Blockbuster Total Access adds game rentals for $5 more (starts in 2nd quarter)

roguejedi5

CAGiversary!
Didn't know where to post this, but since it deals with games I decided to post it here. According to gamespot, this will start in the 2nd quarter of this year. Here is the quote they got from a blockbuster rep.

"During the test, we plan to charge subscribers a flat $4.99 for each month that they have a video game or games out from our by-mail service," the representative said. "If you don't take any game(s) out via the mail on your subscription in a given month, there's no charge. In-store movie exchanges will continue to be free, according to the Blockbuster Total Access plan, and games will continue to be discounted at $4.99."

For the full article click here

What do you CAGS think? Is it a good deal or just go with Gamefly?

In theory, it sounds better than Gamefly. For about the same price, you'd have access to games and movies. It would be better, of course, if you could exchange games for free like you can movies, but it still not that bad.

HOWEVER, for me, this is no real deal at all. I joined BBV TA a while ago and get two game/movie coupons a month. I cant see myself renting more than a couple of games a month anyway. If I need more time with a game, the $1.25 "re-stocking fee" is still less than the five bucks. This only makes sense if one is gonna trade games in and out a bunch.

Too bad Blockbuster is about to go under. Have you seen their stocks plummet in the past couple of weeks? lol. Thanks though.

BBV should have offered a deal like this years ago. A business needs to leverage it's strengths. Offering a combined DVD/video game service would have presented Netflix a more credible challenge. Now that BBV is, once again, having financial problems, it's a little too late.

So for $25 a month I can have 3 movies or games out at a time? (with 5 in store movie rentals) Sounds great compared to the $38 a month I'm paying now for 4 games at Gamefly. PLUS I also have Blockbuster for $12 a month where I end up holding onto a movie for a whole month before I watch it. So that would save me a whole $25 a month? WOW.

If Blockbuster ups the limit to 4 discs out I'll probably get that instead. But Blockbuster ships me movies in 1 day as opposed to Gamefly's 2. Plus I can return to store everytime so that makes the return time instant. So even with 3 games everything will be faster and if they have as many copies as they do movies, it should be alot better than Gamefly.

I must say that this is tempting. I might even cancel netflix and switch. I don't have a 360, so the netflix support there isn't a factor for me and the option to rent games is a big, big deal. I've been hoping that netflix would add game rentals for a long time and they've never done it. Maybe blockbuster is finally starting to do something right? Hopefully it isn't too late, though.

EDIT: noticed in comments on article, and would agree that a netflix/gamefly merger would be welcome. Hopefully this might push Netflix to do that as I'd much rather stick with Netflix. However, in doing so they've got to bring the game rental cost way, way done, because gamefly is massively overpriced IMHO.

[quote name='Togepy']So for $25 a month I can have 3 movies or games out at a time? (with 5 in store movie rentals) Sounds great compared to the $38 a month I'm paying now for 4 games at Gamefly. PLUS I also have Blockbuster for $12 a month where I end up holding onto a movie for a whole month before I watch it. So that would save me a whole $25 a month? WOW.

If Blockbuster ups the limit to 4 discs out I'll probably get that instead. But Blockbuster ships me movies in 1 day as opposed to Gamefly's 2. Plus I can return to store everytime so that makes the return time instant. So even with 3 games everything will be faster and if they have as many copies as they do movies, it should be alot better than Gamefly.[/quote]

not to mention if you can exchange game rentals in store like you can do with the Total Access movies. Unlike gamefly you will actually be able to play a game that came out in the last 6months without waiting in a waiting line for 3 weeks

[quote name='BarbblerElf']not to mention if you can exchange game rentals in store like you can do with the Total Access movies. Unlike gamefly you will actually be able to play a game that came out in the last 6months without waiting in a waiting line for 3 weeks[/QUOTE]

From reading the article, I don't think it's clear that you can exchange games in-store. It only seems to say that you'll still be able to exchange movies in store. Maybe games, but it doesn't seem clear to me.

