Bioshock Infinite

Fastr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
anyone else think it's a little odd they touted this as a new IP? I mean it's pretty clear it's bioshock in the sky.. there is a bid daddy like char.. plasmids, not really alot of new about it. I am excited for another Bioshock by Irrational Games tho.

I thought the same thing. But with all the speculation beforehand that this might be Bioshock 3 or something related to the Bioshock we know, maybe they saw a little white lie as fit?
I dont know how closely related to Bioshock this game will end up being or is planned to be. True prequel or spiritual successor?
If its the latter, I wouldnt be completely shocked (no pun intended) to see the name even changed at some point in development.

Just my thoughts.

I wish I could be excited. But even bioshock 2 was unnecessary, the first game tied its knot so tight at the end, but part 2 wasnt bad considering that, but it still didnt feel like it was needed at all and everything in 1 that made it good was forced down your throat in 2 with no subtelty. I can not really picture how a third one will be truly worth it. Granted its not rapture in the sea this time but it might as well be. Its obvious a rich guy has made a floating city, it has big daddy type things, it has plasmids and it has the whole the same look and feel of the other 2 BS games. So basically its just another bioshock in a different setting. I guess the next one will be at the earths core underground, or on the moon.

Considering the worlds fair date was 1893 Im going to assume this is the kneejerk prequel game, its going to probably be something like andrew ryans grandfather or something. Ryan will be tied to it somehow.

Considering its ties to the other games in terms of style, time period and obvious things like the plasmids, the whole "city unto itself", the big robot looking things. How are they going to do something worthwhile when its basically a just a scene change, it has way to much in common with previous titles to allow for much that they havent done already.

Unfortunately once a developer finds that people will buy their sequels just because they bought the successful first game in a series they tend to start milking said series for all it's worth.

I can't say I blame them, but there's far too much sequelitis in gaming nowadays.

[quote name='gargus']I wish I could be excited. But even bioshock 2 was unnecessary, the first game tied its knot so tight at the end, but part 2 wasnt bad considering that, but it still didnt feel like it was needed at all and everything in 1 that made it good was forced down your throat in 2 with no subtelty. I can not really picture how a third one will be truly worth it. Granted its not rapture in the sea this time but it might as well be. Its obvious a rich guy has made a floating city, it has big daddy type things, it has plasmids and it has the whole the same look and feel of the other 2 BS games. So basically its just another bioshock in a different setting. I guess the next one will be at the earths core underground, or on the moon.

Considering the worlds fair date was 1893 Im going to assume this is the kneejerk prequel game, its going to probably be something like andrew ryans grandfather or something. Ryan will be tied to it somehow.

Considering its ties to the other games in terms of style, time period and obvious things like the plasmids, the whole "city unto itself", the big robot looking things. How are they going to do something worthwhile when its basically a just a scene change, it has way to much in common with previous titles to allow for much that they havent done already.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? Ken Levine agrees that Bioshock 2 was unnecessary that's why he did not work on it and instead made this new one.

Well I'm excited, sorry to stop the negative train.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']What are you talking about? Ken Levine agrees that Bioshock 2 was unnecessary that's why he did not work on it and instead made this new one.

Well I'm excited, sorry to stop the negative train.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. I don't think everyone realizes a different team made Bioshock 2, but the Bioshock 1 team (Irrational Games) is making Infinite. And after seeing the trailer, I can't wait for Infinite.

And considering the main complain most reviewers had about Bioshock 2 was that Rapture didn't feel new anymore, I think Infinite will feel a lot more fresh.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Should have just called it Skyoshock...[/QUOTE]
every video game website has made that joke :(, but your right.

BioShock 1 = 2K Boston = Irrational Games = Ken Levine

BioShock 2 = 2K Marin using assets supplied by 2K Boston's Bioshock 1.

Bioshock: Infinite = true successor to the BioShock name.

And BioShock: Infinite will basically be stand-alone, take place before BioShock and have very little to do with the plots of BioShock 1 and 2 if at all.

