Blockbuster - Trade 4 get one free back on!

Traded there before, they will refuse some games so it looks like only games over a certain value will be accepted. YMMV. However they will accept games with no instructions, so it may be a good way to dump those games.

Nop its not any game they only take the top games or new ones.I went there to try and give them 4 games and they refused them all even wwe smackdown vs raw 2009.

[quote name='rmatheso']Traded there before, they will refuse some games so it looks like only games over a certain value will be accepted. YMMV. However they will accept games with no instructions, so it may be a good way to dump those games.[/QUOTE]

Taking games without manual is YMMV. Mine won't take trade-ins without manuals.

[quote name='magiic']Taking games without manual is YMMV. Mine won't take trade-ins without manuals.[/quote]

mine either

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Valid on Games otherwise eligible for trade-in in accordance with Blockbuster’s standards for type of Game, condition of Game and packaging"

[/FONT]Blockbuster's standards? I guess I will remove all of my instruction manuals and take a brillo pad to each game before I decide to trade them in.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Just got back from Ogden Blockbuster in Calgary.

Games you trade in must have at least $8 trade-in value.

Many of my games didn't work. Here's what worked (all 360):

Bully (No Manual) - $10
Wartech (Lol) - $8
Dark Sector - $12
Kane & Lynch (No Manual) - $12

Viking ? - (Didn't trade it in)

Pre-Ordered Fallout 3 (Collector's. Have to pay extra $10 upon pickup)

So yeah, $42 trade in value plus $10 for the $79.99 Collectors edition, kinda decent I guess.

Here's what didn't work (below $8 trade-in) (rest are 360)

Battalion Wars 2 (Wii)
Unreal Tournament 3 (PS3)
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage
Project Silpheed (Wouldn't even take it)
Blacksite: Area 51
The Golden Compass
Turning Point
Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires

Last edited by a moderator:
is there any type of Wiki for trade in Values at Blockbuster like the EB one?
I've got a bunch of old 360 games I wouldn't mind trading but don't feel like bring them all in if they wont work

Last edited by a moderator:
So you trade four games, get store credit and a free game?
Sorry BBV, but if we don't get store credit then the game is not free!

[quote name='slugbug']So you trade four games, get store credit and a free game?
Sorry BBV, but if we don't get store credit then the game is not free![/QUOTE]

No you trade four games and get a new game. It's like trade three at EB only with four games instead of three

[quote name='magiic']No you trade four games and get a new game. It's like trade three at EB only with four games instead of three[/quote]
Well if you stole the games you're trading in then maybe then it would be free, but if you paid for them then the game isn't is it.

So BBV and EB Games are encouraging people to break the law :roll:

[quote name='arnoldrimmer']Is there a min trade in value?[/quote]

it's on anything that they sell for 19.99 used or more.

[quote name='supergrover99']"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Valid on Games otherwise eligible for trade-in in accordance with Blockbuster’s standards for type of Game, condition of Game and packaging"

[/FONT]Blockbuster's standards? I guess I will remove all of my instruction manuals and take a brillo pad to each game before I decide to trade them in.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT][/quote]

Haha ZING

Unless there trade-values are amazing, I think EB's deal is much better now. It used to be good when you could trade any 360, PS3 or Wii games, but if it has a minimum value now EB`s is much better.

I used to trade 4 $5.00 games and get new/pre-order games for $20. LOL

[quote name='KILLER TREKKY']Unless there trade-values are amazing, I think EB's deal is much better now. It used to be good when you could trade any 360, PS3 or Wii games, but if it has a minimum value now EB`s is much better.

I used to trade 4 $5.00 games and get new/pre-order games for $20. LOL[/QUOTE]

Called my local BBV and they said they take most 360, PS3 and Wii games. But they have to have a resell value of 14.99 (value on store shelves). It probably varies by location though.:cry:

eb's deal is still better in my opinion, but there are a bunch of games that don't have the $8 tiv at eb, but that are eligible at blockbuster. a lot of the ea sports games fall into that category. i went to eb w/ nhl 08 for 360 last week...trade in value there was $2, but it was eligible at bbv.

I think the next time I visit BBV or EB I'm going to trade some games for credit and then ask for my free game. If you're trading games which you paid for then the new game is not free now is it. On the other hand if you stole 4 games and then traded them in then the game would be free. Wait, do they want us to commit a crime?

[quote name='slugbug']I think the next time I visit BBV or EB I'm going to trade some games for credit and then ask for my free game. If you're trading games which you paid for then the new game is not free now is it. On the other hand if you stole 4 games and then traded them in then the game would be free. Wait, do they want us to commit a crime?[/quote]

Tell us how it goes, I wonder what they would do. They'd probably give you both if you argued enough to hold up a line;). Technically you are correct, but they'll always give you "that's not what we ment" or try to explain it while changing all the words around. If it workd for you, I might have to try it.

that is awesome. ive never traded at BBV before. hopefully they will take some of my games and offer a higher value than EB that only gives me $2 for.

also, does it have to have the case?
I have a copy of Forza 2 with just the disc and manual..

