Blockbuster store closing sales YMMV

Sigma

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
List of BB stores closing!
Greenwood, IN (Store closed for good 1.10.10)
Long Beach, NY -- closing 1/10
Union Square, NYC
Hooksett, NH
Hermosa Beach, CA
Beaverton, OR
Mesquite, TX
Sunnyvale, CA
Charlotte, NC
Nazareth, PA (Closing Jan. 10th)
King of Prussia, PA (Henderson RD)
Bronx, NY (Bruckner Location)
York Rd, PA
Dunkirk, MD
Phoenix, AZ (Thunderbird and Tantum location)
Laguna Niguel, CA (Crown Valley location)
Arnold, MA (Closing Jan 10th)
Nutley, NJ
Washington, DC

I figured I'd post this, but it is very much a YMMV deal. I live on the South side of Indiana near Indianapolis and several Blockbuster stores around here are now closing like many more will this year.

My local store had some pretty nice deals on used games. They have all now been marked down to 50% off the original price, many of the games have lower prices than then stickers indicate as well.

My store had several games that all came out to be under $15 after the 50% discount.

360 games where all that was left, but I picked up a copy of X-Men Origins: Wolverine for a mere $8. Great condition with the original case and manual intact.

Street Fighter IV, RE5, HAWX, FEAR 2, and a handful of other titles where also still in stock.

Blockbuster is closing down a nice chunk of their stores by the end of this year, so anyone who has several Blockbuster stores around them can be sure at least one if not more of them will be closing shop sooner rather than later.

A side note, they also were running some great deals on Blu-Ray and DVDs as well. I know they had a Blu-Ray Player for sell for $75 at my location.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Holyoke MA blockbuster closed like a week ago. They were selling their games at 80% off but they all sucked. There was this game called overlord which looked ok. They had the latest Spiderman game for ps2, toy story for wii, and the rest were guitar hero games.

I did buy some ps2 dvd cases there and some ds cases too. They were 5 for a dollar.

The store in Florence, KY is closing on 1/10. They had a few used copies of RE5, Hawx, & Transformers for the 360 marked down 60%. Picked up RE5 & Transformers for $12 each. New games are 50% off, but the only new stuff they had were the RE5 & Halo Wars collectors editions. Both were still a bit overpriced IMO even at 50% off MSRP.

Anyone know how high they raise the discounts before the store closes?

The Madison and Hendersonville TN stores are not closing. Those are the two closest to me. I do believe that someone said that they are franchise stores through.

[quote name='klingon666']In Rockford ,Ill at a Mobile gas station Blockbuster put in a Blue Box FOR dvd RENTELS. Does this mean that the RED BOX is Blockbusting Blockbuster?[/QUOTE]

Which one?

Arlington Heights IL store is closing, picked up x2 The Bigs 2 - x2 Transformers: ROTF x2 - and a Street Fighter 4 all for 62.00 bucks, traded one of each into gamestop after lunch for 62.00 gonna trade the remaining Bigs and Transformers later in the week with my other 7 games....for a big haul.

[quote name='sgr76']I found 2 stores closing here in Charlotte, NC back in October. I haven't seen any more yet (But then again, i haven't really been looking). The best deals are gonna be during the last week of the sale but you are taking a chance that someone is gonna snatch it up before then. Also, they are selling EVERYTHING in the store including the fixtures. I have one of their bookshelves in my apt lol.[/QUOTE]
They do not sell EVERYTHING in the store- I went to 2 different stores that were closing and asked where their rental games were and they sent them all to a different store. Nothing held back my ass! The last one I went to had all the new release rental games in the managers office and said they werent selling them. BS

Some of you running into stores with games 30% off, they typically wait till the last two or three weeks of being open before they drop the games down to 50%.

