Blockbuster Movie + Games New Rental Policy

filanime03

CAGiversary!
Blockbuster has finally done something right. Now if you have a monthly plan on their movies you can now rent games with it. Here is the breakdown

By Mail 1 Disc 2 Disc 3 Disc
Movie + Games 8.99 13.99 16.99

Total Access 11.99 16.99 19.99
Movies + Games
5 + instore exchanges

Here are the links:
50% off first month
2 week free trial

This deal is a lot better than what Gamefly is offering in which
1 game for 15.99
2 game for 22.95

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sammich']Signed up for the free trial. Added a bunch of old games to my Q. Three shipped today, but they weren't the first three listed as "Available" in my Q. Not sure why that is; maybe because I re-ordered it a lot, and it went with the original order?

[/QUOTE]
In the settings (in your blockbuster account) theres an option for that.
Its set by default on "Speed" which means they will ship any game on your Q so you can have your games as fast as possible.
The other option is "Queue order" which means they will ship the games you want in order, but it might take a little longer (cause those games might not be availible).
I think the option to change that is great. would be awesome if gamefly adopted something like that.

i dont get it. my #1 item in my queue has gone from available, to short wait, and then long wait, and now very long wait. does having it #1 even matter...?

I'm on my trial right now and they shipped Monday and est is tomorrow. With Netflix, 9 times out of 10, they arrive next day. A 6 day turnaround period is a bit much, I'm starting to think, but we'll see...

[quote name='Velo214']i dont get it. my #1 item in my queue has gone from available, to short wait, and then long wait, and now very long wait. does having it #1 even matter...?[/QUOTE]

The post above yours explains exactly why that happens. If you want to wait a few days to get your items in queue order, you can select the number of days you're willing to wait.

[quote name='kennyb324']In the settings (in your blockbuster account) theres an option for that.
Its set by default on "Speed" which means they will ship any game on your Q so you can have your games as fast as possible.
The other option is "Queue order" which means they will ship the games you want in order, but it might take a little longer (cause those games might not be availible).
I think the option to change that is great. would be awesome if gamefly adopted something like that.[/QUOTE]

Oh cool, thanks, i didn't even know the option existed :)

with three out at a time, i think it's better with a three day wait, we'll see...

[quote name='probin74243']FYI -

BLOCKBUSTER Total Accessâ„¢ subscribers may exchange BLOCKBUSTER By Mail game rentals for in-store free movie rentals (up to plan limits) or discounted $4.99 game rentals at participating BLOCKBUSTER stores. However, BLOCKBUSTER By Mail game rentals cannot be exchanged for free in-store game rentals.
BLOCKBUSTER Mail Only subscribers may exchange BLOCKBUSTER By Mail game rentals for discounted in-store $1.99 movie or $4.99 game rentals at participating BLOCKBUSTER stores.
[/INDENT][/QUOTE]

Man not worth it if you cant exchange for games from the store, fix that and itll be a great deal. Ill stick to my 30 dollar a month 2 out at a time from blockbuster

I'm sure this has been asked and aswered already. I can take a game in-store and exchange it for a movie correct? (up to 5 times/month) But not a game for a game? How do they look my account up? Do I need a account # or something?

Returned an in store exchange Monday morning around 11am, and got an email saying so about 11:30. Next thing in my queue - SMG 1 - did not ship until today. It was Available since I signed up. Sorta bummed about the slow turnaround.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Returned an in store exchange Monday morning around 11am, and got an email saying so about 11:30. Next thing in my queue - SMG 1 - did not ship until today. It was Available since I signed up. Sorta bummed about the slow turnaround.[/QUOTE]

You returned a game to the store? Are you an all access member?

Since it takes almost the whole week for the game to come (unless it was only available on the western coast), I wouldn't mind paying $5 a month if I can return the game in store rather then wait for them to get it, then for them to ship the next one.

[quote name='DKYang']You returned a game to the store? Are you an all access member?