It will be amazing.

[quote name='redgamer']bioshock 1 = 2k boston = irrational games = ken levine

bioshock 2 = 2k marin using assets supplied by 2k boston's bioshock 1.

Bioshock: Infinite = true successor to the bioshock name.

And bioshock: Infinite will basically be stand-alone, take place before bioshock and have very little to do with the plots of bioshock 1 and 2 if at all.

It will be amazing.[/quote]
+1.

Loved Bioshock 1 and 2, and I'm looking forward to Infinite a lot. I'm glad they left Rapture for this one, Columbia looks awesome.

ill try it once it drops in price. but id really like a real sequel to bioshock 1. wtf happend with that guy ? wasnt the last bioshock a prequel of sorts?

[quote name='RedGamer']BioShock 1 = 2K Boston = Irrational Games = Ken Levine

BioShock 2 = 2K Marin using assets supplied by 2K Boston's Bioshock 1.

Bioshock: Infinite = true successor to the BioShock name.

And BioShock: Infinite will basically be stand-alone, take place before BioShock and have very little to do with the plots of BioShock 1 and 2 if at all.

It will be amazing.[/QUOTE]
Leveled Up!
Guts +1
Heart +3
Balls + 2

(Sorry, I've been Reading Scotty P.)

I gotta agree with the people who say it just looks like more of the same. It is Bioshock in the sky. The way Irrational has been hinting about this game, I thought it was going to be something completely different. I'm betting that this will be a quality game, I just a bit disappointed that it is just a sequel/prequel.

No Bioshock 2 isnt a prequel and it doesnt take place in the past. Radio journals are mostly from pre Bioshock 1, but the story in current time is taking place after Bioshock 1.

And I dont view this as "more of the same". There are ofcourse lots of similarities in powers, strange city, and tin men, but what are their explanations here and if this is the same universe as past Bioshock games (which we still dont know if it is or isnt), then how are the plasmids in later games such a revolution if these things already existed. Tin men included.

Theres too many question to be answered for people to act like this is so predictable and "more of the same". Levine knows what hes doing. And thats all I need to know to want this.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Should have just called it Skyoshock...[/QUOTE]
I don't get why people keep saying this; Bioshock 1 is not called "Watershock". Bio can refer to the biology of a person and the effects of plasmids on the human body. And also the biological effects associated with living in an underwater/sky civilization (away from traditional society).

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I don't get why people keep saying this; Bioshock 1 is not called "Watershock". Bio can refer to the biology of a person and the effects of plasmids on the human body. And also the biological effects associated with living in an underwater/sky civilization (away from traditional society).[/QUOTE]
becayse sky rhymes with bi, and its placed in the sky.

I was one of those people who got sucked in by the Bioshock demo and its awesome setting and atmosphere. Then I goot the full game and was really surprised on how mundane the whole design was.

Can't say I'm excited. But once again, props to a brilliant setting and what's probably going to be a really cool concept.

We've reached companies touting sequels as new IPs? This is like how Capcom now plans to release 3-4 games per year for each franchise it has. There's gotta be some point where developers are allowed to make something that isn't a sequel, spinoff, remake, or semi-sequel.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I don't get why people keep saying this; Bioshock 1 is not called "Watershock". Bio can refer to the biology of a person and the effects of plasmids on the human body. And also the biological effects associated with living in an underwater/sky civilization (away from traditional society).[/QUOTE]

They should have called it Flyoshock.

Is Maximo a sequel to Ghost and Goblins?
Is Shadow of the Colossus a sequel to Ico?

There is a big difference IMO between a sequel and spiritual successor.
This isnt a sequel.
Its not that hard to understand.

[quote name='Nova_01']Is Maximo a sequel to Ghost and Goblins?

This isnt a sequel.
Its not that hard to understand.[/QUOTE]

Spiritual successors don't carry the original IP's name.

Call it a prequel, or whatever, it's the same world. San Andreas to Vice City. Bigger, better, and much improved, but it's in the same series.

Looks pretty cool though.

