm gonna have to pick it back up sometime.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Wow, that's surprising considering they were constantly saying it wouldn't appear on the PS3. It's a good game, I'm gonna have to pick it back up sometime.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm pretty sure they never actually said it wouldn't appear on the PS3 ... they just said it wasn't appearing there, which, in this industry, meant it eventually would. Those PR flaks love them some semantics. Bioshock is pretty much the worst kept secret 360-to-PS3 transition since Lost Planet. So this is good news if you only have a PS3 -- Bioshock is an awesome game. I'm skeptical about "better" -- marginal graphical improvements for a game coming out a year after the original are kind of a given, but really only relevant to fanboys and the publications that cater to them -- but good news nonetheless. Now Take Two has a whole new group of Bioshock fans to disappoint with the sequel.

All right! This was one of the remaining things I was bummed about with the PS3.

Personally I couldn't care less about Gears of War and I'm meh on Halo.

I'm glad that this game is coming out for PS3. I already bought it for my 360, but I never really got into it... most likely I'll sell my 360 version and buy this one instead when its cheap. The only thing that I don't like about the situation of former 360 exclusives coming to PS3 is that, you get the part 1 of the game, and then when the sequel comes out, its exclusive to 360 again.

Like I wanted to get NG Sigma, and I probably will, but what's the point if Ninja gaiden II doesn't come out on PS3.

I so glad to see this coming out for PS3! It was one the only on 360 games I really wished was on PS3. Hopefully it won't take too long to be released.

I wonder if this was there plan all along, of if the recent takeover bid by ea fueled them to appease stockholders as they try to pimp there franchise to another system

[quote name='trq']Actually, I'm pretty sure they never actually said it wouldn't appear on the PS3 ... they just said it wasn't appearing there, which, in this industry, meant it eventually would. Those PR flaks love them some semantics. Bioshock is pretty much the worst kept secret 360-to-PS3 transition since Lost Planet. So this is good news if you only have a PS3 -- Bioshock is an awesome game. I'm skeptical about "better" -- marginal graphical improvements for a game coming out a year after the original are kind of a given, but really only relevant to fanboys and the publications that cater to them -- but good news nonetheless. Now Take Two has a whole new group of Bioshock fans to disappoint with the sequel.[/QUOTE]

My guess is Timed Exclusive like Mass Effect. Kinda like the whole Haze thing thats also suposedly a timed exclusive

Well, the future Mass Effect games, at any rate. The first one is published by MS, so that won't see the light of day on That Triple.

EDIT: Also, this is nice for PS3 owners, but it's too little too late IMO. A great game, but it won't draw people to the console. *Especially* if it launches at $60 this fall, when the 360 version is universally $40 new now (and may hit $30 by then). Also, no additions is crap. "Graphical improvements" in this gen mean squat IMO - are there really any games that look universally more amazing on the 360 vs PS3 (and vice versa)?

Besides, Bioshock was a stunning game visually already; any improvements will be so marginal so as to not be noticed. Don't waste your time, 2K.

Lastly, the best thing they could do to this game is add a real final boss. The current one sucks.

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, the future Mass Effect games, at any rate. The first one is published by MS, so that won't see the light of day on That Triple.

EDIT: Also, this is nice for PS3 owners, but it's too little too late IMO. A great game, but it won't draw people to the console. *Especially* if it launches at $60 this fall, when the 360 version is universally $40 new now (and may hit $30 by then). Also, no additions is crap. "Graphical improvements" in this gen mean squat IMO - are there really any games that look universally more amazing on the 360 vs PS3 (and vice versa)?

Besides, Bioshock was a stunning game visually already; any improvements will be so marginal so as to not be noticed. Don't waste your time, 2K.

Lastly, the best thing they could do to this game is add a real final boss. The current one sucks.[/QUOTE]

Not True look at Vampire Rain it was published by MS

Also look at Virtua Fighter 5 it launched on PS3 and then went to 360 they added things like Online. They could do that with Bioshock. And Yes Oblivion looks more amazing on Ps3 then 360 IMO.

