Blockbuster 2 for $20 ($14.99 and below) and 4 for $20 ($9.99 and below)

dafunkk12

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
UPDATE 7/25: 3 for $20 has become 2 for $20. Reports are that 4 for $20 continues.

Oh no, if the 75% games weren't enough, my Blockbusters (and judging by another thread, this deal may vary) have another great sale on DVD's.

All $14.99 (and below) DVD's are 3 2 for $20, and all $9.99 (and below) DVD's are 4 for $20.

They may have bins and tables set up, but it includes all their used DVD's, so if they have a section of the store set up just to sell DVD's, don't forget to look on those racks.

The signage says this is their best sale ever, or something along those lines, and I really have to agree. I don't think I saw a used movie that wasn't more than $14.99 anyway, aside from multi-disc TV sets. Plus, it seems new releases are being sold used sooner than ever. Of course stock and selection vary by store. The clerk said he really doesn't expect the good movies to last long, so if you're looking for something relatively obscure and specific, better hit the pavement! I know I dropped more GR credit on movies than games, and I only just looked through the A-G titles!

The last standout sale price I remember was 3 for $25 on $14.99 and below sometime in February, I think.

My BlockBuster had something like this maybe a week and a half ago. I can't remember the exact details, but I believe it may have been this same thing.

Are we going to start listing our purchases? As I said, I don't think there's much that doesn't qualify for either deal (aside from multi-disc TV series), and selection varies by store. The great majority of these are blind buys. They also have numerous non-obscure, non-ancient $4.99 and $5.99 movies, which you should obviously not use as any of your four sub-$10 movies.

I'll go ahead and list sticker prices.

Red Eye $12.99
Mr. and Mrs. Smith (old version) $14.99
Pretty Persuasion $12.99

All I Want $9.99
All or Nothing $9.99
D.E.B.S. $9.99
Me & You & Everyone We Know $9.99

Avalon $9.99
Havoc $9.99
Mad Hot Ballroom $9.99
11:14 $9.99

Dark Water (Japanese version) $9.99
Roll Bounce $9.99
Kung Fu Mahjong 2 $9.99
Butterfly Effect $9.99

My Date with Drew $4.99
Resident Evil Apocalypse $4.99

[quote name='Luthien']My store has buy 3 get 3 free right now.[/QUOTE]
Hmm... So many incongruous sales. I wonder what's going on?

I need to get over to Blockbuster as soon as I can. i went there today to lok over the selection.And they had some surprising good dvds:

4 for $20

3 Extremes 2
Ringu 0
Ringu 2
Rasen

3 For $20

Brokeback Mountain
Munich
Chronicles of Narnia
The Ringer
Motorcycle Diaries
Streetcar Named Desire
Carnival of Souls (Criterion)
OldBoy
some other Foreign movie(forgot the name of it)

But man OldBoy, StreetCar Named Desire,and Carnival of Souls(Criterion) all for $20???

They only had 1 copy of each too. :( Need to get some money.........

Venom was a rather good horror movie.... It had fun with it's setting and some of the kills were sweet. Plus it's better than most of the horror crap released in theaters in the past 3 years.

Oh and I hate your Blockbuster for carrying 3 Extremes for 9.99

[quote name='wolverinefactor']Venom was a rather good horror movie.... It had fun with it's setting and some of the kills were sweet. Plus it's better than most of the horror crap released in theaters in the past 3 years.
[/QUOTE]

Ahem.............

Hills Have Eyes
High Tension
The Skeleton Key

hell even though there not great movies, Wolf Creek and Hostel are better than the crap that is Venom. But if you like it, w/e. Its nowhere near $5.00.

Skeleton Key was more of a thriller than a horro movie. Hills Have Eyes was great. High tension sucked and was a total ripoff of Velocity.

To each their own of course. What did you think of Mindhunters?

Oh and Wolf Creek and Hostel weren't very good. (Hostel flat out sucked while WC was boring but had a good 20 minutes in it).

Most of them though have crappy endings...

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Is Lord of War any good?[/quote]IMO, it was "meh". If you are expecting an action adventure type movie, don't get it. If I remember correctly, it was a narrative.

Just went back since it just opened (was flooded since last night)....

