Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

My mom works for Disney, and our family has a lot of blu-ray movies but lack a blu-ray player. And no, I don't have a PS3. I'm not stupid.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Transformers is out on Blu-Ray, in the UK though. I have my region free imported copy.

It might be OOP though.[/QUOTE]

I have that too. Guess I should try to sell it before it's too late, I'd much rather have the US release, I hate UK fat cases.

[quote name='bdslive']my mom works for disney, and our family has a lot of blu-ray movies but lack a blu-ray player. And no, i don't have a ps3. I'm not stupid.[/quote]

...k?

[quote name='shrike4242']Since I know people were waiting on this:

5 out of 5 on video and audio. :d...poor PQ tipping me out of the "buy" category.

In other news, some teaser information about the Alien Anthology box set:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4395

[quote name='Scorch']Good god almighty, YES. I'm SO excited now!! I was watching this on DVD the other night and it looked TERRIBLE. It looked like a bootleg or something. It was extremely hard to watch. I can't wait for this.[/QUOTE]I can only hope that this will be the level of PQ and AQ we get out of Spielberg's other movies, like Saving Private Ryan, since that is the next one out of the gate behind this one, I think.

There was no reason this movie couldn't look as good as it appears to look on BR, as long as they just take the time to do it right.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Now this is an example of good PQ tipping me into the "buy" category. I was on the fence but I would love to see what it looks like.

LOTR would be an example of poor PQ tipping me out of the "buy" category.[/QUOTE]Sub-standard PQ for some movies on the cheap, I can live with. LOTR isn't one of them, as well as Minority Report.

I wasn't gonna shell out for this version of LOTR anyway.
Hopefully, this further retards sales & they decide to do something about it for the Extended cuts.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Nightmare on Elm Street...all the Special Features are in HD :)

Got my review copy...woot woot![/QUOTE]

I'm thinking about getting it since it comes with free movie cash for the remake. Amazon should include it right or am better off getting it from the store?

[quote name='klwillis45']I wasn't gonna shell out for this version of LOTR anyway.
Hopefully, this further retards sales & they decide to do something about it for the Extended cuts.[/QUOTE]

it'll be a huge release, and the EE probably won't be out for another year.

[quote name='perdition(troy']it'll be a huge release, and the EE probably won't be out for another year.[/QUOTE]

That's fine, I'm patient and have no problem waiting a year for the superior version. It's not like I can't still watch on DVD if I get a hankerin'.

GBP to USD is roughly 1.5x.. no need for currency translators :)

I hope it's region free.

And Linkin - "Steelie"? Really? Really?

//edit: apparently it IS region free - and not only that, the pic appears to be a smidge better on the EU release! However, according to the guys on the br forum, the movie occupies 47.2gb of a 47.8gb disc.. meaning the special features will probably not be in HD on the UK version. Oh well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=18440460&postcount=135

anyone have opinions and differences on the two editions of "Watchmen"? finally read the book this week on vacation and dying to see the movie now, no matter how good it is. (doubt it can be that good)

Don't know how true it is as I was able to get it to work on my PC but some are reporting that early copies of Avatar are not working on their players. I read this in a thread on HDD.com. Don't know if it was posted yet but thought I would give a heads up.

DestroVega, I liked the theatrical release much more. The added scenes in the director's cut were really unneccessary, and one of scenes was really really corny.

There is a lot of grain in Minority Report. Got a chance to check it out early at work. Wasn't impressed, but it may have been the tv. The sound was great, though.

[quote name='Scorch']There is a lot of grain in Minority Report. Got a chance to check it out early at work. Wasn't impressed, but it may have been the tv. The sound was great, though.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? God damn it with the anticipated releases sucking it up

The Fifth Element
Gladiator
Gangs of New York
Lord of the Rings
Minority Report

Edit-This blu-ray.com review mentions grain but seems to indicate it enhances the film, not detracts from it http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Minority-Report-Blu-ray-Review/8685/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DestroVega']anyone have opinions and differences on the two editions of "Watchmen"? finally read the book this week on vacation and dying to see the movie now, no matter how good it is. (doubt it can be that good)[/QUOTE]

Since this is CAG, after all, if you want Watchmen on bluray, if you have a PS3, search out the Watchmen Complete Experience. It's $20 new now, and you get the bluray of the movie (director's cut, not ultimate) and two beat em up arcade style games.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Next week, Avatar DVD for $5 @ CVS after $15 instant saving over $25 on any of these product.

Credit to www.iheartcvs.com[/QUOTE]Not bad, maybe I'll just get the dvd now and wait for the blu in Nov.

[quote name='sendme']Don't know how true it is as I was able to get it to work on my PC but some are reporting that early copies of Avatar are not working on their players. I read this in a thread on HDD.com. Don't know if it was posted yet but thought I would give a heads up.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy has recall notices up in stores notifying customers they may need to update their firmware to play the movie. Oh, and the Geek Squad will help you for $29.99.

Everyone wanted Blu-ray to win and now we get weekly changes to the BD+. It's nearly impossible to take screenshots of Blu-rays because every week the BD+ changes and we need a update (which comes way later).

So I ended up picking up Avatar as a reward (didn't pay anything for it) from work. I was able to pick out any DVD/Blu Ray under $20 and I have everything else I want so I figured why not.

Anyway, I must say I am absolutely stunned by the picture quality. Even on 1080i it was an amazing picture to see and definitely worth them using the whole disc for it. I'm still not excusing them neglecting to have a second special features disc though as I still don't feel like the lack of features is worth paying even $20 for.