[quote name='Squarehard']Too bad Blockbuster is about to go under. Have you seen their stocks plummet in the past couple of weeks? lol. Thanks though.[/quote]

Everyone's stock has plummeted. I don't even open my 401K and IRA statements anymore, they go directly to the shredder.

[quote name='BarbblerElf']not to mention if you can exchange game rentals in store like you can do with the Total Access movies. Unlike gamefly you will actually be able to play a game that came out in the last 6months without waiting in a waiting line for 3 weeks[/quote]

The key will be the execution. I've been a long-time subscriber to Blockbuster's service and have always commented that they should offer games as part of this.

If I can exchange a rental in-store for a game then I will be all over this. If, however, I have to add games to my queue and wait forever, only to be able to trade them for a movie in-store I will be less tempted... especially since I already get 1 free game rental from them every month.

I subscribe and I don't think I'll be adding this.. I've had my sub for so long that I pay $19.99/month and get unlimited in store exchanges, which I think is $38 now. I'm not gonna take a chance on them knocking me up to standard price because I'm changing the service.

I wouldn't make the jump just yet. Netflix will be forced to change their structure, and they will.

This is great for the consumer and will force competition and might also save Blockbuster in the long run.

Currently, if you get one of those E-coupons that they give you every month, you are allowed to use it for a game. I wonder if that will change.

God I hope they add the +5 to whatever you rate is currently. I have a reduced rate due to the fact I signed up so early (I get 1 coupon per month and unlimited exchanges for 22$). Getting games as well for 5$ more would be a no brainer.

Actually Blockbuster has been way better than Netflix for...a while. A long while now. At least 2 years. It sucked when they raised their price although it was inevitable because the original total access deal was too good to be true ($18 a month got you 3 in the mail, exchange them for 3 of any movie in the store, and they went ahead and sent the next 3 in the mail once they received them at the store). You get a ton more Blockbuster movies than you ever could with Netflix, even with their old 8 movies plan.

Plus Blockbuster doesn't throttle, unlike Netflix which still does that shit. Blockbuster is also much more fair on their online rental policy. It's first requested, first served on there. Netflix, if you want the latest movies, you're most likely to get them on the 1 dvd plan, which is bullshit. If you pay the least on netflix, you get the best service, what the fuck? The more you pay on netflix, the worse they treat you. That's ass backward thinking if I've ever heard it.

Like say I'm an 8 DVD netflix member and I put The Dark Knight at #1 in my list way before anybody else does. Then the week it comes out, someone getting 3 movies at a time, the standard plan, puts Dark Knight at the top of their list (after me), they will still get the movie before I will. That is fucking bullshit. I was a Netflix member for at least 2 years and it would always take me forever to get the new releases.

As for Netflix downloads...err...they're not in very good quality at all. You can find at least as good of quality online for free.

This add just $5 a month if you happen to rent a game sounds very fair to me. Hell, it's $8 to rent a game in store. Great way to test a game out before before buying, and heck I'll likely beat most the games I rent and just be done with them, so this is ideal for me. I rent assloads of movies so this is perfect. I'd been waiting without much hope for Blockbuster to do this.

Screw Netflix. I'd go to friggin' movie gallery before I'd go back to netflix. No, I wouldn't actually, but netflix screws it's good customers too much for me to go back.

I thought everyone knew that if you fill your queue with ANY service, it's going to ALWAYS choose the most available item on there. Which is why for Netflix and Gamefly, I never have more than 1-2 things in my queue ever. What are they going to do besides politely tell me to put more in my list? They can't outright refuse to send me anything. If they tell me to put more, I'll just put even rarer things in there. :p

And I can't believe it's taken THIS LONG to combine these two services. I've been looking for SOMEONE to do it for 4 years now. I'm even madder at Netflix for not getting on it first, and now it's just in time that I'm canceling all my mail rental services to save money.

