Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

It's at a local used-cd store here. Just wondering if I should return the crap I bought today and shell out another $15 to get it.

The PQ isn't listed as that great.

The PQ on the first two films isn't very good, Die Hard with a Vengeance is all right, and Live Free or Die Hard looks and sounds great. I picked up that set up for about $70, because I am massive fan of the films. For $43, used or new, you'd have to pry my fingers off the copy.

[quote name='genfuyung']Finally watched the hulk. Loved it. I didnt catch the captain america thing though in the alt opening.[/quote]

I was really dissapointed by this "Easter egg". I was expecting so much more from since the internet nerds were having orgasms about it.

It took me a few times to barely notice it. Someone had to point it out for me and slow frame it

[quote name='CocheseUGA']It's at a local used-cd store here. Just wondering if I should return the crap I bought today and shell out another $15 to get it.

The PQ isn't listed as that great.[/QUOTE]

#1 & 2 aren't probably going to ever look any better than they are now. The only downfall of the set is that DH4 isn't the Unrated cut, but that's only a minor nusiance.

The releases for films on Bluray is way too slow in my book. I mean there's a chunk I still wanna buy that's out now, and more that are coming out, but I love all types of movies MANY of which will probably never see the light of day on Blu. :cry:

Indeed. In a way, though, it really doesn't matter to me, because of the prices. I don't mind paying $20 for a brand-new movie that looks and sounds amazing in HD. But there are so many catalog titles that I refuse to buy, because I'm not paying the same price for minimal improvement over DVD.

Picked up the BluRay AC/DC No Bull at Wal-Mart. It ranged up at $10 that's what the regular edition sells for, Chicago Illinois btw. It could be YMMW.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Picked up the Die Hard set today. The discs are translucent. Weird.[/QUOTE]

There's actually quite a few translucent Blu Ray discs. Almost all the Universal ones I've seen are, in addition to the newer Paramount discs.

EA can go screw themselves for putting a digital copy with the dead space movie and not having it be iphone compatible.

Jerks.

On a positive note, picked up SIN CITY and Young People F****** on blu-ray in canada.. along with nightmare on elm street on blu ray as well :)

Sin city is amazing.. young people was funny as hell.. havent watched nightmare yet.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']EA can go screw themselves for putting a digital copy with the dead space movie and not having it be iphone compatible.

Jerks.

On a positive note, picked up SIN CITY and Young People F****** on blu-ray in canada.. along with nightmare on elm street on blu ray as well :)

Sin city is amazing.. young people was funny as hell.. havent watched nightmare yet.[/quote]

Get yourself DVD Fab Platinum. I use it to convert my DVD's and Video Files into MP4 format for my iphone.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Get yourself DVD Fab Platinum. I use it to convert my DVD's and Video Files into MP4 format for my iphone.[/quote]

Never heard of it.. link to it or is it a program i buy in store?

Gift.

What I really want is Children of Men (euro edition) as I've seen nothing about a domestic release in a year.
The only thing holding me back is its DD only soundtrack.

Which is very good on it's own. But makes me salivate at the thought of a lossless one.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Frosty The Batman']How long's that UK sites deal going on?
I definitely want Transformers and didn't know it was UK only.[/quote]
Really don't know.
Looks like they shipped my movies out the very next day. I should have them this week. Pretty good.

[quote name='Deadpool']Oh GLORY!!! Lookie what i got!!
[/quote]
hahaha i feel bad for those who paid more than 100 bucks for that set on hd dud. Poor souls :(

I like how the case is the exact same for the DVD VERSION..

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']hahaha i feel bad for those who paid more than 100 bucks for that set on hd dud. Poor souls :(

I like how the case is the exact same for the DVD VERSION..[/QUOTE]

Since they were able to sell them for far more then $100 after I doubt that.

Have we had any comparisons between the two or are we already in the assume mode that the BD is better? Because I'd be more then happy to point to several releases where the HD DVD remains superior - even though it came out first.

Just picked up the Planet of the Apes box set. Two things that I do not like about it are 1) the way the discs fit in the case and 2) the fact that they do not include the new movie from 2001.

The way the disc fits in the case is just bull shit and they could have well should have done it differently. They just have this circule that seems to be made of rubber cement that they use to hold that paper that is usually on the back of box sets. It seems like it will come off easly and the disc to me does not seem to fit on it as well as it did once you take it off. So I suggest getting cases for them.

The second thing is the fact that it does not include the 2001 movie. I'm sure most people do not like it however I didn't think it was all that bad. It would have been nice to see this as one large box set of the movies and the tv show like they did in the past but this time on BD.

