BioShock Limited Edition Details Announced

Walt Jay

CAGiversary!
Feedback
174 (100%)
http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/home.html

We have tallied up the votes, read your comments, and are happy to announce the details of the BioShock Limited Edition. Available on August 21st (the same day as the regular BioShock edition), the LE will include a Big Daddy figurine, a “Making Of” DVD, and a soundtrack CD. The LE packaging will also be an embossed graphic designed by the winner of the Cover Art Contest going on now at www.cultofrapture.com.

The BioShock Limited Edition will be available to US and Canada exclusively at GameStop and EB for US$59.99 (PC LE) and US$69.99 (Xbox 360™ LE). The Limited Edition will also be available in Europe and details about ordering a copy will be coming soon.

I’d like to personally thank everyone who participated in signing the petition for the BioShock Limited Edition and those who voted about what should go inside the box. We had over 26,000 responses to our poll, and those votes were the deciding factor in what we choose to put in the Limited Edition. We wanted to make the package affordable, but valuable and special for everyone purchasing it, and I think we did just that.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of metal case 2K is using. If its similar to the Lost Planet one, sign me up. If its the Smackdown vs Raw/Prey type of case...I'll pass.

"Making of" DVDs are usually pretty interesting, and for a game like Bioshock where I am, and have been for months (years even really, if you count System Shock sequel rumors from long ago) it makes it all the sweeter.

I'm gonna guess it's gonna be the tin used in Prey and Gears of War LEs, which sucked. They have the figurine coming with it, unless they ship that separately to retailers, like a pre-order bonus.

I've never understood the appeal of limited editions. Except for in the rare case of something like Doom or Mortal Kombat, where they actually offered additional games/gameplay, I just can't justify spending the extra money on a regular game with a making-of DVD. I guess some people are really into it, but it doesn't appeal to me.

I've never understood the appeal of limited editions. Except for in the rare case of something like Doom or Mortal Kombat, where they actually offered additional games/gameplay, I just can't justify spending the extra money on a regular game with a making-of DVD. I guess some people are really into it, but it doesn't appeal to me.
Ditto. I don't even have time to play all the games I want to, much less watch a making-of DVD about one of the games. Not to mention the $70 rip-off editions usually wind up selling for $10 down the road just like the regular edition. The only exception would be the ones that are truly limited edition like the Metal Gear Solid 3 LE, and even then, all you are getting is another DVD...bleah.

[quote name='elwood731']I've never understood the appeal of limited editions. Except for in the rare case of something like Doom or Mortal Kombat, where they actually offered additional games/gameplay, I just can't justify spending the extra money on a regular game with a making-of DVD. I guess some people are really into it, but it doesn't appeal to me.[/QUOTE]

You don't like action figures? You are the anti-nerd.

Damn it...another great game coming out and the wallet is hurting...I guess my purchase on LE would depend on how cool the "Big Daddy" figure is.

[quote name='red flare graf']You don't like action figures? You are the anti-nerd.[/QUOTE]
Not as much as my fellow nerds, and not $10 worth. The soundtrack is a bigger incentive to me, but most games have forgettable soundtracks, anyway.

Ever since Halo 2 these Limited Edition's are out of hand. I mean they aren't really that limited.
They are limited to the amount that the publisher can sell, so infinite. I especially laugh at the suckers ponying up $120 or whatever for the Halo 3 Ultimate Rip-Off Edition.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Ever since Halo 2 these Limited Edition's are out of hand. I mean they aren't really that limited.[/quote]
Blame Japan where there are 5 versions of every game. (only a small exaggeration)

Let's hope this one doesn't slip into christmastime.. it's gonna be the busyiest christmas yet for games.. so much coming out!

[quote name='pimpinc333']Ever since Halo 2 these Limited Edition's are out of hand. I mean they aren't really that limited.[/QUOTE]
What's sad is the Halo 2 LE was fantastic: metal case, different artwork on the book, and a bonus DVD that was packed with good stuff...and it was only $5 more than the standard edition.

Mortal Kombat Deception's limited edition the following year was the first case of me being outright offended by a limited edition - variant covers (with a crappy cardboard slipcase) that were store specific, a bonus disc that came in a paper sleeve just thrown inside the case, terrible emulation on the supposedly "arcade perfect" version of MK1, and probably 80% of the "bonus material" was readily available either on the previous MK game, or on websites for free. Oh, and it was $10 more than the regular version.

As long as they don't use the Prey CE case or the Halo 2 LE case, it'll be OK. Nothing more annoying than a single disc against bare metal or two discs stacked on top of one another on the same spindle.

If they use the Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory case (two discs on individual holders), then they have the right idea.

I think they'll have the Big Daddy figure as the give-away item for the pre-order, and they'll put the "Making Of" DVD & art book in the case. Prey's case with the figurines inside of the case was a bad move.

^^

Agreed. I remember when I got the Prey LE and thought the game disc was missing. Then I removed the bottom part to find it flush against the metal case. So not only was the case gigantic, it didn't do a good job of holding one disc. Lets hope they do better this time around.

[quote name='Walt Jay']^^

Agreed. I remember when I got the Prey LE and thought the game disc was missing. Then I removed the bottom part to find it flush against the metal case. So not only was the case gigantic, it didn't do a good job of holding one disc. Lets hope they do better this time around.[/quote]
I ended up buying Prey LE @ BB when it dropped to $24.99, and returned it because the disc looked like it had been run against a belt sander. Plus, my 360 decided it didn't want to play it. :whistle2:s

Went back to BB, and found the other two were the same way. Ended up swapping it for a non-LE copy of Prey.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Aren't Bioshock and Prey 2K published?[/quote]
Yes, they are.

