Blu Ray Player Question(s)

Frankski

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Hey all

I figure since most people here have a PS3, this isn't something alot of us have looked in to. However, I am in the market for a stand alone Blu Ray Player for my dad for Father's Day. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is it necessary (either now or in the foreseeable [near] future) to have internet capabilities on the player?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Frank(ski) out

i would definitely recommend internet capability in order to get updated firmware that might be released (sometimes even required in order to play newer blu rays ex Avatar). I would also recommend one that is able to stream netflix. I have a xbox downstairs but recently got a samsung blu ray player that can stream netflix in my bedroom and i love it.

here are models that work with netflix. I have a Samsung and i love it.

http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices

BEWARE: Most of these will not work wirelessly without some sort of added accessory (i paid $40 for mine)

I bought a Panasonic DMP BD60 model for my wife to use in a different room than where my PS3 is. It was around $120 and it works great. It's very quick, can be hooked up to the internet for updates, BDLive, etc, and just works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275005831&sr=1-2

It's around $148 on Amazon right now, I got mine from Buy.com on the Monday or whatever after Thanksgiving when websites were having all of the deals. It was I think $120 or so after shipping.

If you want quality get something like a Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, or even one of the new Onkyos. Players that stream generally lack in overall quality, yet aren't bad at all. You can burn a firmware update cd and pop in the in player if it doesn't have a network connection. If you must have Netflix pick up an LG player, They are among the most reliable this year. You can find open-box Samsung players in best buy that they'll probably let go for $50 because it's difficult to update the firmware. Remember, the players on the floor for under $250 have color outputs of about 8 to 16, the ones I first mention output 48.

[quote name='Mrsavetheworld']If you want quality get something like a Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, or even one of the new Onkyos. Players that stream generally lack in overall quality, yet aren't bad at all. You can burn a firmware update cd and pop in the in player if it doesn't have a network connection. If you must have Netflix pick up an LG player, They are among the most reliable this year. You can find open-box Samsung players in best buy that they'll probably let go for $50 because it's difficult to update the firmware. Remember, the players on the floor for under $250 have color outputs of about 8 to 16, the ones I first mention output 48.[/QUOTE]

You didn't mention the best bluray player out there which is an oppo unit.

What do you mean by color outputs? I'm not sure if that has any bearing on a bd player.

[quote name='Mrsavetheworld']If you want quality get something like a Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, or even one of the new Onkyos. Players that stream generally lack in overall quality, yet aren't bad at all. You can burn a firmware update cd and pop in the in player if it doesn't have a network connection. If you must have Netflix pick up an LG player, They are among the most reliable this year. You can find open-box Samsung players in best buy that they'll probably let go for $50 because it's difficult to update the firmware. Remember, the players on the floor for under $250 have color outputs of about 8 to 16, the ones I first mention output 48.[/QUOTE]

Spend $300 or less and get one that does Blu-ray, DVD, Amazon VOD, VuDu etc. Personally, I'd get a LG BD570 or a BD590 (internal HD) as it does nearly everything under the sun (VuDu, Netflix, Cinemanow, Pandora, MKV etc.) At this point WiFi is essentially 'free' with most units so if you do decide on a non-LG, try and get a WiFi unit to make firmware updates easier for him and he can enjoy Netflix. Telling him to pick up a Denon, Yamaha etc. is just not going to happen.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Spend $300 or less and get one that does Blu-ray, DVD, Amazon VOD, VuDu etc. Personally, I'd get a LG BD570 or a BD590 (internal HD) as it does nearly everything under the sun (VuDu, Netflix, Cinemanow, Pandora, MKV etc.) At this point WiFi is essentially 'free' with most units so if you do decide on a non-LG, try and get a WiFi unit to make firmware updates easier for him and he can enjoy Netflix. Telling him to pick up a Denon, Yamaha etc. is just not going to happen.[/QUOTE]

If you want to spend the big bucks, it has the best upscaler on the market from anchor bay, and plays high end audio discs like super audio cd, and dvd audio. It also has a pretty high end DAC. By big bucks, I mean around $450. It's the best all around out there.

[quote name='ilivas']If you want to spend the big bucks, it has the best upscaler on the market from anchor bay, and plays high end audio discs like super audio cd, and dvd audio. It also has a pretty high end DAC. By big bucks, I mean around $450. It's the best all around out there.[/QUOTE]

I doubt his dad cares about the best upscaler on the market (That would go to several other now discontinued players though) or playing two dead Audio CD formats. He is asking about a player for his dad, not an audio/videophile.

I'd also recommend the LG models, especially the 590, as it has built-in wi-fi so he doesn't have to run an ethernet cord for web capabilities like Netflix, etc.

He might not need those features now, but you never know. Blu-ray owners have a tendency to explore their home theater options a bit more than a J6P.

[quote name='Sylin']I'd also recommend the LG models, especially the 590, as it has built-in wi-fi so he doesn't have to run an ethernet cord for web capabilities like Netflix, etc.

He might not need those features now, but you never know. Blu-ray owners have a tendency to explore their home theater options a bit more than a J6P.[/QUOTE]

Unless he needs an Internal HD, save $100 and grab the 570 since it's WiFi as well.

Weren't there a lot of issues with the LG 570/590s freezing/etc and firmware updates were only making things worse? I remember reading about problems with them and noticing that the Best Buys near me seemed to have a lot boxed up as "open box" sales (i.e., returns).

My parents have the Panasonic BD60 and it's been fantastic.. no problems at all. I upgraded their firmware once or twice but that was it.

I'd recommend a Panasonic as well. I have a DMP-BD35 in my bedroom, and it's been great. I've got a BD65 coming from Amazon to replace the PS3 in my living room. The PS3 has been excellent for Blu-rays, but I just don't game on it, so I'm getting a cheaper player. I'd get the Oppo if my budget was larger, but I'm confident the Panny will get the job done very well.

[quote name='Justin42']Weren't there a lot of issues with the LG 570/590s freezing/etc and firmware updates were only making things worse? I remember reading about problems with them and noticing that the Best Buys near me seemed to have a lot boxed up as "open box" sales (i.e., returns).

My parents have the Panasonic BD60 and it's been fantastic.. no problems at all. I upgraded their firmware once or twice but that was it.[/QUOTE]

All the LG problems have been solved (so far). There will always be a few glitches here and there, but no where near as bad as Samsungs have been.

[quote name='Sylin']
He might not need those features now, but you never know. Blu-ray owners have a tendency to explore their home theater options a bit more than a J6P.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that will be so true anymore now that Blu Ray players and discs have fallen down to pretty much the range of DVD players and discs over the past few years.

Before it was true, but really because only people who care about a/v quality already were going to pay the premium for the players and discs.

But now it's priced in the J6P range and I don't think buying one will turn them into videophiles. Just like moving from VHS to DVD didn't turn them into videophiles.

bread's done
Back