From Ken Levine himself http://irrationalgames.com/insider/announcement-from-ken-levine/

Keeping secrets is hard.
The last three years for me have been dominated by a single question: “What are you guys doing there?”
Some of you were pretty certain it was an X-COM game, which I can now safely say it is not. It is also not part of the Freedom Force, SWAT, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, Kingdom Hearts or Yar’s Revenge franchises. The time for discussing what Irrational Games is NOT doing is over.
Today we announce BioShock Infinite.
That’s right, this is a BioShock game.
It’s a sequel.
But it’s also not a sequel.
Let me explain.
At Irrational Games, we believe that in order to fulfill expectations, you have to defy expectations.
When we completed the original BioShock, we felt we had said all we wanted to say with Rapture, but we weren’t done with the idea that is BioShock. BioShock is so much more than a story of a single place or a single time. We had so much more we wanted to say.
There are two core principles for us that define a BioShock game. First, it has to be set in a world that is both fantastical and yet also grounded in the human experience. Second, it has to provide gamers with a large set of tools, and then set them loose in an environment that empowers them to solve problems in their own way.
It would have been easier for us to go back to the well. We could have taken the easy route. We could have simply done more of the same, but we would not have been true to ourselves as game developers. Making the original BioShock was hard. We challenged ourselves every step of the way, and we tossed aside many elements and ideas simply because they weren’t good enough.
So when we started the sequel, we said to ourselves: “We want to expand on those core principles, but beyond that, there are no sacred cows. Everything else that people know or think they know about BioShock is open for negotiation.”
You will find yourself in a completely new world. Columbia is not an unknown secret city at the bottom of the sea. It’s a creation of an America transforming from a regional agrarian collection of states into a world power with global reach.
You now play an actual character, and not a cypher who is unaware of his own identity. You are Booker Dewitt, a particular character with an established history, with a voice you will hear as he talks to himself and others in the game.
You’ve come to Columbia for a reason: to find a mysterious young woman named Elizabeth and bring her safely out of the city. She will travel with you, interact with you, and react to the situations you cause to happen, and through your relationship with her, we’re able to tell the story of this new and amazing world.
This world of Columbia presents radical differences in scale from what you are used to. You’re not crawling through corridors on the ocean floor, claustrophobic with the weight of the ocean bearing down on you. Instead you find yourself navigating through huge environments, zipping around on Sky-Lines at eighty miles per hour and getting into firefights at ranges of two thousand yards.
In fact, there is so much new and radical about BioShock Infinite that we simply can’t tell you all about it in one revelation. What we present to the world today is merely the tip of a very large iceberg. In the coming months we’ll begin to reveal more of what BioShock Infinite is all about and let the world know why we are so excited.
For now, we want to thank you all for your patience, and for sticking with us all these many months while we labored in silence.The time for silence is over. First up for the fans of this site is another episode of Irrational Behavior with Shawn Elliott that covers the announcement of BioShock Infinite and the work that led up to it. I’m sure you’ll dig it.
Down the road a bit, actual gameplay footage awaits. It’s something you’re going to want to watch more than once. Trust me on this one.

I don't see a reason why it needs a different title than Bioshock. Bio meaning "life" and shock meaning well "shock". It's a shock in a way life or a shocking way of life, which describes both games and will also explain this one. Just like System Shock 1 and 2 (Bioshock is said to be the spiritual successor to System Shock 2) dealt with an AI causing havoc on a space station. All these games relate to something "shocking" an otherwise peaceful way of life.

That was pretty much my understanding of it the first time I read the stories.
Whats still unanswered is if this is the same Bioshock universe or a different "what-if", all together. Im eager and interested to see it all play out.
And for people who keep saying how predictable this all is, please do me the favor of letting me know what happens now and saving me the money.
And if youre wrong, you can retire from the skeptical know-everything nonsense.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Spiritual successors don't carry the original IP's name.

Call it a prequel, or whatever, it's the same world. San Andreas to Vice City. Bigger, better, and much improved, but it's in the same series.

