BIOSHOCK - Gen. Discussion & Info

excellent game...
just finished it and i rescued all the little sisters so i got the "good ending" =D

only complaint that it was way too easy, but other than that, it was really fun and had a wonderful story.

9.7/10

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Question about an area in Fort Frolic after going through the Frozen Tunnel:

After that area where you kill Martin Finnegan and in that large room with the double stairs, on the far end are stairs that lead down with a sign that says "More Items Downstairs". Is there a switch I have to hit to open it, 'cause right now there's gratings that cover it and I can't head down to check it out.
[/quote]

Yes.
Theres a switch at a bar in the same level. The bar has a bunch a ballerina figure people, and the button will be on the back of the bar stand thing. Hope that helps

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']When you download the new plasmids, do you instantly get them or do they have to be bought?[/quote]

Bought. Something along the lines of "Available at a Gatherer's Garden near you!"

[quote name='pittpizza']So tell me what you guys think of the new DLC, what about the new plasmid, worth a slot, do you use it?[/quote]

I use the Vending Expert (or whatever it is) to lower the prices of vending machines, but I was a bit disappointed by Sonic Boom...not worth a slot, in my opinion. Also, it could just be me, but I think the bodies actually twitch MORE now; and if a Splicer dies from electrocution, they tend to stay lit up like a Christmas tree. I didn't remember seeing that during my first playthrough.

I stopped playing it for a while and just picked it back up again a few days ago, so I don't know if it's the patch that's caused this or if this is an old problem:

Sometimes when I get a diary and play it, the previous one will play directly after it. A few times, the subtitles when I trigger the Alarm Bots would stay on screen as well. And I can't seem to notice the difference with the 16:9 aspect fix.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I stopped playing it for a while and just picked it back up again a few days ago, so I don't know if it's the patch that's caused this or if this is an old problem:

Sometimes when I get a diary and play it, the previous one will play directly after it. A few times, the subtitles when I trigger the Alarm Bots would stay on screen as well. And I can't seem to notice the difference with the 16:9 aspect fix.[/QUOTE]

Issue that was there previous to the patch.

The two dairy messages playing at once, that may be user error. This happened to me a few times until I noticed that it was because I pressed and held A twice, so both of the last diaries played.

I think, IIRC, occasionally two would play but this may be the game trying to piece the story together for you chronologically. At least I thought so, so I just ended up listening to the diary entry again. The story was so good IMO anyway that I didnt mind. The voice acting was superb.

I know for a fact that there are plenty of Houdini Splicers in the place where you first encounter them: I believe it was in Arcadia.

As to Bouncer BD's, you can find them in the Med. Pavillion for sure. Probably in other places as well.

I have a sneaking suspicion I missed a few Power to the People stations. I've fully upgraded 5 weapons with only the chemical thrower left, but I'm on Point Prometheus already. I can't imagine there's 3 stations left in the game.

i did like that the new plasmids only cost 1 adam each, only rented the game though, and didn't have the time to go back through and get the brass balls achievement.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I have a sneaking suspicion I missed a few Power to the People stations. I've fully upgraded 5 weapons with only the chemical thrower left, but I'm on Point Prometheus already. I can't imagine there's 3 stations left in the game.[/quote]
did you goto sander cohen's apartment or did you kill him before that?

[quote name='triforcer']
did you goto sander cohen's apartment or did you kill him before that?
[/quote]
Yes, I did. The room with the dancing splicers right? There was a station in his bedroom upstairs.
Is there a good guide somewhere that has a 2d map complete with pictures of the locations so I can try and recall whether I've been to them before?

Yeah you should definitely make a save before the end. Lets just say that it can save you ALOT of work if you're interested in going back for diaries, tonics, etc...

[quote name='pittpizza']Yeah you should definitely make a save before the end. Lets just say that it can save you ALOT of work if you're interested in going back for diaries, tonics, etc...[/QUOTE]

Having a lot of saves also allowed me to get the Irony achievement pretty easily.

Taking a picture of Cohen after you kill him

Yeah I've always appreciated being able to save whenever you want in videogames. It should be a feature in every vid game IMO instead of only utilizing checkpoint and autosaves.

ooh shit, did i fuck up in that level by killing the big daddies and saving the sisters first before finding all the parts for the big daddy suit? I have saved 2 out of 3 sisters, found 2 parts for the suit including the voice box.

[quote name='pittpizza']No ITDEFX, you're fine. Just keep gettin those big daddy parts. I liked it when i got the shoes.[/QUOTE]

phew...

