Blizzard does digital downloads better than anyone - visit the new store!

Roufuss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
102 (100%)
Why do they do them better than anyone?

Because you can register your retail key from the versions you bought 10 years ago, and add them to your account to be downloadable any time you want, both Mac and PC version!

And in the case of Starcraft, it automatically gives you the expansion!

Kudos to Blizzard, it's a real shame Steam doesn't do this.

You can register Diablo 2 and expansion (though they aren't ready to be downloaded yet), Starcraft + Exp, Warcraft 3 + Exp.

Www.blizzard.com/store

Very awesome, kudos to Blizzard!

I saw lots of comments somewhere (some game/computer related site) that complained that people tried to register their stuff, got some sort of invalid message, and then couldn't download/register their old games.

I'm holding off for a few weeks until that is resolved.

Is the code forever connected to the account that registered it? Or can it be deactivated and transfered?

[quote name='Strell']I saw lots of comments somewhere (some game/computer related site) that complained that people tried to register their stuff, got some sort of invalid message, and then couldn't download/register their old games.

I'm holding off for a few weeks until that is resolved.[/QUOTE]

This happened to me on Diablo 2.. the trick is that you *need* to use CAPS on the letter, and not use hyphens.

I did Diablo 2 in all lowercase letters, and it wouldn't take, got the error message - did it with caps, and it worked fine.

I registered every Blizzard game I could on the store, and it worked perfectly besides that one snafu which was my fault.

Starcraft is just numbers, so it shouldn't be a problem at all.

[quote name='Roufuss']Because you can register your retail key from the versions you bought 10 years ago, and add them to your account to be downloadable any time you want, both Mac and PC version![/quote]

Uh, Steam did this already. I registered my retail key for Counter-Strike years ago and it's forever on my Steam account. I wish they would all just use Steam to have it all on one place.

yeah, my SC and WC3/TFT keys are now safely stored online. Couple this with the fact that running the games no longer require the cd, now we can all throw away our cds

[quote name='Hostile']Uh, Steam did this already. I registered my retail key for Counter-Strike years ago and it's forever on my Steam account. I wish they would all just use Steam to have it all on one place.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I wasn't aware that Valve did this even with all their super old games, since I've always just had the Steam versions from the huge HL 2 release bundle back in the day.

As much as I love Steam, I still think Blizzard's system was a lot more hassle free and didn't involve another program to do it, plus the fact it took my 10 year old Starcraft CD with no problem.

I've grown to accept we will never have a world where everyone uses Steam for their PC needs.

And besides, if these were on Steam, you sure as hell couldn't register your old CD Key's to get it to work... if you wanted digital distribution, you'd have to buy it again.

where do i type this in? I have oodles of cdkeys for blizzard games I lost the discs for, or are scratched to shit

[quote name='BasketCase1080']where do i type this in? I have oodles of cdkeys for blizzard games I lost the discs for, or are scratched to shit[/QUOTE]

1) Go to www.blizzard.com/store
2) Log in or make an account
3) Go to "My Account"
4) Verify your account by using the button on that page to email yourself
5) Go to "Games" on the My Account button

The rest should be pretty simple.

I had the same problem, don't worry!

Finally can play my Blizzard games (and hopefully StarCraft II) without the cd-key now. \o/

But WTF did they do to the War3 installer? It looks ugly. :(

Man wish I had a TFT key I lost my case (damn you Blizzard for not comming out with this earlier)

Does somebody wanna share? Or donate a key? Its the game I play the most (ill play on west only)

Once you download it in this matter, do you still have to use the CD to play? I'd dig having Diablo 2 up for play any time without having to dink around with CD's

[quote name='ZForce']Once you download it in this matter, do you still have to use the CD to play? I'd dig having Diablo 2 up for play any time without having to dink around with CD's[/QUOTE]

Nope, don't need the CD anymore.

Awesome, thanks for the news. I too often have a craving for Diablo 2 but don't want to dig out the disc, put away whatever is currently in my computer, etc. This method will be great for short sessions.

[quote name='Roufuss']Eh, I wasn't aware that Valve did this even with all their super old games, since I've always just had the Steam versions from the huge HL 2 release bundle back in the day.

As much as I love Steam, I still think Blizzard's system was a lot more hassle free and didn't involve another program to do it, plus the fact it took my 10 year old Starcraft CD with no problem.

I've grown to accept we will never have a world where everyone uses Steam for their PC needs.

And besides, if these were on Steam, you sure as hell couldn't register your old CD Key's to get it to work... if you wanted digital distribution, you'd have to buy it again.[/quote]

Yeah, I bought a HL1 deluxe collection during the summer of 2001 and it rolled into my Steam account no problem.

Awesome though. I'll be adding my StarCraft and Diablo keys into the system within the next week.

However there's a major caveat with buying third-party Steam games at retail: most of them don't allow you to register with Steam. For example, I got Railroads! for $6 at CC but Steam doesn't accept the access code to tie it into my account. Dark Messiah, however, accepts the code and ties it to your account. So Steam's pretty uneven in that regard.

Yea, it'd be sweet to have a "global" steam type of program.

One that stores your keys in a place you can easily retrieve, backs up the files and removes CD checks so you can play off your HD, allows you to launch any specified program (games), and also has the option to automatically update the games with the latest patches etc.

My problem with both Steam and this is I lend my games to friends/family and they would be forced to use my account if I decide to input my CD keys. My Counter-Strike is on a Steam account that my cousin uses now and I can never get that back even though I have the CD key/case in my house.

bread's done
Back