Blogs.... wtf?

Kayden

Banned
What is the big deal with these? Are they just the next internet trend?

90% of them that I see are all about some massively depressed teen bitching about how life sucks because he had to clean his room. Do people flock to these in the hopes that people will read about their sad existence and pretend to give a damn? I really don't see the point. Why would hundreds of people care if you asked that cute girl out? Whos day would be made by reading about your boring ass trip to see your grandparents?

The only people I can see justifying this kind of attention is... gee... ... Thats right, no one. If I really gave a damn about someones personal life, I'd ask them.

Is it really that stupid... or am I just being an insensitive ass?

I know I don't have to read them. I don't. It just annoys me that they're out there thinking they make some great contribution to the world by posting about their trip to the sale at the GAP. No bitch, I don't care you go TWO pink sweaters for $3.

Err... Did Jimmie die? I swear that bastard just possesed me.

Uhm...blogs have been around for years...it's just recently (in the last 3+years) that the term Blog was coined.

It's just a way for people to have an online journal about anything and everything or keep in touch with family. Some are just random thoughts, happenings, hobbies or very focused subjects.

I'll agree, most are probably of no interest to most; I'm sure you'd be fairly bored with my blog too, but not every web site can make great contributions to the world or the internet, they are what they are.

You've just been reading the wrong blogs or need to move on.

[quote name='Trakan']Sorry Kayden, you're not 1/10th of Jimmie. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I can't say I view that as a bad thing. :lol:

I also despite the vast majority of blogs. I definitely agree that blogs detailing daily minutia are generally wasteful, but the audience isn't the world, it's a few other people. Which begs the damn question, why put it out on the internet for everyone to see in the first place?

However, I discovered that they can be useful for different reasons. A blog might be useful to 3 people in the world and that's it, but that useful can be immense for those affected -- i.e. friends keeping in contact with each other in different countries.

Easy solution for the rest of us - avoid most personal blogs like the plague unless you know the writer personally. Seems that's what most blogs are for, anyway.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']I also despite the vast majority of blogs. I definitely agree that blogs detailing daily minutia are generally wasteful, but the audience isn't the world, it's a few other people. Which begs the damn question, why put it out on the internet for everyone to see in the first place?

However, I discovered that they can be useful for different reasons. A blog might be useful to 3 people in the world and that's it, but that useful can be immense for those affected -- i.e. friends keeping in contact with each other in different countries.

Easy solution for the rest of us - avoid most personal blogs like the plague unless you know the writer personally. Seems that's what most blogs are for, anyway.[/QUOTE]

Oh! Oh! Oh! I have a better solution.... it's called EMAIL! :evil:

I guess it's really depends on the blogs you read. The ones that I read are actually not that bad. I however don't keep a blog because I find that if people wants to know what's happening in my life, they should come talk to me.

[quote name='Kayden']Oh! Oh! Oh! I have a better solution.... it's called EMAIL! :evil:[/QUOTE]I know, it's true in some sense. Personally I'm one of those guys who always hated chain/mass email conversations (especially the kind that involves people RSVPing an event, or some kind of stupid drama), but I will admit (I'm a recent convert, though I have yet to take the plunge and start up a blog) that there are useful things about blog communities, such as friends groups, comment boards, etc.

But believe me, I understand, my vitriol for blogs was unmatched just a few months ago. Even today, reading some blogs of people I used to know in my personal life, long ago, makes me want to throw up, as I care nothing for their activities or melodrama. It wasn't until several of my friends, geographically diverse, suddenly decided to start blogs did I start to get why people like them, or why they are at all useful.

I eventually might start a blog, but I'll probably try to keep it on some topic and make it readable to people who might not know me personally, like a review blog.

I have two blogs. One is private and only available to friends or people I allow to see it. It deals with random musings I have, stupid pointless stuff, LJ memes, etc. I don't like reading other people's crap if I don't know them (honestly who does?) so I don't expect people to read mine. That and it's private so people I don't want to read it can't.

My other blog is one where I write reviews, news and commentary for the gaming scene. I just started it recently and don't have much on it, but I figure it's a more interesting read than "omg liek i cant find a job."

Personal blogs are pretty weak for the most part. However, there are also professional or industry-specific blogs, which are more like daily articles relating to technology etc. The ones authored by well-recognized professionals can be pretty informative.

people are too emo these days. they always find something that's sooo sad they have to quote it and somehow relate it to their life. i hate it when people think they have a bad life when there's thousands of people in the world dying from starvation.