I was thinking wait a minute if I save the sisters then the pherimone thingy won't work because there are no more sisters around ... god damn it how many sisters are in this game?!?!?

I am starting to go crazy going around in circles in that level.

Finished BioShock a few days ago, enjoyed the whole game and got most of the achievements in one playthrough on Normal. Just have to go through on Hard sometime, Normal wasn't too much of a challenge for me other than the first few Big Daddies. I'll also need to find all of the audio diaries since I missed one or two in the first section that you can't go back to.

Didn't really get to mess around with the new DLC stuff so I'll probably try and use them on my next playthrough.

[quote name='pittpizza']Yeah I've always appreciated being able to save whenever you want in videogames. It should be a feature in every vid game IMO instead of only utilizing checkpoint and autosaves.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. I love CoD4, but the check points drive me nuts sometimes when you have to replay a couple of fire fights as you keep dying at another one right before the next checkpoint.

It only took me 4 months, but I finally beat the game today. Very poignant ending cinema, albeit a bit brief.

Missed out on the Historian and Research PhD achievements as the big ones, though. Damn. I guess I'll have to play all the way through the Research PhD since I'm guessing it's the security cams/turrets I didn't get enough pics of. I got the "Completed Research" for all the other regular enemies.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Indeed. I love CoD4, but the check points drive me nuts sometimes when you have to replay a couple of fire fights as you keep dying at another one right before the next checkpoint.[/quote]for the most part the checkpoints worked well enough that it didn't trap you into an instant death right when it loaded the save. i did however experience that once, i triggered a checkpoint when a grenade was thrown near me and i just snapped a dogs neck, so i'm on the ground.

Damn it took four months for you to beat this game? Well I'm sure you only played a little bit at a time anyway. It's long but not that long. I played a few hrs a day and it took me about 3 weeks to a month. Maybe 25-30 hrs.

To get teh research tonics, just remember to take pics of everything as soon as you get the camera. Equip the physical tonic that makes you invisible, set off alarms, stay still (go invisible) until there is only a few secs left and take photos of the bots. Also zap em then photograph them.

[quote name='pittpizza']Damn it took four months for you to beat this game? Well I'm sure you only played a little bit at a time anyway. It's long but not that long. I played a few hrs a day and it took me about 3 weeks to a month. Maybe 25-30 hrs.

To get teh research tonics, just remember to take pics of everything as soon as you get the camera. Equip the physical tonic that makes you invisible, set off alarms, stay still (go invisible) until there is only a few secs left and take photos of the bots. Also zap em then photograph them.[/quote]Yeah, I got it at release, played it a good deal the first week and then got to Fort Frolic. I'm not ashamed to admit it, but I was freaked out. Stopped playing it for a few months. I'm glad I got back into it, though.

I'm only missing research on cameras/turrets right? There aren't any enemies that I had to research that weren't included in the Achievement list? I don't know how I'm gonna research the cameras/turrets, though since I hacked everything in sight.

Argh!!!

Protecting the little bitches while they stab some dead splicers while other splicers try to kill her is a real pain in the ass. I've tried setting up a protecting perminater around her with trap bolt wires, proxy mines, a hacked security system, and getting the splicers to fight each other when raged still doesn't prevent me from loosing one of them!!

argh!

[quote name='ITDEFX']Argh!!!

Protecting the little bitches while they stab some dead splicers while other splicers try to kill her is a real pain in the ass. I've tried setting up a protecting perminater around her with trap bolt wires, proxy mines, a hacked security system, and getting the splicers to fight each other when raged still doesn't prevent me from loosing one of them!!

argh![/quote]It doesn't affect anything should you lose one. Aside from your inner turmoil.

Just wanted to chime in and say I beat the game myself. Only took three nights worth of playing, and probably would have been less If I went at it all day for one day.

Regardless, I can see why this game won so many GOTY nominations. Everything is so fresh and you really get immersed into the game and It's hard to put it down. The graphics are amazing, the gameplay is amazing and honestly multiplayer probably would have hurt the ratings and we would have another "The Darkness" multi player which would have sucked.

I can't wait for the sequel and I hope they take their sweet time with it, and then maybe we'll get the best of both worlds.

Has anybody picked up the new achievement yet (win on Hard, without reviving at any Vita Chambers)?
I imagine it wouldn't be too tough, as long as you do a "Save game" anytime you think the S$$$'s about to hit the fan. And if you die, just go back to the same point. Or does this achievement not allow that?
BTW, there are 6 Video help files for finding all of the Tape machines. It's in marketplace, for free, IF you can manage to get online.