[quote name='Thomas96']I'm glad that this game is coming out for PS3. I already bought it for my 360, but I never really got into it... most likely I'll sell my 360 version and buy this one instead when its cheap. The only thing that I don't like about the situation of former 360 exclusives coming to PS3 is that, you get the part 1 of the game, and then when the sequel comes out, its exclusive to 360 again.

Like I wanted to get NG Sigma, and I probably will, but what's the point if Ninja gaiden II doesn't come out on PS3.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but why in God's name would you do that? You have the game. There's no extra content (except, perhaps the already free DLC). You're paying an extra $60 (minus what you get for unloading the 360 version) just so you can play it on the PS3. You're letting your system loyalty override your common sense.

[quote name='dopehat']Not True look at Vampire Rain it was published by MS

Also look at Virtua Fighter 5 it launched on PS3 and then went to 360 they added things like Online. They could do that with Bioshock. And Yes Oblivion looks more amazing on Ps3 then 360 IMO.[/QUOTE]

BioWare has also never ported any of their games to another console, and they've made pretty big promises about playing the whole trilogy this generation, so I'm not sure they'd take the time from that tight schedule to handle a port. I'm far less confident Mass Effect will go multi-console than I was about BioShock.

Anyway, "could" and "are going to" are worlds apart. The original BioShock team isn't even doing the port, so the odds that there's going to be any extra content are somewhere between "slim" and "none." Really, why get hopeful that there's some kind of improvement or exclusive, any improvement or exclusive, unless you're just trying to count coup? PS3 owners get to play an excellent game that they otherwise wouldn't. That should be enough. And you have low standards for "amazing" graphical differences if you're going to use Oblivion as your example, dude.

[quote name='trq']I'm sorry, but why in God's name would you do that? You have the game. There's no extra content (except, perhaps the already free DLC). You're paying an extra $60 (minus what you get for unloading the 360 version) just so you can play it on the PS3. You're letting your system loyalty override your common sense.

BioWare has also never ported any of their games to another console, and they've made pretty big promises about playing the whole trilogy this generation, so I'm not sure they'd take the time from that tight schedule to handle a port. I'm far less confident Mass Effect will go multi-console than I was about BioShock.

Anyway, "could" and "are going to" are worlds apart. The original BioShock team isn't even doing the port, so the odds that there's going to be any extra content are somewhere between "slim" and "none." Really, why get hopeful that there's some kind of improvement or exclusive, any improvement or exclusive, unless you're just trying to count coup? PS3 owners get to play an excellent game that they otherwise wouldn't. That should be enough. And you have low standards for "amazing" graphical differences if you're going to use Oblivion as your example, dude.[/QUOTE]

Time will tell

[quote name='knightsdwn']Just don't let EA touch the porting duties and I'm in for one![/quote]

Heh. My thoughts exactly.

The only thing that I don't like about the situation of former 360 exclusives coming to PS3 is that, you get the part 1 of the game, and then when the sequel comes out, its exclusive to 360 again.
I think that depend on how many people buy the ps3 version. If more people buy the ps3 version, or even as many, the next time would likely be a simul-release.

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I think that depend on how many people buy the ps3 version. If more people buy the ps3 version, or even as many, the next time would likely be a simul-release.

~S[/quote]

In terms of Ninja Gaiden 2, MS is bankrolling it so slim chance there, but not impossible.

im gunna get it, i played it on 360 at a friends, bastard made me go agaisnt the final boss, but yeah its a great game, i dont see how games get "butchered" when they get ported i mean juts learn the controls and thats it, right?

I would double dip if there was any additional content from the 360 version.

"Graphical improvements" alone definitely wont sell me a second copy.

There is additional content from the 360 i read on the 360fanboy site. Im pretty excited over this game being on ps3, i hope it sells well, and its business you know since they are pretty much going to release the 2nd one on the ps3 as well.