Anyone that works at best buy was their a memo sent out saying to clearance all the BluRays some time in the next few months? I have someone at work telling me that he was told this buy a Best Buy employee and I keep telling him it is bullshit and not going to happen. If something was said about it then I would have read it here or on HDD.com. I'm only posting this asking on the off chance that I did miss something and the stores did get a memo saying that. He said it has to do with some new format comeing out and all I can think of is the 3d but I don't see how that would get rid of BluRay. Atleast not for the next 5 to 10 years and by then another format will be comeing out.

^ as crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't be shocked.

They have basically scaled back their CD selections to nothing. movies would be a logical next step to scale back to nothing.

[quote name='sendme']Anyone that works at best buy was their a memo sent out saying to clearance all the BluRays some time in the next few months? I have someone at work telling me that he was told this buy a Best Buy employee and I keep telling him it is bullshit and not going to happen. If something was said about it then I would have read it here or on HDD.com. I'm only posting this asking on the off chance that I did miss something and the stores did get a memo saying that. He said it has to do with some new format comeing out and all I can think of is the 3d but I don't see how that would get rid of BluRay. Atleast not for the next 5 to 10 years and by then another format will be comeing out.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Monster vs Aliens 3D just came out and it only works on the Samsung 3D player which the movie is bundled with. I wouldn't be surprised if most high budget movies start coming out on DVD/BD/3D in 2-3 years.

[quote name='Scorch']:rofl:[/QUOTE]

Thats what I did when the guy told me this. I spent about 10 minutes telling him that he was wrong but I guess he thinks he knows more then me or atleast this best buy person he talked to does. As for the person with best buy I talked to I just thought well I will see it when they start to come out set up for the 3d players. Any idea as to when the 3d movies will start to come out that are made just for the 3d players?

3D doesn't stand much chance of mass market penetration. It's extremely cost-prohibitive when you factor in that you need an extra set of glasses for every person watching. 3D is a theater gimmick that TV manufacturers are trying to wedge into TV's to juice sales. It's nothing to worry about, IMO.

As far as BB phasing out BR, Scorch summed it up pretty well. That particular BB employee's store is more likely doing a reset of their floor and will be rearranging the BR section. Phased out? Highly, highly unlikely.

[quote name='neocisco']3D doesn't stand much chance of mass market penetration. It's extremely cost-prohibitive when you factor in that you need an extra set of glasses for every person watching. 3D is a theater gimmick that TV manufacturers are trying to wedge into TV's to juice sales. It's nothing to worry about, IMO.

As far as BB phasing out BR, Scorch summed it up pretty well. That particular BB employee's store is more likely doing a reset of their floor and will be rearranging the BR section. Phased out? Highly, highly unlikely.[/QUOTE]I'll worry about 3D on my TV when it comes around to be something that's the norm and not the exception. By the time my TV's warranty is up, at the end of next year, it might be a bit more prevalent than it is now, and I'd start thinking about it. Not until then, especially when I'd need a new receiver and multiple sets of 3D glasses.

And I'm sure BB is working towards flushing out another dead format, BluRay. ;) I guess the next dead format, DVD, will be next.

[quote name='DestroVega']I also thought Minority Report was meant to look "grainy"[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I thought the look was due to the cinematography and what Spielberg was trying to go for.

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']Just finishhed watching Avatar on Bluray and I have to say I was quite pleased . I wish I could have seen it in 3D though[/QUOTE]

Same here, I was really impressed with the movie and I now wish I had watched in the theater as well. Good news though, its coming back to theaters around August with an extended cut.

True Blood S2 just showed up on my doorstep yesterday. Pretty much identical packaging to Season One except the got rid of that silly 'slip' that covers up the spine.

[quote name='perdition(troy']is zombieland actually worth $20 of amazon credit? or is it a movie you wait to find a few years down the road at ten bucks[/QUOTE]

I dunno, there's been very few sales on Zombieland so far. On the other hand, I think in a few years down the road most blu rays are going to be around $10. Just look at DVD.

[quote name='perdition(troy']is zombieland actually worth $20 of amazon credit? or is it a movie you wait to find a few years down the road at ten bucks[/QUOTE]

Have you seen it yet? I know some people that like it, but they're all teenagers. I thought it was a horrible movie and I like Superbad and all versions of Dawn of the Dead.

Details about the GI Joe Animated Movie :br:

BONUS FEATURES AVAILABLE SPECIAL COLLECTORS EDITION:
• Audio commentary with story consultant Buzz Dixon
• The final 8 “Knowing Is Half The Battle” PSAs that were not on the G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero – The Complete Series DVD box set.
• Original Printable Screenplay –this script was written prior to DUKE’s miraculous recovery and, thus, DUKE is dead. The script was not altered from this version on paper, but the audio session had an added line where Duke was going to survive the attack.
• Art gallery
• Blu-ray + DVD Combo Pack Exclusive: Optional 16x9 Widescreen and 4x3 Full Frame Presentations

July 27! :whee:

does anybody know when the extended versions of lord of the rings trilogy will be out. Screw the theatrical versions. Im not double dipping. Also has anyone seen the blu-ray versions and are they any good?

The studios haven't said a word about if they were going to put out the EE's.

I've seen them. The third is the best transfer, the second was pretty good as well, and the first was the more flawed of the three.

The sound in all three of them is perfect.

bread's done
Back