Well there *did* used to be this service 'games n flix' or something like that. They offered what appeared to be the best of both worlds, but their selection of games and movies was horrible. That's how I ended up with BBV Online (now Total Access) in the first place. The movies were comparable to Netflix and they offered 2 game/movie 'in-store' coupons a month. Once they came up with in store exchanges, I knew I made the right decision. Netflix 's d/l service is overrated at best. Strangely, I can get HD quality on my laptop but not my 360 even though both are connected via wifi. But I'm gonna drop Netflix and just stick w/ BBV. With the instore returns, you just cant get a movie to me faster than a 20min run/back to the store.

This sounds great, but I hope it is for all their online rental plans. I used to have total access, but the only blockbuster near me closed down. The next closest store is over 1 hour and 38 minutes away. So I just have the in the mail rental. But if they allow the games with that plan.... that is awesome!

[quote name='pwnthee']Actually Blockbuster has been way better than Netflix for...a while. A long while now. At least 2 years. It sucked when they raised their price although it was inevitable because the original total access deal was too good to be true ($18 a month got you 3 in the mail, exchange them for 3 of any movie in the store, and they went ahead and sent the next 3 in the mail once they received them at the store). You get a ton more Blockbuster movies than you ever could with Netflix, even with their old 8 movies plan.

Plus Blockbuster doesn't throttle, unlike Netflix which still does that shit. Blockbuster is also much more fair on their online rental policy. It's first requested, first served on there. Netflix, if you want the latest movies, you're most likely to get them on the 1 dvd plan, which is bullshit. If you pay the least on netflix, you get the best service, what the fuck? The more you pay on netflix, the worse they treat you. That's ass backward thinking if I've ever heard it.

Like say I'm an 8 DVD netflix member and I put The Dark Knight at #1 in my list way before anybody else does. Then the week it comes out, someone getting 3 movies at a time, the standard plan, puts Dark Knight at the top of their list (after me), they will still get the movie before I will. That is fucking bullshit. I was a Netflix member for at least 2 years and it would always take me forever to get the new releases.

As for Netflix downloads...err...they're not in very good quality at all. You can find at least as good of quality online for free.

This add just $5 a month if you happen to rent a game sounds very fair to me. Hell, it's $8 to rent a game in store. Great way to test a game out before before buying, and heck I'll likely beat most the games I rent and just be done with them, so this is ideal for me. I rent assloads of movies so this is perfect. I'd been waiting without much hope for Blockbuster to do this.

Screw Netflix. I'd go to friggin' movie gallery before I'd go back to netflix. No, I wouldn't actually, but netflix screws it's good customers too much for me to go back.[/quote]

This post is hilarious, please provide proof or stop making wild accusations.

[quote name='pwnthee']Actually Blockbuster has been way better than Netflix for...a while. A long while now. At least 2 years. It sucked when they raised their price although it was inevitable because the original total access deal was too good to be true ($18 a month got you 3 in the mail, exchange them for 3 of any movie in the store, and they went ahead and sent the next 3 in the mail once they received them at the store). You get a ton more Blockbuster movies than you ever could with Netflix, even with their old 8 movies plan.

Screw Netflix. I'd go to friggin' movie gallery before I'd go back to netflix. No, I wouldn't actually, but netflix screws it's good customers too much for me to go back.[/QUOTE]

Gotta disagree with 1 point, and thats the download option that netflix have been promoting. I bought the 1 disc at a time option, just to get the option. My wife and I are watching all sorts of shows using my 360, and the quality rocks. BlockBusters download option just stinks in comparison. Netflix's use of the 360 was pure genius, 10 million units primed for downloadable content.

Blockbuster has been throttling me lately, only getting two a week as opposed to my usual 3....I'd hate to see what they do with a game out.

Blockbuster's game rentals will be available to all of its mail-order customers nationwide in the second quarter of the year, with a catalog of offerings spanning the Wii, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, and the original Xbox. As with the existing Total Access program, subscribers will be able to exchange games at Blockbuster retail locations for free movie rentals or half-price game rentals a limited number of times (which varies by subscription package).

Games are becoming increasingly intertwined with the home movie business. Users can already rent or purchase films and TV shows through their Xbox 360s and PS3s, and by-mail movie rental service Netflix has partnered with Microsoft to allow its subscribers to stream a portion of its library through the Xbox 360.