[quote name='aj slick']They do not sell EVERYTHING in the store- I went to 2 different stores that were closing and asked where their rental games were and they sent them all to a different store. Nothing held back my ass! The last one I went to had all the new release rental games in the managers office and said they werent selling them. BS[/QUOTE]

It really is YMMV (I still don't know what YMMV means but i think i used it right lol). The 2 i went to were selling all their rentals, the standees, display televisions, new dvds/games, rentals, tables, shelves, decor, safes, the microwave from their break room (That is not a joke). They were really cleaning house. I got a preplayed copy of FN4 for 30% off when it was still selling for 54.99. If that store wont play ball, find another one who will lol. If you look in my albums, you will see the shelf i got from a closing Blockbuster for $10.

[quote name='sgr76']It really is YMMV (I still don't know what YMMV means but i think i used it right lol). The 2 i went to were selling all their rentals, the standees, display televisions, new dvds/games, rentals, tables, shelves, decor, safes, the microwave from their break room (That is not a joke). They were really cleaning house. I got a preplayed copy of FN4 for 30% off when it was still selling for 54.99. If that store wont play ball, find another one who will lol. If you look in my albums, you will see the shelf i got from a closing Blockbuster for $10.[/QUOTE]
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary.

A lot of stores that have things they aren't selling are things employees are keeping for themselves or other employees of local BB stores not closing yet.

I went to mine the day before it closed and games were 80% off, blu rays were 10% off all used dvds were 2.00 each, new dvds were 30% off and complete tv seasons were 4.00 each. My store was even selling the dvd fixtures for 50.00 each.

A Blockbuster closing near me (most of the games are sold out, but DVDs are selling for 2.99 or less) is located in Rockledge, PA (right outside of Philadelphia) on Huntingdon Pike.

400 Huntington Pike
Rockledge, PA 19046-4448

For anyone from Northeast Philadelphia and familiar with Rhawn Street, Rhawn turns into Huntingdon Pike.

It is also closing on January 10th.

Two of them closed already. The one in Quail Hollow Shopping Center (off park rd and Sharon Road West) and the one near Woodhaven and Park rd. The big one on East Blvd doesn't look like it's going anywhere but i am gonna check a few others and see if i can spot another one.

Went to NYC store which is closing Friday. Nothing great except for DVDs. They had a couple of new (older) games like Gears 2, RE5 that were 40% off high list prices. The used games that were left were 50% off. Most were in generic boxes and priced high (they also didn't have scannable stickers). Used Bluerays were $17 a piece which seems high to me. I don't have a player so I don't really know. Overall I would say better game deals could be found at BBs w/POGs that aren't closing.:cry:

I went to a local BBV that was closing and the manager said COD WAW was $20. he said b4 the store advertised they were closing they were selling COD for $8 after 60% off ( i guess they knew they were closing so they got a head start)...but eventually the company made them send their newer titles to another store and they were sent other older games to sell at the closing store. They were also told 2 mark up the newer games a bit...im guessin this is so BBV would make as much money as possible

so im wondering if I should hold off to buy COD at another store that closing by me (finding out which ones are actually closing is another story)...im really cheap and don't like to pay over $15 for my games...and so far I have 9 game and havent spent over $11

anybody seen the :ps3: COD's for this cheap?

The Kansas City, MO store will officially close 1/17/10. I stopped in tonight and it was pretty well picked over. They had maybe 5 PS3 games left, a few Wii games and 40 or so 360 games. They still had a ton of DVD's a few Star Trek action figures and a decent selection of bluray movies. I was disappointed most stuff was marked down 50% but the bluray movies were only 15% off used and 10% off new.

[quote name='davidflecha17']I went to mine the day before it closed and games were 80% off, blu rays were 10% off all used dvds were 2.00 each, new dvds were 30% off and complete tv seasons were 4.00 each. My store was even selling the dvd fixtures for 50.00 each.[/QUOTE]

Man, in my dreams. My local Blockbuster is HIRING, that's how ass-backwards everything in my town is.

