Bloomberg's Tokyo Game Show Wrap Up Video, Featuring CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Featuring may not be right word, but you should still check out Bloomberg's Mike Firn as he wraps up the Tokyo Game Show and interviews game industry heavy hitters such as David "CheapyD" Abrams. You may have heard of the other guys too. The video is about 20 minutes long, but you only have to wait a minute or so to see the best part.
Watch the video - Bloomberg.com

I like your shirt Cheapy!

Man, you looked about 10x better than Aaron Greenberg, the Microsoft Global Product Manager, and you sound enthusiastic as well.

A lot of 'well-duh' obvious info from Bloomberg.

[quote name='wdwpsu']Online Game Retailer? How much are you selling Temple of Apshai for, Cheapy?[/quote]

I was just about to make that joke!

Cheapy, you should probably worn that you're in it for about 5 seconds. I watched the whole thing thinking that you were going to be in it again but it was just corporate people stating the obvios.

[quote name='drsuper23']Cheapy, you should probably worn that you're in it for about 5 seconds. I watched the whole thing thinking that you were going to be in it again but it was just corporate people stating the obvios.[/quote]'The video is about 20 minutes long, but you only have to wait a minute or so to see the best part.'

I thought that gave it a way. o.o

Watch Cheapy's hands and arms when he is giving the interview. They don't stop for even a second. :) LOLz.

Well, in all fairness, while "Online Retailer" is dead wrong, they didn't have that many options. What is CheapyD's official title? Sole proprietor of Cheap Ass Gamer? That doesn't describe what he actually does for a living, which is operate this site. What should they call him, Gaming Price Comparison Site Webmaster? That's kind of unwieldy. And it also doesn't do much to describe CAG. Video Game/Dvd/Other items Price-Comparison and Trading Site Keeper-Upper and Maintainer?

Interesting...when posed with the question of lack of exclusives for PS3, all the devs go "oh we got nothin' now, but I'm sure PS3 will pick up later". Sounds like everyone's leavin' the ball in Sony's court.

Poor MS guy had to spin a lot with the expected questions about Xbox in Japan, Peter Moore, and Nintendo's unbridled hardware success.

Summary: Cheapy bashes Sony for giving up JACK SHIT NOTHING, besides rumble, which we've had for like ten years.

It's actually a really good piece... I mean, coming from someone who knows the industry it's just the same old shit we all already know, but it's better than most mainstream media outlets can come up with.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Well, in all fairness, while "Online Retailer" is dead wrong, they didn't have that many options. What is CheapyD's official title? Sole proprietor of Cheap Ass Gamer? That doesn't describe what he actually does for a living, which is operate this site. What should they call him, Gaming Price Comparison Site Webmaster? That's kind of unwieldy. And it also doesn't do much to describe CAG. Video Game/Dvd/Other items Price-Comparison and Trading Site Keeper-Upper and Maintainer?[/QUOTE]

How about Videogame Analyst?

[quote name='retail sucks']How about Videogame Analyst?[/quote]

How about analrapist...you know, an analyst/therapist.

Tobias ftw.

[quote name='retail sucks']How about Videogame Analyst?[/quote]
No, there are people who have Videogame Analyst as their job title. What they do is analyze market trends, and make predictions based on that. Really, though, they make wild guesses. They do an infamously crappy job, on average, of making any sort of accurate predictions on anything that isn't so obvious a three-year old could make the leap ("Halo 3 will sell a lot of copies," or something like that). I'm sure there are quite a few analysts who do a good job. But all of the ones I see quoted on televison are the people who were saying the Playstation 3 would be the top selling console of '07. And I'm not talking about predictions made in early '06, I'm talking about predictions made for the two months after the console was released.

I've never seen CheapyD make a market prediction in an official way. But then again, just look at my join date to see how long I've been watching the site.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']No, there are people who have Videogame Analyst as their job title. What they do is analyze market trends, and make predictions based on that. Really, though, they make wild guesses. They do an infamously crappy job, on average, of making any sort of accurate predictions on anything that isn't so obvious a three-year old could make the leap ("Halo 3 will sell a lot of copies," or something like that). I'm sure there are quite a few analysts who do a good job. But all of the ones I see quoted on televison are the people who were saying the Playstation 3 would be the top selling console of '07. And I'm not talking about predictions made in early '06, I'm talking about predictions made for the two months after the console was released.

