Black Friday 2019 Video Game Deals - Master Thread, Spreadsheet, and General Black Friday Discussion

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
A BF without Toys R Us doesn't feel right

U1pCqjf.png

Walmart always pulls this shit. I expect it this Thursday. Gamestop is even worse and I expect it next Thursday.

So far there's nothing but a few handfuls of deals to me. I have like 50 smaller websites bookmarked to check that day/weekend tho. Not gaming stuff but I've found some of my best deals on little sites with b1g1 for stuff I'm into (books vinyl etc).
Since I had discounted GameStop gift cards and trade credit from last weekend's $5 flip-a-palooza, I went ahead and bought my new model Switch from GameStop last night. I wanted to wait to see if they were going to do a free gift card with the system, but (a) there were some eShop games that I wanted, (b) that Mario Kart 8 Switch bundle is the biggest bait-and-switch I've seen in a long time, and (c) I really hate shopping at GameStop. Unless they do something really great, I probably won't set foot in GameStop on Black Friday.

So far, Target seems to have the best prices on physical Switch titles for Black Friday. And the Target employees could give a rat's ass about selling me a warranty or a magazine subscription when I only want to purchase the crap that I went in there to buy. They just want me to keep moving so I don't hold up the line.

I feel for yall who have gamestop problems, but truth is my store is great. All the regular employees know me and know my deal. They don't ask me about warrantees and I'm already a pro member. They regularly order me stuff and help me beyond a normal customer. They don't test controllers I bring in.

My issue is with the seasonal employees. Now THOSE guys are idiots and then some. If I see one I usually just wait until someone I recognize is there. I was told once "no I don't think we do pre-orders". Lmao.

I feel for yall who have gamestop problems, but truth is my store is great. All the regular employees know me and know my deal. They don't ask me about warrantees and I'm already a pro member. They regularly order me stuff and help me beyond a normal customer. They don't test controllers I bring in.

My issue is with the seasonal employees. Now THOSE guys are idiots and then some. If I see one I usually just wait until someone I recognize is there. I was told once "no I don't think we do pre-orders". Lmao.
Ive been saying basically the same for years. There are 5 Gamestops within 20 minutes of my house and Ive never really had an issue at any of them in all the years I've shopped there.

Ive been saying basically the same for years. There are 5 Gamestops within 20 minutes of my house and Ive never really had an issue at any of them in all the years I've shopped there.
Eh, more likely than no, both of your aren't trying to get away with something or at least are somewhat reasonable about your trade-ins.
Usually the big Gamestop hate rants usually leave out the part of the story where the person posting it is doing some dubious-at-best stuff to try to flip their way from $100 to $1000 in store credit by just buying and selling games between 4 stores by exploiting bonuses.

I specifically go to one that is a few miles farther than a couple others because the 3 regular employees are super cool. That doesn’t mean I still don’t have problems with GameStop (locked out of my account, B2G1 coupon used by someone). Definitely not looking forward to all the seasonal employees starting to work.

All we need now is for Walmart and GameStop to spill their load and we'll have a White Christmas on Black Friday. Cyber Monday is always sloppy seconds.

Does anyone know anything about "Kohl's Cash"? Is it basically store credit you can spend on w/e you want in a 1 to 1 ratio? 

Does anyone know anything about "Kohl's Cash"? Is it basically store credit you can spend on w/e you want in a 1 to 1 ratio?
Yeah; I think you get $10 for every $50 you spend. They’re only good for a short time after the original purchase, so make sure to check your dates.

no spread sheet? at this point i may just make one myself. how is it no one on the internet made one? lol
That would be better than lazily griping about it.

Or you could just read the thread and see there's a link in the 2nd post and also multiple times within the last few posts.

no spread sheet? at this point i may just make one myself. how is it no one on the internet made one? lol
1. You're someone.

2. You should make one yourself.

3. lol

Bonus: *Read the thread.

Super bonus:
To all others asking, read the thread or make one yourself. Stop begging.

Spreadsheet can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cqMslQypWti54F36PZYZQ3qIH6buzJxbRjw4y3_hxHY/edit#gid=0

Also if you want to edit the spreadsheet for your stores/games/whatever, go to file and save a copy. Please DO NOT make any edits to the original and mess it up for everyone. Was adding to it yesterday and people had made some really stupid edits, like naming every store best buy.
You can protect cells from being edited. I recommend doing so for the name of stores and prices once they are inputted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHrF0r02j3s

You can protect cells from being edited. I recommend doing so for the name of stores and prices once they are inputted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHrF0r02j3s
I don't know who started it, but I'd recommend locking it down to view only and then have people ask for permission to edit here. Besides people doing dumb stuff there's also the concern of some asshat just trolling and messing things up when anyone with the link can edit.

