Blogging advise???

racthamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
I'm trying to set up an educational blogging for our school and hasn't been using alot of blog.... I view them but didn't know much of the technology behind them....

here is the list of what I know...

wordpress (to write blog right?)
youtube (to have video on your blog??)
Odeo (to streamline or record audio on your blog?)
wiki (what type of wiki is the best for blogging?)

is there any other service we can incorporate into blogging to make people share knowledge, comment, editing post, group writing?

thanx for any input..

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Blogging should be the least of your school's concerns.[/QUOTE]

Actually, we are REALLY into Wiki, which I absolutely hate :). However, after months of research we came about that we need some type of technology that users can identify with and easily use and then we'll incorporate other technology into it i.e. wiki, podcast, etc. So, we are looking into a blogging type of technology where users can collaborate together and write or comment about certain renown professor who recently passed....

A spellchecker would be great for you. I advise you to take my advice.

Or is would that be grammar? I'm trying to be a smartass but I think I'm out of the proper context. Oh well, either way you didn't spell it right.

[quote name='munch']A spellchecker would be great for you. I advise you to take my advice.

Or is would that be grammar? I'm trying to be a smartass but I think I'm out of the proper context. Oh well, either way you didn't spell it right.[/QUOTE]

haha.. thanx for the suggestion....... hopefully you did understand my question, if yes then my cybertexting ability is fine. Any suggestion on blogging tools? :)

I'm surprised your school is allowing your students to blog at all considering how many schools are actively suppressing free speech to prevent any info about their schools from leaking ie. professors who suck, death threats against other students, etc.

[quote name='racthamp']I'm trying to set up an educational blogging for our school and hasn't been using alot of blog.... I view them but didn't know much of the technology behind them....

here is the list of what I know...

wordpress (to write blog right?)
youtube (to have video on your blog??)
Odeo (to streamline or record audio on your blog?)
wiki (what type of wiki is the best for blogging?)

is there any other service we can incorporate into blogging to make people share knowledge, comment, editing post, group writing?

thanx for any input..[/quote]

I used Blogger.com first as I thought being from Google it would be one of the best. Blogger has lots of problems and you have to hack it like crazy to get it to work well. So I jumped ship to a new server and got Wordpress. Hands down for me and most people that blog this software is easy to learn and has plugins that opens it to everyone. Wordpress is the only one I can recommend for blogging.

[quote name='headpiece747']I used Blogger.com first as I thought being from Google it would be one of the best. Blogger has lots of problems and you have to hack it like crazy to get it to work well. So I jumped ship to a new server and got Wordpress. Hands down for me and most people that blog this software is easy to learn and has plugins that opens it to everyone. Wordpress is the only one I can recommend for blogging.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thank you very much for the reply, I just realized that many of the blogs I visit regularly use wordpress as well. I'll probably try it sometime this week (after finish writing a report to my committee :( )

we are building a collaborative tool for certain member of our college to 'continue' on the legacy of P Drucker.. so I'm not sure if it'll be open to public.. or student.. not sure on the detail... thanx for the input..

i know that wordpress can be plug by youtube, flicker (or whatever that picture service is) how about any type of wiki? can it be 'plug' into worepress as well?

[quote name='racthamp']is there any other service we can incorporate into blogging to make people share knowledge, comment, editing post, group writing?[/QUOTE]

There are many, many tools out there that facilitate knowledge sharing. Your first step should not be your tool choice. Rather, you need to examine the work practices you are attempting to facilitate. Identify your main goals and your target users. Not just "We want to share knowledge" but something more defined like "Math teachers at school X would like to contribute directly to a departmental web page." Examine what has and hasn't worked in the past.

Make sure that everyone is on board, especially the administration. More people are likely to participate with their support and encouragement.

Start with a clear, concise plan for the best overall results.

The only thing my school has ever done was set up its own facebook.

Blogsome
Blogger/blogspot
wordpress

are all great.

Stay away like the devil from the myspace's and livejournals of the net. Really, I see no reason why a school would require a blog.

wordpress is nice. I used movabletype until they turned the free version into a crappy license. Switched to WP and haven't looked back. But if you want to do shared writing wiki is probably you best bet.

bread's done
Back