Blazblue: Continuum Shift 2 does not use the analog stick

Logain8955

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Since we don't have a BBCS2 thread, I wanted to warn you guys.

Really, really, disappointed. I was super looking forward to this to. The d-pad does not hold up. I can't even pull off Tsubaki's bread and butter combos. (Her 5CC->236A->214A is impossible to do on that shit d-pad.)

Don't buy it. I immediately asked if I could return it at Gamestop. Then I called Aksys Games, WHILE IN GAMESTOP, to complain.

One stupid design decision sinks the entire thing.

Really...no circle pad support? That's odd. I never played BlazBlue so I don't know what it's like fighting there. Do some of their moves involve directions that go diagonal and/or in arcs?

Didn't someone also say it has no online matches? That'd suck if that's so.

After hearing this, maybe I should read some reviews before making this blind buy....

Last edited by a moderator:
No online.

Inputs in BB are like Street Fighter (lots of fireballs and dragon punches), but with very few charge moves, if any, and an input I haven't seen in SF, 632146 (Half circle back, forward), which was a bitch to learn how to do on the d-pad.

Honestly, BB is my favorite fighter. It's fast and technical and a blast on PS3/360. If you're a new player, you probably won't notice what I'm bitching about. If you're a fan with an arcade stick, you'll bitch up and down that your combos keep dropping.

Combos require speed and precise timing. For example, that Tsubaki combo I was talking about is written out like this, using 3DS buttons:

Standing XX -> crouching XX -> Standing AA -> Fireball forward Y -> Fireball backward Y -> Crouch Crouch A.

That's a basic combo. The high end ones are much, much more indepth.

That's what's pissing me off here. ArcSys knows they have a technical fighter here, then they remove the natural control method for it.

Edit: Here's a Tsubaki combo video. Most of this stuff is impractical for matches, but it is possible. Maybe this'll demonstrate more of what I was trying to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_GRoKg5Aas

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Logain8955']Since we don't have a BBCS2 thread, I wanted to warn you guys.

Really, really, disappointed. I was super looking forward to this to. The d-pad does not hold up. I can't even pull off Tsubaki's bread and butter combos. (Her 5CC->236A->214A is impossible to do on that shit d-pad.)

Don't buy it. I immediately asked if I could return it at Gamestop. Then I called Aksys Games, WHILE IN GAMESTOP, to complain.

One stupid design decision sinks the entire thing.[/QUOTE]

I actually knew this going into it and thats NOT fully true. It does use the pad but for pointless stuff like taunts. I also have no problem doing most of the challenges =\ I mean its def a stupid move... but more than possible to play well

I always have been a D-Pad user, so im hoping i dont have any issues with it.

Though, currently im just hoping i still get the game

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Intimidating, very intimidating....

Thanks for the examples, Logain. Sorry to hear it's such a letdown. :cry:[/QUOTE]

I've been playing it some more, since I couldn't return it and trading it in at gamestop for NINE DOLLARS was simply not going to happen.

It's beginning to grow on me. It's still BB. I think the problem is that I'm a fanboy. I bought a stick specifically for BB, played hundreds of matches (in CT at least, CS's netcode doesn't work well for me), learned characters, read through all the story stuff, etc, etc, etc.

The new legion's better than what it was on PS3 and the abyss is kinda neat, you like buy upgrades for your character and progress through a survival type mode.

It's just the control that's in the bloody way. If you use a d-pad anyway, it's still worth buying. It's taken me some time to get used to some of the d-pad movements, I can break out the half circle back, forward moves most of the time now. Makoto's Astral Heat is going to be tough, it's quarter circle forward, half circle back, A. Tried once and horribly whiffed it.

I was expecting a fully functional BB for travel and pooping. It'll do the job, but it could have been more.

Oh, here's what that Astral looks like on the consoles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFDFMCoHHAc&feature=related

I got SSFIV at launch, and while it's a quick and fun diversion, the stick and the dpad sucks. Some movements feel easier on the stick and some movements feel easier on the dpad. Either way, it's a pain. It'll be the one and only fighting game for me for this system.

[quote name='Antipodes']I got SSFIV at launch, and while it's a quick and fun diversion, the stick and the dpad sucks. Some movements feel easier on the stick and some movements feel easier on the dpad. Either way, it's a pain. It'll be the one and only fighting game for me for this system.[/QUOTE]
Dead or Alive works really well. When I say that, I feel with Dead or Alive I can pull off any move in the game with ease (well control wise, not skill wise :lol:).

It's a shame BlazBlue doesn't have d-pad support. The PS3 version is a great fighter.

bread's done
Back