Blu-Ray masters who own the Xbox One

Err, pretty sure that's a rhetorical question.  Of course if you run the audio through a receiver to a speaker system, that would be the best way to present audio.  It has an optical out (which you would need to use if you want surround sound for TV since the HDMI in only spits out stereo when hooked up to the X1) as the best audio solution, via TV or receiver.

Not really sure what you're asking here TBH.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but here are the digital audio options under settings. HDMI audio: Off, Stereo uncompressed, 5.1 uncompressed, 7.1 uncompressed, or DTS Digital Surround. Optical audio: Off, Stereo uncompressed, DTS Digital Surround. 

Yeah basically I'm asking if blu-rays with HD Master Audio will output that way.

But you brought up another good point. I would like surround sound with the TV. it's annoying and the only thing I really can blast about the system. If I run the optical audio cord from the Xbox One to the receiver it will be surround sound? How does it know which audio source to draw from?

They have a beta setting for getting surround sound for TV, but as far as I can tell, it only works for DTS. I'm hoping a future update will add Dolby. I think it outputs to both unless you turn one off in settings. I have an optical cable going to my receiver and sound still comes from my tv if I have it's volume turned up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah basically I'm asking if blu-rays with HD Master Audio will output that way.

But you brought up another good point. I would like surround sound with the TV. it's annoying and the only thing I really can blast about the system. If I run the optical audio cord from the Xbox One to the receiver it will be surround sound? How does it know which audio source to draw from?
I don't have a Xbox One yet, but keep in mind that any HD audio (DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD, Uncompressed LPCM 5.1 and 7.1) will require an HDMI cable. HD audio cannot be transmitted with an optical cable. The optical will work for standard digital audio (Dolby Digital, DTS, LPCM 2.0).

You may want to check AVS forums. They live and breath this stuff.

Ok thanks. I'll check there.

Yeah as far as the beta surround for TV, I can't even find it. It's not in the audio settings options. Unless I'm blind.

Wondering if the Xbox One outputs the HD master audio. I read if it's run through a receiver it's the best audio but would love an audiophile explanation.
No, it doesn't allow you to bitstream HD audio (or possibly any audio) from the disc. It decodes internally. Running bitstreamed audio to a receiver doesn't necessarily get you the 'best audio', since it just moves the decoding stage from the blu-ray player to your receiver. Both devices ought to have identical decoding behavior for the HD audio formats since they're lossless, so you should get the same audio no matter whether you're bitstreaming or decoding in the player.

The reason it does this is that by decoding the audio itself, it can then manipulate the audio. This means disc menu noises, and Xbox overlay noises are able to be added on top of the blu-ray/DVD audio and sent to your receiver. When you bitstream, the audio of the movie itself is sent as it is on the disc to the receiver, so nothing can be added to that. This means that sounds that they expect to put on top of the film's audio (like the disc menu noises) cannot be there.

Hope that helps.

bread's done
Back