Despite the enhanced competition in the market of late, Blockbuster still boasts that it rents more games in the US than anybody else, in-store or online.

i call that last statement total BS there is no way in hell they are renting more games out then Gamefly.

Netflix has said a 1000 times they have no interest in mergering with gamefly (though if blockbuster could get this to fly i could see a merger could happen but NOT TILL 2010 or even later)

it says it will have a catalog of games (nowhere does it say new releases) or how many of each game.

i have been banned from renting online from blockbuster online (pending a lawsuit--- they said i ripped off 4 DVDS and cancelled my account even though it showed all DVDS returned)

i say Netflix teams up with someone and does Game Downloads

5 bucks will not show a profit

3 movies at a time 19.99 per month those 3 movies would run a company 45 bucks.. compair to 180 bucks to buy those 3 Games

so this should roll out by JUNE ?????

Sorry blockbuster but this will flop... IF there was money to be made doing this NETFLIX would of found it years ago.

Love to see Netflix do a cross promo with gamefly instead of a merger

GEt NETFLIX + gamefly and save XXXX each month

Runs to my broker page to see what my stock did

wooo Blockbuster up 1 penny HERE WE GO LOL

GameFly will remain my rental outlit. The amount of money you can save on keeping games is utterly insane. Plus it seems like a lot of folks don't know how to properly use their Q, or save money (Why are you bitching about paying 38 for four games out at a time a month? Just return some, then downgrade your membership)

[quote name='BarbblerElf']not to mention if you can exchange game rentals in store like you can do with the Total Access movies. Unlike gamefly you will actually be able to play a game that came out in the last 6months without waiting in a waiting line for 3 weeks[/quote]

Not true. As time goes on people buy out their stock of video games and usually after 6 months (especially "good" games) there are 1-3 copies left at the store while there where about 10 when they started out (which all happened to be checked out anyway)

I promised myself I would never go back to Blockbuster.
They always pull stupid business practices.
-They never check the quality of their discs and when that is the only copy you get unequal compensation (like the time I tried to rent Prince of Persia and they wouldn't give/offer me a refund and instead I got to pick out the next best game that they had/I had not played which turned out to be Quantum of Solace - turned out to be a shitty game after all).
-Also I remember I was trying to rent out 2 360 games and they said that is was a limit 1 "next generation" game. I mean FFS the 360 has been out for years. It's this fucking generation. Then next week I go in and rent out Fable 2 and Fallout 3 for rent one get on half off. Not a word about their retarded policy of 1 game out.
-First video I rented through BBV online was fucking cracked in half. Jesus~ :bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

Gamefly is pretty good about the quality of their stuff. Haven't received an unplayable copy to date (yet). They offer incentives to buy the game off them/keep their service (unlike Blockbuster - you rent the damn game for 8-9 bux and they still charge you full price if you want to keep it or return it late). Also their delivery times and very predictable (especially in LA). And as for their delievery method, thankfully they us a sleeve and a cardboard sleeve so the game doesn't get crushed bent whatever in the mail.

[quote name='iRent']Not true. As time goes on people buy out their stock of video games and usually after 6 months (especially "good" games) there are 1-3 copies left at the store while there where about 10 when they started out (which all happened to be checked out anyway)
[/quote]

My store doesn't sell people the rental games so idk about that. They have a few that they sell and then a huge rental section/selection.

[quote name='BarbblerElf']My store doesn't sell people the rental games so idk about that. They have a few that they sell and then a huge rental section/selection.[/quote]

Well if you look on the receipt it will say something like "own this on xx/xx/xx for just $xx.xx more" or something similar.

@irent: They used to deduct the rental cost from the "keep it now" price but they got rid of that a few years ago.

Though it is weird that so many people have had such shiity experiences with BBV. I've lived now in four different states over the last 10 years and I've always had good service with BBV. And BBO has been just great with 2day turnarounds.