[quote name='dopehat']Not True look at Vampire Rain it was published by MS

Also look at Virtua Fighter 5 it launched on PS3 and then went to 360 they added things like Online. They could do that with Bioshock. And Yes Oblivion looks more amazing on Ps3 then 360 IMO.[/QUOTE]

Ms is only the US publisher. AQ interactive is the japanese publisher and can port it to other system.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-08']There is additional content from the 360 i read on the 360fanboy site.[/quote]

The additional content is four more plasmids

oh i see lol, now im just waiting for the MGS4 on 360 confirmation or something lol, but in all seriousness its great to see a game i like that was is on a system im no too fond of coming to the ps3.

[quote name='trq']I'm sorry, but why in God's name would you do that? You have the game. There's no extra content (except, perhaps the already free DLC). You're paying an extra $60 (minus what you get for unloading the 360 version) just so you can play it on the PS3. You're letting your system loyalty override your common sense.

[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely not going to pay 60 dollars to rebuy a game I already owned and (will soon sell). Its not really my system loyalty that's dicating my decisions. The truth is, I don't have much time to play games on both consoles like I used to, so I'm using most of my gaming time on PS3. But even as I try to justify my decision, you're partially right, my system loyalty has been factored in on my decision. Truth is, I want to try to keep all my games on one system only - right now its PS3. But part of the situation goes back to my experience w/ the xbox, after the system is no longer in its prime, I don't bother to play the games that I bought for it. There's a lot of xbox games that if I would have bought the PS2 version of them I'd probably give them some more play time. The only games I play now are mostly PS2 and PS3. SInce I moved into my new home, I put the 360 back in the box and left it up in my closet. [I'll prabably buy gears of war 2 though! ] The main thing is that since I bought the 360 version of Bioshock I didn't get into that much, [the game is good imo] which is primarily due to it being on the 360.

honestly, I only expect to spend about 30 dollars for this game. So trust me I know I'm double dipping but its not at full price. Hell the only reason why I bought it on the 360 was due to CC having the game for 49 dollars.

[quote name='Thomas96']I'm definitely not going to pay 60 dollars to rebuy a game I already owned and (will soon sell). Its not really my system loyalty that's dicating my decisions. The truth is, I don't have much time to play games on both consoles like I used to, so I'm using most of my gaming time on PS3. But even as I try to justify my decision, you're partially right, my system loyalty has been factored in on my decision. Truth is, I want to try to keep all my games on one system only - right now its PS3. But part of the situation goes back to my experience w/ the xbox, after the system is no longer in its prime, I don't bother to play the games that I bought for it. There's a lot of xbox games that if I would have bought the PS2 version of them I'd probably give them some more play time. The only games I play now are mostly PS2 and PS3. SInce I moved into my new home, I put the 360 back in the box and left it up in my closet. [I'll prabably buy gears of war 2 though! ] The main thing is that since I bought the 360 version of Bioshock I didn't get into that much, [the game is good imo] which is primarily due to it being on the 360.

honestly, I only expect to spend about 30 dollars for this game. So trust me I know I'm double dipping but its not at full price. Hell the only reason why I bought it on the 360 was due to CC having the game for 49 dollars.[/quote]

You're still not making a bit of sense. So, it's more work bringing the 360 down and hooking it up than selling your old copy of Bioshock and buying a new one for ps3? YOU ALREADY HAVE THE GAME!!!!! If you didn't love it enough to play it on 360, you will not bother finishing it on PS3. I have it for PC, and will probably never finish it (I got to a part where you had to fetch a bunch of vials of water. Fetch quest = bullshit). I tried this same plan with Oblivion, and I played about as much on PS3 as I did on PC.