[quote name='KILLER TREKKY']Tell us how it goes, I wonder what they would do. They'd probably give you both if you argued enough to hold up a line;). Technically you are correct, but they'll always give you "that's not what we ment" or try to explain it while changing all the words around. If it workd for you, I might have to try it.[/quote]

I work at a Blockbuster and I guarantee you--no matter how long that line gets--you would not get credit for your games plus the free game. Personally, I would make constant reminders to the people in line that the wait is due to you. Actually it likely wouldn't get that far; we have the right to refuse any trade for any reason (we don't even have to give one). Check the trade agreement you signed, it's all there. After you leave, a warning on your account would likely be placed letting all of us know what you tried, and you probably wouldn't be able to trade at that location again. So, it's sort of a case of testing your luck in a situation where you know that the free game is in lieu of trade-in value for your games. I guess it depends on how stupid you act, but mostly it would depend on how stupid the employee is (although, I still guarantee you it wouldn't happen).

EB I'm not so sure.

And just so everyone knows, yes, the games must have a value of $15 for us (as in, we can sell it back for $15).

[quote name='summer_star17x']that is awesome. ive never traded at BBV before. hopefully they will take some of my games and offer a higher value than EB that only gives me $2 for.

also, does it have to have the case?
I have a copy of Forza 2 with just the disc and manual..[/quote]

Blockbuster definitely offers higher trade-in values almost all the time, but EB has them beat whenever they have their trade 3 get 1 free deal on.

You might be able to trade Forza 2 but it depends on the store. They could easily sell it with a printed out insert (just a blank sheet of paper that would say "Xbox 360-Forza 2") and barcode, but some stores just don't accept disc only. Definitely YMMV in this case.

(P.S. If they do refuse it, don't argue that they could just print off an insert and barcode like I mentioned, because it's just gonna be a waste of your time. :whistle2:D Like I mentioned in my above post, Blockbuster can refuse any game for any reason.)

[quote name='DMPugh']I work at a Blockbuster and I guarantee you--no matter how long that line gets--you would not get credit for your games plus the free game. Personally, I would make constant reminders to the people in line that the wait is due to you. Actually it likely wouldn't get that far; we have the right to refuse any trade for any reason (we don't even have to give one). Check the trade agreement you signed, it's all there. After you leave, a warning on your account would likely be placed letting all of us know what you tried, and you probably wouldn't be able to trade at that location again. So, it's sort of a case of testing your luck in a situation where you know that the free game is in lieu of trade-in value for your games. I guess it depends on how stupid you act, but mostly it would depend on how stupid the employee is (although, I still guarantee you it wouldn't happen).

EB I'm not so sure.

And just so everyone knows, yes, the games must have a value of $15 for us (as in, we can sell it back for $15).[/quote]

ahh $15?
i just called, the guy at my store said it has to be 19.99

i will go there and trade some games in and see what happens.
i need to preorder Gears 2. i'm so low on cash :cold:

I got a warning for trying to trade in 2 copies of smackdown V raw at the same time during the whole 5$ game deals fiasco.

Which was lame. So the next day I went to a different blockbuster they told me I was warned I said why and they removed the warning.

i just got back from Blockbuster.

I got trade credit for the following Xbox 360 games:
Viva Pinata - $4.00
Kameo - $6.00
Call of Duty 2 - $8.00

Total credit $18.00

i did not qualify for the trade 4 deal. only CoD2 was eligible.
I hope i can go back with 3 other games and still get the trade 4 deal.

also, I tried trading in these games, but they did not accept them:
Hitman Blood Money (PS2), Socom II (Ps2), Phantasy Star Universe (PS2)
they did not take my copy of Forza 2 with just the disc and manual. even though as I browsed their used section, I saw a few games that had just the disc in it and a crappy print out cover with the games name. blargh.

Does anyone know how much BBV sells Gun (360) or Conan (360) for used?

[quote name='summer_star17x']
Does anyone know how much BBV sells Gun (360) or Conan (360) for used?[/quote]

i've seen them both for under $10. i wanna say 7.99 and 9.99 respectively.

[quote name='DMPugh']I work at a Blockbuster and I guarantee you--no matter how long that line gets--you would not get credit for your games plus the free game. Personally, I would make constant reminders to the people in line that the wait is due to you. Actually it likely wouldn't get that far; we have the right to refuse any trade for any reason (we don't even have to give one). Check the trade agreement you signed, it's all there. After you leave, a warning on your account would likely be placed letting all of us know what you tried, and you probably wouldn't be able to trade at that location again. So, it's sort of a case of testing your luck in a situation where you know that the free game is in lieu of trade-in value for your games. I guess it depends on how stupid you act, but mostly it would depend on how stupid the employee is (although, I still guarantee you it wouldn't happen).