[quote name='hostyl1']@irent: They used to deduct the rental cost from the "keep it now" price but they got rid of that a few years ago.

Though it is weird that so many people have had such shiity experiences with BBV. I've lived now in four different states over the last 10 years and I've always had good service with BBV. And BBO has been just great with 2day turnarounds.[/quote]

Exactly why they are crappy...

Blockbuster Online isn't so bad. The turnaround time is very fast where I live. I tested that if I drop the DVD back at the post office right when I receive it in my mailbox, it has a chance of getting back to blockbuster by the end of the business day and shipping out the next one. They are much more local than gamefly/netflix.

Screw Netflix. I'd go to friggin' movie gallery before I'd go back to netflix. No, I wouldn't actually, but netflix screws it's good customers too much for me to go back.[/QUOTE]

Plus Blockbuster doesn't throttle

LOL good one. no they dont, instead when you complain they say you ripped off xxxxx movies and cancell your account

Never had a problem with Netflix (3 DVD/BR at a time) or GameFly (2 at a time).

Netflix has a 3 day turn around for me and GameFly is 5 days. I've gotten one unplayable disc from Netflix in about 2 years, so I can't complain. GameFly shipping is kind of slow, but obviously depends on the games demand.

I hate BB in general. Their in-store policies are terrible and not too coherent, not too mention that they change their policies so often and fail to inform their customers. Not too mention that their prices on renting PS3 or 360 games are ridiculous ($9.00???) while their BR rental prices are the exact same as normal DVDs (obviously a good thing).

STILL, I don't want them to go out of business. Competition is always good, no matter if its even or not. If BB goes under, Netflix could easily raise prices and we'd be pretty much stuck either paying what they ask or going with digital DLs.

i REALLY don't understand the hate for BB here. I don't know if it's just an extension of xbox fanboyism, but i've had BB online for like a year now, and i couldn't be happier. Given i'm only paying $12 a month for one out at a time and unlimited in store exchange (which was the price a year ago), I don't even have time to watch all the movies i get. I do live very close to a blockbuster, i only bring movies into the store and exchange, and whatever is in my queue gets sent out usually that same day, and in my mailbox the next day. Once they check that mailer in-store, it's immediately reflected in your queue. Only had one disc that was actually cracked, go onto the website and report it and you get a new disc immediately. Netflix makes you wait until they receive said bad disc. And now that i rent almost nothing but bluray (yes, i have a PS3), all my discs are flawless. and i don't have to cough up an extra fee for bluray.

On top of that, i actually have a netflix free trial going on right now, some of the harder to find titles that are "long wait" on BB are only short or no wait on netflix. Beside that tho, i don't get it. Streaming is ok, quality is really all over the place, some is shit, some looks almost DVD quality. I have superbad on right now, it looks like a good CAM bootleg (and yes i have fast cable internet), and that's on my 15" laptop, i can't imagine how it would look on a 40+" 1080P. And selection is meh, although it has gotten much better than like a year ago. I'm really at a loss as to why everyone is all batshit about netflix, beside it being on xbox, and every fanboy having to be all crazy about it on principle.

anyways.......lol. i think this BB game deal will be badass, as long as they let me keep my dirt cheap plan. And i see a lot of people saying they still get game coupons from BB? i haven't seen any of those, ever. Do you have to go dig through the site to find them?

yet another one printed, these are great with an edge card. easy 20% off plus the discount for a used games, games become 10-20 dollars cheaper. This is great

[quote name='jallen']i REALLY don't understand the hate for BB here. I don't know if it's just an extension of xbox fanboyism, but i've had BB online for like a year now, and i couldn't be happier. Given i'm only paying $12 a month for one out at a time and unlimited in store exchange (which was the price a year ago), I don't even have time to watch all the movies i get. I do live very close to a blockbuster, i only bring movies into the store and exchange, and whatever is in my queue gets sent out usually that same day, and in my mailbox the next day. Once they check that mailer in-store, it's immediately reflected in your queue. Only had one disc that was actually cracked, go onto the website and report it and you get a new disc immediately. Netflix makes you wait until they receive said bad disc. And now that i rent almost nothing but bluray (yes, i have a PS3), all my discs are flawless. and i don't have to cough up an extra fee for bluray.

