Blockbuster gives netflix subscribers free rentals

This is fuckign awesome. I am going to have to sign up for BB though, does a membership cost and is it a difficult process? Also, is there a limit on how many flaps you can bring in at a time?

There process shouldnt be that bad, its free and doesnt require a credit card; so it shouldnt take too long.

If its anything like Blockbuster's Total Access, you can bring as many flaps as you want. Ive done 7 of the Total Access rentals at one time with no problems. Its most likely just a coupon on the side of the register that they scan.

And since im sure the question is going to rise up. Returning your Netflix rentals to Blockbuster will NOT take the items out of your Netflix queue. (i know, seems really stupid for someone to ask this, but it wouldnt suprise me).

i think it does require a cred card(if you dont bring back the dvds, they charge your cred card) but i cant remember for the life of me

All the flyers and banners on the windows say no credit card required (but then maybe that just means it doesnt have to be a "credit" but can be a debit).

There was an article about this in USA Today, but they made no mention of a limited time offer:

Blockbuster, the No. 1 U.S. movie rental company, began offering free in-store rentals to subscribers of online rival Netflix on Tuesday as it tries to take market share from Netflix and reach its year-end subscriber goal. Netflix subscribers can get one free rental at Blockbuster stores for each address label they bring in from their Netflix envelopes.

[quote name='Brian9824']I checked in store today and they confirmed its good until Dec 21st.[/quote]

Awesome I managed to find 3 that i have yet to throw away. So Ill be visiting BB soon. I gotta give props to blockbuster for targeting netflix. I only wonder now if netflix will retaliate :D

[quote name='michaema']Awesome I managed to find 3 that i have yet to throw away. So Ill be visiting BB soon. I gotta give props to blockbuster for targeting netflix. I only wonder now if netflix will retaliate :D[/QUOTE]

I would think you have to actually return the MOVIE. I doubt you could give them an empty mailing envelope.

[quote name='mykevermin']So...how does this make me want to drop Netflix? If anything, it's like a bonus for subscribing to them instead of BB online.[/QUOTE]

Because this won't last forever for Netflix members. And by making you try out this movie exchange thing, you will see how great it is and want to switch to Blockbuster Online, which gives this feature to all members free of charge.

I use blockbuster and netflix. netflix selection is still MUCH greater then that of blockbuster. I mean blockbuster doesnt even have Bleach on dvd.

If there is something they don't have, just tell them about it. I'm sure there is some chance they could add something if people request it.

My point though is Bleach is basically on of the top anime's coming out this year. No excuse to NOT have it available. That would be like blockbuster not having Halo, Zelda, or Final Fantasy for rent.

I'm not on top of the latest anime, so I wouldn't know. They seem to have a great number of titles in other areas, but I have heard a few people say they are somewhat lacking in anime and foreign titles.

Wow, that's a steal.

Too bad I actually loathe the Blockbuster corp so much I wouldn't even stop to take a dump in their store (sending me to collections over $2.79 really chapped me alongside many other failures of theirs).

[quote name='Legolas813']I would think you have to actually return the MOVIE. I doubt you could give them an empty mailing envelope.[/quote]

It doesnt make sense to return a netflix movie to BLockbuster, they are not partners rather competitors. They want you to see how their total Access program works so you will consider switching to them for their "better" service. BTW you do not give them a mailing envelope just your address flap.

Yeah you're right:

Netflix subscribers who wish to participate in the program can tear off the address flaps they normally discard when mailing back their DVDs and turn them in at any participating Blockbuster store to receive a free in-store movie rental.

[quote name='Brian9824']My point though is Bleach is basically on of the top anime's coming out this year. No excuse to NOT have it available. That would be like blockbuster not having Halo, Zelda, or Final Fantasy for rent.[/quote]

sorry, not everybody keeps up with anime...

Not but anime is obviously important enough to have its own tab on their site and is a huge growing market. If a type of movie is important enough to have shelf space reserved in store for it then it makes sense that you should take the effort to make sure you have the most popular series available.

[quote name='Brian9824']Not but anime is obviously important enough to have its own tab on their site and is a huge growing market. If a type of movie is important enough to have shelf space reserved in store for it then it makes sense that you should take the effort to make sure you have the most popular series available.[/quote]

I think you are taking their lack of Anime rentals a little too seriously, you must really love your Anime... :D

Like I said, if you have a complaint or suggestion, tell it to Blockbuster. They can't make changes unless they know what is wrong.

BB is going to end up getting disappointed... Honestly, 3 DVDs at a time (works out to about 3/ week for me) for $20/month from Netflix is a very good price for me. I'd rather have a better selection of movies than the ability to get more that I'd end up not having time to watch / have to pay late fees on (the ones from the store).

Netflix ftw. (Oh and anime is actually a good genre; I used to be a skeptic as well. Just give it a chance.)

[quote name='Legolas813']Blockbuster has no late fees.[/quote]

They advertise that, but the blockbuster i used to go to before i moved, informed me they were not participating in that promotion. So thats really YMMV I guess...

