Black Wii 49.99 with trade in....

Wow! You mean to say I can spend more money to replace my worthless white Wii with a worthless BLACK one?! YES!

i picked up mine last night after work...looks great

my wii was on its last leg and wouldnt read dual layer discs anymore (luckily it did read SSBB at GS when he checked it)

i never used the store channel, the only thing i lost were a few gamesaves like SSBB and Mario Kart

honestly, I dont play any of my wii ware games anymore...all 3 of them and the only files I'd really miss would be from Mario Kart. However, I hardly play my wii anymore so there's no reason to give GS $50 + my extra controllers just to have a black box collect dust next to the 360.

Great deal for someone who doesn't have wii motion plus, sports resort, and a very abused Wii.

I did the trade today and it worked out okay. If anyone is interested in the exact breakdown - and I'm not sure if they all will ring it up like this, but:

Wii System - Complete - $115
($80 + $35 Promo Bonus)
Wii Nunchuck - $10.72
($7.25 + $2.75 Promo Bonus + $0.72 Edge)
Wii Remote - $26.35
($13.50 + $11.50 Promo Bonus + $1.35 Edge)
-------
Used Trade Total - $152.07

I also had a $10 game to trade in, and a $20 game to return....so it ended up not being too bad. They DID let me trade in and buy back my own wiimote and nunchuck. I know, not ideal, but it was still a bit cheaper than buying a new set or having to go back and buy a used set later. At least I know mine worked well and were clean. BUT, one thing I did not think about because I thought they wouldn't let me buy back my own stuff... is that if you want to keep your Miis, you can only save them to remote....so if you plan on buying your own remote back like I did, you can just load them onto one of the remotes and buy that one back. Not like Miis are hard to redo, but just FYI. I didn't get a receipt back for my own stuff that I bought back, but it was $44.98 total for the remote and nunchuck. Yeah, that sucks but I already have Wii Sports and Wii Sports resort and I can sell those for $25-$35 each, so in the end...I break even. And I have new, warrantied, black Wii.

And yes, it is a huge fingerprint magnet (and so is the remote). But I've been using an iPod touch and an iPad for a while now so I'm used to wiping off fingerprints. :) It's just so nice to have a quiet machine again!

Oh, and one other thing to note about transferring game saves - You have to play the original game on the new console at least one time before it will let you move the save off the SD card and onto your hard drive. I didn't expect that. Not a big deal, but I had some saves from games I rented that I thought I might buy later and now I can't move those - so that might be something to keep in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='imacjenn']I did the trade today and it worked out okay. If anyone is interested in the exact breakdown - and I'm not sure if they all will ring it up like this, but:

Wii System - Complete - $115
($80 + $35 Promo Bonus)
Wii Nunchuck - $10.72
($7.25 + $2.75 Promo Bonus + $0.72 Edge)
Wii Remote - $26.35
($13.50 + $11.50 Promo Bonus + $1.35 Edge)
-------
Used Trade Total - $152.07

I also had a $10 game to trade in, and a $20 game to return....so it ended up not being too bad. They DID let me trade in and buy back my own wiimote and nunchuck. I know, not ideal, but it was still a bit cheaper than buying a new set or having to go back and buy a used set later. At least I know mine worked well and were clean. BUT, one thing I did not think about because I thought they wouldn't let me buy back my own stuff... is that if you want to keep your Miis, you can only save them to remote....so if you plan on buying your own remote back like I did, you can just load them onto one of the remotes and buy that one back. Not like Miis are hard to redo, but just FYI. I didn't get a receipt back for my own stuff that I bought back, but it was $44.98 total for the remote and nunchuck. Yeah, that sucks but I already have Wii Sports and Wii Sports resort and I can sell those for $25-$35 each, so in the end...I break even. And I have new, warrantied, black Wii.

And yes, it is a huge fingerprint magnet (and so it the remote). But I've been using an iPod touch and an iPad for a while now so I'm used to wiping off fingerprints. :) It's just so nice to have a quiet machine again![/QUOTE]

Yeah thats sort of like my situation except I just had a ton of extra store credit so it was worth it for me. Rather than buy back my used white ones I sucked it up and just got a new set of black ones, more expensive, but having the credit to spare made it slightly worth it (no tax). Also I already had a motion plus from the red steel 2 bundle (which I also got from gamestop during the coupon stacking website fiasco for only $40) so I added that to the trade in (which was $11 after edge). ended up with a brand new wii and a complete set of 2 new black controllers with all the accessories (nunchuck/motion plus). Not a bad deal, a tad bit more expensive than most people might like but I'm pretty happy with all the promotions/coupons/etc etc that Gamestop has had for the past 2 months including this one.

My recipt was also rung up that way exactly - slightly confusing at first

Terrible deal IMO. But I just sold my Wii for 200 to get the black one. Still have all my games, a wiimote, nunchuck, classic controller, and wii wheel but now I probably won't be able to get the new Wii 'cuza other issues. lol

[quote name='Dysheekie']I just found out that Sears is matching this deal. They will give you a pair of black socks if you trade in your white pair and pay and extra 20 bucks.[/QUOTE]

The only post in this thread that makes sense to me. Not meaning to troll, I just don't understand color obsession. If you do prefer a black wii though, this is probably the best deal you'll find if you currently own a wii (and haven't spend a ton on virtual console and wiiware). A Gamestop employee also suggested that the increase in wiimote and nunchuck trade-ins from the deal will likely cause the price of these used to fall. If so, it may still be a good deal even if you have to repurchase the accessories.

Well I like the color black as much as a lot of people do, but there is no way I am losing my saves and my downloads just for a new color. I mean not all saves can be transfered to an SD slot (which is pretty lame Nintendo!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Bah, I might have bit on this if it wasn't for my dozen or so downloads. Would be nice to replace my launch Wii with a new one in warranty, don't have Resort, could use the Motion Plus, and I actually have an extra wiimote/nunchuk laying around.

... but, losing what's probably near $100 in VC/WiiWare games is just out of the question. *sigh*

[quote name='rockstarnati']Terrible deal IMO. But I just sold my Wii for 200 to get the black one. Still have all my games, a wiimote, nunchuck, classic controller, and wii wheel but now I probably won't be able to get the new Wii 'cuza other issues. lol[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if you can sell your used Wii for $200, that would be the better option. I don't think I ever would have been able to sell mine to a regular person with the noise it was making though.

[quote name='Relysis']The only post in this thread that makes sense to me. Not meaning to troll, I just don't understand color obsession. If you do prefer a black wii though, this is probably the best deal you'll find if you currently own a wii (and haven't spend a ton on virtual console and wiiware). A Gamestop employee also suggested that the increase in wiimote and nunchuck trade-ins from the deal will likely cause the price of these used to fall. If so, it may still be a good deal even if you have to repurchase the accessories.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is about "color obsession" for most people - it's about wanting a new machine, if yours is older or faulty, or even if yours is okay but you don't like being out of warranty

[quote name='imacjenn']I don't think this is about "color obsession" for most people - it's about wanting a new machine, if yours is older or faulty, or even if yours is okay but you don't like being out of warranty[/QUOTE]

thats why im doing it, i need a new machine, mines super loud for some reason, and everyone who plays it swears thats something is wrong with it(i dont know what that would be?) but regardless, $50 for a new machine, LOL theres peanut butter in my nunchuck! :D

bread's done
Back