Blu-ray Glitch List - Titles you might want to avoid.

Ruined

CAGiversary!
Thought this might be helpful to those just getting into BD :)

(UPDATED 3/30/09)

CONFIRMED CURRENT PROBLEM USA BDs
***Releases highlighted in red have problems being ignored by the studio***
007: For Your Eyes Only
* An issue with one of the BD-J files may cause your player to freeze
! Fox has a replacement program available: 1-888-223-2FOX

* Severe jaggies persist throughout the film.
! Weinstein has not addressed this as of 1/14/09

3:10 to Yuma
* Significant chroma fringing/errors in transfer, most visible during credits (rainbow colors around edges of text).
! LionsGate does not consider this an issue

Baraka (Horrible cardboard eco-pak edition)
* Some copies freeze at 1hr 13mins mark. A batch of the initial run of discs in the poorly-made cardboard case had significant manufacturing issues which some players are more sensitive to than others.
! MPI has a replacement program available

Blade Runner (slimline case)
* Some copies do not have the final cut on Disc 1 as it should be, instead having a repeat of the workprint disc
! Warner has a replacement program available

The Descent (MPEG2)
* Significant chroma fringing/errors in transfer, most visible during credits (rainbow colors around edges of text). AUS version is unaffected.

Die Hard 2
* DTS-HDMA lossless track incorrectly flagged as DTS-HD lossy, resulting in lossy output or no sound at all on some setups
! Fox has began to collect addresses of people with a problem to resend a second set of replacement discs when available (first replacement was the same disc)
Support contacts: [email protected] -and- [email protected]
However as of 1/8/09 Fox still has failed to send out fixed replacement discs; UK and AUS copies are not affected.

Dirty Dancing
* Master appears to have been incorrectly scaled prior to encoding, resulting in severe jaggies.

District B13
* The only English subtitle option for this foreign movie is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired, resulting in sound effects being written out in the subtitles. This can be irritating for those who are not hearing impaired, an additional standard subtitle track would have been preferable.
! Magnolia does not consider this an issue

Enter the Dragon
* Master was incorrectly filtered prior to encoding resulting in severe jaggies; effective disc resolution is 960x1080.
! Warner does not consider this an issue, and states a new master must be struck to fix the problem.

Event Horizon
* Image is vertically stretched at times, resulting in "thin" faces and image distortion.
! Paramount has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

The Fugitive
* Master was incorrectly filtered prior to encoding resulting in severe jaggies; effective disc resolution is 960x1080.
! Warner does not consider this an issue, and states a new master must be struck to fix the problem.

Gulliver's Travels
* Aspect ratio is incorrect, cropped from 1.37:1 to 1.78:1.
! Koch does not consider this an issue.

Halloween
* Color balance during night scenes deviates from the filmmakers intentions
! Anchor Bay/Starz does not consider this an issue.

Harold and Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo Bay
* There are popping noises at branch points when listening to the fully decoded lossless DTS-MA soundtrack.
! New Line is aware of the issue, but no replacement program has been announced.

Immortal
* Right channel effects and center channel effects are swapped in TrueHD soundtrack.
! First Look Pictures has not announced a replacement program.

King of California
* Jaggies are noticable at times throughout the movie, possibly a low quality upconvert from 720p master.
! First Look Pictures has not addressed this as of 1/14/09

Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same (both original release and re-release)
* 7-second TrueHD soundtrack dropout at 1:40:45, confirmed encoding error that affects all players. Lossless HD DVD version and lossy soundtracks on both versions are not affected.
! Warner has done a "silent release" of a corrected Blu-ray Disc. The files on the correctly authored disc are dated March 2008.

Let the Right One In
* Subtitle translation is incorrect.
! Magnolia does not consider this an issue and is not issuing replacements; instead, they will release a new version in the future with correct subtitles for purchase. Return your disc if you are dissatisfied with the incorrect subtitle translation.
http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/03/let_the_wrong_subtitles_in_to.html

Lethal Weapon 2

Lost: Season 3
* On some copies, Disc 5 is a duplicate of Disc 1.
! Disney has a replacement program available.