3 for $20

Match point
In Her Shoes
Vanity Fair

4 for $20

Merchant of Venice
The Wedding Date
Hostage
Deuce Bigalow 2

So I ended up getting:

4 for $20

3 Extremes 2
Ringu 0
Ringu 2
Preminition

3 For $20

Brokeback Mountain
Munich
The Ringer
OldBoy
Addicted

If I have any extra cash tommorow I hope to get some more.

:)

This deal rocks.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Is Lord of War any good?[/QUOTE]

I personally loved the movie. It's not an action movie despite what the title may suggest. It's actually rather humorous in several parts. I highly recommend it.

Didn't see this thread until today, but on Tuesday we picked up some movies.

It's a good sale, but I don't think it has anything to do with 4th of July. Blockbuster run's good sales every once in a while to get rid of surplus.

Anybody been able to find a used copy of the 2-disc Initial D live action movie at their stores? My stores here had 2-3 available to rent when it first came out in January, but seems it's popular enough (I guess is the rationale) that they aren't selling any extras yet.

Picked up
3 for 20
The ringer
Wedding Crashers
Hostel

4 for 20
March of the Penguins
Devil's Rejects
Black Orpheus (Criterion)
Fantastic 4

will probably get more when I can find a combination of the following 3 at any store
Broken Flowers
Grandma's Boy
Munich
Aristocrats

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']I need to get over to Blockbuster as soon as I can. i went there today to lok over the selection.And they had some surprising good dvds:

4 for $20

3 Extremes 2
Ringu 0
Ringu 2
Rasen

3 For $20

Brokeback Mountain
Munich
Chronicles of Narnia
The Ringer
Motorcycle Diaries
Streetcar Named Desire
OldBoy
some other Foreign movie(forgot the name of it)

But man OldBoy, StreetCar Named Desire,and Carnival of Souls(Criterion) all for $20???

They only had 1 copy of each too. :( Need to get some money.........[/quote]
Which DVD version of Streetcar was it? The old 1- disc version or the new 2 disc version.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Is Lord of War any good?[/quote]

Yes very much so. odn't listen to anyone else, this is an excellent and worthwhile film to see. Very enjoyable, and though the previews barred it as an action movie, it really isn't so. so if you go thinking otherwise than you'll definitely enjoy it. I know a lot of people who misunderstood the movie and came out very disappointed because of this.

Are these movies people have been getting the 2-discer versions like Munich, etc.?

Also, has anybody seen Kiss kiss Bang Bang used at a Blockbuster yet?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Are these movies people have been getting the 2-discer versions like Munich, etc.?

Also, has anybody seen Kiss kiss Bang Bang used at a Blockbuster yet?[/QUOTE]
It seems to me that if the disc only came in a 2-disc version (at least at initial release), then that's what Blockbuster will have to sell, like my Lord of War and Resident Evil Apocalypse purchases. (Don't remember if I bought any other 2-disc movies.) However, if the movie has a single-disc version, then it seems that's what they'll have, ala the new War of the Worlds.

Ooh. That reminds me, I should check to see if they have a copy of Kinsey--hopefully the 2-disc version.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Also, has anybody seen Kiss kiss Bang Bang used at a Blockbuster yet?[/QUOTE]

Blockbuster waits 4 weeks from the release date until they put the title for sale as preowned. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was released on June 13th, so next week it will be available to be owned for preowned.

[quote name='crazynater']Blockbuster waits 4 weeks from the release date until they put the title for sale as preowned. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was released on June 13th, so next week it will be available to be owned for preowned.[/QUOTE]

Not always true. Don't forget trade-ins.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Are these movies people have been getting the 2-discer versions like Munich, etc.?

[/QUOTE]

When I worked at that horrid company, all we would do is replace the Cockbuster insert (with barcode) with the original insert and price it. So whatever version is available for rent, it would be available to buy.

Not sure if they've switched yet to the Hollywood-style inserts yet though (refuse to step foot in a franchise store).

These are all the older versions:

Streetcar Named Desire
The Fifth Element
Platoon

Still a good deal imo. Besides I like owning DISCONTINUED dvds.

:)

And the Munich I bought was single disc.

This is a great sale.