Since it takes almost the whole week for the game to come (unless it was only available on the western coast), I wouldn't mind paying $5 a month if I can return the game in store rather then wait for them to get it, then for them to ship the next one.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, no. I returned a BR that I got using one of the 5 exchanges on my trial plan. It just bummed me out that it took so long to ship the next thing (and hrm, I realized now that it didn't show up today).

I signed up last Friday. Star Wars TFU and Army of Two TFD got shipped out Monday, TFU came in today but still no AoT...a week turnaround time. I could've gotten 2 movies from Netflix already. Not impressing me so far, BB. I figure too it'll only be a matter of time before Netflix has game rentals.

It only makes sense when I bet 60% of their instant watch base are console users ;)

Service is shitty, just as it was prior to them renting games. I returned two games to a store on Monday afternoon one of them not playing properly. A replacement game shipped on Tuesday and I got it today. I still have an open slot in my queue and nothing has shipped yet for that slot. Customer service is also still shitty. I'd recommend staying away.

signed up with $4.99 deal. Two rentals a month. I like it, rentals are usually $7.99 a week now. No need to rush to finish those linear games. I don't mind the delay for new games, because there's still a ton of old games I would like to play.

[quote name='finstersucks']signed up with $4.99 deal. Two rentals a month. I like it, rentals are usually $7.99 a week now. No need to rush to finish those linear games. I don't mind the delay for new games, because there's still a ton of old games I would like to play.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. I don't really care about getting games within a few months of their release, especially if it keeps the subscription price down. Already have tons of stuff to play. And I live close-ish enough to a distribution center to have a 2 days turnaround time. So for $4.99/month, I am totally fine with having a game lying around my apt to play whenever I want.

Im actually really happy with the service, way better than gamefly in my opinion

I had received my first 3 games from blockbuster the day after i put my 2 gamefly games in the mail.

as of right now, exactly 1 week later i have not received my gamefly games that i had returned a week ago. (hopefully it will come today).

BUT i had played my 3 games from blockbuster and then i returned them and the next day they shipped 3 new games to me. i have all 3 games right now.

so, for me. i can beat my blockbuster games, send them in and receive my next batch of 3. all before gamefly even reaches my house. so im very happy with the shipping times.
2~3 day turnaround compared to a week turnaround

I guess im lucky i have a shipping center a few hours down the road. compared to gamefly being about 3 states away.

My only complaint is that if the game is on really long wait, then it is going to take awhile before it gets back in stock, I have had a game in my queue since Monday on long wait, I am going to give it another week, but switch games after that. At least they set the expectation at the game is going to take a few weeks to get in. Love the price and hopefully shipping times will be better than Gamefly.

they still change in your queue tho. i had prison break #1 on my list and it has gone from short wait, to long wait, to very long wait and now short wait again. lol...
and sonic and sega racing is #2 in my q and it went from available to very long wait. omg

As long as delivery is quicker than the week plus I had with Gamefly I am willing to stick with this for awhile. There are still plenty of newer release games showing as available now. I view this as more of a replacement for my past obsession with buying $15 Target clearance games than anything else.

Signed up on Sunday and just recieved my 3 games in the mail today. Pretty slow IMHO, I'll stick through my 3 week trial but I really dont see myself getting a membership after that.

yeah i might get the 4.99, but they don't even have all older games like cabela's big game hunter, katamari forever, cloudy with chance of meatballs, etc... i hope it's just cuz its a new program and they will fill in their game selection more...

Thus far I'm not that impressed. Bluray without a higher price is nice I guess, but their turnaround times are pretty atrocious for me - essentially a week shipping - both netflix and gamefly have centers in my area so their turnaround time is amazing. Everything that was 'available' is no longer shipping. Meh I'll keep it for awhile and see what I think.

I've been a Blockbuster online user for years. I like the option of exchanging instore to get an imediate movie. I also like the Bluray policy. So adding games is a big plus for me.