Lost: Season 4
* The first 2 seconds of audio may be cut off when starting playback of an episode
! Disney has not addressed this issue as of 1/19/09

Matrix Revolutions
* Image breaks up or jumps at 1:45:46
! Warner appears to be coordinating a replacement program for this issue, but no discs are available yet. Click here for more info. Note that the UK version may not be affected by this glitch.

Next
* Severe jaggies throughout the film
! Paramount has failed to respond to this issue as of 1/14/09

The Night of the Werewolf/Vengeance of the Zombies
* Severe A/V lag during playback. All copies may not be affected.
! BCI does not consider this an issue

Paris, je t'aime
* The only English subtitle option for this foreign movie is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired, resulting in sound effects being written out in the subtitles. This can be irritating for those who are not hearing impaired, an additional standard subtitle track would have been preferable.
! First Look Pictures has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

Priceless
* The only English subtitle option for this foreign movie is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired, resulting in sound effects being written out in the subtitles. This can be irritating for those who are not hearing impaired, an additional standard subtitle track would have been preferable. Also, there are no english subtitles at all for the french extras included!
! First Look Pictures has failed to address this issue as of 1/19/09

Roy Orbison: Black and White Night
* Aspect ratio is incorrect, cropped from 1.37:1 to 1.78:1.
! Image Entertainment has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

Starship Troopers
* Editing error where a few frames of the movie are repeated, omitting what should actually be seen. Example: Faulty version --Corrected version.
! Sony has a replacement program available

Species
* Authoring error where attempting to access the subtitle options via the main menu or the pop-up menu results in freezing of the player controls. This has been confirmed by paidgeek, a Sony insider. The subtitles can still be accessed properly via the subtitle button on the player's remote.
! No replacement program is planned for this

Sukiyaki Western Django
* Right channel effects and center channel effects are swapped in TrueHD soundtrack.
! First Look Pictures has not announced a replacement program.

The Truman Show
* Image is horizontally stretched, resulting in overly "fat" faces and distortion.
! Paramount has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

Unbreakable
* PCM soundtrack popping/distortion in rear right surround at 8:30-8:32. Also a popping noise is heard in the center channel at 1:28:21.
! The UK version has a 16bit/48khz 5.1 PCM track that is unaffected by this issue.
! Disney has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

Young Guns
! LionsGate has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

UNCONFIRMED or EQUIPMENT-SPECIFIC BD GLITCHES
Chicago
* PCM soundtrack popping/distortion
! Need more information to determine if this is a disc issue

PAST INCIDENTS - You'd be unlikely to find these problem discs in stores today, as they were fixed long ago.
Blade Runner
* Some copies do not have the workprint on Disc 5 as it should be, instead having a repeat of the final cut disc

Chronos
* Some copies had an issue that prevented playback in some cases
! RBFilms has a replacement program available

The Descent (OOP/AVC release only)
* Movie file(s) were located in the wrong directory, making the disc unplayable in some cases. Serious chroma errors are visible in transfer, especially on credits.
! Title was recalled

The Fifth Element (OOP/original release)
* This title does not have any glitches, but it is being included because it has a poor transfer and the manufacturer is offering a free upgrade to the newer version w/ better transfer.
! Sony has a replacement program available.

Full Metal Jacket (OOP/original release only - original cover has white background)
! Warner has released a remastered BD with new artwork that is full 1080p resolution.

The Incredible Hulk
* In Canada, some early copies of the initial run of this title mistakenly have Ang Lee's earlier "Hulk" film in the case instead of the newer Incredible Hulk film.
! Universal has a replacement program available.

Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl
* Framing error
! Disney has a replacement program available

Speed
* Some copies had an issue that prevented playback in some cases
! Fox has a replacement program available

Stargate
* Early copies were missing subtitles for a portion of the movie
! LionsGate has corrected the issue with a new pressing

Terminator 3
* Some copies have the main feature encoded in 1080i when IME is not enabled

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have a PS3 and issues playing Disney blu rays? When I bought Peter Pan last month it got about a quarter way through the movie and decided it didn't want to play, same thing happened when I was watching Up last night. My firmware is up to date. I did lots of messing around with settings, turned the console on and off, cleared out the blu ray cache, etc. Finally I gave up and just threw the DVD on and there was no problem. Frustrating.