On top of that, i actually have a netflix free trial going on right now, some of the harder to find titles that are "long wait" on BB are only short or no wait on netflix. Beside that tho, i don't get it. Streaming is ok, quality is really all over the place, some is shit, some looks almost DVD quality. I have superbad on right now, it looks like a good CAM bootleg (and yes i have fast cable internet), and that's on my 15" laptop, i can't imagine how it would look on a 40+" 1080P. And selection is meh, although it has gotten much better than like a year ago. I'm really at a loss as to why everyone is all batshit about netflix, beside it being on xbox, and every fanboy having to be all crazy about it on principle.

anyways.......lol. i think this BB game deal will be badass, as long as they let me keep my dirt cheap plan. And i see a lot of people saying they still get game coupons from BB? i haven't seen any of those, ever. Do you have to go dig through the site to find them?[/quote]

It's not that their is service is bad but the way they run their service is what's shitty.

Xbox streaming blows since the library is tiny (thanks to Sony - just business obviously). There are many different ways to get each service's streaming. Its not just strapped down to xbox and pc's. They also have stand alone boxes. Tivo also helps push Netflix over the top for others.

A business can't have everything either. Netflix has xbox and Blockbuster has B&M (instantaneous returns).

BB is getting cheaper than GF & Netflix together but the business as a whole blows. Until there are changes to their model I'm not going to be a customer there any longer so I don't care what service they offer because as of right now they don't execute it well enough for someone like me to drop another service.

And don't bring this "fanboy" fight to the thread. I'm sure there are enough people who own both (but most prefer XBL).

[quote name='jallen']And i see a lot of people saying they still get game coupons from BB? i haven't seen any of those, ever. Do you have to go dig through the site to find them?[/quote]

I've been on the same plan for about 4 years now so I got "grandfathered" in with the coupons. They are found on the "My Account" section. If you dont see any there, then they arent a part of your plan.

BTW: I use my in-store exchanges to get all the new releases. I dont even use the queue for those.

[quote name='iRent']It's not that their is service is bad but the way they run their service is what's shitty.

BB is getting cheaper than GF & Netflix together but the business as a whole blows. Until there are changes to their model I'm not going to be a customer there any longer so I don't care what service they offer because as of right now they don't execute it well enough for someone like me to drop another service.[/quote]

explain. Saying they have a bad business model and that they run their service shitty doesn't explain anything. What's bad and shitty?

[quote name='jallen']explain. Saying they have a bad business model and that they run their service shitty doesn't explain anything. What's bad and shitty?[/quote]

read my previous posts. I believe I have explained my experience.

[quote name='iRent']
They always pull stupid business practices.
-They never check the quality of their discs and when that is the only copy you get unequal compensation (like the time I tried to rent Prince of Persia and they wouldn't give/offer me a refund and instead I got to pick out the next best game that they had/I had not played which turned out to be Quantum of Solace - turned out to be a shitty game after all).
-Also I remember I was trying to rent out 2 360 games and they said that is was a limit 1 "next generation" game. I mean FFS the 360 has been out for years. It's this fucking generation. Then next week I go in and rent out Fable 2 and Fallout 3 for rent one get on half off. Not a word about their retarded policy of 1 game out.
-First video I rented through BBV online was fucking cracked in half. Jesus~ :bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:[/quote]

did you have gamepass? i can understand that you'd be annoyed at a bad disc in store, and bad wording of a policy like that. Cracked discs can happen, it's the mail. BB and netflix send their discs in the same envelopes, but BB takes care of fuck ups immediately if you report it online. netflix waits to receive the disc, as i learned like a week ago. I've gotten one physically cracked disc, and it's been the only bad disc i've gotten in a year. i can't complain. We'll have to see what kind of stock they keep on these online games, but i assume it'll far surpass in-store in at least selection, and hopefully availability.