Let's hope they don't duplicate the mistake with the Prey packaging for Bioshock.

[quote name='Scorch']Gamestop and EB exclusive, what the fuck!? fuck you guys.

..i'm still getting it.[/quote]

This is the interesting part to me. If there is nothing actually gained by pre-ordering, but it's just the matter of the one SKU itself being available only at EB/GS, that makes this a pretty rare publishing occurence, no?

Given that I've already preordered this from liongames.com and that I don't want to give another dollar to EBGamestop unless it's an absolute last-resort situation, I'm going to have to pass. I will, however, say that I've seen a lot worse in terms of Collector's Editions this gen, and I applaud them for letting the 'community' have its say in terms of the content.

The days of the extra maps or character or weapons included in the LE/CE are gone, as DLC seems to have taken care of that.

EB/Gamestop has gotten a fair amount of exclusives recently. They were the only stores with the limited editions of the new .hack game and FF XII that came out last fall on PS2 and the 360 limited edition of Smackdown vs. Raw 2007. They have also had some cheap GBA games be exclusive to them, but they weren't any notable releases/bargin games from Japan.

LE for 69.99 or preorder at lions for 39.99, so you are really payin an extra 30 for the action figure...no thanks

This is one LE that I will actually probably spring for.
I'm not into figurines though, but my GF will like it I'm sure.

[quote name='ighosty']LE for 69.99 or preorder at lions for 39.99, so you are really payin an extra 30 for the action figure...no thanks[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I'd love to have the LE(I don't ever buy them, last one was Halo 2), but it is hard looking at a $30 price difference.

[quote name='ighosty']LE for 69.99 or preorder at lions for 39.99, so you are really payin an extra 30 for the action figure...no thanks[/QUOTE]
are there any pictures of this figurine, because it could just be like the Prey CE where its a 2-inch tall PoS

[quote name='shrike4242']Yes, they are.

Let's hope they don't duplicate the mistake with the Prey packaging for Bioshock.[/quote]

Also, I'm hoping the figurine isn't a crappy as the Prey figurine. That thing was tiny!

A tiny-Big Daddy figurine would be weak. :bomb:

Why the fuck did they even bother asking people to sign a petition to guage interest in an LE if they were just going to turn around and limit the places you can buy it. Does that seem stupid to anybody else?

Anyway, I'll lay down $5 at EB for a pre-order and $10 with Liongames.com and once TeamXbox gets pictures of the packaging I'll make my choice. If it's the Prey tin, forget it I'll go regular edition. If it's like the Lost Planet tin and the Big Daddy figurine is as big or bigger than the VS figure that came with the LP pre-order, I'll go for the LE and maybe still pick up the regular edition as well.

Too bad they had to make such a stupid choice and make the LE a EB/GS exclusive. Most games I wouldn't care, but Bioshock & Mass Effect are like my Halo 3.

If the case design looks anything like they one they were showing (embossed goldish) then I will have to get it. Most likely gonna put $5 on it tomorrow, just in case.

I think people are really underestimating how awesome the soundtrack is likely to be.

The offical soundtrack for System Shock 2 finally made it out and it's fucking mindblowing.

http://www.sshock2.com/shownews.asp?id=390

Of course the same guy who did the System Shock 2 soundtrack isn't doing BioShock's but I am willing to bet Irrational will find a worthy successor

I'm still kind of torn on it. On one hand yeah, I like the DVD and soundtrack but I could potentially download those. $30 is steep for an action figure and a fancy box. Lion has too good of a deal to pass up

[quote name='Walt Jay']Also, I'm hoping the figurine isn't a crappy as the Prey figurine. That thing was tiny!

A tiny-Big Daddy figurine would be weak. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Yep. I guess it all depends on the figure. If it is like Prey, I'll pass. If it is more like Assassin's Creed, I'm on board.

Check out the fan made LE Pack:

LE.jpg

Taken from http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=519302&highlight=bioshock which was taken from the Bioshock forums but I couldn't find a direct link that credits the original artist.

I made 2 Bioshock gamercards for anyone that cares to use them:

LinkinPrime.png

Code:
http://my.livecard.net/46972/GAMERTAG.png

Version 2:

LinkinPrime1.png

Code:
http://my.livecard.net/46973/GAMERTAG.png
Please let me know what you guys think. I welcome all feedback. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='graf1k']Why the fuck did they even bother asking people to sign a petition to guage interest in an LE if they were just going to turn around and limit the places you can buy it. Does that seem stupid to anybody else?

Anyway, I'll lay down $5 at EB for a pre-order and $10 with Liongames.com and once TeamXbox gets pictures of the packaging I'll make my choice. If it's the Prey tin, forget it I'll go regular edition. If it's like the Lost Planet tin and the Big Daddy figurine is as big or bigger than the VS figure that came with the LP pre-order, I'll go for the LE and maybe still pick up the regular edition as well.

Too bad they had to make such a stupid choice and make the LE a EB/GS exclusive. Most games I wouldn't care, but Bioshock & Mass Effect are like my Halo 3.[/QUOTE]

Probably because EB/GS are the only suppliers willing to take them in. Like wise, EBGS could have blackmailed 2K into make the LE exclusive to them. Hell, EBGS might be shelling out the cash to make it an EBGS exclusive, which is a good thing in the event Bioshock becomes a financial bust (at this point, the odds are 50/50).

Thanks for the Live card LP, I think I'll start using the first one.

bread's done
Back