What you're trying to rationalize up there is completely fanboyish behavior. Just admit it.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-08']im gunna get it, i played it on 360 at a friends, bastard made me go agaisnt the final boss, but yeah its a great game, i dont see how games get "butchered" when they get ported i mean juts learn the controls and thats it, right?[/quote]

No. Sometimes companies screw up porting games. The Orange Box on the PS3 was, from what I hear, a total hack job by EA. This is one I can remember. I might double dip if they do a collectors edition for the PS3 similar to the 360 version. I missed out on that. :(

Also:

welcum to 2007 pee ess tree lolz

Just kidding. This is great news. Hopefully the port won't be a rushed hack job.

I only hope that it runs at a constant 60fps, like the 360 version, (but without the graphical tearing).

And some extra plasmids or levels would kick ass too.

[quote name='dopehat']My guess is Timed Exclusive like Mass Effect. Kinda like the whole Haze thing thats also suposedly a timed exclusive[/quote]
As far as I'm concerned, they can keep Haze exclusively for the PS3. I knew that game would bomb. My nephew kept saying how he couldn't wait to see Haze and I told him that the game didn't move me, and I had a very strong hunch that it would be garbage. And that is something that I am not happy about, considering that Ubisoft is one of my favorite developers. But my hunch was right and confirmed when I saw the mediocre review X-Play gave it and other publications.

[quote name='orko60']You're still not making a bit of sense. So, it's more work bringing the 360 down and hooking it up than selling your old copy of Bioshock and buying a new one for ps3? YOU ALREADY HAVE THE GAME!!!!! If you didn't love it enough to play it on 360, you will not bother finishing it on PS3. I have it for PC, and will probably never finish it (I got to a part where you had to fetch a bunch of vials of water. Fetch quest = bullshit). I tried this same plan with Oblivion, and I played about as much on PS3 as I did on PC.

What you're trying to rationalize up there is completely fanboyish behavior. Just admit it.[/QUOTE]

lol

you may be right, I have to admit I've been arguing for the underdog PS3 for so long that I've neglected my 360. But since I've contructed my gameroom I dont' have my router in my gameroom and thus I can't use my 360 online unless its wireless, I'm not going to go out and by a wifi adapter for the 360. Plus now the distance between where I'm sitting and the 360 has grown and thus I need wireless controllers and I'm not going to buy any wireless 360 controllers. I guess in fact its saving me money just to play the game on the PS3 because my set up is more accomodating.

Why not just sell your whole 360 system then? You're not going to get much for a used copy of Bioshock (relatively low replay value = lots of used copies on the market) but you could get something for your 360 which it sounds like you're just not interested in playing.

[quote name='Thomas96']lol

you may be right, I have to admit I've been arguing for the underdog PS3 for so long that I've neglected my 360. But since I've contructed my gameroom I dont' have my router in my gameroom and thus I can't use my 360 online unless its wireless, I'm not going to go out and by a wifi adapter for the 360. Plus now the distance between where I'm sitting and the 360 has grown and thus I need wireless controllers and I'm not going to buy any wireless 360 controllers. I guess in fact its saving me money just to play the game on the PS3 because my set up is more accomodating.[/quote]

[quote name='dfo']Why not just sell your whole 360 system then? You're not going to get much for a used copy of Bioshock (relatively low replay value = lots of used copies on the market) but you could get something for your 360 which it sounds like you're just not interested in playing.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to get rid of the system, cause althought I'm not going to be using it that much, I can't say that I'm 'never' going to use it. I may end up getting Gears 2. who knows.

I remembered seeing PS3 specific mentions in the data files when I had this on my PC, so I think it was already being built for it in the first place.

I *LOVED* this game when I played it, but I immediately sold it after I beat it. I'm not a fan at all of respawning enemies and the ending was weak given the strong story throughout.

[quote name='dfo']Why not just sell your whole 360 system then? You're not going to get much for a used copy of Bioshock (relatively low replay value = lots of used copies on the market) but you could get something for your 360 which it sounds like you're just not interested in playing.[/quote]

The Dude abides! Listen to him. All you need is a triple!

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, the future Mass Effect games, at any rate. The first one is published by MS, so that won't see the light of day on That Triple.[/quote]
The PC version's being published by EA, so never say never.

