Black Friday - Sharp 42" 1080p LCD HDTV (LC-42SV49U) - $200

Chrono72090

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Full specs are still a mystery, but who else is planning to spend many an hour waiting at Best Buy to snag one of these babies?

i_Best-Buy_2011_Sharp-42-1080p-LCD-HDTV-LC42SV_1321823142.jpg

I was looking for a good gaming TV deal.

Does anyone know if this is going to one of those things where there is only 5 per store or something.

[quote name='WakYasuk']Yeah, this is probably the hottest bf 2011 hdtv deal....expect low quantities and lots of people.[/QUOTE]

And potential for brawls, riots, and chaos.

This is basically an off-brand TV that got Sharp's name slapped on it. It is not a SHARP TV. Ok for $200, although specs are not great...60Hz.

[quote name='WakYasuk']Yeah, this is probably the hottest bf 2011 hdtv deal....expect low quantities and lots of people.[/QUOTE]

I remember years ago (like 2005) when I worked at Circuit City people showing up at like 4pm and trying to get doorbuster deals and getting upset when we didn't have the items. The people who got those items were already like 40-50 deep when I got there around 4 am.

Of course I thought people were crazy back then for camping out for 6+ hours for a deal, but it's even worse now-a-days.

[quote name='pjb16']I remember years ago (like 2005) when I worked at Circuit City people showing up at like 4pm and trying to get doorbuster deals and getting upset when we didn't have the items. The people who got those items were already like 40-50 deep when I got there around 4 am.

Of course I thought people were crazy back then for camping out for 6+ hours for a deal, but it's even worse now-a-days.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I already saw some reports on people already camped out!
Thats just crazy...I mean, seriously they must have lots of free time.
I am looking to buy a lot this black friday...2 computers + 3d led 42 inch tv + misc...

[quote name='doubledown']This is basically an off-brand TV that got Sharp's name slapped on it. It is not a SHARP TV. Ok for $200, although specs are not great...60Hz.[/QUOTE]
Not sure where you got that idea. It's not an AQUOS, but it's still a Sharp. It's going to be better quality than store-brand TVs. It's 1080p, it has 4 HDMI inputs, PC input, USB input, Composite input, S-Video input, and RS-232C input. Less than 3-1/2" thick. Obviously, not going to be on the same level as a top-of-the-line, $1,500 TVs, but it's still an amazing value for $200, and probably better quality than anything you're going to find in that size for at least 2-3 times that cost.

It's going to be a 20 minute drive from where I'm going to be that night -- debating whether I even want to bother headed out there just to find that all the tickets are given out already.

So what is the deal with the ticket system?

Do they hand out tickets to the first ten people in line before the doors open or after?

I figure the whole opening at midnight thing might throw some people in this town off. There is a good chance that there won't be too many people waiting if I show up at 9 PM and wait a mere 3 hours.

[quote name='Dreamcastguy']So what is the deal with the ticket system?
[/QUOTE]
My mother bought a DS last year, and they handed out tickets. Not sure if it was Best Buy or not. They came out about 2 hours before opening, handed out tickets, but still made you stay in line until opening. People weren't real happy they still had to stay in line even after getting a ticket, but I guess they did the tickets just to prevent last minute cutting or whatever.

Slidecage is correct. Nutcases with nothing better to do and no jobs apparently have left their local Occupy encampments for a few days/week to camp out at Best Buy and spend their unemployment/welfare on these TVs and other things. LA has 50 or so Best Buy stores in the county, probably more, and already most if not all have people camped out in front.

If you still want that TV, your best bet is to grab your camping gear and head to the local Best Buy. If you see that there is no line formed yet, either camp out or check back daily or twice a day and start camping the moment you see others there. If the line is already 10+ people, forget that option as odds are they will also bring friends/family out to get more of the hottest items (the 42" Sharp, the iPod + GC, $80 Dynex 24", cheap laptops etc.).

If that's the case, your best chance to still get the TV would be to show up 15 minutes prior to the midnight opening Thursday night and offer $100 cash for a TV voucher/ticket. Someone with one might take you up on the offer. You might also end up causing a fistfight, riot, or brawl, which we will all enjoy watching on the BF highlight reel.

I'd rather just pay an extra $50-$100 and order it off Best Buy, or even better, wait for amazon's inevitable TV deals, one or two of which will undoubtedly be comparable.

[quote name='slidecage']hate to break it to you but in bigger cities those tvs are gone (people alreaady out camping)[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons where Homer camps out in front of the store and says "Whoo, second in line and only had to miss eight days of work." Then the guy says, "With the money you would have made working, you could have bought tickets from a scalper..."

