Black Friday 2019 Video Game Deals - Master Thread, Spreadsheet, and General Black Friday Discussion

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Between work and moving, I haven't really kept an eye on games much this year. I'm more interested in the peripherals--I'm hoping the G502 Lightspeed and G Pro Wireless get good discounts. I was hoping the new Nano IPS monitor from LG would go on sale, but at this point, I'd be happy if it just comes back in stock!

Fire Emblem on Switch would probably be of most interest to me, but given my endless playing of Overwatch this year, it'll be hard to find time for newer stuff. I can't wait to move and take time off work to play the mess out of games like a kid. It's been so long since I bothered to pick up any new games that I feel like I've missed out on quite a bit, but I don't even know what.

The people who only go into stores during the holidays to buy stuff like this aren't even going to be aware of the difference...
Agreed, but it's the principle. They are in fact the worst console to buy on a budget this year, and I hope it shows in their earnings. From console to accessories to games, they are typically the worst priced in all three categories with less 3rd party support. If I were still working retail, I'd direct every mom and dad asking towards a PS4 or X1 if I could. Switch is only for the kid who has everything at this point.

To play devil's advocate, I think they do that to throw off bots from grabbing all the good stuff right away. Still annoying when you're up late waiting for the sale to start so you can sleep.
Eh, I think I'll keep my tin foil in the oven. ;) A sale is a sale and they're not going to care about bots; no, they simply fucked up the start time is all. :p

The prices for Target's BF preview were actually live at 3AM, exactly when they were supposed to be. I don't know about the advertisement for it on the main page, but I was able to check out with the discounted price and got my confirmation e-mail at 3:02, well before the 3:20 that other guy's saying.

Occasionally they will get a price drop.  But Nintendo (home television) consoles never go on sale.  This is not news.  Welcome to last century. 

Really? 21 pages and no one's done it?

*sigh*

here ya go

giphy.gif

This is my first year being all digital so question for those with experience...

I know most of this stuff is physical exclusively, but is there any chance of digital copies being marked down to the same prices on BF?

This is my first year being all digital so question for those with experience...

I know most of this stuff is physical exclusively, but is there any chance of digital copies being marked down to the same prices on BF?
I can only speak for XBL, but while there's a much larger selection of discounts, they're typically not quite as low as the lowest physical. I predict, for example, with Borderlands 3 being $28 at BB, it'll be perhaps $35-40 on XBL.

EDIT: Link to the prices for XBL's sale last year: https://www.trueachievements.com/n35237/xbox-one-black-friday-sale-2018

Shadow Of The Tomb Raider was a new release, discounted to $27 at GameStop but $30 on XBL.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey went to $27 also at GameStop, still $40.19 online.

Waiting on Gamestop, didn't even know they were doing their bonus trade in thing  today. Went from $18 credit to $31.50 credit!

As I have mentioned earlier in the thread, I want them to do the free Xbox 360 promotion again! So many titles got skimped over!

I think that whomever is making the spreadsheet is waiting for the other big retailers like Walmart, GameStop, and Fry's Electronics to announce their Black Friday ads, also. That's what I would do.

I got death stranding with gcu from a preorder a year ago for like 52 dollars. I also got the special edition for full price of 75 as it was not listed yet when I had gcu.

Is a 25 dollar price difference worth the special edition?

Any chance of a PS4 Pro Death Stranding Limited Edition bundle deal this year?

I want to buy one, but not at MSRP (I already spent $200 on the game's Collector's Edition).

I'll even accept a gift card deal if possible. :)

I got death stranding with gcu from a preorder a year ago for like 52 dollars. I also got the special edition for full price of 75 as it was not listed yet when I had gcu.

Is a 25 dollar price difference worth the special edition?
Do you want a plastic baby with lights, or a plastic briefcase? How about some non-essential DLC items (colored gold) or a digital soundtrack which I'm sure you can easily find via a web search. That $75 for the CE is fantastic, I'd absolutely keep it for the $25 difference, but I don't mind weird plastic gamer junk in my house.

Unless Sony restocks, it won’t be available at many stores. Can’t purchase it online at GameStop or Best Buy.

Well it's pathetic because they clearly dont care about their customer base, they only care about money *InB4 "Well no shit duhhh!?!?!"* why would you want to support that?

Charging $300 with absolutely nothing substantial included for an OG model of a primarily handheld gaming device almost 3 years after release is absurd.

EDIT: Its also crazy to think that there are some suckers out there that have spent $1000 on nintendo products over the last three years (switch console, games that never go on sale) when they could've turned that $1000 into an actual console and 30+ games instead of basically a handheld system and 10 games.

Calm down buddy. Dont get upset now.
Yep. I’m the one that’s upset. :shame:

I remember Walmart matching the prices on the digital copy code cards in-store last year if that's what you were asking. I think most people buy the physical copies so that they can possibly get their money back by trading the games in when they're done playing them (or just buying them to flip). But I always check PSN and Xbox Live because their digital sales are typically better than the ones in the store.

Waiting on Gamestop, didn't even know they were doing their bonus trade in thing today. Went from $18 credit to $31.50 credit!

As I have mentioned earlier in the thread, I want them to do the free Xbox 360 promotion again! So many titles got skimped over!
I made $130 in store credit yesterday in about five minutes. New model Switch, here I come!