[quote name='sunnysky']
BTW, there are 6 Video help files for finding all of the Tape machines. It's in marketplace, for free, IF you can manage to get online.[/QUOTE]

:lol: That doesn't sound very helpful. Watch vid, boot up game, get a couple recorders, quit game, boot up vid again, watch more, quit, boot up game, get a couple recorders, quit game, boot up vid again, watch more, quit, boot up game, etc.

Finally beat this son of a bitch game. With the exception of the audio cutting out glitches, this was a perfect game. I managed to play and beat it on a 3 year old rig chugging out about 10-20 fps on low detail. I do plan on re-installing the game once I get my new system and play it on full resoultion.

Although I spoiled myself long ago on the ending battle/end scene, it wasn't that hard. Everything was fully loaded and I used my chemical thrower mostly on him til I ran out then used the heat seaker and that was it. I was expecting to run completly out of bullets but I never touched any of my rounds :(

So I guess Rapture stays under water forever huh?

[quote name='mrmafia33']It would be cool if they made a prequel about when rapture started falling appart.[/QUOTE]

I thought I read a rumor that they were toying with the idea of having a prequel about the days leading to fall of the rapture for the next game.

Seriously this game was worth the full price. I should have bought the CE version but waited for the blackfriday sale. :(

After that experiance, I am not doubt buying the sequel/prequel at full price.

The sound was amazing at 7.1.

I'm sure this was due to the fact I played it on Normal instead of Hard, but I didn't even come close to depleting any of my guns the last third of the game. Coupled with tons of money laying around and hacking every possible thing in sight, I just let the game do of my combat for me. (Which I enjoyed, BTW.)

[quote name='sunnysky']Has anybody picked up the new achievement yet (win on Hard, without reviving at any Vita Chambers)?
I imagine it wouldn't be too tough, as long as you do a "Save game" anytime you think the S$$$'s about to hit the fan. And if you die, just go back to the same point. Or does this achievement not allow that?
BTW, there are 6 Video help files for finding all of the Tape machines. It's in marketplace, for free, IF you can manage to get online.[/quote]

Nope, it allows it, and I got the achievement. One of the few I was actually gunning for, too. :)

[quote name='ITDEFX']I thought I read a rumor that they were toying with the idea of having a prequel about the days leading to fall of the rapture for the next game.

Seriously this game was worth the full price. I should have bought the CE version but waited for the blackfriday sale. :(

After that experiance, I am not doubt buying the sequel/prequel at full price.

The sound was amazing at 7.1.[/quote]

do u remember where u heard this from? I wish i woulda got the CE also.

The security system hack was a nice challenge. However the security bots just kept on getting in my fucking way and too many times I accidentally burned because they got in my way. Big daddy killing became an art form as all I had to do was set up 5-7 trap bolts and then piss it off to make it come running at me hence shocking itself to death.

That was fun.

Oh should I have killed that weirdo who wanted me to kill and take pictures of his victims ? Some reports says I shouldn't have done that.

[quote name='mrmafia33']do u remember where u heard this from? I wish i woulda got the CE also.[/QUOTE]

I forgot where I read it. :(

No doubt they will make another one.

[quote name='slickkill77']I dont know really. A prequel would be really hard to set up[/QUOTE]

Really? Seriously The Rapture had great potential and the story leading to it's fall needs to be told in another game...that or in a book!

[quote name='ITDEFX']I thought I read a rumor that they were toying with the idea of having a prequel about the days leading to fall of the rapture for the next game. [/quote]

Actually, they talked quite a bit about the next game on the "Cranky Gamers UK" Podcast.
Their info shows it to be a prequel. They are VERY confident that it is already in the works.
Granted they are also confident that MGS4 is also already in the works for the 360. So I believe they do get a bit over hyper on their predictions.

[quote name='sunnysky']Actually, they talked quite a bit about the next game on the "Cranky Gamers UK" Podcast.
Their info shows it to be a prequel. They are VERY confident that it is already in the works.
Granted they are also confident that MGS4 is also already in the works for the 360. So I believe they do get a bit over hyper on their predictions.[/QUOTE]

Well there ya go. Can't wait! :)

[quote name='ITDEFX']Argh!!!

argh![/quote]you try using insect swarm? i found that it works great when dealing with groups. it doesn't kill them, but distracts them long enough for the security bots to damage or for you to get back at them with a weapon.

bread's done
Back