Blockbuster was on a list of companies not expected to survive the rest of the year. Their ship has already taken on too much water to save it from sinking now. I was a loyal online customer until they pulled that crap where they raised prices AND lowered the membership benefits. I cut them off right then and can't say I'll feel bad when they are finally gone. I'll stick with RedBox for 1 dollar new release and free rentals every Monday.

I don't know where people are getting coupons but I don't have any in "My Account" page. I thought I'd been a member of BBO for a while but according to my billing history it's only been a year, so maybe that's why. I've been looking for a way to rent games from Blockbuster that avoids their game rental plan which I believe is $20 a month to rent 1 game out at a time. I would like at least a discounted rental rate because $8.99 to rent a game is ridiculous. So, if this new plan works out, I wouldn't mind paying an extra $5 a month but I see the availabilty of these games online being worse than Gamefly. I would rather not pay any extra and just be allowed a cheaper game rental rate in-store since the availability of games in-store is a thousand times better than any online rental service.

I'm glad some people here are fond of Gamefly and I for one will never understand why. Maybe they have better coverage now, but when I tried them for a month, the turnaround time I was experiencing for games was at least a week. This is while I was living in Orlando, FL. Now that I'm in Texas, I might try it again since I am quite fond of their "keep it" plan for getting cheap games, but then there's the problem of not even getting games. I would love to know the secret of getting any decent game from GF because I had a queue of about 30 Xbox 360 games and maybe three of them were available, and none of them were good. I'm not trying to flame any GF lovers out there, I just want to know how to build a queue of available games so that you aren't wasting your money and are actually getting games at all times.

[quote name='jallen']did you have gamepass? i can understand that you'd be annoyed at a bad disc in store, and bad wording of a policy like that. Cracked discs can happen, it's the mail. BB and netflix send their discs in the same envelopes, but BB takes care of fuck ups immediately if you report it online. netflix waits to receive the disc, as i learned like a week ago. I've gotten one physically cracked disc, and it's been the only bad disc i've gotten in a year. i can't complain. We'll have to see what kind of stock they keep on these online games, but i assume it'll far surpass in-store in at least selection, and hopefully availability.[/quote]

No gamepass. Had it (or something similar) one year and it definitely was not worth it. @ around $23 unlimited rentals and what not didn't sound so bad until I saw the choice of video games (especially new releases). Had it for a few months.

Yeah I know about reporting it. They do a good job on that. I can't say their online service was all bad. I watched a DVD the day I got it in the mail and returned it within the hour because I saw it and wanted something else. It was marked as received later that day. That's pretty damn fast.

[quote name='metallicoholic']
I'm glad some people here are fond of Gamefly and I for one will never understand why. Maybe they have better coverage now, but when I tried them for a month, the turnaround time I was experiencing for games was at least a week. This is while I was living in Orlando, FL. Now that I'm in Texas, I might try it again since I am quite fond of their "keep it" plan for getting cheap games, but then there's the problem of not even getting games. I would love to know the secret of getting any decent game from GF because I had a queue of about 30 Xbox 360 games and maybe three of them were available, and none of them were good. I'm not trying to flame any GF lovers out there, I just want to know how to build a queue of available games so that you aren't wasting your money and are actually getting games at all times.[/quote]

You should. I'm pretty sure they have a facility in Austin now so turnaround should not be more than a couple days. I live in the greater LA region and returns take only a day. I have received fairly new games fast (medium availability usually ships out that day). Of course those games were not anywhere as popular or as long as GoW2, Fallout 3, etc.

My local blockbuster is a mess, and decided to leave them long ago. I get all the movies I need from Netflix and all my games from Gamefly. I'm not about to switch because all of a sudden blockbuster relizes they have to do something drastic to stay in business.

Gamefly has so much more for gamers than bbv.

Top reason I'm sticking with gamefly:

1. Selection every game every made.
2. 2 games at a time for $22
3. Keep it Option
4. Best Prices on Used Games
5. Reward Dollars
6. Trade-In's

bread's done
Back