I just got my first game God of War 3. I think that gamers (wanting 3 out all the time) are going to break the back of BB gaming rentals. Their intention is that people get some games in addition to movies. Hopefully BB will gear up and get plenty of copies instock to meet the demand.

Maybe this is common for by-mail rental services, I'm not sure. BBV shipped me a movie in 1 day last week. This week, it's already been 2 days since shipping notification. Some distribution centers don't have the same stuff?

[quote name='A.Z.']Wow this sucks, I subscribe to the $5 a month on last Sunday and I still haven't receive my disc.[/QUOTE]

LMAO

What games are you trying to get?

[quote name='Kromis']LMAO

What games are you trying to get?[/QUOTE]
Splinter Cell. It said that they shipped it but I never receive anything

[quote name='A.Z.']Splinter Cell. It said that they shipped it but I never receive anything[/QUOTE]

They tell you an estimated shipping time and, in my experience, it will usually always get there by the date they give you or the day after. Since the post office aren't required to deliver it by a certain date.

Knock on wood, but so far my experience has been pretty positive. Still not sure why my first shipment didn't include games that were both higher in the Q and available, but that's a minor nit to pick. I got my first shipment in two days (Mon-Wed), then returned one on Thursday and got the next one Saturday. That's Netflix-quick.

I'll probably keep my in-store BB monthly pass just so I can play sports games and the odd AAA title shortly after release. I already knocked my Netflix down to a one-out plan, so if I do the one-out BB total access, I'll have a much better overall package for something like 5 bucks less per month.

It's been good so far for me. I signed up late last Sunday and they shipped Borderlands PS3 the next day, it arrived on Wednesday. I'm in TN(near Knoxville) and the game shipped from Lexington KY. I'll probably keep this sub going for older games & movies, at $5 + tax you can't beat that price.

[quote name='anthonyd46']anyway to see the game selection without actually signing up?[/QUOTE]

you should be able to see the games they have without signing up. just go to the game section on the website

Blockbuster online is crap, both netflix and blockbuster online have distros in lansing MI and I live in Grand rapids MI about 1 hour drive away.

Monday morning Netflix sends out theres blockbuster hasn't even updated my shipping list, I joined that saturday.

tuesday, I recieve my netflix and resend it back that same day. My blockbuster queue updates and says that my games will ship and arrive thursday....but its cool I'm still down.

Wednesday, netflix says they recieved my movie and are shipping the next one, still waiting on BB but I then find out that for new games you must wait 105 days for it to be available and you can not exchange instore for games instead of movies....but ok we are still in the trial phase and its cheaper then getting gamefly + netflix

Thursday I recieve netflix and blockbuster, now heres what pisses me off. I exchange my blockbuster movies for the instore exchange and the movies I get fill up my queue so I can't actually get anything mailed out for the next day, so I watch all the movies and plan on returning them in the morning so something will ship that day.

come friday I return the movies at 12PM with that whole blockbuster instantly updates your queue bullcrap and my queue updates but nothing shipped that day.

Saturday they don't ship anything

Monday they don't ship anything

and finally tuesday something ships but get this, it doesn't arrive till Friday FML and the BS blockbuster crap I'll buy netflix and gamefly for dealing with your BS Motha fuk that!!!

[quote name='anthonyd46']anyway to see the game selection without actually signing up?[/QUOTE]

If you click on "Games" at the top of the page, you can scroll through the list. It won't show whether it's available/short wait/etc., but it at least shows which games can be added to the Q.

I looked through a few pages and didn't see this, but I found this code and tried it for 4 week free trial of the 2 at a time plan: 4weekfreetrial2010

Yeah, the game that took 2 days to ship after I returned my in-store exchange was scheduled to arrive in 3 days, but didn't. Tomorrow will be a week since I brought back my exchange. No way this one is coming from Portland this time.