[quote name='dasoccerguy07']any stores in nj closing?[/QUOTE]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]The Berlin, NJ store on Route 73 is closing in four days--it had new copies of Resident Evil 5 CE (Xbox 360 and PS3) and Street Fighter IV CE (Xbox 360, I think) at 50% off.[/FONT] Used DVDs are $1.99.

I know the store near me in Hooksett, New Hampshire is closing.

I picked up

Okami
Nights
Mario Super Sluggers
Bully
Beautiful Katamari
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
New Wii control Pikmin
The Beatles Rock Band

[quote name='Tempius']Not that it does any good now but Staunton, Harrisonburg and Charlottesville Va stores all closed on 1/4.[/QUOTE]

so did Waynesboro.
And holy crap another Waynesboro CAG!

[quote name='SimpRgr8']I know the store near me in Hooksett, New Hampshire is closing.

I picked up

Okami
Nights
Mario Super Sluggers
Bully
Beautiful Katamari
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
New Wii control Pikmin
The Beatles Rock Band[/QUOTE]

*Update*

I went in today and found out they are out on the 1/10 as well.

As for games left

Hawx for PS3 (3 copies)
Ghostbusters for Xbox 360
The Beatles Rock Band for PS3 (game only)
Two Beatle Rock Band kits for the 360
Aerosmith Guitar Hero (I don't remember which system)

I was disappointed most stuff was marked down 50% but the bluray movies were only 15% off used and 10% off new.

its gonna stay that way too. everything else gets marked down over time but not blu ray.

Man, in my dreams. My local Blockbuster is HIRING, that's how ass-backwards everything in my town is.

they have that now hiring sign up on the window 24/7/365 even if they arent hiring.

I have to keep my eye on the Blockbuster on 50th and 8th in Manhattan I past there the other day and all I see is everything has a price tag or there are price dropping everything in the store. I spoke to someone that work there and they have no idea if there store is closing but they have been told to slowing start selling everything they have.

[quote name='Duncanzits']I THINK 982 Breckenridge Lane in Louisville KY closed. I can't get them on the phone[/QUOTE]

According to that other list we have 11 locations in the city. Surely another one is going down. Maybe calling other stores someone there will know which ones are closing. I'm sure word travels around the district like that.

[quote name='davidflecha17']I went to mine the day before it closed and games were 80% off, blu rays were 10% off all used dvds were 2.00 each, new dvds were 30% off and complete tv seasons were 4.00 each. My store was even selling the dvd fixtures for 50.00 each.[/QUOTE]
The day they before it closed and only 10% off of their $30 blu rays- thats funny.

There was a BB closing in the valley (LA AREA) last month and they had a 40% off a 40 gig ps3 which was $180 new in box. I decided to buy it for my sister seeing that Christmas was only a week away. When he rang it up it came up as $150 ($164 after tax).

The manager was pissed because he just bought a crappy bluray player last week for more than that and it didn't have a HD and took about 5 mins to load each bluray disc.

FYI BB's in Austin TX on Mopac and westover and Parmer/Mcneil
are closing today at 5pm

really picked over on the mopac location. Only had a few ps3 70% off madden games, Star wars clone wars $16, RE5 $20, HAZE $7, and some other sports games.
alot more xbox360 and ps2 games...nothing good

i did pick up smackdown vs raw ps2 for 80 cents though lol

i was pissed cuz i called a head to the parmer and mcneil and they said they werent selling games but i went over anyway...asked the lady and she brought a stack of xbox360 games to look through...pisses me off cuz blockbuster lies all the time...

The Blockbuster that's closing down in Old Forge, PA had only a few games left yesterday(one SF IV for 360, Baseball Manager for PS3 and some cart only GH games for DS) and shitton of some movies(Nacho Libre, for one)and bits and pieces of quite a few other titles.