Looks pretty cool though.[/QUOTE]
I didn't realize there were hard and fast rules to this.
And because all the Final Fantasies are called Final Fantasy they too take place in the same world? Because they don't.
And as I said before, if it is a spiritual successor, I wouldn't be surprised to see the name changed during development. That's not unheard of either.

Looks absolutely beautiful from the trailer. Any ETA on release? 2010 or 2011?

The first Bioshock absolutely amazed me but I've failed to capture that feeling since my original playthrough 3 years ago and I haven't had a chance to play 2 yet. I was severely disappointed that enemies respawned and it took away my motivation to explore Rapture any more than needed.

I'll hold out hope though. It was the atmosphere, art design, and 'feel' of the original that pulled me in.

[quote name='Nova_01']I didn't realize there were hard and fast rules to this.
And because all the Final Fantasies are called Final Fantasy they too take place in the same world? Because they don't.
And as I said before, if it is a spiritual successor, I wouldn't be surprised to see the name changed during development. That's not unheard of either.[/QUOTE]

Not sure my opinion counts as a rule, but spiritual successors typically come around when the developers lose an IP.

A different story or character does not create a new IP, if anything you'd want to recreate the experience and cash in on that big name title. Icarus --> Bioshock. I do love the direction they are moving, not necessarily under water to the skies, but in providing a new story.

This is really great.

My idea was to do the next Bioshock high in some Asian mountains with alot of panoramic views, volcano fortresses, and a different architecture. But this is even more bioshock then that - a city in the sky!

From this point on, I hope we never go back to Rapture for more then a bonus level or cameo. New settings and time periods are exactly what the franchise needs.

So sea and then air. I wonder what's left after this one. Maybe a 70s bioshock in space (groovy...)

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Not sure my opinion counts as a rule, but spiritual successors typically come around when the developers lose an IP.

A different story or character does not create a new IP, if anything you'd want to recreate the experience and cash in on that big name title. Icarus --> Bioshock. I do love the direction they are moving, not necessarily under water to the skies, but in providing a new story.[/QUOTE]

I do wonder if the Bioshock name is a way to cash in if this is a new IP, in some ways. Its just a wonder. Because again, Im still not sure if this is the same universe or a game of very similar themes. A sequel or successor.
I have wondered if the name changes or is dropped.
In much the same way the Call of Duty tag fell off Modern Warfare.

[quote name='QiG']Looks absolutely beautiful from the trailer. Any ETA on release? 2010 or 2011?

[/QUOTE]

I think they said 2012.

[quote name='Nova_01']Is Maximo a sequel to Ghost and Goblins?

This isnt a sequel.
Its not that hard to understand.[/QUOTE]

I file this under semi-sequel or what others would more accurately call spiritual successor. It's closer to sequel or the same thing being done in a different setting than getting a new IP.

[quote name='lokizz']Aeroshock would be a cool name.[/QUOTE]

I was going to post this too, but since I wasn't excited enough to even watch the trailer after seeing the name and screenshots, I didn't know if this game takes place on a flying platform or some suspended city in the sky.

Just watched the trailer, definitely should be called Aeroshock. Trailer is one of the best, just like that Bioshock one, but I fear the game will not live up to it again. They've got great stories and settings but they need to improve their game design and game play. Edit, if it's dealing with the same stuff as Bioshock did (I hope not) then maybe Bioshock is a more appropriate title, but then it will just be Bioshock lifted thousands of feet upwards...

I would've preferred some new XXXXshock title and look like something brand new than for them to just call it Bioshock XXXX and make it look just like Bioshock but in the skies going by the screenshots. Since System Shock 1&2 are so old and most of us never played it I would be okay and even excited for a full remake of that, especially if it included both titles in one. Remakes of games older than a decade are justified.

If they call it Bioshock they'll get more market share guaranteed.

These guys make good games. If they can put more money into the game because they're going to make more money on the other end, then I really don't care what it's called. I just want to play the best game possible.

bread's done
Back