The multi-platform titles tend to be either lazy ports for games that came out upwards of close to decade ago (Skyrim) -OR- games that can still be run reasonably on the hardware (which pretty much rules out most AAA games). Of the exclusives they have, none are system sellers or end up on the steaming pile of shovelware penny games.

They are not the "hot new thing" since there is lead time on game development and if you want to be on that current wave, you're already knee-deep in PS5/Scarlet dev kits.
Different strokes for different folks, keep in mind that launch titles aren’t very good in most cases besides nintendo...here’s looking at you perfect dark zero and killzone shadow fall

Any ETA on the Walmart and Gamestop Ads?
No

I'd imagine they are holding onto this so they can blow everyone else away and they are stuck with their ads. Last year, GS had some solid deals (I bought 3 games there, they were that good)... Walmart also had some solid deals.

It's become my Thankgsiving tradition to be at walmart that evening for the early sale and then come back sometime Friday to dig through the cardboard shelves of whatever dvd/br/games are left. I find it kind of fun. I'll take a cloth walmart bag (or bag from another store) or two so I don't need a buggy and can navigate the isles where buggies can't go. I don't even usually buy anything much for Christmas. It's just stuff for the house and myself for the most part. My kids usually have specific wants and I'll buy most of that on amazon unless it needs to be from a specific store like guitar center or something.

Meijer BF ad released: https://www.bfads.net/stores/meijer/ads/black-friday

notable offer is days gone for $14.99

In another matter, In the last years, Walmart released their BF ad around 16 days before the actual BF, so today should be the day.
Thanks for posting! Looks like we finally got a deal on Three Houses. Not bad for Crash Team Racing either.

That 2DS XL deal is hilariously bad though.

The ad as a whole isn't great, but it's pretty good. There are some real bangers in the housewares and toys departments.

It's a tradition for us too. My family all gets liquored up except my aunt and mom, then we ride over to whatever store we're headed to. We all have fun together.

Last year I was way too late but checked for doom/D3 anyway. My mom's car battery died and I got her a set of cables on black Friday sale. My uncle happened to be there and jumped the car. During this my best friend pulled up and I went with him for the rest of the morning looking for some jewelry for his girl. Ended up buying a bunch of records at the pawn shop and coming back home to get drunk all over again.

Black Friday might ruin employees day, but my family really makes it fun and we all go together. We talk deals and get a few newspapers in the morning real early to have physical ads to circle and show. Usually at dollar general because they have deals Thurs morning.

:) I actually enjoy it more than Xmas itself.

Does no one do like 50% off the year of PS+ or Xbox Live anymore last few years has only been the 3 months unless I'm missing it somewhere

The ad as a whole isn't great, but it's pretty good. There are some real bangers in the housewares and toys departments.
Meijer has pulled through for me a few times in recent years. It's where I got both my Wii U and my Switch.

They don't have anything for me this year, but they're definitely one to keep an eye on if you've got one nearby.

Hi, I started the spread sheet. I locked the current version. We'll consider this V1. Once more BF ads come out, I'll unlock. If people troll, we can reset back to V1. 

Walmart needs to hurry this up.
Black Friday isn't until the 29th this year. They could wait until the week before and just release it as normal, if they wanted. It's really up to an employee to leak it, if they won't. I used to work retail, and we would get all of our ads about a month in advance, and all of our merchandise for those ads anywhere from a month to three months in advance.

My mom's car battery died and I got her a set of cables on black Friday sale. My uncle happened to be there and jumped the car.

:) I actually enjoy it more than Xmas itself.
I bought the cables Walmart had last year. It was too good of a deal for a bagged set with decent thickness in the wire.

Yeah it easily rivals Christmas and in many ways beats it since I actually get stuff I want and get to be cheap about it. Usually my wife and kids (all teens or older) end up staying home... but I always run into friends and even will chat with strangers since eventually I'll end up in the massive lines eyeing what everyone picked up.

For real! And Gamestop! I'm trying to organize all my spending and wishlists for 4+ people AND my PC build this year and these two are making it more difficult.
If you've got a Microcenter nearby check out their current sale. I was browsing it and saw some great prices.

can you guys add blurays to the spreadsheet please
Just go to blu-ray.com for that. Someone is already taking their own time to make a list for games and consoles and such, they don't need/want more work believe it or not.

Definitely not trying to be snarky nor act like I somehow have this "elite" status on a fucking website where I can judge others...but this time of year can get annoying when so many random people start asking for all these different things. Innocent or not, it's a little silly to think that other people don't have lives and are just on this website to create spreadsheets or compare prices for others at any given moment. I guess it's the nature of the game but still stupid nonetheless. 

If you've got a Microcenter nearby check out their current sale. I was browsing it and saw some great prices.
Thank you so much! Sadly closest one is nearly 3 hours wish one was close this is actually going to be my first time building one and i would have rather had someone else do it so that would've really came in handy!

bread's done
Back