[quote name='Kayden']90% of them that I see are all about some massively depressed teen bitching about how life sucks because he had to clean his room. Do people flock to these in the hopes that people will read about their sad existence and pretend to give a damn? I really don't see the point. Why would hundreds of people care if you asked that cute girl out? Whos day would be made by reading about your boring ass trip to see your grandparents?

The only people I can see justifying this kind of attention is... gee... ... Thats right, no one. If I really gave a damn about someones personal life, I'd ask them.
[/QUOTE]

How about this:

If you care about somebody's personal life (maybe it's interesting; maybe it's useful; maybe you know them), you visit their blog.
If not, you don't.

That system works pretty well for me*; I hope it works for you too.

* Only for blogs about personal lives, of course; some blogs are about specific subjects.

A lot of people have a need to express themselves, just to get something off their chest. They want people to hear what they have to say, but of course you can't simply force people to listen to you. With a blog, people can at least post their thoughts, keep them on record (like a journal) and perhaps the handful of other people who they are closest with/ a complete stranger with a similar view will read the entries, so at least they know their voice has been heard.

Kayden, you just wrote a thread about how much you hate blogs, but what if you had a lot of thoughts about stuff you hate, stuff you think sucks, stuff you don't like, and you posted all of them here on cheapassgamers. We'd all get completely sick of it. Then, perhaps you started a thread called "Stuff Kayden Hates", or you kept everything under your signature, that would be considered a blog.

Of course, a helluvalotof blogs suck, but those are for a much smaller purpose. Maybe the girl who posted about her deal at gap just wanted to tell a friend about the deal, or (more likely) she's just a prissy little bitch who had to show off her haul (hey, we do it all the time in the bragging rights forum). The important point is, you don't have to read it, you don't have to care, and if she's going to devote her posts to that kind of crap, no one will read it, but at least she won't be annoying her friends about it tommorrow.

Finally: CHEAP ASS GAMER WOULD BE CONSIDERED A BLOG!!! It updates daily (or so) with Cheapy's Top Picks so everyone can enjoy them

One time I posted that I needed to borrow someone's lacrosse stick, the next day 3 people brought in their sticks

http://www.maddox.xmission.com/ the best page in the universe can be considered a blog

[quote name='JimmieMac']Most of Kayden's posts are in the OTT. Ironic?[/QUOTE]

It is if you see the see the OTTs as a multi-user blog. In which where they talk about their days or whats pissing them off at work. In that case, it would be ironic.

OOT's seem pretty bloggish to me.

I like lj cause I have a crap memory about some things, so it helps me to be able to go back in my 'pseudo-editted diary' to remember who/what/when/how's.
I don't expect or even appreciate when some people post comments on too many of my posts in a row, but with most of my friends it's much easier to keep in touch with what's happening in their lives this way. (ex of usefulness: ever get sick of telling the same story twenty times? post on your blog, then when your friends ask you, you can fill in any details). also much easier to use to show off pictures, etc, when you're too lazy/busy/humble to warrent your own personal website.

I'm not dedicating a site so my pissing and moaning. I didn't say I don't express myself on the net. What I was refering to is the people that post every detail about their lives whoring themselves out for some sort of attention or recognition. OTTers just blow stuff out our asses. We don't really expect anyone to give a damn. The post gets burried and we move on with our lives.

People with blogs set up their own little shrines to themselves... its so narciscistic...

Posting on a forum is like eating. You do a bit here and there, sometimes you go a bit over board and your belt gets too tight, but overall you're healthy. Making a blog is like gorging yourself until your stomach almost ruptures. Its unsightly and few people want to deal with the messes you make afterwards.

lol, I never expect anyone to give a damn, my blog posts get buried and I move on....*shrug* maybe it's narsisitic but it's not there for anyone else but myself.

I have one. It's like... a website for people who don't know HTML or any coding device.

Not just "bitchy teenage girls" have them, either. Many famous people and otherwise "non-bitchy" people have them. Either way, opinions are opinions.

Check my sig for my Xanga. ;)

BTW: I prefer Xanga to LJ because Xanga allows custom Javascript and HTML coding. Blogspot and Typepad are too generic to me, can't really create your own skins. Oh well, it's all in preference.

[quote name='tauruskatt']lol, I never expect anyone to give a damn, my blog posts get buried and I move on....*shrug* maybe it's narsisitic but it's not there for anyone else but myself.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I made my LJ friends only because people felt they were forced to comment in my lj or read it or whatever. I had people I hardly knew commenting about me and my blogs. People were giving a damn over things that I hardly cared about. So I kept people from feeling obliged to comment on something when all it did was piss them off.

If you don't like reading someone's bitching/moaning, whether you know them or not...don't read it.

bread's done
Back