Other then that this set seems great. The picture looks good and the audio even on my tv is really nice. If you are into the movies I suggest you pick it up but also get some other cases to put the discs in.

GizmoGC could you point on the HD DVDs that are superior to the BD? I stll wouldn't mind picking up some HD DVDs seeing how I can still play them and would like to get the better of the 2.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Since they were able to sell them for far more then $100 after I doubt that.
[/QUOTE]

No, I totally regret importing Band Of Brothers and Equilibrium.

Here I wasted $110 and only got $240 in return. Boy am I a dumbass :lol:

[quote name='sendme']

GizmoGC could you point on the HD DVDs that are superior to the BD? I stll wouldn't mind picking up some HD DVDs seeing how I can still play them and would like to get the better of the 2.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a list handy...but many Warner HD DVDs have either a TrueHD or DD+ track while the BD does not (a good example is Happy Feet). Also several Universal BDs dropped features and added some EE/DNR (End of Days, Both Mummy Films, U-571, Thing).

[quote name='Sporadic']No, I totally regret importing Band Of Brothers and Equilibrium.

Here I wasted $110 and only got $240 in return. Boy am I a dumbass :lol:[/QUOTE]

Idiot! :lol: :cool:

[quote name='mrmagoo1974']:drool: Have you watched it yet? How is Video and Audio quality?[/QUOTE]

I just watched the first bit of it, and it's pretty friggin fantastic. I want to dedicate sunday night for a good deal of it and then finish it on monday :booty:

I just ordered Pride & Prejudice (1995 BBC version) and Bleak House on Bluray from Amazon UK for my wife for Christmas. The November release on P&P (in the US) was pulled and rumor is it won't see a release until next year. Came up to roughly $37 each.

While I was there, I noticed Equilibrium is up for preorder on BD - should be coming out in December if that's to be trusted.

Also, why do they have such a better b2g1 selection than Amazon US? :cry:

[quote name='GizmoGC']I don't have a list handy...but many Warner HD DVDs have either a TrueHD or DD+ track while the BD does not (a good example is Happy Feet). Also several Universal BDs dropped features and added some EE/DNR (End of Days, Both Mummy Films, U-571, Thing).[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what EE/DNR is? I guess anything from Warner and Universal I want to see I should get on HD and not BD then. It would be nice if they would stop this BS of including something in one set but not another. I can see them making a standard edition and an extra/director/collectors edition with more but that should be the end of it. I don't like this where the BD has less then the HD and some times the HD has less then even the DVD. With BD/HD people pay a higher price and shuld get more then just video and audio quality.

edge enhancement - supposed to make it sharper, takes away detail from the picture

digital noise reduction - gets rid of things like grain, dirt, scratches, etc. leads to artifacts

[quote name='GizmoGC']I don't have a list handy...but many Warner HD DVDs have either a TrueHD or DD+ track while the BD does not (a good example is Happy Feet). Also several Universal BDs dropped features and added some EE/DNR (End of Days, Both Mummy Films, U-571, Thing).[/quote]

Warner sucks.

their new releases are still getting that bull "DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1" even though they said they wouldnt after speed racer.

Freaking liers.. I boycotted all warner releases until they put high-res audio on them.. Im not rebuying titles.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Warner sucks.

their new releases are still getting that bull "DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1" even though they said they wouldnt after speed racer.

Freaking liers.. I boycotted all warner releases until they put high-res audio on them.. Im not rebuying titles.[/QUOTE]

You know you are going to get Dark Knight reguardless :lol:

Bought hellboy 2 last night at FYE.

Great pq/aq.

Gotta buy the collectors edition tomorrow at best buy and return the FYE regular edition :) I want my figure.

Was gonna grab CHUCK SEASON 1, but its dolby digital.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may or may not have been mentioned but for those who don't know bestbuy has kungfu panda bluray/dvd with free PO figure. I tried to do instore pickup but everything in my area was out. so i had it shipped for $2.

[quote name='NegativeZero']It may or may not have been mentioned but for those who don't know bestbuy has kungfu panda bluray/dvd with free PO figure. I tried to do instore pickup but everything in my area was out. so i had it shipped for $2.[/quote]

the figurine is like an inch tall.. I grabbed five of them and the cashier was like "meh" and scanned them all for free lol.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Bought hellboy 2 last night at FYE.

Great pq/aq.

Gotta buy the collectors edition tomorrow at best buy and return the FYE regular edition :) I want my figure.

Was gonna grab CHUCK SEASON 1, but its dolby digital. [/quote]

It's $35 at DeepDiscount.com after the 25% deal that's going on.

bread's done
Back