[quote name='Kendal']No. Sometimes companies screw up porting games. The Orange Box on the PS3 was, from what I hear, a total hack job by EA. This is one I can remember. I might double dip if they do a collectors edition for the PS3 similar to the 360 version. I missed out on that. :([/quote]
That's more Valve's fault for disregarding the PS3 and its audience as not worth its time, which they're doing the same thing for Left 4 Dead (spelling?). Those games are doomed at that point. They've even mentioned that the upcoming 360 DLC for The Orange Box will probably never see the light of day on PS3, which is a shame for those downtrodden gamers.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The PC version's being published by EA, so never say never.[/quote]

I'd rather not have it if EA were doing the port, considering the hack job they did for the Orange Box.

I'd rather buy it cheap on the 360 at this point...

But with Resistance 2 and LBP coming out this Fall as well, I doubt I will find time for this game as well.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The PC version's being published by EA, so never say never.

That's more Valve's fault for disregarding the PS3 and its audience as not worth its time, which they're doing the same thing for Left 4 Dead (spelling?). Those games are doomed at that point. They've even mentioned that the upcoming 360 DLC for The Orange Box will probably never see the light of day on PS3, which is a shame for those downtrodden gamers.[/quote]

This is why i hate Valve, i mean dont get me wrong half life is cool and everything, but i dont see why they have to treat the ps3 like crap. Talk about being douches valve..I seriously hope other companies wont do this to gamers cause if theres one thing i learned in life, Gamers are the most hardcore audience ever; they will make you hear them till your ears bleed if they see you mess up.

Actually, there's significant differences between the PS3 and PC architecture, much more so than PC to 360. Then on top of that MS has released a whole SDK to make it easier for PC developers to transition from PC to 360 development. This is the reason why you see a lot of PC developers releasing 360 versions of their games.

Sony hasn't done the same, in fact, up until recently they haven't been doing a good job of just courting developers and supporting them properly. If they want to gain back some of those PC developers, they should do a better job of easing PC developers into the drastically different architecture of the PS3. The insomniac Nocturne initiative is a step in the right direction (since they basically released their PS3 optimized engine whole to other developers) but that's not the same as a well made SDK designed and documented to help PC developers make the switch.

Valve is a pretty snooty company though, even though they do put out some really good games. But, snooty or not, they do have a valid argument about the architecture of the PS3 being a bit unfriendly to outside developers. From what I can tell, the architecture of the PS3 means a lot more work optimizing from the programmers, as they have to break up large instructions that would go fine in a normal CPU into smaller instructions through the faster, but much more limited SPUs. Whereas the 360 and PC architecture is simpler to work with since the CPUs can run a wider variety of instructions.

This difference can be eased with a good set of developer tools to help programmers break up instructions that would normally go straight to the CPUs, into smaller instructions that go to the SPUs.

You could say, though, that the PC and 360 architecture allows for more sloppier code to run fine, whereas the Cell architecture practically requires you to learn, understand, and program for it to get the best performance.

Sony has always lagged behind in the software and OS department since they're hardware manufacturers. This is really no excuse because it's their own fault they rested on their laurels with the success of the PS2. Instead of experimenting and preparing the software, SDK, tools, and developer support for the PS3 they launched without it, which is what caused the mass developer exodus to the 360. Thankfully the hardware advantage, and Sony's own popular 1st party developers and properties have kept them in the game long enough to get an install base worth developing for despite the difficulty learning curve. Now Sony is playing catch up, as we'll see with the 2.4 trophy update, the 2.5 in-game XMB update, and more stuff behind the scenes aimed at helping developers.

