Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

Anyone know if B&M stores are going to get the special first pressing slipcase and artbook for Akira? Amazon shows product images with and without. BB shows the slipcover but doesnt mention it in the description. Im still hoping (magically) that we get the black bluray case like the asia release did.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Here's another announcement I wasn't expecting so soon:

Let The Right One In is already set for release. Didn't think this would even come to America, probably only did since a shitty Americanized remake is planned and they want to expose us to the original, a la The Ring and Ringu.

http://www.amazon.com/Let-Right-Blu..._bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1234490767&sr=8-3

Over $25, so no need for free shipping filler![/QUOTE]
I was afraid that they would withhold the release here in the US until after the remake comes out, which is what they did with [REC]. However, it will be a while before the remake comes out, so I guess they just said screw it.
The producers of the remake will have a very hard time duplicating what makes "LTROI" special. It's really a simple premise, and it's not so much the story that's so great, it's the execution (pun intended).;)

[quote name='GizmoGC']After that crap-filled Blu-ray release its no wonder they chose to re-release it. I'll stick to my HD DVD steelbook import ;)[/quote]

It would have had to have SOME CRAP in it to be filled :)

[quote name='GizmoGC']After that crap-filled Blu-ray release its no wonder they chose to re-release it. I'll stick to my HD DVD steelbook import ;)[/quote]

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Ditto :cool:[/quote]Not all of us fork out money on HD-DVD imports. ;)

[quote name='shrike4242']Not all of us fork out money on HD-DVD imports. ;)[/QUOTE]

You mean $20-$25? Probably cheaper then the new BD :cool:

Damn, i dropped 32.46 on Akira, atleast it was the slipcover and book version, although blue bluray case not black :( oh well. Hope its worth it.

So that beverely hills chihuaha or whatever movie came in today. GREAT looking and sounding film. The film tho.. meh.

I havent watched primal fear yet.. it comes in a sweet ass case w/ nice artwork tho :)

Wasn't Ronin released today?

EDIT: It was. Ice or Gizmo, did either of you get it?

Fail for putting Sex Drive in the title and not Ronin.:)

[quote name='Taboner']My Passion of the Christ shipped today. I'll report on that.[/quote]

Great PQ/AQ. Huge special features. Great choice for a purchase.

[quote name='neocisco']Wasn't Ronin released today?

Fail for putting Sex Drive in the title and not Ronin.:)[/QUOTE]

Yep. Sex Drive is likely to sell more copies than Ronin. Especially since it looks like crap with a 2 year old encode and no special features.

Fail for putting Sex Drive in the title and not Ronin.:)[/quote]

I didn't get it, I didn't know what it was so I didn't know lol.

[quote name='neocisco']Really. I was under the impression it had all of the features from the DVD double dip. That's disappointing.[/QUOTE]

It has none. It's an MPEG2 encode on a single layer disc -- a 1st gen BD title that took a long time to get released here, for whatever reason. :(

Fail for putting Sex Drive in the title and not Ronin.:)[/quote]AVSForum.com had a review of it, and they said the PQ/AQ were good, though none of the special features from the DVD re-release were in it.

I smell double-dip in this one, though as it took them this long to put it out, I doubt it.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I had checked DVDTalk but no review there. You'd think this was a Fox release with it being bare-bones.

I was thinking about Master and Commander (Fry's, $13.99) but considering it has almost no extras from the CE DVD (which I have) I think I have to pass. Way to go, Fox (Cast Away, Man On Fire, Independence Day, etc.).

[quote name='neocisco']Thanks for the info, everyone. I had checked DVDTalk but no review there. You'd think this was a Fox release with it being bare-bones.

I was thinking about Master and Commander (Fry's, $13.99) but considering it has almost no extras from the CE DVD (which I have) I think I have to pass. Way to go, Fox (Cast Away, Man On Fire, Independence Day, etc.).[/quote]

Hey now.. Fox "normally" isn't that bad.. :)

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Hey now.. Fox "normally" isn't that bad.. :)[/quote]

Says the guy that thought Segal wasn't "that bad".

Sorry, gotta do it dOOd. lol

Anybody pick up or see JCVD? I do not have a clue what its about, I just know it has Jean Claude Van damme in it, and he deserves an oscar for the movie claims some critics

[quote name='Poor2More']Anybody pick up or see JCVD? I do not have a clue what its about, I just know it has Jean Claude Van damme in it, and he deserves an oscar for the movie claims some critics[/quote]

my brother said it was excellent

[quote name='DestroVega']my brother said it was excellent[/quote]

I just bought it on Blu, it seems really interesting, and "gulp" Critics claimed Van damme can now be considered a very good actor, more then Segal can ever say

[quote name='VipFREAK']I have no problems watching Van Damme over... :thinks: Yeah, ok... I have no problems watching Van Damme over anything from Segal.[/quote]

Thats crossing the line there bud. Im sorry, but it is.

Segal>Van Damme

any day of the week.

Traffic on 3/10. It doesn't have the Criterion extras though (not that I expected it to). I'll be waiting for a cheap sale on this one.

[quote name='neocisco']Traffic on 3/10. It doesn't have the Criterion extras though (not that I expected it to). I'll be waiting for a cheap sale on this one.[/QUOTE]

If it's anything like the HD-DVD transfer, it will look like crap.

[quote name='lolwut?']Anyone know who has the best deal on Sex Drive on Blu-Ray? Best Buy was $30 and the Target I went to only had it on DVD[/quote]

Just wait a week or two on it. Someone will drop it to $20.

Hell, madagascar 2 took what? Two weeks at most :)

[quote name='wowzors']Akira is good picture quality, but the real attraction is the sound, it sounds amazing in dolby True HD.[/QUOTE]

Thats all I needed to hear. Thanks. :D

Be jealous.

Here are some pics:

Notice the advertisement shows the old artwork for South Park. Glad they changed it- the new one rocks!

[quote name='GizmoGC']Be jealous.

Here are some pics:

Notice the advertisement shows the old artwork for South Park. Glad they changed it- the new one rocks![/quote]How's the PQ/AQ?

Also, I'm assuming this is a domestic release?

[quote name='shrike4242']How's the PQ/AQ?

Also, I'm assuming this is a domestic release?[/QUOTE]

Really nice on both. Keep in mind they are in 1080i and not 1080p. Its domestic. Exactly what you will see in 2 weeks at Best Buy, Target etc.

JCVD on Blu-ray and DVD will be released late April, Blockbuster has an exclusive deal with the studio for a early release rental (Movie available now at Blockbuster)

bread's done
Back