Well my town is pretty small and maybe not everyone knows that Best Buy will be opening at midnight.

So if I can wait for 3 hours to get a deal on a TV (either the sharp or the dynex) than that will be pretty much worth it.

It's amazing how much of a difference location can make. When I bought my PS2 on launch day, I lived in the middle of nowhere. I showed up at 7:30PM (started selling at midnight), and was 2nd in line. When the PS3 came out, I lived in a college town, and went out at like 10PM two days before launch, and there wasn't a single line that wasn't full in the dozen places that were closest, regardless of whether they opened at midnight or 9AM.

People put way too much stock in refresh rate. For one, there's not a single source (cable, bluray, whatever) that you're going to watch that's over 60 frames a second. Everything above that, the TV has to create itself by combining other frames. Theoretically, it can reduce jutter, sure, but it can also create an artificial "smoothness". I know people that actually set their 120/240Hz TVs to 60Hz because they prefer it. You're not missing any real frames with a 60Hz TV, just made up ones.

i saw some of these TVs at my local bestbuy all wrapped up in black; seems like a pretty good tv but definitely not worth all the hassle you'd have to go through, I really can't think of any item that is worth camping out for unless it's shit you actually need

[quote name='madcatz1999']People put way too much stock in refresh rate. For one, there's not a single source (cable, bluray, whatever) that you're going to watch that's over 60 frames a second. Everything above that, the TV has to create itself by combining other frames. Theoretically, it can reduce jutter, sure, but it can also create an artificial "smoothness". I know people that actually set their 120/240Hz TVs to 60Hz because they prefer it. You're not missing any real frames with a 60Hz TV, just made up ones.[/QUOTE]

but..but..120 is more than 60 so it's BETTER!!!!! #-o

I love how people's time has completely ZERO value to them. Don't get me started on the campers.

I just ordered a 37" Sharp 1080p for $349 shipped. Yeah, if I spent a few hours feverishly refreshing various sites on Friday, I suppose I could've shaved a few dollars off that. But my time is worth more than a few dollars an hour to me.

Actually going to a store and fighting the mobs for a deal? Don't make me laugh. If one person in this thread actually gets that TV for $200 I'll be surprised.

This deal was good enough for me and allows me to be actually enjoying the TV on my long weekend instead of wasting time in the frenzy and having a fair chance of not coming up with anything better anyway when things sell out in seconds.

I just envision people who camp out for those tv's and deals to look something like the guy on this game when they're running to get their deal...is it wrong of me to think that?

roguetripvacation2012ntlf6.jpg

Well I think I got a decent shot. There aren't any college kids around because of the holiday. Maybe some people don't know that Best Buy is going to open at midnight. Others will be too drunk from Thanksgiving to wait in line.

I don't have any family to be with on Thanksgiving so honestly I got nothing going on that night.

I will go to Best Buy at 9 PM and see if there is a line of people. If there isn't too big of a line I can wait for 3 hours listening to podcasts and maybe reading a book. I will also bring a folding chair.

[quote name='alamak']I love how people's time has completely ZERO value to them. Don't get me started on the campers.

I just ordered a 37" Sharp 1080p for $349 shipped. Yeah, if I spent a few hours feverishly refreshing various sites on Friday, I suppose I could've shaved a few dollars off that. But my time is worth more than a few dollars an hour to me.

Actually going to a store and fighting the mobs for a deal? Don't make me laugh. If one person in this thread actually gets that TV for $200 I'll be surprised.

This deal was good enough for me and allows me to be actually enjoying the TV on my long weekend instead of wasting time in the frenzy and having a fair chance of not coming up with anything better anyway when things sell out in seconds.[/QUOTE]

That sounds pretty damn good. Any chance for a link/description on coupons etc.?

I'm in the market for a TV for the breakfast room - wifey told me "no more than $600 tops" to spend. I have a really nice Sharp Aquos 42" in the master bedroom that I would bring down if I can find a GREAT deal on an equal size or larger TV. I would strongly prefer to buy off of amazon as I have a few hundred in GC's and credit there already.

Anyone seen anything truly compelling in this price range (up to $600) for 40, 42" or greater? I basically want the best bang for my buck for the bedroom, or if I can't find anything like that will probably spend less ($400 or under) and get as good a TV as possible for the breakfast room (42" or less).

[quote name='Dreamcastguy']Well I think I got a decent shot. There aren't any college kids around because of the holiday. Maybe some people don't know that Best Buy is going to open at midnight. Others will be too drunk from Thanksgiving to wait in line.

I don't have any family to be with on Thanksgiving so honestly I got nothing going on that night.