I've never seen CheapyD make a market prediction in an official way. But then again, just look at my join date to see how long I've been watching the site.[/quote]Then perhaps you should leave it to people who have been here longer than you have. CheapyD has made lots of professional predictions about this industry, quite a few being correct. "Videogame Analyst" is a lot more accurate than "Online Game Retailer."

Anyway, it really doesn't matter, we just found it humorous. There's no need to over-anal everything.

Thats cool stuff Cheapy, I think they should have made your title "Industry Changer", but thats just me.

Thanks for posting this link Cheapy!

PS3 $599 after a $100 price drop? And the thing that says Cheapy is a Video Game Retailer? I mean, come on. This report is inaccurate as hell.

This video is great. I like reporting done by real journalists in a professional manner. All I can find is crap on G4 treating the subject manner like a sock puppet. I want educated discussion on the industry, not a bunch of childish jokes(X-play). I want this industry taken seriously, but until there is a show that talks about games on their own merit in a serious manner, I just don't see it happening. All I see is dumb jokes inserted into vague reviews. Gamehead is a great start, Jeff Keighly and N'Gai seem to be the only one that I can see is getting it right.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Summary: Cheapy bashes Sony for giving up JACK SHIT NOTHING, besides rumble, which we've had for like ten years.[/quote]It's not such a small thing. That'd be like the PS3 not having a D-Pad just two joysticks. It's a move that doesn't make sense.

Imagine if in the next Halo they introduced 4 new weapons but took out the shotgun and pistol. It just wouldn't make sense. On top of that Sony went and lied about it and told you it couldn't be done. Now imagine the same Halo senario and then Bungie tells everyone the shotgun and pistol could not possibly be balanced and make the gameplay fair.

Just for kicks imagine that two map packs later they reintroduce the shotgun and pistol with 'new rebalancing'. I imagine a lot of us would stop taking anything from Bungie's mouth seriously, and that's basically what has happened to Sony with regards to the whole rumble situation. Taking it out was bad. The story they concocted was worse. Reintroducing it back just make them look even more stupid.

[quote name='hufferstl']I like reporting done [...] in a professional manner. All I can find is crap on G4 treating the subject manner like a sock puppet. I want educated discussion on the industry, not a bunch of childish jokes(X-play).[/quote]While I in general agree with you about G4, "X-Play" is the only show I like. In all honesty it's not 'reporting' so much as it is direct game reviews and that's it. For what it is I don't mind the childishness in that context. If you wanna talk about "Attack fo the Show" or "The Feed" or the show that are actually about industry discussion well I yield to you then.

[quote name='hufferstl']I like reporting done [...] in a professional manner. All I can find is crap on G4 treating the subject manner like a sock puppet. I want educated discussion on the industry, not a bunch of childish jokes(X-play).[/quote]While I in general agree with you about G4, "X-Play" is the only show I like. In all honesty it's not 'reporting' so much as it is direct game reviews and that's it. For what it is I don't mind the childishness in that context. If you wanna talk about "Attack fo the Show" or "The Feed" or the show that are actually about industry discussion well I yield to you then.

I haven't watched XPlay in a while, but when I did EVERY review had Bush jokes, or really bad jokes that have nothing to do with the game or its good or bad qualities. Maybe they have changed and I should give it another chance.

G4TV.com(the show) was a great round table discussion show, and that got cancelled pretty quickly. It was hosted most of the time by Tina Wood, Laura Foy and Geoff Keighly. They spoke very openly on the industry and there were zero dumb jokes.

[quote name='Wolfkin']

While I in general agree with you about G4, "X-Play" is the only show I like. In all honesty it's not 'reporting' so much as it is direct game reviews and that's it. For what it is I don't mind the childishness in that context. If you wanna talk about "Attack fo the Show" or "The Feed" or the show that are actually about industry discussion well I yield to you then.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hufferstl']I haven't watched XPlay in a while, but when I did EVERY review had Bush jokes, or really bad jokes that have nothing to do with the game or its good or bad qualities. Maybe they have changed and I should give it another chance.[/quote]Probably not but I didn't mind that because eventually they got to the point. Long as it wasn't as bad as having them say net slang out loud like "pwnd" "lol" or "-orz" I was ok with it. I haven't watched in a while either. I should check it out.

Anyone else having trouble watching vids from bloomberg.com? I get a page saying I need to download windows media player 10 to view, but I currently have the latest version of MP11.

Thanks,
Nicko

bread's done
Back