Any chance of a PS4 Pro Death Stranding Limited Edition bundle deal this year?
I want to buy one, but not at MSRP (I already spent $200 on the game's Collector's Edition).
I'll even accept a gift card deal if possible. :)
It likely is already discontinued like all PS4 Pro limited editions are the day of release. You should still be able to find it for maybe till the end of the year but doubt we'll see any deals for it.

I'd buy it now before it hits resell prices of $700+ like the Spider Man or God of War PS4 Pros.

Agreed, but it's the principle. They are in fact the worst console to buy on a budget this year, and I hope it shows in their earnings. From console to accessories to games, they are typically the worst priced in all three categories with less 3rd party support. If I were still working retail, I'd direct every mom and dad asking towards a PS4 or X1 if I could. Switch is only for the kid who has everything at this point.
That's a pretty crazy stance to take, the Switch is the new hot thing and is getting a lot of multiplat and exclusive support. If you want the best right now, that's where you're going to go.

the nintendo switch with mario kart bundle is version-2 system with better battery life?
I posted a few pages back that Polygon reported how Nintendo is attempting to unload the original Switches with the shorter battery life in that Mario Kart 8 holiday bundle.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/7/20953318/black-friday-2019-nintendo-switch-mario-kart-8-deluxe-bundle

After some GameStop flips and some gift card purchasing magic this weekend, I'm finally ready to buy a Switch myself, but I'm waiting to see if the new model Switch will be discounted or at the very least receive a free gift card or game with purchase. But I'm not buying the bundle.

It likely is already discontinued like all PS4 Pro limited editions are the day of release. You should still be able to find it for maybe till the end of the year but doubt we'll see any deals for it.

I'd buy it now before it hits resell prices of $700+ like the Spider Man or God of War PS4 Pros.
Thanks for the info, I checked ebay last night and the prices for the system without the controller are $400+ so yeah, I went ahead and got one of the last new ones in my area from Best Buy. Just gotta drive an hour to pick it up. fuck them for not doing shipping (or shipping to a closer store).

Thanks for the info, I checked ebay last night and the prices for the system without the controller are $400+ so yeah, I went ahead and got one of the last new ones in my area from Best Buy. Just gotta drive an hour to pick it up. fuck them for not doing shipping (or shipping to a closer store).
In stock on Target.com https://www.target.com/p/playstation-4-pro-1-tb-death-stranding-limited-edition-console/-/A-78266560

Barely any store has it so order before it sells out.

That's a pretty crazy stance to take, the Switch is the new hot thing and is getting a lot of multiplat and exclusive support. If you want the best right now, that's where you're going to go.
The multi-platform titles tend to be either lazy ports for games that came out upwards of close to decade ago (Skyrim) -OR- games that can still be run reasonably on the hardware (which pretty much rules out most AAA games). Of the exclusives they have, none are system sellers or end up on the steaming pile of shovelware penny games.

They are not the "hot new thing" since there is lead time on game development and if you want to be on that current wave, you're already knee-deep in PS5/Scarlet dev kits.

Looks like dollar General actually has a Ps1 mini for 25 and one of the plug and play ataris in their ad. Real shit quality scan on the site I use so I can't see details too well.

Didn't seem like great deals but since there's nothing else happening I mentioning it.

This is a great time of the year where all the people asking for spreadsheets to pitch in together and make it themselves.
I was tempted to make one, but if I did, I'd want all of the Black Friday ads to be released first, so that if the obscure store like Dollar General has video games or gift cards for consoles and steam on sale, I would want to include those too. And, you also have to factor in if people consider PCs, Tablets, and Smart Phones to be gaming devices, and how many of those should be added. It just sounds like a huge headache.

Curious- those who don't have an Xbox yet, are you going to bite on the $350 One X Star Wars Bundle or just wait for the next-gen Xbox in Fall 2020?

Curious- those who don't have an Xbox yet, are you going to bite on the $350 One X Star Wars Bundle or just wait for the next-gen Xbox in Fall 2020?
I just bought the Gears 5 Xbox X after trading in a switch. I'm gonna buy the Xb1S Star Wars for my kids that way I can play Star wars too. When Scarlett Comes out I will probably trade in the S and Give my kids the Gears console.

I want an Xbox One X, but I am totally willing to wait until Black Friday 2020, just so that I don't have to pay more than $250 for it. I also just got that Star Wars game for my PS4 in today's Target deal, so I don't really need two copies of the same game.

I've also heard that the Kohl's deal with NBA 20 is a slightly better deal, as it comes with $105 of Kohl's Cash, which is basically an $105 gift card for Kohl's, bringing down the price of the Xbox One X to $245 (hypothetically).

The multi-platform titles tend to be either lazy ports for games that came out upwards of close to decade ago (Skyrim) -OR- games that can still be run reasonably on the hardware (which pretty much rules out most AAA games). Of the exclusives they have, none are system sellers or end up on the steaming pile of shovelware penny games.

They are not the "hot new thing" since there is lead time on game development and if you want to be on that current wave, you're already knee-deep in PS5/Scarlet dev kits.
You sound like a hater, honestly. There are plenty of very current multiplats ont he system. As for no system-sellilng exclusives? I mean come on now, that's just false. It's literally the fastest selling system...period. To say games like Smash Bros., Mario Odyssey, Pokemon, etc. aren't system sellers? You sound super delusional.

As for PS5/Scarlet they still have a lot to prove, and will have to catch up quite a ways to the massive number of units the Switch has sold. Right now it has dominated, and it looks like that's set to continue.

bread's done
Back