I will go to Best Buy at 9 PM and see if there is a line of people. If there isn't too big of a line I can wait for 3 hours listening to podcasts and maybe reading a book. I will also bring a folding chair.[/QUOTE]

That's what YOU think. They will be just drunk enough to wait in line, and/or getting drunk while waiting in line. Mix all that with very limited quantities, inhibitions lowered/belligerence increased, cold and discomfort, impatience, and let the good times roll!!!

[quote name='PR Mega X']I've heard all of those words before, but never in that order.[/QUOTE]

is just another sign that 2012 is the end :)

[quote name='mr_bungle']I just envision people who camp out for those tv's and deals to look something like the guy on this game when they're running to get their deal...is it wrong of me to think that?

roguetripvacation2012ntlf6.jpg
[/QUOTE]

i think that dude was standing in line for a week and then found out ..

NO SHOES you cant get into best buy so he is running to get some shoes :)

[quote name='JediKiller24']Went to my little podunk Best Buy this morning to pick up Super 8 on blu ray, and was amazed to see 4 people camped out all ready. :roll:[/QUOTE]

It would be interesting to get a poll of Best Buy campers to see what they are targeting picking up (besides the TV obviously). Best Buy seems to be throwing down the guantlet with what appear to be some seriously good deals - the 42" Sharp 1080p LCD for $200, the Dynex 24" LCD for $80, the usual laptop deals, a couple of hard drives and tablets, the iPod + GC, and some good blu/DVD and game deals.

Dang, I just saw a commercial specifically promoting the Sharp deal. Dammit.

If it was just promoted on the Internet then there might have been a slim chance.

I will stop by Best Buy briefly to see if there is a line at around 9 PM but I have a feeling that there is gonna be a huge line.

Hopefully there will be a good deal online somewhere for a TV.

Also after brief consideration karkyco is probably right. There is gonna be so many drunk people on the road...http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=77307

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']the reviews on this tv over at bestbuy.com make it sound HIDEOUS ![/QUOTE]

There are no reviews on the 42" Sharp LCD doorbuster TV on bestbuy.com. EDIT: ah, never mind, two show up when you actually click on the TV. In the search list, it shows "no reviews". Hmmm, could be people trying to convince others not to camp out for the TV , though there is certainly truth to the saying "you get what you pay for".

It's listed at $499.99 - I wouldn't be surprised if they put up fliers saying the advertised price of $200 is a mistake, LOL (like they did for SW:TFU USE last year). Maybe it's really $299 or more.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']the reviews on this tv over at bestbuy.com make it sound HIDEOUS ![/QUOTE]

Doesn't sound like either of those reviewers actually used the TV

I have a bunch of friends who plan on getting this TV. I'm not going to bother... Good deal, but not worth the crazy Best Buy line of doom...

I'll let you know how it goes.

i wonder if these are a special buy.. meaning if you stand in line you get home.. tv is busted will best buy give you another one or say

Sorry we only had 15 of them at that prices here is your 200 back.. if you want a working one pay 500

Apparently there has been a couple standing/camping at a Best Buy near me since 11/14... Don't people have better things to do? Like work?

And if you don't work, how can you afford a $200 tv???

[quote name='fireseal859']Apparently there has been a couple standing/camping at a Best Buy near me since 11/14... Don't people have better things to do? Like work?

And if you don't work, how can you afford a $200 tv???[/QUOTE]

Actually, most people plan their vacation time just for this or they send relatives and swap waiting in line with each other.

America, **** yeah!

[quote name='binici']Actually, most people plan their vacation time just for this or they send relatives and swap waiting in line with each other.

America, **** yeah![/QUOTE]

I got better things to do then spend my vacation time camped out in front of a retail location... This is so lame in my opinion.

[quote name='slidecage']i wonder if these are a special buy.. meaning if you stand in line you get home.. tv is busted will best buy give you another one or say

Sorry we only had 15 of them at that prices here is your 200 back.. if you want a working one pay 500[/QUOTE]It has a one-year warranty on it. You'd likely have to deal with Sharp to get it repaired on-site.

Even if it was a refurb, it would have a 90 day warranty on it.

[quote name='buster90']The things people to do save a few bucks for a subpar TV.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, LOL. Not to mention subpar laptops and a host of other things. News had one of these inbred peonsdistinguished individuals on, complaining that he had been "mocked mercilessly" by shoppers going in and out of the Best Buy. He said "They ask me 'don't you have better things to do than waste all this time camping out to save a few bucks on useless crap?' They just don't understand that I'M SAVING LOTS OF MONEY BY BEING HERE!!!"

bread's done
Back