[quote name='mguiddy']Basically all it says is that the PS3 version will "ship with the bonus Plasmid powers and gameplay options addressed in an update for the Xbox 360 version."
Though it does say "some PS3-specific additions are in the works", they don't say what, but hint that it will "extend and augment the game."
They also hint (at least I took it as such) that Bioshock 2 won't be a "delayed" release for the PS3 by saying "2K Marin is tasked with developing both the PS3 version of the original and the sequel" at least that tells us it won't be an outsourced port like Valve did with Orange Box.[/quote]

That they use "possible feature" rather than "content" for what may or may not extend the lifespan of the game on the PS3 makes me think it isn't going to be a prologue chapter or plasmids or anything, but something like an arcade-style scoring system and online leader boards -- something that creates a reason to replay the game without them having to develop new assets.

Also, just to be down on Bioshock 2 across the board, the fact that 2K Marin is in charge rather than 2K Boston more or less *is* like them outsourcing the port/sequel.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/03/meet-the-teams-bringing-bioshock-to-ps3-plus-new-screens/

But first things first - before we get into too many details, let me tell you about the fantastic team that’s working on the PS3 version of BioShock.

The project is based in the 2K Marin studio, which is located in Novato, CA. The 2K Marin team has been collaborating with the 2K teams in Australia and Boston to build the game with team members in each of the studios building, coding, optimizing, bugfixing, and polishing away. On top of that, because this is the first PS3 title from 2K Marin, 2K Australia and 2K Boston, we’ve also got another development partner with some outstanding PS3-specific coding chops helping out with the project - we can’t talk about what studio that is yet, but we look forward to revealing that in the future.

For today, we’ll give a brief “who’s who” for the three 2K studios that are working together on BioShock for the PS3.

2K Marin: We started the 2K Marin studio in November of 2007 with a group of eight people who migrated across the country (and in some cases, the world) in order to continue working on BioShock. The core 2K Marin group includes the Executive Producer (me!), our Creative Director, Jordan Thomas (designer of the Fort Frolic level), Lead Programmer Carlos Cuello, and Lead Artist Hogarth de la Plante. All the aforementioned folks worked on the original version of BioShock. We’ve also got some extremely talented programmers including Ray Graham (previous titles include Godfather, The Simpsons, NBA 2K, and NBA Street) Johnnemann Nordhagen (formerly from Sony’s R&D group), David Pittman (previously of Stormfront Studios), and Jake Etgeton (also from the original BioShock crew), who are currently hard at work making builds and squashing bugs.

2K Australia: During BioShock development, Australia was the home of the tech team - the guys who worked on the core engine and rendering features that brought to life the gorgeous visuals of Rapture. Five members of that team, Mathi Nagarajan, Ben Driehuis, Daniel Lamb, Weicheng Fang, and Tim Cooper are now working on the PS3 version, focused on rendering, graphics and optimization. Their goal is to make the game run amazingly well on the PS3, and they’ve been making tremendous progress so far on that front.

2K Boston: The Boston team is the largest chunk of the BioShock team at the moment; many of them hard at work on some of the as-yet-unannounced components of the PS3 version. I can mention the work of one Boston team member, Ian Bond, who has been optimizing and refactoring the physics simulation for the game to take the maximum advantage of the PS3 hardware.

The Executive Producer for the game made a post on the Sony Blog about who's working on the game.

[quote name='trq'] Also, just to be down on Bioshock 2 across the board, the fact that 2K Marin is in charge rather than 2K Boston more or less *is* like them outsourcing the port/sequel.[/quote]

What's the difference? It's the same studio at least, so we probably won't get a hatchet job like the Orange Box.

My *hope* is that with 2K (whichever studio is developing it) there will at least be some oversight into the project as far as quality control.

Meh, who cares! I finished the game months ago and sold it for good coin...

Edit: even if this game has new levels or weapons, I still wouldn't buy it again. This game has zero replay value

[quote name='oasisboy']Meh, who cares! I finished the game months ago and sold it for good coin...

Edit: even if this game has new levels or weapons, I still wouldn't buy it again. This game has zero replay value[/quote]

What about going through once saving all the girls and another time harvesting them? Seems like there's at least one replay.

bread's done
Back