I have Up on blu-ray and I'll try it out later tonight in my PS3. Let you know if anything happens.

Just for reference, I have: Up 4 disc blu-ray combo (not the newer 3D blu-ray combo) and the Slim (not super slim) PS3.

[quote name='dualedge2']I have Up on blu-ray and I'll try it out later tonight in my PS3. Let you know if anything happens.

Just for reference, I have: Up 4 disc blu-ray combo (not the newer 3D blu-ray combo) and the Slim (not super slim) PS3.[/QUOTE]

I have a slim and haven't had any trouble with Up, Brave, Wreck it Ralph, or any others that i can think of. Sorry I don't have any real advice for you though

[quote name='El Rey']Anyone have a PS3 and issues playing Disney blu rays? When I bought Peter Pan last month it got about a quarter way through the movie and decided it didn't want to play, same thing happened when I was watching Up last night. My firmware is up to date. I did lots of messing around with settings, turned the console on and off, cleared out the blu ray cache, etc. Finally I gave up and just threw the DVD on and there was no problem. Frustrating.[/QUOTE]

It's your PS3, there might be something wrong with your bluray laser. I've watched almost every Disney bluray on my PS3 without any issue.

[quote name='El Rey']Anyone have a PS3 and issues playing Disney blu rays? When I bought Peter Pan last month it got about a quarter way through the movie and decided it didn't want to play, same thing happened when I was watching Up last night. My firmware is up to date. I did lots of messing around with settings, turned the console on and off, cleared out the blu ray cache, etc. Finally I gave up and just threw the DVD on and there was no problem. Frustrating.[/QUOTE]

Try making sure you are not connected to the internet. I know when I use my ps3 it always asks me about connecting to the internet before playing a blray. If you are not saying no, try selecting no or go into your settings and change it there. I have heard of issues before when it is connected to the internet.

[quote name='UltimateIdiot911']It's your PS3, there might be something wrong with your bluray laser. I've watched almost every Disney bluray on my PS3 without any issue.[/QUOTE]

Its not the laser. Other movies, other Disney movies even (watched Wreck It Ralph a couple weeks ago), have worked. Just those two titles so far that haven't.

[quote name='skate4music']Try making sure you are not connected to the internet. I know when I use my ps3 it always asks me about connecting to the internet before playing a blray. If you are not saying no, try selecting no or go into your settings and change it there. I have heard of issues before when it is connected to the internet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I tried that as well. It seemed to work for a few minutes then it just stopped again. Not a huge deal but definitely annoying.

I just watched treasure planet and half way through the movie the image is skipping as if the disc was scratched. It lasts 6 or so seconds and then works flawlessly. I checked and it's not scratched. I have no clue what to do. Do I return it to best buy or contact Disney?

[quote name='Rob26Smith']I just watched treasure planet and half way through the movie the image is skipping as if the disc was scratched. It lasts 6 or so seconds and then works flawlessly. I checked and it's not scratched. I have no clue what to do. Do I return it to best buy or contact Disney?[/QUOTE]I would exchange it with Best Buy and if the second copy does it, contact Disney.

One copy may be a disc that failed in the creation process, two may be indicative of a bad batch.

You should also check Blu-Ray.com and some of the other sites like it to see if there's complaints about it from users there.

[quote name='El Rey']Its not the laser. Other movies, other Disney movies even (watched Wreck It Ralph a couple weeks ago), have worked. Just those two titles so far that haven't.

Thanks I tried that as well. It seemed to work for a few minutes then it just stopped again. Not a huge deal but definitely annoying.[/QUOTE]

I watched UP the whole way through with no problems at all. Do you have another blu-ray player? See if it plays smoothly on another one. As some have said, it could be a problem with your PS3.

Went to watch From Up on Poppy Hill today and the audio on the Bluray sounds like it's coming from through a fish bowl. Anyone else noticed this?