I pay 23 dollars a month for the in store one. That is 1 out unlimited in store. I was bored last saturday and got 6 blurays during the course of the day lol.. That includes games, dvd's, and blu-rays so I think it is worth it honestly.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I looked through a few pages and didn't see this, but I found this code and tried it for 4 week free trial of the 2 at a time plan: 4weekfreetrial2010[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

I signed up for my free trial last Friday. Took nearly a week to get my first game and the second didn't arrive until the following Friday. I dunno if I'm gonna sign up for this or not...with 1 out at a time, you're looking at maybe 3 rentals a month, tops. With 1 at a time Netflix I get all the streaming I want, and I can get 3 rentals a week if I'm lucky.

started a trial, forgot to get the total access. Cancelled right away. Tried to sign up again, but couldn't with same address. Used my gf's address to get the trial again.

they shipped 2 games from my queue from the first account that I cancelled 5 min after adding the games to my queue. Took 5 bussiness days to come. mon to mon.

second account was a bit faster mon-fri. Got the 3 games, but one was a repeat from the first account.
Went in to exchange it as this time I made sure to get total access. I knew going in the rental would be half cost, but $9+tax for a rental. No thank you.

canceling before 14 days run up.Now I got to rush through army of two two, AvP, BFBC2, SC:convic.

I'm amazed how you guys got your games, I'm currently trying to get Just Cause 2 and Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 from them, both of which are on short wait but on the top of my queue list. And they pretty much just ignore them and instead opt to give me the less prioritized DVD's that my sister who I share the account with, puts on the list. If it takes this much hassle to get games in the mail, might as well go Gamefly purely for the speediness and convenience.

[quote name='kiotsukete']I'm amazed how you guys got your games, I'm currently trying to get Just Cause 2 and Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 from them, both of which are on short wait but on the top of my queue list. And they pretty much just ignore them and instead opt to give me the less prioritized DVD's that my sister who I share the account with, puts on the list. If it takes this much hassle to get games in the mail, might as well go Gamefly purely for the speediness and convenience.[/QUOTE]

your blockbuster account is currently set to ship any game they see on your list that's available.

there's a setting that allows you to have your games shipped in order (so you will get your #1 game first, then #2, etc.)

but you gotta go into your settings on your blockbuster account to enable it.

of course, if they are not "available" it might take a couple days. but thats how to make them ship your games from the top of your list.

I am debating about going back to 1 out in store (for gaming).

My history so far since starting...
I live in the city of a distro (Charlotte)
Friday, Aug 13 - Signup
Tuesday, Aug 17 - First movie arrives
Wednesday, Aug 18 - First Game arrives
Wednesday, Aug 18 - Get a movie from in-store trade out
Friday, Aug 20 - Return in-store rental
No new title or ETA of new title yet...

Netflix, on the other hand, I have gone through 3 movies + countless Streaming titles.

I don't know why anyone would use Blockbuster for renting movies unless you have total access. I keep reading about movies this or movies that. I thought everyone was in it because of the games, at least older games, because it's a great deal. For me, I'm basically paying $60+tax per year to play a bunch of games that came out last year that I didn't have the money to pay for.

I'd probably consider dumping Netflix and GameFly for this, but the streaming to my 360 and PS3 is used way too much in the house to give it up. Plus, all the talk about games not being up for months really turned me off.

[quote name='Kromis']Bump with 3 out, unlimited in-store exchanges 1 month trial which still works!

https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/s...ards1mspecial/[/QUOTE]

Just signed up for this, thanks. I don't usually rent games but I sold Gears 2 and now I want to play it for the Labor Day x26 XP promo.

Now I just have to remember to cancel in a few weeks but if the shipping is really as slow as everyone says then I'll be too rage-filled to forget.

UPDATE: Err.. I see what you guys mean about newish games not being available for a while. Alpha Protocol came out a while ago and won't be ready until mid-September. I guess I'm getting a chance to check out some old games I might have missed instead. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back