EB I'm not so sure.

And just so everyone knows, yes, the games must have a value of $15 for us (as in, we can sell it back for $15).[/quote]

I've never signed a trade agreement any of the times I've traded at BBV. And technically isn't it false advertising, saying that the game is free? Isn't that just like saying "Free game when you give us your 59.99+tax"? Wouldn't it be a bit less misleading if they said "Trade 4 games for a new one"? Doesn't that count as "misleading"? Isn't that against Canadian Law?:roll:

[quote name='DMPugh']Blockbuster definitely offers higher trade-in values almost all the time, but EB has them beat whenever they have their trade 3 get 1 free deal on.

You might be able to trade Forza 2 but it depends on the store. They could easily sell it with a printed out insert (just a blank sheet of paper that would say "Xbox 360-Forza 2") and barcode, but some stores just don't accept disc only. Definitely YMMV in this case.

(P.S. If they do refuse it, don't argue that they could just print off an insert and barcode like I mentioned, because it's just gonna be a waste of your time. :whistle2:D Like I mentioned in my above post, Blockbuster can refuse any game for any reason.)[/quote]

Doesn't EB constantly have that offer on for pre-orders?

[quote name='KILLER TREKKY']I've never signed a trade agreement any of the times I've traded at BBV. And technically isn't it false advertising, saying that the game is free? Isn't that just like saying "Free game when you give us your 59.99+tax"? Wouldn't it be a bit less misleading if they said "Trade 4 games for a new one"? Doesn't that count as "misleading"? Isn't that against Canadian Law?:roll:[/quote]

If you are the account owner and it's your first time trading, we make you sign a trade agreement. If you didn't sign one, then there's something wrong with the store you go to, because you HAVE to sign a trade agreement. It's not something you do every time--just for the initial setup of the trade account.

And sorry, I don't buy your argument. Everyone knows that nothing in life is free. Even "buy 1 get 1 free" offers. You're still not getting anything for "free" because you're buying something. Everyone knows what "trade 4 get 1 free" means. You're trying to find a loophole that just doesn't exist.

[quote name='DMPugh']If you are the account owner and it's your first time trading, we make you sign a trade agreement. If you didn't sign one, then there's something wrong with the store you go to, because you HAVE to sign a trade agreement. It's not something you do every time--just for the initial setup of the trade account.[/quote]

hes right, they do make you sign a paper.
i just signed up for a membership today to trade in my games and i had to sign the agreement.

[quote name='DMPugh']
And sorry, I don't buy your argument. Everyone knows that nothing in life is free. Even "buy 1 get 1 free" offers. You're still not getting anything for "free" because you're buying something. Everyone knows what "trade 4 get 1 free" means. You're trying to find a loophole that just doesn't exist.[/quote]
Trade:the act or process of buying, selling, or exchanging commodities, at either wholesale or retail, within a country or between countries: domestic trade; foreign trade.

Free:provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment: free parking; a free sample.

The second you trade something for something else, it ceases to be "free". I am not looking for a loop hole, I am merely pointing out the fact that the advertisement is misleading.

Oh God, are we really going to argue this? It's not like Blockbuster is doing something out of the ordinary, or trying to scam their customers into trading their games. EB has trade 3 get 1 free. I'm sure many businesses use the same "blah blah blah blah free" method of advertising to get business. Point being, it's not just Blockbuster, and it's not anything new. So get over it.

They're not being misleading at all. They're using the same method of offering a deal as countless other corporations have in the past (and continue to do), and EVERYONE, including you, knows what is meant by trade 4 get 1 free.

"Free game when you trade 4" would seem to imply that after you have traded in 4 games and got your credit for them you get a free game. Just because EB games advertises like this does not make it okay.

Their statement has to be considered misleading if the above is not true, there are no if ands or buts about it.

However just because it is misleading doesnt mean that it is illegal so throwing a temper tantrum because you dont get your trade credits and games is very immature.

[quote name='KILLER TREKKY']I give up:drool:.[/quote]
Best post I've read from you in the entire thread. If you have such an issue with it, write Blockbuster HQ with an alternate phrasing of their advertisement, as opposed to complaining to us. I see where you're coming from, but I have never seen anyone make such a big deal about it.

[quote name='game_fanatic']Best post I've read from you in the entire thread. If you have such an issue with it, write Blockbuster HQ with an alternate phrasing of their advertisement, as opposed to complaining to us. I see where you're coming from, but I have never seen anyone make such a big deal about it.[/quote]

Sorry about that, I just seem to enjoy arguing:roll:.

Not sure where else to put this (a LOOK what I found deal thread would be nice ;)), but Blockbuster at Dufferin and Bloor in Toronto had a number of decent Wii titles for sale, including Umbrella Chronicles and Fire Emblem for $15 apiece.

bread's done
Back