Blu-Ray PS3 playback with moving discolored lines?

Ravenous

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Okay guys Im seeing something weird with my PS3, can anyone diagnose this?

I got a PS3 about a month ago, ordered some component cables and thay came in today. Plugged em in and my PS3 movies and games look like shit! On the PS3 menu, during the movie, as long as the player is on, all I see are lines of varying thickness (they seem green or yellow colored) going from the bottom of the screen to the top. Its some kind of scan and I dont know what it is. The problem is, I dont know if its the wires, PS3, or movie.

I have one bluray movie and you can see em real bad. I tested a regular DVD and it had them too, not as bad. Oddly enough the picture looked worse than a regular DVD player. Not cause of the lines, just granier and rough edged. Whats up with that?

I have the PS3 on 1080i (I dont have p) and am using a digital output. I never noticed the picture like this before but I had it hooked up with 480i. The component cables are a generic brand from China (I got my Wii ones from the same place, dont have this problem) and were cheap. Any ideas or help?

Try the A/V cables that the ps3 comes with and see what it looks like. If everything works as it should then it's most likely the cables that you ordered are defective. Return them for another pair.

Of course this would be way easier to diagnose if you had another pair of the same type you ordered, cause it could be that the digital out is messed up.

Note: I'm not a PS3 hardware expert.

Probably a ground loop. Do you have cable TV going to the same TV? That might be causing it. The most concealable way to fix this is to buy a three prong plug to two prong socket adapter and rip off anything having to do with the third prong on the adapter. The cheapass way is to snip off the third prong on the PS3's power cord. This has worked for many people.

No, you don't need the third prong on the PS3 for anything at all. It's just a relic from the PS3's PC roots. You don't have to worry about anything happening to your PS3 or having your PS3 blow up or shock you and kill you or start a fire or anything. The third prong is earth ground, and since your PS3 is seeing two paths to ground, it's freaking the screen out. That's it.

Yea I tried it with the AV supplied cables and the lines arent there. So thats good but Im wondering if its just the progressive output of the PS3. However since I had it on 1080i, it should have looked fine.

I got the cables from Dealextreme, its gonna be a pain in the ass to do an exchange. Should I do an HDMI test to see if it is my digital out. I know people with HDMI TVs but no one else has a PS3 except 2 cousins who live way too far from me. All my friends are XBox owners.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Probably a ground loop. Do you have cable TV going to the same TV? That might be causing it. The most concealable way to fix this is to buy a three prong plug to two prong socket adapter and rip off anything having to do with the third prong on the adapter. The cheapass way is to snip off the third prong on the PS3's power cord. This has worked for many people.

No, you don't need the third prong on the PS3 for anything at all. It's just a relic from the PS3's PC roots. You don't have to worry about anything happening to your PS3 or having your PS3 blow up or shock you and kill you or start a fire or anything. The third prong is earth ground, and since your PS3 is seeing two paths to ground, it's freaking the screen out. That's it.[/quote]

I actually just read about that quick fix solution. Cable is hooked up to the TV, but its basic. I DO NOT have a cable box, incase that makes a difference. My only problem with the quick fix is, if I mess with the AC cord and hacksaw off the ground, will that void my warranty? Also, I will later switch to HDMI when I get a new TV. Would I still get that interference with HDMI or is it only a component problem?

Thanks for the help guys. Ive been all over this all day researching and racking my brain. Im am totally pissed

Yup that was the problem, but I found an easy way to do this. I got an old extension cord and hacked off the hard plastic piece that prevents you from using earth ground, than plugged it in with the earth ground exposed. Worked like a charm.

Unfortunatley, regular DVD movies look like shit still on my PS3. Like a 480i pircture. Doesnt the PS3 upscale?

[quote name='Ravenous']I actually just read about that quick fix solution. Cable is hooked up to the TV, but its basic. I DO NOT have a cable box, incase that makes a difference. My only problem with the quick fix is, if I mess with the AC cord and hacksaw off the ground, will that void my warranty? Also, I will later switch to HDMI when I get a new TV. Would I still get that interference with HDMI or is it only a component problem?[/quote]

I've heard about it affecting HDMI, too. I don't have an HDTV, so I can't say for sure. As for voiding the warranty, I don't know. I don't know if Sony requires you to send back the cable, but it's just a cable. There's not a lot that can go wrong there. And Microsoft doesn't ask you to return the power supply when they ship you a coffin.

But if something did happen, I would call them, tell them you lost the cable because you were traveling with your PS3, and ask them to sell you a new one. After that, call them back about your real problem. It requires patience, but that's why it's the cheapass method.

Good to know the fix helped you out. Basic cable has no bearing on the situation. It's any type of cable. I don't know about DVDs, though. Maybe somebody else knows.

[quote name='Ravenous']Yup that was the problem, but I found an easy way to do this. I got an old extension cord and hacked off the hard plastic piece that prevents you from using earth ground, than plugged it in with the earth ground exposed. Worked like a charm.

Unfortunatley, regular DVD movies look like shit still on my PS3. Like a 480i pircture. Doesnt the PS3 upscale?[/quote]I've never actually tried viewing DVDs on an hdtv with the ps3. I think the ps3 has upscaling options (under blu ray/dvd settings I think), though. Try messing with them to see if that improves things.

The way it sounded, I thought maybe your cords were hooked up wrong. I've bought component cables in the past that had the wrong colors marked (ie, green was blue & blue was green or something).

bread's done
Back