Black Friday Weak

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
Black Friday Week was pretty BF weak imo. Don't get me wrong there were some good deals to be had, and I still think Amazon will come through late with some good stuff. Like a fireworks show maybe, saving the best for last. I can hope.

Anyway there are a few big reasons BF overall sucked this year. IMO those reasons are:

1. The prices. They weren't all that compelling. Games can be had relatively easily for $40 within a month of release anymore anyway so that's part of the reason for the perception of crappy prices. Other than that the prices just weren't anything too spectacular. Skyrims $53 price?! Is that a joke? Also Blus were overpriced. Lion King/Cars 2 BF "deal" was $17? Come on man.

2. The non deals/barely existent deals. This is what kills it for me. Skyrim, Modern Warfare 3, Saints Row the Third. Where are the deals?? Am I seriously not even going to see a $40 price on Saints Row The Third? REALLY?

And the 3DS "deals". Target had a decent price of $145, buy.com via ebay had a little better at $130 which obviously didnt last for too long...but overall I was not thrilled with the prices on the 3DS.

3. Amazon. I'm not going to ramble on but they are normally better than this. They failed BF both technically and deal-wise. I hope they learn and do much better next year.

Having said all that, there were some fantastic deals to be had:

$15 Dance Central 2
$200 PS3/Xbox deals
$8 3 month live cards
Uncharted 3 $30, Batman $28
Full Seasons of many shows for $10
$15 Halo Reach LE
3DS for $100 if you live in Texas..

So what are your thoughts on BF this year?

Saints Row The Third came out last week. Skyrim came out less than 2 weeks. I think people expectation were a little too high. Games that came out 1-2 months dropped to $30 range which is about right.

My problem is older games not getting cheaper. GoW Collection is $15. 2 years ago I got it for $10.

I can see that. I still expect more from BF. Part of the problem is that last year there were not as many quality releases, and the ones that were (Red Dead, Mass Effect 2) released much earlier in the year.

This year we have Skyrim, Batman, Uncharted, Skyward Sword and many other very very good releases (Saints Row, Rayman, others) all releasing at the end of the year. Half of which did get pretty good/very good deals.

I thought it was weak from a gaming standpoint. I definitely bought more movies myself this year. I only thought there were 3 deals that I got that were worth it to me:

$15 each for Dance Central 2 & Kinect Sports Season 2
$28 Forza 4 (I think this is killer because now I don't have to open my CE to play because that would decrease the value since it is kinda rare).

Movie wise though man... $5 and $10 Blu-Rays were awesome.

A deal on MW3 wasn't going to happen. Not at the rate it was flying off shelves at $60. Retailers would be stupid to give any more than a few dollar discount on it. It is a juggernaut and I don't think we will see a deal till like late Jan or Feb at this rate.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']I thought it was weak from a gaming standpoint. I definitely bought more movies myself this year. I only thought there were 3 deals that I got that were worth it to me:

$15 each for Dance Central 2 & Kinect Sports Season 2
$28 Forza 4 (I think this is killer because now I don't have to open my CE to play because that would decrease the value since it is kinda rare).

Movie wise though man... $5 and $10 Blu-Rays were awesome.

A deal on MW3 wasn't going to happen. Not at the rate it was flying off shelves at $60. Retailers would be stupid to give any more than a few dollar discount on it. It is a juggernaut and I don't think we will see a deal till like late Jan or Feb at this rate.[/QUOTE]
Thats true some of the movie deals were awesome. I got almost everything I wanted. Also got some stuff I didnt even realize I had wanted until I saw it, which is what BF is all about to me. Seeing the ridiculously low prices and thinking "yeah I'm going to get that just to check it out". I'd never normally buy seasons of shows and particularly not shows like pretty little liars but there I was at Walmart and those girls on the cover were screaming IM YOURS FOR ONLY $10!!! So of course I couldnt resist. Also picked up Glee which I've only seen an episode or 2 of. And Fringe which I've never seen at all..

[quote name='ShockandAww']Thats true some of the movie deals were awesome. I got almost everything I wanted. Also got some stuff I didnt even realize I had wanted until I saw it, which is what BF is all about to me. Seeing the ridiculously low prices and thinking "yeah I'm going to get that just to check it out". I'd never normally buy seasons of shows and particularly not shows like pretty little liars but there I was at Walmart and those girls on the cover were screaming IM YOURS FOR ONLY $10!!! So of course I couldnt resist. Also picked up Glee which I've only seen an episode or 2 of. And Fringe which I've never seen at all..[/QUOTE]

I like both Glee & Fringe. And TV shows for cheap... :drool:

I impulse bought Always Sunny At Wal-Mart after deciding not to do the Amazon Lightning Deal for it...

I bought a decent amount of tv shows and movies so I'm happy. The only shows I wish they would have had deals on were: 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Parks and Recreation. If they would have had the seasons for $10 each I would have bough all of all of them.

Wasn't impressed with the games, didn't see any blu rays I needed on the cheap (last year I cleaned up on BRs), and Amazon didn't match any of the cheap BR player deals. Spent a whopping $0 this BF (my bank account is pleased!)

TV on DVD was either priced low around $8 or kind of high around $13. I paid $15 for many TV on DVD sets in past years around Black Friday, but with DVD on the way out and with a lot of earlier seasons being sub-$10, $13 feels like not that spectacular of a deal.

I'm sure most of these DVD on TV sets will pop up for sub-$15 in 2012 before next year. So if you can watch them before then, great, but if not, it doesn't seem like its worth it to add them to any TV/DVD backlog because they're not so cheap now and should only be getting cheaper.

And on the note of DVD going out, you just can't temp me with $6 or $10 movie DVDs anymore, event for newer releases. It might be the best price for right now, but those prices should be a lot lower. Its especially insulting when the Blu-rays are just a couple of bucks more or in some cases, cheaper.

This holiday was a steal for me some guy just sold me Ass Rev, Skyrim and MW 3 all for $55 from craigslist! I almost bought these from gamestop B2G1 I saved 45 bucks from this random joe!

I thought it was too good to be true so we met in public. He told me he had some connections if I needed other new releases!

The only thing I didn't get was how last year GOW Collection was ~$10 but now it's suddenly jumped up. Shouldn't prices go down?

Also, there were some darn good bluray/dvd sales. But yeah, I felt that overall this Black Friday was weaker than other years.

[quote name='CaoPi']This holiday was a steal for me some guy just sold me Ass Rev, Skyrim and MW 3 all for $55 from craigslist! I almost bought these from gamestop B2G1 I saved 45 bucks from this random joe!

I thought it was too good to be true so we met in public. He told me he had some connections if I needed other new releases![/QUOTE]

Ever think maybe it was a "steal" for him, too. Don't know many people (not in the industry) who have connections which let them get new release games below wholesale dealer cost.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Ever think maybe it was a "steal" for him, too. Don't know many people (not in the industry) who have connections which let them get new release games below wholesale dealer cost.[/QUOTE]

CaoPi didn't say they weren't used copies.

I'm pretty disappointed with how Amazon handled the Kinect Bundles with the giftcard, I still don't think they had more than a few hundred available at a time.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Ever think maybe it was a "steal" for him, too. Don't know many people (not in the industry) who have connections which let them get new release games below wholesale dealer cost.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='soonersfan60']True, but the guy said he can get more...[/QUOTE]

Yea, I see now that I misread the last sentence.

I was able to grab a PSP for $102 after taxes and red card at Target. I called at noon and 2 hours later there was only 1/4 left in stock. Good thing I headed out early!

bread's done
Back