I went in there last week and the fuckin' employees had shit not only held for themselves but for friends of theirs(which explains where a good portion of the used games from 2-4 weeks ago went to), but I still picked up 2 copies of G-Force and 1 TF:ROTF that qualified for the GS $20 promo. I bought 2 of them with credit from a gift card, so I only spent maybe $12 in cash at this sale.

Movies are $1.99 each(season sets $3.99) and games are only 60% off. Guides(among other things)aren't discounted one bit.

anybody played Haze for ps3?
wondering if I should go back and get it for 7 buck brand new...?

played the demo it's ok...anybody else know?

well I read on amazon that it wasnt worth 3 bucks that he spent...but another guy siad the game was so much better than the demo...

ps I am very cheap! lol

I didn't find Haze to be as bad as everyone else. A couple days ago I went to a closing Blockbuster and re-picked up Ninja Gaiden II (NEW) for $6. I used to have it but I sold it in 1 big backlog clearing swoop. Figured might as well just get it again since I liked it and I wasn't stuck or anything.

My local BB closes today. Blu-ray movies and new movies have all been boxed and shipped to other stores. MOvies are still $1.99 and pretty picked over.

By the time I got to my local one (20 mins away) all the games were gone except for The Club. I did get Curb Your Enthusiasm Seasons 1-4 for $1.79 each and 20 PS2 game cases for $4.

I stopped into the Blockbuster that was closing in my city and they have converted to an outlet store. They had a pretty good selection of games (Beatles RB, GH5, Band Hero, Tekken 6, etc) that weren't on the shelf the night before, which was the last day for their store closing clearances. I bet they held back all the newer games because they were 70% off and now that they are an outlet it is only 15%

Oh well :(

Blockbuster down in Houston, TX near Canes closed yesterday i believe. went there yesterday and said 1 day till closing so i assume that meant yesterday. everything is pretty muchly gone though. 90% off. i snagged some binders though that normally cost like $4 for $1 each.

I got SSBB for $9!!! And Wii Music of $6!!! GH On Tour for Ds for $5 and a Wii skin for 49 cent. This was a couple weeks back.

Last Day for the Blockbuster in New Berlin, WI...DVDs are 89 cents, and all games, new and used, are 90% off. Picked up a new copy of PSP X-Men Origins: Wolverine for $3.99, a used complete 360 HAWX for $2.49, and 3 complete used copies of 360 Street Fighter IV for $2.49 each.

Gonna miss this store...back in the day, picked up a lot of rare, boxed NES and SNES games like Bubble Bobble 2, Dragon Warrior 4, Megaman X3, and much more for next to nothing, and then got most of my 32X and Virtual Boy games there on the cheap...not to mention all of the rental systems in clamshell cases. The rental stuff I bought there and then traded in kept me flush in yellow Funcoland credit slips for years!

Bye bye BB,
Rich

Things got better at the Florence, KY store yesterday. Got X-Blades new for $6, RE5 Collectors Edition for $20, and the Halo Wars LE for $25.

Also spotted some uses games they had behind the counter- Tiger Woods 10 for $15, CoD4 for $8.

I didn't even bother going back to my local BBV that was closing since they had next to nothing yesterday as far as games went and the movies were really picked over(unless I wanted 20-30 copies of Nacho Libre). Today was supposed to be their final day and I overheard them talking about the hours only being from 12 noon till 4 pm or so.

It seemed to me like the liquidators were ever so slowly creeping up the percentages and nothing was ever really an insane deal, unlike the time I hit up a closing Sam Goody in NJ and I picked up PS1/PS2 games for $1-2 each on the final 2 days.

Well the BBV by me closed today. Nothing on dvd I wanted that I can't get from netflix so nothing there for me. 90% off games though. Nothing left for the PS3/Wii and the 360 games were a bit scratched up, but it just went to GS for credit so all good.

Snagged a few copies of Haze for $2 each. I only picked them up to flip at GS and so far have netted some profit. The game is so far average. Not worth the $60 they were originally charging.

bread's done
Back