I got the following for $20:

-LA Confidential
-Crash
-Layer Cake
-Collateral

I saw these in the 3 for $20 rack:

-Good Night & Good Luck
-The Weather Man
-Fun with Dick & Jane
-Wedding Crashers
-Lord of War

I picked up

Good Night, and Good Luck
Lord of War
The Squid and the Whale
Brokeback Mountain

for 20 bucks

Good lord, I went back today and noticed that they had HUNDREDS of these movies stacked under each shelf of movies.

Every one I looked at was BRAND NEW with the exception that they're in blockbuster cases.

Picked up King Kong, Oldboy, and History of Violence today, all in mint condition.

Picked up 9 movies in the 3 for $20, should have been $63 with the sales tax but it only ended up being $58 or so. Picked up

Lord of war-2 disc
Corpse bride
4 brothers
hoodwinked
exorcism of emily rose
wolf creek
Wedding crashers
Wallace and Gromit
Hustle and Flow

Went back and got
Aristocrats
Broken Flowers (worth it JUST for the Alexis Dziena scenes...damn she is hot)
and Munich

[quote name='crazynater']Blockbuster waits 4 weeks from the release date until they put the title for sale as preowned. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was released on June 13th, so next week it will be available to be owned for preowned.[/QUOTE]

If this is true, why aren't the following available for purchase?

June 6 Release:
Firewall
Glory Road
Underworld Evolution
Dazed and Confused (Criterion)

[quote name='hotwls13']If this is true, why aren't the following available for purchase?

June 6 Release:
Firewall
Glory Road
Underworld Evolution
Dazed and Confused (Criterion)[/QUOTE]

Because those aren't big titles. They get more copies of the bigger tittles which causes them to sell them after weeks. It also depends on how well an item is renting. If it's always out then they won't sell any but as soon as the rentals slow down a few will get axed. If you're friendly to the guys they can sell almost any movie off the shelf in the sale. Most likely would be 3 for 20. Oh and mine Blockbuster doesn't get Criterions, only on trades.....

[quote name='wolverinefactor']Because those aren't big titles. They get more copies of the bigger tittles which causes them to sell them after weeks. It also depends on how well an item is renting. If it's always out then they won't sell any but as soon as the rentals slow down a few will get axed. If you're friendly to the guys they can sell almost any movie off the shelf in the sale. Most likely would be 3 for 20. Oh and mine Blockbuster doesn't get Criterions, only on trades.....[/QUOTE]

Exactly. More it rents-less chance of seeing it used. And if you rent at a corporate store, any rental title is available for purchase under their new rules. I might have to take advantage of that for the OOP Bonds.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Anyone know if Underworld Evolutions, Running Scared, or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang are avaible USEd yet? And yes I read the previous posts.[/QUOTE]

I went to BB on monday, and picked up used copies of Underworld Evo and Running Scared.

I saw one copy of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang on 7/18. It may have been a copy someone sold though, rather than a former rental.

Kiss Kiss and Underworld are now available at mine. They also had 1 copy of RUnnign Scared but it sold within the first hour. New movies are pulled on Saturday. *is hoping for Syriana*

I went into my closest BB/GR tonight after about a week or two absence and the used DVD shelves are ravaged. To be fair, it's literally across the street from a college. I'd say they're down to about a 1/3 of what they started with.

I rented Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with the 99-cent rental coupon and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, didn't find any. I guess I'll have to keep looking.

So you say they should be able to sell any movie off the shelf? Looks like it's my only opportunity to snag the live action Initial D movie two-disc for cheap. (Kinda meh movie, but I wouldn't mind having it in my collection.)

I traded in some $90 worth of games today and wound up blowing it all on movies instead of hunting for stuff to shift over to EB/GS... Well, not all of it--I still have 37 cents left on my value card.

$4.99
We Don't Live Here Anymore

4 for $20
American Splendor
This Girl's Life
Dopamine
My Architect
Taboo
3 Extremes II
Day Without A Mexican
3-Iron

3 for $20
5x2
Eros
Cast Away (2-disc)
Tennis Anyone?
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Tales from the Crypt Season 1
3 Extremes
Shopgirl
Reefer Madness

Also, I found one of those rare movies that's more than $14.99 used: Bloodrayne 2 is marked at $16.99. I think the only other over-$14.99 DVD I can remember seeing was Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

bread's done
Back