I've been using Blockbuster for the past month, and I'm really liking it since they started the Total Access thing.

Netflix has a better selection in terms of Foreign Films and Anime. But I get more movies, and I get movies quicker using Blockbuster Online.

I've also been using Blockbuster for the past month and I have no complaints. getting 3 movies at a time and turning them in to the store for 3 more while 3 more ship from online is awesome. Im not too into anime either but I've had no problem renting full metal alchemist, princess mononoke and spirited away. I have yet to come across a movie I wanted to rent that wasnt available online.

I still like Netflix. Everytime I visit BB B&M they don't have any of the new releases instock so why switch.

Like someone said above me, I really dont have time to do 6 movies in 2 days. It takes Netflix 2 days to get me a new movie from the time I send it off.

[quote name='Brian9824']I use blockbuster and netflix. netflix selection is still MUCH greater then that of blockbuster. I mean blockbuster doesnt even have Bleach on dvd.[/quote]

Not to mention the absolutely atrocious (in my many experiences during any of the countless times they screwed something up) customer service at Blockbuster...

Oh and FYI i'm still having issues with blockbusters new service. Movies I return in store sometimes don't appear as recieved until 2 or 3 days have passed. Called them a few times and they keep saying its a bug and its not typical of their service.....

[quote name='PleasantOne']Not to mention the absolutely atrocious (in my many experiences during any of the countless times they screwed something up) customer service at Blockbuster...[/quote]

I've had bad experience with employees at Blockbuster stores in the past, but the customer service of their Blockbuster Online has been really outstanding.

I can't say the same about Netflix.

[quote name='yukine']I've had bad experience with employees at Blockbuster stores in the past, but the customer service of their Blockbuster Online has been really outstanding.

I can't say the same about Netflix.[/QUOTE]

I have never had a problem with Netflix customer service. If anything is missing, no questions asked I get another copy. Same goes with their used DVDs.

[quote name='Brian9824']Oh and FYI i'm still having issues with blockbusters new service. Movies I return in store sometimes don't appear as recieved until 2 or 3 days have passed. Called them a few times and they keep saying its a bug and its not typical of their service.....[/quote]

The way it's supposed to work is that when you turn in your BBO movies in store, they won't actually show as returned on your Queue. Internally, the system knows that they have been checked in at the store level, but they leave them as still out on your Queue for tracking purposes. Nonetheless, they'll still send out your next movie(s) the next day after they've been checked in at the store level (ie- it'll show you have 6 movies shipped). Once the wherehouse physically receives the movie, THEN it'll remove it from your shipped list. At least that's this Blockbuster manager's understanding of it.

[quote name='Warner1281']The way it's supposed to work is that when you turn in your BBO movies in store, they won't actually show as returned on your Queue. Internally, the system knows that they have been checked in at the store level, but they leave them as still out on your Queue for tracking purposes. Nonetheless, they'll still send out your next movie(s) the next day after they've been checked in at the store level (ie- it'll show you have 6 movies shipped). Once the wherehouse physically receives the movie, THEN it'll remove it from your shipped list. At least that's this Blockbuster manager's understanding of it.[/quote]

In theory maybe but it doesnt work like that. For instance I turned in a dvd on Wed in store. As of friday morning my next one still hasn't shipped. Also on average it takes longer for their tapes to arrive but that might just be because i'm only an hour or two away from a netflix distribution center. Taking 3-4 days compared to 1-2 for netflix.

I'm not complaining because with the total access program it even's it out a bit, just wanted to bring up that they need to fix these problems if they really want to try to knock netflix out. Its still MUCH better then blockbusters old online program.

I tried the code 1786ta on

http://www.blockbuster.com/bbfamily

It works!!

I get to rent movies online free for 4 weeks ,return them in store and get free movie rentals in store too.This is their new Total access program...

Here is how is works:
1) Visit web at http://www.blockbuster.com/bbfamily
2) Enter this Promotional code "1786ta" for 4 weeks free
3) Select your movies to your queue. The first movie will ship out that day. After you watched the movie, you can either mail back or drop in store for new one.
4) Please send this Promo code "1786ta" to your fiends and family.---------
HOW TOTAL ACCESS WORKS:
SELECT MOVIES
Make your list online from over 60,000 titles.
RECEIVE BY MAIL
Free shipping. Keep your movies as long as you want.
MAIL BACK OR EXCHANGE IN-STORE
Return by mail OR exchange in-store. Either way, we ship your next movie.
NEXT DVDS ON THE WAY
Never be without a movie.

1991ta IS A CODE THAT CAN BE USED TO GET:

1 FREE MOVIES ONLINE
2 FREE MOVIES IN STORE
3 FREE GAMES
4 FREE SHIPPING

--- ALL FREE FOR A MONTH ---

IF YOU LIKE NETFLIX, YOU'LL LOVE THIS. CHEAPER & FASTER TURNAROUND ON MOVIES

JUST GO TO BLOCKBUSTER.COM
CLICK ON FREE TRIAL
AND ENTER THE CODE AND INFORMATION