Andybody have a Blu-ray not playable on a PS4? I got this image when I tried X-men: First Class today. 

securedownload_zpse594010f.jpg
I wanna watch it. =(

Andybody have a Blu-ray not playable on a PS4? I got this image when I tried X-men: First Class today.
Never... but I don't have a PS4 and I'm not sure how many PS4 users are in this thread... You might want to check the PS4 subforum and/or Sony's official PlayStation forum.

I've also seen quite a few reports of the X-men First Class blu skipping / not even playing on many peoples devices (most of amazons 1-star ratings are people ranting at such), including PS3's. Haven't picked up a copy because of this (only blu-ray player I have is the ps3), but I also suggest putting that title in the OP.
I never had problems playing X-men First Class on my PS3 but PS4, I get a red screen telling me to update. PS4 has latest update and I'm still scratching my head.

Not sure if this has been said already. Falling Skies Season 1 is horrible it looks like a chopped and screwed mixtape all pixilated. The Protector with Tony Jaa english audio wont even work and the subtitles hardly worked.

Lionsgate has produced a seemingly higher number of defective discs than any other manufacturer in my collection. My firmware was always current when playing their titles, my player and its laser have shown no issues, and the discs were bought new with no visible defects.

Titles:

Weeds: Season Six

Chaplin (Amazon sold a big batch of new copies through their Warehouse deals front and there were numerous reports of defective discs. One person claimed it would play in a PC BD-drive only.)

Jacob's Ladder

If you acquire a Lionsgate disc that was released between 2010 and 2011 and could have been possibly produced in the same period, make sure it works if you have not tested it before. The issue generally occurs in the form of the disc not being recognized by the player. Weeds would start normally on its first disc, but then it would gradually skip about. Chaplin and Weeds S6 were released within a week of each other.

Lionsgate has no customer service at all. They send an automatic reply saying to update your firmware if contacted. The issue is ignored entirely. They are worthless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beware of buying Disney blu-rays from Amazon. My wife just opened the Lilo and Stitch double pack that I got her for Christmas and THERE WERE NO DISCS IN THE CASE.

And about two months ago I had to return our Peter Pan blu-ray from Amazon because it had the wrong movie in the case.

These were purchased "new". I don't know what the fuck Amazon is trying to pull, but it's some shady shit.

Beware of buying Disney blu-rays from Amazon. My wife just opened the Lilo and Stitch double pack that I got her for Christmas and THERE WERE NO DISCS IN THE CASE.

And about two months ago I had to return our Peter Pan blu-ray from Amazon because it had the wrong movie in the case.

These were purchased "new". I don't know what the fuck Amazon is trying to pull, but it's some shady shit.
I've never had that issue with any Disney BD's I've purchased, so I hope it's just an isolated incident.

I've never had that issue with any Disney BD's I've purchased, so I hope it's just an isolated incident.
One time I'd consider an isolated case, but twice to the same customer?

I can't imagine that these were shipped from the manufacturing plant like that. As I said, both were purchased new from Amazon, fulfilled by Amazon. However the inner cases were sealed with that second hand cheap heat shrink.

I'm just saying be wary. Make sure that you check them before the return period ends.

One time I'd consider an isolated case, but twice to the same customer?

I can't imagine that these were shipped from the manufacturing plant like that. As I said, both were purchased new from Amazon, fulfilled by Amazon. However the inner cases were sealed with that second hand cheap heat shrink.

I'm just saying be wary. Make sure that you check them before the return period ends.
Sounds like someone at Amazon pulled a fast one, or a couple of customer returns gone wrong with someone doing disc removals beforehand.

I know I've ordered most of my Disney movies there and I've yet to see one with missing movies to-date.

My Blu-Ray of 2012 is defective. I bought it at least two years ago, but right after I got it my Blu-Ray player died and it was months before I got another BD player to watch it on. Messes up right near the end and freezes in two different chapters, which ones I don't recall specifically, but I remember in one of them it was only seconds into the chapter and made for a bad viewing experince as you miss out on a lot of story content.

bread's done
Back